Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Emrikol posted:

My theory has always been that the thief is a joke class designed to generate amusing anecdotes.

In my opinion there's really no fixing the Thief class without a major overhaul, and the existence of the Thief class in itself changes the dynamic of the game a great deal since it introduces a skill system and point-buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Emrikol posted:

My theory has always been that the thief is a joke class designed to generate amusing anecdotes.

I'm starting to think that amusing anecdotes are the prime output of the game. So, maybe I should make a system where all the classes are joke classes. (Maybe that's how DCC already works.)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

I'm starting to think that amusing anecdotes are the prime output of the game. So, maybe I should make a system where all the classes are joke classes. (Maybe that's how DCC already works.)

That's kind of how DCC already works. Though level 1 DCC characters are actually quite a bit more powerful than level 1 (A)D&D characters.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Halloween Jack posted:

In my opinion there's really no fixing the Thief class without a major overhaul, and the existence of the Thief class in itself changes the dynamic of the game a great deal since it introduces a skill system and point-buy.

The thief was certainly great for multi & dual-classing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I still want to know why it's so easy to climb walls though.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
You want it to be easy for people to climb out of pit traps.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

admanb posted:

Isn't that just a sling with +1 damage?

The larger point is that classic D&D was not supposed to be a heroic game. It was a grungy deathfest where getting out with the treasure alive was the only accomplishment you dreamed of and level 2 was a distant goal.

Yeah. It's pretty much just about feel at this point. Even dropping the +1 leaves them with a no ammo magical attack they can use on a round to round basis. It's hard to suggest giving away the full 1st level version as it is pretty much a gently caress your spell button against other casters. Maybe bump the damage up to d6, but honestly it's mostly about feel while getting the caster through it's most boring levels. After that, it's a thing that doesn't matter very much.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 16, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

slap me and kiss me posted:

You want it to be easy for people to climb out of pit traps.

The thief is designed for pratfalls. Emrikol's theory is pretty convincing.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

DalaranJ posted:

The thief is designed for pratfalls. Emrikol's theory is pretty convincing.

pre:
Joinville's Benny Hill Theme Music
(Illusion)

Range: 60 yds.                    Components: V, M
Duration: 1 turn/level            Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 20-ft. radius     Saving Throw: Special

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

What's the rationale behind thieves being so bad at the things they're supposed to do at low levels? And conversely, why is climbing walls so easy?

1. The thief is "bad" at these things, but they're also the only ones that can even attempt them.

Open locks is supposed to work even on magically locked enclosures
Climb walls is supposed to work even on completely sheer surfaces
Moving silently is supposed to work regardless of terrain, even on a squeaky wooden floor
Hiding in shadows is supposed to work even when the Thief is in plain sight

2. When Gygax first "designed" the Thief in Greyhawk, OD&D was only working with d4s, d8s, d6s, d12s, and d20s, so the "percentile" chance had to be done over 5% increments so that they could be represented by a d20 roll. When you cap at 100%, and your smallest increment is 5%, you need to start low to give yourself room to progress, so:

Open Locks started at 15% and capped out at level 12
Remove Traps started at 10% and capped out at level 13
Pickpocket and Move Silently started at 20% and capped out at level 12
Hide in Shadows started at 10% and capped out at level 14

And then, Climb Walls starts out as a 13% chance to fail (or 87% chance to succeed), with a 1% reduction in chance per level of the Thief. That 13% chance probably comes from rolling a 1 on an 8-sided die. (thanks to Halloween Jack for figuring this out)

3. So when we finally get to AD&D, we have percentile dice now, so the chance progression can be more fine-grained, but the game inherits the low base chance of the other skills and the high base chance of climbing walls anyway.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Reading this thread and skimming through the 52 pages -- now I've caught the retroclone tinkering bug goddammit :suicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So Exceptional Strength was created specifically for Fighters so that there'd be a Fighter-only advantage to being that class, right?

I was trying to find some more information about this, when I stumbled upon some "third-party" concepts for Exceptional Dexterity.

This first one comes from The Strategic Review Vol 2 Num 2, from April 1976:

It's fairly self-explanatory - if the Thief has 18 Dex, you roll percentiles for the added bonus.

