Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

How many of the PS2 SMT games on the PS3 have issues? The first Raidou game had slowdown, and Digital Devil Saga is slow all the time (I dropped that one and might move on to DDS2). I half-hope that they get released to PS4 because it seems those are emulated with better care.

Is DDS1 supposed to be "fast"? The game just looked like everything was animated very slowly, be it running on the map or using attacks in battle or whatever. I had no interest in finishing the game for a variety of reasons but there are these enemies at the end who always use Revert to force you back into your human form and it takes forever. The game just felt like it was sluggish by design and I couldn't stand it. I mean, I could if the story or characters were more compelling but they weren't so....

Nocturne seemed fine though. I only ever played it on PS3 and it was awesome. I have many more SMT games to play but Nocturne was easily my second favorite next to P4G. I would love to replay it again when I have a new PS3 or a better PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

if the story or characters were more compelling but they weren't so....

:chloe:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DDS1 and 2 are some of the only SMT games they actually made cutscenes for, so there's some novelty value there if nothing else.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

TurnipFritter posted:

DDS1 and 2 are some of the only SMT games they actually made cutscenes for, so there's some novelty value there if nothing else.

Uh, I don't know if it's that novel when all the PS2 titles apply.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

freshlybaked posted:

Uh, I don't know if it's that novel when all the PS2 titles apply.

The Raidou and Persona games almost exclusively rely on portraits over a mostly static scene with the occasional FMV/animated scene, while DDS tends to actually, like, use camera angles.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
questions for my Megamates, is it easy to keep everyone alive in Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked? or does it require some walkthrough voodoo magic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

questions for my Megamates, is it easy to keep everyone alive in Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked? or does it require some walkthrough voodoo magic

It is incredibly super easy. There is only one person even a little odd and it's the first person who can die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's super easy from what i remember, you just go save them when the game tells you to. the only real trick i can remember is the io stuff on day six, where you need to be nice to her and have her fate level up to a certain point

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

this is from awhile back (I can read the thread again since I finally put P5 down) but I was the person that played a bunch of IMAGINE. i won't defend it, it was pretty bad, but it had a decent amount of charm and the multiplayer dungeon crawls were pretty fun when I was a small teen

also you could get this as a mount

Metallia fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 13, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Cu Chulainn is good, but Alice is better :colbert:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Alice is great but I hate her stupid new teddy bears.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

it's super easy from what i remember, you just go save them when the game tells you to. the only real trick i can remember is the io stuff on day six, where you need to be nice to her and have her fate level up to a certain point

You'd almost have to deliberately ignore her for the whole game to fail to meet the Fate requirement, it's set pretty low. So don't do that.

The one I remember people having the most trouble with is the day when the game asks you to search for some memory for a computer. The timing on that event is a little tight and it's possible to fail it if you dick around and do unrelated things first. As a general rule, whenever you're trying to save someone you should look for events that aren't your party members' normal Fate events and do those as a priority.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

Cu Chulainn is good, but Alice is better :colbert:

I hope you're implying that Alice will also pick me off my feet and carry me where I need to go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

freshlybaked posted:

I hope you're implying that Alice will also pick me off my feet and carry me where I need to go.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Metallia posted:

this is from awhile back (I can read the thread again since I finally put P5 down) but I was the person that played a bunch of IMAGINE. i won't defend it, it was pretty bad, but it had a decent amount of charm and the multiplayer dungeon crawls were pretty fun when I was a small teen

also you could get this as a mount

Someone needs to get Yoshi-P to see this because FF14 desperately needs this MMO tech.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i would die for her

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I change my mind, this is much preferable and I wish Cu Chulainn did this.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
For all its flaws, SMT Imagine had some of the best mounts in MMO history

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mandatory lesbian posted:

i would die for her

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm up to August in Persona 3 Portable, so I know it about halfway through at this point, but when I get to Persona 4 Golden, what the best way to get stats? 3 had only three stats to deal with and the places at the strip mall would cover them during the day while at night the arcade machine (or mall hotspots), while in Persona 5 it was using the Fortune Teller with the basic stat spots

Mostly since I never got far in the Golden version, so I don't know if they added something like the Fortune Teller who makes getting the stats really quickly or I am just going to have to wait for rainy days for the Beef Bowl Challenge?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Building stats in Golden isn't significantly changed from vanilla P4, so it's still mostly through books, jobs, studying, S.Links, and beef bowls.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Yeah, just take a trip to the meat dimension whenever possible.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Also, certain options during cutscenes can give you stats as well (asking if everyone's alright when you first go into the TV World, for example).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I wanted Yusuke to carry Joker after the palace.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alder posted:

Can he still be holding lobsters in his hand as well?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rirse posted:

Can he still be holding lobsters in his hand as well?

