Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lma cant even undercut a guy correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
As someone who defended Zaza's play as plausibly unintentional, I am pretty amazed that some dude could spend the time editing and uploading that video and think "this will show them! This is conclusive proof Zaza didn't do anything wrong!"

Zaza comes up way further on a dude that was fading away; Aldridge scoots forward a little bit on a guy who is landing in front of where he lifted up. Also Zaza has a history etc

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
^ lol

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Everyone else is up in arms but honestly I think somethings wrong with me because I don't see LMA and Zaza's as an intentional dirty play. Your body is always shifting. poo poo if everything I did was put under a microscope in pick-up games I would be afraid to even contest a shot.

GET OUTRAGED!

Kind of doesn't matter about intent the other night, at the very least, Zaza was reckless and deserves most of the scorn he's received. Because he has a history of being dirty, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and I have no problem with that. I'd also have no problem if this was made a flagrant.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

warcrimes posted:

^ lol

GET OUTRAGED!

Kind of doesn't matter about intent the other night, at the very least, Zaza was reckless and deserves most of the scorn he's received. Because he has a history of being dirty, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and I have no problem with that. I'd also have no problem if this was made a flagrant.

It speaks to a larger issue in the NBA. In a closeout you won't have full control cause you gotta be contesting a shot as fast as you can as well as adjust at the last moment.

https://streamable.com/k0swu

It happens again up there against Livingston, practically the same as the Zaza/Kawhi incident. If they start calling fouls on all of these there's almost no way to stop fadeaways or lots of 3-pointers. Shooters know they'll get all the space they want. Plus you'll get the inevitable abuse ala Harden. All in all, a hard issue to regulate. Be too lenient, you get injuries but be too harsh and shooters will have a field day and further diminish the impact of non-shooting bigs.

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 17, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

xbilkis posted:

As someone who defended Zaza's play as plausibly unintentional, I am pretty amazed that some dude could spend the time editing and uploading that video and think "this will show them! This is conclusive proof Zaza didn't do anything wrong!"

Zaza comes up way further on a dude that was fading away; Aldridge scoots forward a little bit on a guy who is landing in front of where he lifted up. Also Zaza has a history etc

also steph didn't have a well known recent ankle injury. it definitely looks like zaza targets that foot

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Brolander posted:

it definitely looks like zaza targets that foot

This part I don't agree with because he never even looks down but he could have been fishing, no doubt.

Good luck with Boston.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It happens again up there against Livingston, practically the same as the Zaza/Kawhi incident. If they start calling fouls on all of these there's almost no way to stop fadeaways or lots of 3-pointers. Shooters know they'll get all the space they want. Plus you'll get the inevitable abuse ala Harden. All in all, a hard issue to regulate. Be too lenient, you get injuries. Be too harsh and shooters will have a field day and further diminish the impact of non-shooting bigs.

If they emphasized giving shooters room to land but stopped letting offensive players hook defenders on the perimeter, I wonder which would have the bigger effect

We just need to accelerate the development of insanely graceful 7 footers that can switch seamlessly and have no need to panic while closing out

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Dubs deserve the ship gently caress boston thanks in advance

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

warcrimes posted:

This part I don't agree with because he never even looks down but he could have been fishing, no doubt.

Good luck with Boston.

i guess definitely is the wrong word. im looking for it and want it to be true so

thanks, i think we'll need it more than people think. celts are scary if they are hitting shots like the beginning of game 3(?) of the wiz series.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 17, 2017

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Not that I don't want dubs to win but aren't you forgetting about a certain other ECF team.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Go Cavs go Spurs

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It speaks to a larger issue in the NBA. In a closeout you won't have full control cause you gotta be contesting a shot as fast as you can as well as adjust at the last moment.

It happens again up there against Livingston, practically the same as the Zaza/Kawhi incident. If they start calling fouls on all of these there's almost no way to stop fadeaways or lots of 3-pointers. Shooters know they'll get all the space they want. Plus you'll get the inevitable abuse ala Harden. All in all, a hard issue to regulate. Be too lenient, you get injuries but be too harsh and shooters will have a field day and further diminish the impact of non-shooting bigs.