This next one comes from Dragon Magazine #3, from October 1976 (you may remember that this is the same one with the Samurai class, the critical strike tables, and the "women character classes" articles)

There's no explanation for this one either, and unlike the first table, there's nothing to say that this specifically applies to Thieves. I would assume it would/should, though, as giving this to Fighters would really let them double-dip on the to-hit and damage rolls.

Using this table and Greyhawk's Exceptional Strength, a Fighter with 18/00 Strength and 18 (flat) Dexterity would have a +5 bonus to melee attack rolls, a +7 bonus to damage, and a -4 AC adjustment

while a Thief with 18 (flat) Strength and 18/00 Dexterity would have a +5 bonus to melee attack rolls, a +6 bonus to damage, and a -6 AC adjustment

(obviously such stats would be extremely rare under default rolling rules)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The version that just effects the thief abilities seems... really dumb? And completely misses the point of exceptional strength. If you want the thief to be better at thieving things, just increase their bases -- don't tie it to having an 18 in the stat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Emrikol posted:

I think it's simpler than that.

It's Bilbo Baggins. They made a class designed from a character from a novel, whose distinguishing trait is that he's a homebody thrown into the company of a bunch of professional warriors and adventurers (and one god-like being, who is naturally the wizard) and has to desperately scramble to keep up using whatever he's good at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah I'm not saying it's particularly well thought-out, I'm just saying it exists.

I mean, by most accounts even the Exceptional Strength thing is silly because by default 3d6-then-d100 flat rolling only a ridiculously small portion of a population would ever get it naturally, with the rest I imagine only getting it from Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

For weapon proficiency/specialization, I'd like a double-check if I'm grasping this correctly:

* Warriors start with 4 proficiency slots, Wizards start with 1, Priests start with 2, Rogues start with 2. (and then they gain more as they level at varying rates)

* You need to be Proficient in a weapon just to remove a penalty.

* Fighters (and no other Warriors) can spend a second proficiency slot on a weapon to get Weapon Specialization with it.

* If a Fighter is Specialized in a melee weapon, they get a +1 bonus to attack rolls, and a +2 to damage rolls.
* If a Fighter is Specialized in a ranged weapon, they get a +2 bonus to attack rolls within "point-blank" range.

* Specialization also gives you extra attacks earlier.

* Normally, a Warrior has 1 attack-per-round up to level 6, then 3/2 attacks-per-round starting level 7, then 2 attacks-per-round starting level 13.

* With Specialization, a Fighter (and not all Warriors) can have 3/2 attacks-per-round at level 1 right away, then 2 attacks-per-round at level 7, then 5/2 attacks-per-round at level 13. (and light crossbows, heavy crossbows, thrown daggers, thrown darts, and all other non-bow missile weapons get more attacks at different rates according to a table)
Basically.

Going from memory:

If you allow it then there is an extra layer ("double-specialized") that gives +3/+3 to the specific melee weapon.

Missile weapons have their own table that gives attacks/rnd by specialization. (I.e. the infamous darts and the garbage crossbows have different rates of fire.)

There was a one-of on specialization regarding bows that required the use of an extra proficiency slot. Unless it was going to make a weird thing at the table/with the group I usually just let a fighter have it if they wanted it. (I usually encouraged the "rounded" tactical group. So anyone able should have some kind of ranged weapon. Once again Fighters are better than everyone if they specialize with a longbow and save their pennies gold for a high-strength composite bow. I assume/guess this was the reason for the extra prof being required. Everyone talks about the broken darts, but the range on a longbow is a real bird mage killer. In 2e getting hit can ruin your spell very easily. Two or three arrows around w str bonus on each is rough. Like 200" (long, -5)range or something.)

If you allow the weapon groups from the Book of Fighters (I think thats where it was) then we allowed someone to take a small or broad group, and then specialize in a specific weapon from the group. (I.e. prof in "long blades" specialized with long sword".) If you use that book there are also the weapon styles that allow specialization for other effects. The 2H style give a serious bonus on initiative (this really only works if you are factoring listed speed factor into initiative), a weapon+shield style that allows for bashing, the good old 2w style 'ala the nature drow, and a 1h specialization that (I think) lets you switch a bonus to AC or attack.