Sure, why not.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Alder posted:

:yeah:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
IMAGINE was a really cool, very unique MMO that executed almost all of its ideas really poorly. The variety in mounts is one of the unquestionably good parts of the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SMT4A's skill design is really baffling to me. Why does it cost 65 MP to use two debuffs at once? Why is Debilitate literally twice as expensive as it was in vanilla SMT4? Why can Salvation no longer heal ailments if you're not smirking? :psyduck:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You're meant to only use those skills on Demons with high Affinity for those skilltypes, since they get lowered MP costs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I can't believe there are people who don't like DDS1.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You gotta have people with bad opinions to balance it out, unfortunately

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

You're meant to only use those skills on Demons with high Affinity for those skilltypes, since they get lowered MP costs.

Does it really help that much?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

SMT4A's skill design is really baffling to me. Why does it cost 65 MP to use two debuffs at once? Why is Debilitate literally twice as expensive as it was in vanilla SMT4? Why can Salvation no longer heal ailments if you're not smirking? :psyduck:
I think that, by trying to balance everything, they may have made some skills harder to use in most "normal" battles. For the most part, and if possible, sticking Spirit or Energy Drain (one drains MP, the other does both HP and MP; can't for the life of me recall which one did what) in a demon with a large mana pool + affinity for buff/debuff skills will have you covered. Or even Nanashi! When I got to level 50 and I was using Nanashi's Mahamaon / Mudoon / Blast Arrow to clear up random encounters, I tacked one of those 2 skills and it was just... groovy. :3:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think a big part of why Final's skills cost so much is because there's no real level cap so you can max out everything including HP and MP. It's still not ideal since it makes them more awkward to realistically use and by the time you care enough to get Absurd Values the costs don't really matter. If it's like IV in this regard, then you'll be using first tier skills for attacks, for example, though with all of Final's fixes and improvements I'd be surprised if they didn't make better skills, well, better.

Basically, the costs of upper-end stuff needs to be tangible at all parts of the game since they're usually not spammable (without some kind of extra assistance, from Drain spells for example) at the end-game either.

(also Spirit is MP only; Energy is both)

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 17, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Another thing that annoys me about SMT4A is how you're not allowed to get more skill slots until you hit arbitrary levels. Why was this necessary?

That aside, Toki, if you can keep nuking hordes as soon as they appear, I think you and I are gonna get along just fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Marogareh posted:

I can't believe there are people who don't like DDS1.

Music was good. My favorite normal battle theme in any SMT game I've played. Also liked how it faded in for when you got Back Attacked. And since that happened all the time.... (the game did seem to have a particularly awful encounter rate but maybe that's just because everything is so slow)

But, well, I've been assured there's a plot in there somewhere. I think it was actually starting to appear as I got to the final dungeon. But I just couldn't stand how loving slow everything was (I had left DDS to play Persona 4) and I did not care about the big reveal to keep playing.

I felt more attachment to my demons in Nocturne than I did any of the characters in DDS. Heat especially got on my nerves as he reminded me of Albel from Star Ocean 3 what with the Crispin Freeman voice and being hilariously over-the-top edgy.

Maybe it's all really fascinating when you get to the end and then play the second game and all the hours of dungeoning you did actually pays off. But with my PS3 dead and my save gone, seems very unlikely I'll ever play the game again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 17, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Another thing that annoys me about SMT4A is how you're not allowed to get more skill slots until you hit arbitrary levels. Why was this necessary?

That aside, Toki, if you can keep nuking hordes as soon as they appear, I think you and I are gonna get along just fine.

I like that change as it makes choosing skills a lot more meaningful.

Toki's ability to handle hordes is a godsend for the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I just couldn't stand how loving slow everything was (I had left DDS to play Persona 4)

This might just be the most bizarrely ironic thing imaginable