Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
New info and videos make this look like it's heading in a pretty good direction.

I should probably try actually playing in one of these alphas some day. Have had tester access for years and never used it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They ran a snap test tonight which had the kind of expected million little hosed up things, but it was originally planned for only pre-alpha backers but things were in a non-catastrophic state to the extent that they pulled in alpha backers too. Random notes:

- All the lighting stuff in that video aren't in, kinda lame. Additional components are apparently in internal testing atm.
- They made efficiency a big deal as a weapon stat, and gave all BASIC weapons positive efficiency (which is very bad). They also added a ton of stock passives.
- Some classes/races come with a single passive, but there are also a bunch of passives now that everyone starts with. You can also get additional passives from disciplilnes. The deal is that they added passives to counteract the worst of the bad experience from operating with crappy starting gear and crappy starting skills.
- You can only equip 3 passives, so as you level up & get better stuff, you can use more cool passives from your class/race/disciplines and less dumb ones just to make the game not suck.
- The old crafting & harvesting potions have been moved into the stock passives, but also toned down. When active they tend to give you about half the impact of full skill training, so you start out with L3 plentiful harvest & L3 plethora bonuses. You don't receive any crit or beneficial harvest, I don't think.
- I believe for all the stock passives, the passive will only bring your stat up to the passive value, not just add it.
- There's also stock passives to counteract some of the shittiness of basic weapons and armor.
- There are now new shiny crafting & harvesting potions which have less insanely powerful effects & more costly crafting materials. The new potions don't stack with group leader bonuses. Group leader is also a passive now, and it has to be equipped for your leadership buff to be active.
- Max EK size has been increased, and you can make your EK public & PVP now
- They did some work on server performance, apparently, related to harvesting nodes & doobers
- They squeezed all the stats, so thousands are now hundreds

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I have alpha access to this but so far haven't jumped into any of the tests. Has anyone from Aus had much success with them? I worry I will have serious latency issues.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Crowfall twitch stream today: https://clips.twitch.tv/BigCaringTortoiseSSSsss

EDIT:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PreciousCleverDinosaurAsianGlow

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 18, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
List of notes from the obscenely huge live stream.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So no soft launch this year? probably for the same reason they changed the archtype system: they must have got a pretty decent influx of money from somewhere.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
Played a good chunk this weekend.

Given a general caveat about lag, unbalanced abilities, and there being no real reason to fight given that Spirit Banks are a thing currently, the combats I had this weekend were fun. Obviously, there is a huge amount of work to be done, and this game is by no means a sure thing. The potential is there though. It could be really awesome.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The disciplines really add a gently caress ton of variety and build possibilities to the bare bones system they had before, i had a lot of fun this weekend too. Banshee is a surprisingly good choice for basically every class.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

What does that one do?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm loving the new update. It finally added proper 21:9 support and significantly improved performance by the way.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

KJDavid posted:

What does that one do?

Untyped damage increase just for equipping it, 30% bonus damage to targets under 30% passive, aoe snare shout, aoe damage shout that heals you, heal block power.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
wow some big updates from crowfall, this is nice

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Apparently stealth got some, uhhh... well, stealth patches. Effectively, you can now only see stealthed characters when an effect called "shadow sight" in active on you, even with high perception, and the distance you can see stealthed characters when shadow sight is active is based on your perception stat. Some passives will give shadow sight under certain circumstances, and the Illusionist discipline has a "Reveal Shadows" active that'll pop shadow sight for a short period of time. idk if Knight/Confessor will have shadow sight related abilities or not.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

30.5 Days posted:

Apparently stealth got some, uhhh... well, stealth patches. Effectively, you can now only see stealthed characters when an effect called "shadow sight" in active on you, even with high perception, and the distance you can see stealthed characters when shadow sight is active is based on your perception stat. Some passives will give shadow sight under certain circumstances, and the Illusionist discipline has a "Reveal Shadows" active that'll pop shadow sight for a short period of time. idk if Knight/Confessor will have shadow sight related abilities or not.