Also remember that weapon damage was assigned based on size of target, not size of wielder. Longswords do 1d8 against small and 1d12 against large creatures. (I think you wrote up a ways that you were using wielder size? I mean thats fine (and makes sense, I also like the abusive "giant sized weapons" damage lists from Dragon) but I wanted to point out that the damage listing referred to the damage dealt based on target.)

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 17, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One of the things to keep in mind is that the Thief is supposed to be somewhat supernatural in nature, at least back when they were introduced in Supplement 1: Greyhawk, like the Hide In Shadows skill isn't just regular hiding, it's literally disappearing into the shadows, while regular hiding is something that's assumed to be something that the Thief(or indeed most characters) can pull off without having to roll anything if roleplayed properly, similar cases with the rest of the Thief skills

The problem is that Gygax kinda sucked at making things like that clear(there's a reason few people play either OD&D or AD&D 1e these days unless it's a Retroclone that makes things easier to understand, while plenty of people play BX/BECMI/RC D&D and AD&D 2e with the originals and not just Retroclones), so everyone assumed they were mundane skills(and Gygax never really tried to clarify since he wasn't a fan of any PC options besides Human Fighters in the first place*, and only included anything else as playable due to the demands of his players and Arneson), which is why the Thief is assumed to suck in most TSR versions of the game

*which is kinda ironic since Combat is a terrible option most of the time in TSR D&D for a whole bunch of reasons

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Basically.

Thanks!

drrockso20 posted:

One of the things to keep in mind is that the Thief is supposed to be somewhat supernatural in nature, at least back when they were introduced in Supplement 1: Greyhawk, like the Hide In Shadows skill isn't just regular hiding, it's literally disappearing into the shadows, while regular hiding is something that's assumed to be something that the Thief(or indeed most characters) can pull off without having to roll anything if roleplayed properly, similar cases with the rest of the Thief skills

Yeah I mentioned this in my earlier post but I do want to emphasize that the Thief can open magically locked locks, hide in plan sight, and climb up sheer surfaces.

The low percentage chance to Open Locks is also reflective that it's a percentage chance for what's essentially a Knock spell, and that if you were pitting the Thief against a mechanical-only lock, the expectation was that you'd either let the Thief open it for free or give them a big percentage bonus.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks!

Yeah I mentioned this in my earlier post but I do want to emphasize that the Thief can open magically locked locks, hide in plan sight, and climb up sheer surfaces.

The low percentage chance to Open Locks is also reflective that it's a percentage chance for what's essentially a Knock spell, and that if you were pitting the Thief against a mechanical-only lock, the expectation was that you'd either let the Thief open it for free or give them a big percentage bonus.

Argh, no. I wish this was true, but a close read of the 2e phb (pg 56) says otherwise:

"a thief can try to pick padlocks, combination locks, and solve puzzle locks... [picking locks requires tools and the thief suffers penalties if the tool is unsuitable] "
"this skill is far less useful when dealing with magic or invisible traps... [halve the skill when dealing with these]"
"a thief can never become hidden when a guard is watching him, no matter what his dice roll is"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even though the original texts may not support it, I do prefer the idea that anyone can be sneaky, but the thief's abilities are extraordinary. Philotomy wrote on it:

quote:

While I prefer to run without the Thief class, there are campaigns where I've allowed them. When I allow Thieves, their class skills are treated as extraordinary capabilities. That is, anyone can hide, but a Thief can hide in shadows. Anyone can move quietly, but a Thief can move silently, without even making a sound. Anyone can climb, but a Thief can climb sheer walls. Et cetera.

As an example, consider the act of sneaking up behind a human sentry. The Fighting Man takes of his mail and hard boots, and makes an effort to be quiet on his approach. I'd probably give him an increased chance of surprising the sentry: maybe 3 or 4 in 6, depending on the exact circumstances. If a Thief were trying the same thing, he'd use his move silently ability. If the Thief makes his roll, he's moving without making any audible noise, and since he's out of the sentry's line of sight (i.e. behind him), I'd give him automatic surprise. If the Thief failed his move silently roll, he made some noise, but he's still moving quietly; I'd give him the same chance to surprise as the stealthy Fighting Man (i.e. 3 or 4 in 6).