This is actually a great point and although it would help the dubs, the cure might be worse than the poison

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

xbilkis posted:

If they emphasized giving shooters room to land but stopped letting offensive players hook defenders on the perimeter, I wonder which would have the bigger effect

We just need to accelerate the development of insanely graceful 7 footers that can switch seamlessly and have no need to panic while closing out

The hooking is basically the result of defenders being retarded and trying to stick their arms out to prevent getting blown by.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Brolander posted:

also steph didn't have a well known recent ankle injury. it definitely looks like zaza targets that foot
The thing with that rule is this: according to how the league worded it when they added it a couple of years ago, intent isn't supposed to matter. It's like the whole "You cannot get off the bench during a fight" rule, in that no matter what your intentions were, the refs are supposed to call it when a defenders legs are under a jumpshooter's landing spot.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Sorry Rick
Hopefully Lonzo will learn to deal with NBA athletes and his jumper won't completely fail
At least the rest of the team will like him more than Deangelo

It puts the sixers in a tough spot. They could try moving Covington to 2 and playing Jackson at 3, but Covington sucks at 2 and is really good at 3/4. Maybe they'll draft Potatum since he can shoot and is comfortably a 3. I feel like potatum is rising because his position is clear and people feel like they know exactly what he is. That's a dangerous thing. I'll have to watch more videos to see if that's an unfounded speculation

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 17, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sorry Rick
Hopefully Lonzo will learn to deal with NBA athletes and his jumper won't completely fail
At least the rest of the team will like him more than Deangelo

It puts the sixers in a tough spot. They could try moving Covington to 2 and playing Jackson at 3, but Covington sucks at 2 and is really good at 3/4. Maybe they'll draft Potatum since he can shoot and is comfortably a 3. I feel like potatum is rising because his position is clear and people feel like they know exactly what he is. That's a dangerous thing. I'll have to watch more videos to see if that's an unfounded speculation

Play Jackson at 2/3 and Covington at 3/4

Hope Waiters opts out and sign him.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Covington is a nice player who I like a lot, he could be a starter on a good playoff team if other guys in the line up provided the offence to balance him. However he is not, and will never be, a franchise guy you build around. I have no idea really about Jackson or Tatum outside like three draft articles I've read in the last week, but it sounds like they have the potential (how much is debatable) to be All-Star level scorers, which the Sixers badly need. In which case you take one of them and if they develop well then you just figure out how to best use Covington later.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 17, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Covington is an elite defender that can play spot up 4 and space the floor. Literally everly team wants that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Edit double post

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i hope the celtics draft lonzo ball and trade him to philly for embiid or something just to gently caress with the lakers and to gently caress with lonzo and his annoying dad.

i don't care how dumb of a trade it is. i want it to happen and i want it to be funny.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

TBeats posted:

i hope the celtics draft lonzo ball and trade him to philly for embiid or something just to gently caress with the lakers and to gently caress with lonzo and his annoying dad.

i don't care how dumb of a trade it is. i want it to happen and i want it to be funny.

maybe for Okafor

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really enjoyed the Lowe/Burke podcast. She's the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
gently caress every remaining playoff team.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Kibner posted:

gently caress every remaining playoff team.

:same:

I just want KD to get a ring

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Covington is a nice player who I like a lot, he could be a starter on a good playoff team if other guys in the line up provided the offence to balance him. However he is not, and will never be, a franchise guy you build around. I have no idea really about Jackson or Tatum outside like three draft articles I've read in the last week, but it sounds like they have the potential (how much is debatable) to be All-Star level scorers, which the Sixers badly need. In which case you take one of them and if they develop well then you just figure out how to best use Covington later.

Well, I don't think anyone is saying Convington is a franchise player. But he is one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league and league average from 3pt. On a team with potential superstars that can score (embiid/jackson) and distribute (simmons) he is an invaluable piece

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How is Jackson scoring at a superstar level ?
Hypothetically if he were on the Sixers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rabid Snake posted:

Lol didn't you just claim that you don't root for any team before dropping the little fact that you're from the bay area? It's not bad to admit that you root for a team, buddy. The last way most would describe the Warriors is "deserves a championship" so you're not fooling anyone

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

I just want KD to get a ring

Do you not like laughing?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress Boston. gently caress the Warriors.