I remember when in SB they made the stealth change so when you went to hide it created a beacon of light at your location because reasons. I cannot help but continually recall that these people are related to the SB devs and have so many misgivings due to that.

Is there a thief class that I can play just so I can creep around ganking and stealing from people's packs?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
There's going to be an assassin class yeah. The fact that they made Shadowbane shouldn't give you misguivings, that game had the best stealth system of any game yet. It basically boiled down to a) having a dedicated anti stealth class that was effective and fun to play and b) giving stealthers something to do during mass pvp battles that did not reduce them to nothing but stealth gankers.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

Technology and game design have come a heck of a long way since Shadowbane.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

malhavok posted:

There's going to be an assassin class yeah. The fact that they made Shadowbane shouldn't give you misguivings, that game had the best stealth system of any game yet. It basically boiled down to a) having a dedicated anti stealth class that was effective and fun to play and b) giving stealthers something to do during mass pvp battles that did not reduce them to nothing but stealth gankers.

This is one of the main things I loved about Shadowbane and points I mention to people not familiar with it. It was perfectly viable to build a scout that sucked at combat but was good at scouting. It was also mandatory that nearly every group, including farming or leveling groups had a scout, and that scout was never expected to participate in combat. Their primary job was to scout.
I'm really hoping they can re-create that environment, no other game has.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

eSporks posted:

This is one of the main things I loved about Shadowbane and points I mention to people not familiar with it. It was perfectly viable to build a scout that sucked at combat but was good at scouting. It was also mandatory that nearly every group, including farming or leveling groups had a scout, and that scout was never expected to participate in combat. Their primary job was to scout.

that sounds really great and part of the initial sell for me 2 years ago, and i can't believe its been 2 years

im cautiously optimistic about this and feel that Todd would definitely retain the spirit and to go above and beyond those old shadow bane mechanics without fundamentally changing it, only enhancing it would probably be amazing in itself

Orv
May 4, 2011
My concern, and really the thing I super don't like about their design, is that you can (if disciplines and such support it), create that character, but instead of it being an alt, you have to devote two months or whatever to being able to step into that role. That's not fun, it's not fun in EVE to wait and I certainly don't intend to pay a sub for Crowfall even it it does turn out good, so it's still lovely here.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

eSporks posted:

This might seem like a cool idea until you realise that combat makes up a overwhelming majority of the gameplay so either you have to provide something with similar depth, which isn't always viable, or you give them some ways to engage with the combat. Otherwise you end up with a mandatory role that amounts to sitting around doing nothing or worse yet, playing some lovely minigame.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

My concern, and really the thing I super don't like about their design, is that you can (if disciplines and such support it), create that character, but instead of it being an alt, you have to devote two months or whatever to being able to step into that role. That's not fun, it's not fun in EVE to wait and I certainly don't intend to pay a sub for Crowfall even it it does turn out good, so it's still lovely here.

They've stated a number of times that they want base proficiency/ability in whatever role to be something you acquire very quickly, with the longer/deeper tree upgrades being smaller incremental stat upgrades and such. If they can stick to that I think that will help mitigate the "I need X months before I can do this thing at all" issue.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Orv posted:

There only difference between this and any other game is that your leveling speed is predetermined instead of having to grind for it. It's automatic leveling, it doesn't change how the game works at all and it doesn't make the result different from like WoW. You want an alt, you make one, and then you level it up. Having that happen automatically at a predetermined speed is not a negative.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Orv posted:

Whats this about subs?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Fog Tripper posted:

Whats this about subs?

Crowfall is buy to play with optional subs, I believe the main benefit of subbing is you get to train 3 classes at the same time instead of 1. Not sure if there is anything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cathead posted:

They've stated a number of times that they want base proficiency/ability in whatever role to be something you acquire very quickly, with the longer/deeper tree upgrades being smaller incremental stat upgrades and such. If they can stick to that I think that will help mitigate the "I need X months before I can do this thing at all" issue.