Granted, I find some of this finicky. I'm frankly not into the Old School Primer suggestion that DMs and PCs talk through the minute details of getting around a pit trap. Sure, I want the players to tell me what they're actually doing, but in the end it's not like typical dungeon traps make any mechanical sense, and in the end I'm going to call for a check (skill, save, or ability score, whatever) if it's doubtful that the PC can do what the player says they're doing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I'll cop to any confusion since I started the conversation under AD&D 2e and then went off on a tangent.

I'll admit that these definitions do shift around a bit.

From Greyhawk:

From Mentzer's Basic Set:

this removes the implication that Thieves can open even magically-locked locks, but then makes them the only class capable of opening any locks at all.

the descriptions of the Thief skills in the B/X sets are so generic as to have lost the Greyhawk meaning, if they were ever intended to be like that. The writing in Moldvay is even simpler than this.

From AD&D 1e:

this one then changes how Climb Walls are supposed to work, because now the wall need to be coarse and have ledges and cracks

and then for AD&D 2e, I acknowledge what you referenced in that PHB as being true

if we go even farther back than Greyhawk, Playing at the World has an article about the very first appearance of the Thief

this has the same "magical enclosures" phrase in Greyhawk that implies Thieves are also capable of unlocking magical locks, along with climbing "sheer surfaces"

this implies that hiding in shadows can also be done while on the move, not requiring stillness.

as an aside, that second part I highlighted implies that, at least for some players, if you couldn't pick a lock, you could always force it open, with the cost being that of time.

But yes, I do acknowledge that these definitions have changed across different editions, and I apologize for a jumbled point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey, it's not your fault that the language is inconsistent across several versions of a game that all came out within a few years.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Lockpicking is weird and annoying, I increasingly feel like. Like, if you're running old school there are 4 possible ways they can go down: you have a thief and make the check, have a thief and fail, try to kick it down and fail, try to kick it down and succeed.

Just saying "you can't go through this door" is boring--way more interesting is saying "you have to pay a price to get through it", and making it so that having a thief or rolling well makes that price way less prohibitive. The two big prices for stuff like this that's baked into the game are just time and noise (both of which cause wandering monster checks). So I've started using this system as a baseline, with special doors maybe having slightly modded results:

Lockpick attempt success: Unlock the door instantly and quietly, no time spent or noise generated.
Lockpick attempt failure: Unlock the door after 10 minutes of effort, no noise generated (although if there's something in the room it'll probably hear the players milling around directly outside for 10 minutes).
Kick down door success: Open the door instantly, make a ton of noise and roll a WMC.
Kick down door failure: Open the door after hacking away at it for a while (10 minutes if anyone has an axe, 30 otherwise), making a ton of noise the whole time.

If a door is special enough to be magically enchanted then maybe I'll make it so that you need a successful check to break through it, but even then only if it's more of a "unlock a side adventure" type of thing than a "well, time to go home I guess" type.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah a wandering monster check is like the default "failure with a cost" answer for a dungeon crawl.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well yeah I'm not saying it's particularly well thought-out, I'm just saying it exists.

I mean, by most accounts even the Exceptional Strength thing is silly because by default 3d6-then-d100 flat rolling only a ridiculously small portion of a population would ever get it naturally, with the rest I imagine only getting it from Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Older D&D and Retroclones: I'm not saying it's particularly well thought out, I'm just saying it exists.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Looking for a good retroclone/"Feels like old D&D" game for a hex crawl campaign. Hoping to tilt more towards heroic rather than shitfarmers-struggling-to-kill-goblins feel, as it's likely going to be a rotating campaign where whoever feels like hosting gets to run a party through their section of the hex map. Most of the players are familiar with 2e, and while I could just houserule things to allow for lighter play and expanded elements they like, I anticipate less resistance to a wholly new system getting houserules and modifiers.

