Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I do that then I'll see YouTube ads before videos.

1Blocker's goal isn't to remove YT ads. If it does, it's just a happy coincidence.

Use a real ad-blocking app like ProTube instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

:qq: my piracy isn't working properly :qq:
Blocking ads is piracy ahahahahahahaha

Someone make this the new thread title, gently caress

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Why are there no decent trivia apps anymore? A few years back, I would play QRank everyday. Since that shut down, I've yet to find anything comparable.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aggro posted:

Why are there no decent trivia apps anymore? A few years back, I would play QRank everyday. Since that shut down, I've yet to find anything comparable.
Is QuizUp still a thing? It was super popular for a while.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

QuizUo is excellent and cross platform

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just noticed that I can't search by episode name in Overcast. Do any of the other good podcast apps let me search by episode name?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there is a way to cap the age on an Overcast smart playlist?

I want a list of new episodes sorted oldest to newest that doesn't include all of the months-old or years-old backlog episodes that I have queued up to listen to eventually.

The closest I can get is to sort "All Episodes" oldest to newest, then scroll all the way to the bottom and start listening after all of the backlog stuff. This is inconvenient.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I'm having trouble remembering how much water I've drank. Is there an app that can remind me to drink and keep track of it?

Unrelated, also looking for a weather and grocery list app that I can share with my gf.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

I'm having trouble remembering how much water I've drank. Is there an app that can remind me to drink and keep track of it?
How about just drink when you're thirsty?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Ha I didnt spend this much money on an unlocked device to have it not do poo poo for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

Unrelated, also looking for a weather and grocery list app that I can share with my gf.

Set up a shared reminder list and use Siri to add/manage items.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Alright thanks. And what's a good podcast app?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

Alright thanks. And what's a good podcast app?
You already asked about Pocketcasts vs. Overcast.

I'm convinced you're just a lovely troll at this point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He is a goldfish

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

GoldfishStew posted:

do you know of a good app i can use to track haircuts?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

I think myfitnesspal has the water tracking thing.

I use Storm for weather but I don't think that's the goon favorite.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm convinced you're just a lovely troll at this point.

100% troll. Next he'll ask if the saddle brown case is any good.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Only jerkoffs use cases.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone here use Dashlane?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

I use it to track haircuts.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Blocking ads is piracy ahahahahahahaha

Someone make this the new thread title, gently caress

Unironically, for Youtube ads, especially if you're in a place where Youtube Red exists.

There's no malware problem with youtube ads so you don't have that figleaf either.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It's not piracy to block a domain name, hth

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dexter6 posted:

I'm wondering what the best one on iOS is, I think I was spoiled with LastPass' password fill helper on Android. Having to copy my password manually sucks a little bit but I'm not sure if any other iOS password manager apps have fared better.

I am tempted to switch from LastPass either way because, well, they don't have a great track record.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i haven't tried dashlane but i've used 1password for years. wish more app devs integrated it though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My favorite music playing app, CarTunes, hasn't been updated in years and is 32bit. Does anyone have a good alternative music player that lets you control it via gestures? I use this so I don't have to look at my phone while I'm driving, but also to have large text and album art on the screen when I'm using it.

Here's CarTunes to give an example to the UI I'm talking about :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartunes-music-player/id415408192?mt=8

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

IUG posted:

My favorite music playing app, CarTunes, hasn't been updated in years and is 32bit. Does anyone have a good alternative music player that lets you control it via gestures? I use this so I don't have to look at my phone while I'm driving, but also to have large text and album art on the screen when I'm using it.

Here's CarTunes to give an example to the UI I'm talking about :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartunes-music-player/id415408192?mt=8

Cesium doesn't have large text from what I can tell but it does have gesture controls and a fairly nice interface.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

I'm wondering what the best one on iOS is, I think I was spoiled with LastPass' password fill helper on Android. Having to copy my password manually sucks a little bit but I'm not sure if any other iOS password manager apps have fared better.

I am tempted to switch from LastPass either way because, well, they don't have a great track record.

Both 1password and LP have a button in the share pane on iPhones.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok this might sound like I want to track my water consumption, but is there an app that can tell me what fruits and vegetables are currently in season in my area? I always forget.

There's sites like this but I feel like it could be done better http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/whats-in-season-spring

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Ok this might sound like I want to track my water consumption, but is there an app that can tell me what fruits and vegetables are currently in season in my area? I always forget.

There's sites like this but I feel like it could be done better http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/whats-in-season-spring

That's a legit good idea for an app.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Goons get together to make a produce app!

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have no programming skills but I would love to be involved on any level where I could take credit for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It wouldn't need to connect to anything online, right? Just enter data into an internal database and present it in a nice way?

Sounds like a lot of work. :effort:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Housh posted:

Goons get together to make a produce app!

BodyMaintenance.app

It also tracks haircuts!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are there any options for free manual camera apps? I just need to control shutter speed and aperture, and maybe ISO.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All iOS cameras are fixed aperture as far as I know.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are.

You can adjust ISO and shutter speed in apps like Camera+, but the aperture is fixed.

However it is wide open at f/1.8 on the 7/7plus. But with the small lens, you still get a pretty deep field.

The only way I've seen to get depth of field effects is when you manually set the focus to a fairly close subject (like within 24 inches). You can exaggerate this with clip on lens kits. The only other option is to use post-processing blur plug-ins to recreate it, but you won't get that sweet bokeh artifact. If wielded poorly, post processing blur can look really really obvious, but the plugins and techniques have been improving over the years.

EDIT: Forgot to add, on the 7plus, portrait mode in the native app does a software mode depth of field effect and it's not terrible.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 18, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Right, oops.

Are there any free ones? Camera+ is perfect but it's also $3, which won't work in this situation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like a "what fruits/vegetables are in season" app wouldn't really do much. For one it's gonna be highly dependent on your location. I mean I think places like Southern California and Arizona are basically like "gently caress you nature I'll grow year round."

Besides the whole point of buying things in season is to reduce the ecological burden of it all but since most people just go to Kroger or Walmart it's not gonna matter at all since those companies are basically saying "gently caress you climate, I'm paying for this plane/truck to ship me goods from an ocean away because 99% of the people want cheap poo poo."

Your best bet is to shop every weekend at your local farmer market. Like find a real one where the farmers or friends/kids of theirs actually show up, not the plethora one fake ones nowadays that just sell repackaged groceries.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a cell data tracking app that sends you a notification when you go over your daily "budget"? I'm currently using DataMan Pro, which is great but doesn't seem to have this feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just noticed that I can't search by episode name in Overcast. Do any of the other good podcast apps let me search by episode name?

iCatcher lets you search titles and show notes. It's really an extremely good podcast app. I am not a power podcast user, though, whatever the gently caress that is anyway.

It's a great app that Just Works.