Yeah I suppose we'll see.

malhavok posted:

There only difference between this and any other game is that your leveling speed is predetermined instead of having to grind for it. It's automatic leveling, it doesn't change how the game works at all and it doesn't make the result different from like WoW. You want an alt, you make one, and then you level it up. Having that happen automatically at a predetermined speed is not a negative.

Skills are account wide, you don't make alt characters and then train them.

And yes, I believe at this time the only benefit from subbing is training one profession skill and three class skills (and now race skills maybe?) instead of one profession skill and one class skill.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Orv posted:

Skills are account wide, you don't make alt characters and then train them.

I know that, I still don't understand how having passive time gated training instead of leveling affects your ability to play an alt. The only difference is that training happens automatically at a set pace instead of having to grind for it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, specifically to use the Shadowbane line of reasoning, you could train up and equip a scouting alt in a day or two, depending on the resources you had available in your guild and if your leveling group got ganked a bunch or not. In other MMOs, you can level to cap in a handful of days played and be geared enough to start progression in a handful more. Depending on the curve in Crowfall, it might take a month of passive skill training before you'd be useful in the scout role, during which time if you're not subscribed, you won't be training any other combat disciplines of any kind. It really does come down to how quickly you can become baseline/self-sufficiently proficient in a discipline/class/role and that's something we won't know until next year when they presumably finalize the numbers on skill training for soft launch, but it's something that concerns me.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Shadowbane did have extremely fast leveling, but that was an outlier. A month or two is a lot closer to standard than a few days. If the problem is just that it's too slow, I disagree but I understand your point at least. Of course we don't actually know how long it will take at this point.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

malhavok posted:

Shadowbane did have extremely fast leveling, but that was an outlier. A month or two is a lot closer to standard than a few days. If the problem is just that it's too slow, I disagree but I understand your point at least. Of course we don't actually know how long it will take at this point.

Shadowbane leveling was 10 AFK toons standing around a camp while 1 toon gathered and aoe'd groups of mobs. It was pointless.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The other point is that the fastest, hardest-hitting combat improvements are at the class level, whereas the general skill tree is for your "role" like gathering, crafting, scouting, etc. There is a general combat tree but the theorycrafting conclusion was it's pretty rear end & only there if you have zero interest in anything except combat. So sketching out a useful role for yourself will take a couple months but you'll be up to speed in combat almost immediately, especially if your guild has good gear available. With the new passive system, good gear will make a new gatherer/crafter/whatever pretty drat useful on day one too.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Can't ignore the fact that just making a new vessel gives you a character with all abilities and capable of wearing any equipment, training is just minor stat buffs.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This game looks fun. Not 70$ fun but I can wait.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They put up a filler article about where EKs are at- https://crowfall.com/en/news/eternal-kingdoms-play-your-way/

One of the things that was mentioned was that embargo is one of the very next things being worked on after disciplines settle down. With 5.5 changes seeing some reasonably good results in terms of performance, that's probably going to be the last major thing in terms of making the game fun to test again. I'd expect it to be worth playing again by the end of the summer.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

New info and videos make this look like it's heading in a pretty good direction.

I should probably try actually playing in one of these alphas some day. Have had tester access for years and never used it :toot:

Download, install and log in... before you know it, you can spot Knotwood a mile away and steer clear of it. Overall 7/10 for lumberjack simulator.

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 27, 2017

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So i assume they are not going to release any more archetypes right?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Huh, was able to log in today as a Beta 2 founderizator.

Ran around as a chipmunk and learned very little (figured out how to craft a mining hammer). No sound effects so far, just GoTesque music on a loop. Graphics look decent.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Trip report: chopped down trees, wood fell along with apples. Got flashbacks of Tree of Life. Was not a good feeling.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Fog Tripper posted:

No sound effects so far, just GoTesque music on a loop. Graphics look decent.

Did they take sound effects out or something?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Capntastic posted:

Did they take sound effects out or something?

All I could hear was music and in the short time I played I couldnt figure out what was what in the UI enough to find any sort of preference. Anything but intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/CrowfallGame/status/869604666786676736
Oh. Uh, they have their work cut out for them