Tactical combat isn't really a concern - while they'll be mapping things on graph paper, it's not something folks are too invested in. Mostly looking for something that's relatively modifiable. Let me know if more information is needed to learn which retroclone is the right one.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hedningen posted:

Looking for a good retroclone/"Feels like old D&D" game for a hex crawl campaign. Hoping to tilt more towards heroic rather than shitfarmers-struggling-to-kill-goblins feel, as it's likely going to be a rotating campaign where whoever feels like hosting gets to run a party through their section of the hex map. Most of the players are familiar with 2e, and while I could just houserule things to allow for lighter play and expanded elements they like, I anticipate less resistance to a wholly new system getting houserules and modifiers.

Tactical combat isn't really a concern - while they'll be mapping things on graph paper, it's not something folks are too invested in. Mostly looking for something that's relatively modifiable. Let me know if more information is needed to learn which retroclone is the right one.

If you want heroic you don't really want a retroclone. I'd just recommend 5E at that point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

admanb posted:

If you want heroic you don't really want a retroclone. I'd just recommend 5E at that point.

I mean, the works of Sine Nomine might fit the bill. Works like Spears of Dawn, Scarlet Heroes and Godbound certainly go for heroic. And all three have free verisions to demo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
5e isn't particularly heroic either. You're rolling up with 10+Con mod HP, which is maybe 5 to 6 HP more than what a retroclone would give you if you rolled.

And by level 20, when you're supposed to be defending the planes from existential threats, you get... an extra attack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd say both ACKS and DCC would work with some very minor tweaking

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Yeah, I figured that was the case - it's a weirdly specific plan. I guess my goals, more concretely, are closer to what I've read in ACK and Godbound - generally giving space for heroics - but the plan I'm describing is more of a "roll up six characters and have a stable of options for inevitable character death" sort of experience.

It's hard to balance the two - honestly, something that could handle quick character generation and building things around several competing "adventurer companies" where each map section has a different player-run company depending on who's running things. The rough pitch was "let's play D&D again!" and then a bunch of preferences that eventually settled on something where people could drop in and out and GM duties could rotate. Hex seemed like a good plan, and most folks seem to remember the game through some idealized lenses, so finding something to cover it would be good.

ACK seems a frontrunner from bare skimming, but I'm gonna keep looking around to see options. The hardest part is articulating what exactly my gaming group is looking for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Nightmares Underneath is also a pretty good candidate in my opinion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm also going to throw out that if the group is familiar with AD&D 2e, the retroclone For Gold & Glory is a direct clone of it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

DCC is definitely More Heroic OD&D once you get past the level zero funnel. Level 1 DCC characters have a lot of advantages.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

admanb posted:

DCC is definitely More Heroic OD&D once you get past the level zero funnel. Level 1 DCC characters have a lot of advantages.

Yeah if your players are smart and don't get too unlucky with rolls, DCC characters have a lot of survivability to them

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The Nightmares Underneath is also a pretty good candidate in my opinion

Oh this looks interesting, thanks for mentioning this system.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if anyone will be interested, but one of the guys in my (mostly tabletop wargames) group and I were talking about D&D/OSR and he decided to start up a PBP for us. Being a PBP, things are slow, but he's collected the first week's adventure, and will be serializing them on a blog.

We're using the Basic Fantasy ruleset in order to keep things light and fast, and are adventuring in the Thunder Rift setting (which I had never heard of before.) As players, we are trying to supply a lot of the flavor text, so whenever a character does or says something, it's usually the player writing it. The DM gathers it together and spruces things up if he needs to.

I don't know how if the blog will be updated weekly, or if it will be done at natural "chapter breaks," but hopefully, it will provide some entertainment. Please note that we can be smartasses, but we will try to hold off on the entire campaign devolving into dick jokes as long as possible.

Adventures in Thunder Rift

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

So here's your design question for the day, based off a discussion from general chat a bit ago.

You have to remove either 'classes' or 'attributes' from your game, which would you choose and why?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

So here's your design question for the day, based off a discussion from general chat a bit ago.

You have to remove either 'classes' or 'attributes' from your game, which would you choose and why?

Attributes, between it and Classes I'd say the latter is more important to the D&D experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DalaranJ posted:

Classes. Look at all the trouble people have creating characters like Conan. He's a Barbarian/Fighter/Rogue/Ranger/Zamboni Operator/... Multiclassing is a mediocre way handle that.

• Locked thread