Gooo Cleveland Lebrons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks the series isn't over yet.

https://twitter.com/rfelliott/status/864843804477722624

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
spicy take: the league should contract by about 16 teams, their talent dispersed, change the first two rounds of the playoffs to best of three elimination, and shorten the season by about ~22 games.

either that, or start a 16 team "A league" and a 16 team "G league" (:rolleye: ), with the G league teams moving up to the A league based on wins and performance from that season.

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences and its killing my interest after watching the last 14 years or so pretty regularly. i'm a nuggets fan and think the league would probably be better off with jokic and gallinari on the lakers, knicks, boston, or houston. they'll never be fortunate enough to get another top-3 pick without intentionally tanking, and no free agents are interested in coming to denver. this is the same story all over the league if you're not a major media market or have the best coach/FO in the league in the spurs. you're also definitely not going to beat the cavs or the warriors 4 times in seven games.

why does the team need multiple nuggets, suns, bucks, hornets, grizzlies, magic, jazz, and bucks organizations? expansion's great and all but when individual talent is so critical to success in the nba it essentially locks 3/4ths of the league out of real competition unless they're incredibly lucky most years (narrator voice: they aren't) or you count on lebron/curry/durant injuring themselves (narrator voice: they won't).

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 17, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

el bron hubbard will deliver us from the warrior menace if the spurs blandness cannot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ex post facho posted:

spicy take: the league should contract by about 16 teams, their talent dispersed, change the first two rounds of the playoffs to best of three elimination, and shorten the season by about ~22 games.

either that, or start a 16 team "A league" and a 16 team "G league" (:rolleye: ), with the G league teams moving up to the A league based on wins and performance from that season.

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences and its killing my interest after watching the last 14 years or so pretty regularly. i'm a nuggets fan and think the league would probably be better off with jokic and gallinari on the lakers, knicks, boston, or houston. they'll never be fortunate enough to get another top-3 pick without intentionally tanking, and no free agents are interested in coming to denver. this is the same story all over the league if you're not a major media market or have the best coach/FO in the league in the spurs. you're also definitely not going to beat the cavs or the warriors 4 times in seven games.

why does the team need multiple nuggets, suns, bucks, hornets, grizzlies, magic, jazz, and bucks organizations? expansion's great and all but when individual talent is so critical to success in the nba it essentially locks 3/4ths of the league out of real competition unless they're incredibly lucky most years (narrator voice: they aren't) or you count on lebron/curry/durant injuring themselves (narrator voice: they won't).

Counterpoint — it's fine

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

Yes, I too hate watching basketball and want to watch way less of it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the regular season should be shortened, that parts very true

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ex post facho posted:

Golden State was a laughingstock franchise for decades, and even just a few years ago they appeared stuck in that 25-35 win rut and Curry couldn't stay healthy enough to move the needle. Dallas was a "good but will never win a championship" until they did. Even Boston looked like they were on route to a long, ugly rebuild and then they got an all-NBA player for $6 million a year and multiple great lottery picks in a row.

Everything seems pre-ordained and inevitable until it isn't. Your reference the fact that bad franchises should be culled because they can't keep up with the juggernaut Cleveland Cavaliers. 5 or 6 years someone will post that the Timberwolves or Hornets or whatever are this monster and other teams should fold.

There isn't as much variance in the NBA as the NFL or MLB, but that doesn't mean if you extend your scope a few years there still isn't variance between the teams.

Ghost Dog posted:

the regular season should be shortened, that parts very true

Yeah, the 66 game season was awesome for # of games (sucked for game density). That was a perfect number for balancing games being important while still giving enough games for stuff to even out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

How is Jackson scoring at a superstar level ?
Hypothetically if he were on the Sixers.

hot take: a 55% foul shooter is not an elite scorer

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Earlier in this post-season, I think in a game 2, somebody, (maybe Marv or Kenny Albert?) happily cited the team's "impressive" Ortng a single game, the first game of the series and I am still thinking about it trying to come up with a less useful way to use advanced stats.

Thank you for telling me their [(final score) x (number of possessions in the game/number of possessions that are usually in a game)] as if this is useful in any way whatsoever. It provides less information than just telling the final score of the game.

smdhing forever about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I think Jackson will be elite at finishing around the rim. I am being a bit hyperbolic with the superstar label.

• Locked thread