Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Golli posted:

Current price for Macallan 1966 35 year old

£18750.00

source: whiskymarketplace.com

The whisky industry is truly incredible for extortionate pricing. At my old job I got a taste from a bottle valued at over £11,000 (in this case, sold at a bar for £250 per 35ml measure) and it tasted like a blander version of an off-the-shelf 18 year old single malt you could get at £30 a pop at your local off-licence. Nobody buys that kind of stuff because of refined taste, it's all about conspicuous consumption and if they claim anything else they're lying to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
Someone edited last week's courtroom scene with the Phoenix Wright soundtrack and it's wonderful (yeeeeees)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jeroen posted:

Someone edited last week's courtroom scene with the Phoenix Wright soundtrack and it's wonderful (yeeeeees)

The black and white flashbacks were a nice touch.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

TomViolence posted:

The whisky industry is truly incredible for extortionate pricing. At my old job I got a taste from a bottle valued at over £11,000 (in this case, sold at a bar for £250 per 35ml measure) and it tasted like a blander version of an off-the-shelf 18 year old single malt you could get at £30 a pop at your local off-licence. Nobody buys that kind of stuff because of refined taste, it's all about conspicuous consumption and if they claim anything else they're lying to themselves.

I agree and similar to the wine industry. The recession of 07/08 did weird things to non traditional "investment" markets. There is a fun documentary about Bordeaux wine called "Red Obsession" I'd recommend to anyone who finds investment booze interesting. Like you said, it's all about status & conspicuous consumption.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2419284/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had 30 year old Scotch once, forget the brand, girl bought it for me on my birthday and said "don't ask how much it cost".

It tasted good, but not like, exponentially better than any "cheap" single malt.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

All decent alcohols taste same enough. The only time I spend money on expensive whiskey is when I'm in the mood for a drink that tastes like I just took a bite out of plywood.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jeroen posted:

This is the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
uhhh how has nobody posted this yet???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiSvpZfHL4

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Dude's been looking the same since Scarface.

I love that that they cast loving Manny from Scarface as Don Eladio, seeing these two guys on screen together was fantastic.

Holy poo poo the cop from Gleaming the Cube!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In my opinion, the sweet spot for scotch is ~$40 and for wine is ~$10

Bottom-shelf cuts corners.

Mid range is done right.

High end is done exactly right.

Big jump between the first two. Subtle jump between the last two.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Hard to believe this is the same show that spent a full 86 seconds showing us an elderly lady coming down a stairlift.

The pacing recently is just nuts, especially compared to a big chunk of the last season, and it's turned into a who's who of Breaking Bad alumni, almost to the point where it's taking me out of the show slightly. I'm expecting to see Gus next week, then Hank shortly after, and maybe retcon Jesse into a bigger role in Krazy 8's operation.

Ok that's a bit harsh... It's still a very high quality show in its own right. I just hope they don't get tempted to "six degrees of separation" all of the characters into the chronology of BB and let the shoe stand on its own.

Edit: Gale, not Gus :downs:

Durzel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 17, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
In this universe a $40 bottle of Johnnie Walker is tepid off brand generic cola. $10000 bottles of Macallan 35 are classic Coke.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They must have so much fun making those commercials. Please do more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Jesse never shows up since he already looked ridiculously older in the season 1 flashback in season 5B.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

In my opinion, the sweet spot for scotch is ~$40 and for wine is ~$10

I exclusively buy wine that costs exactly $12 for a half litre.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Golli posted:

Current price for Macallan 1966 35 year old

£18750.00

source: whiskymarketplace.com

Wowzers, thanks

I'm not a rich lawyer and I don't care much for scotch, but I did get my brother a bottle of Jameson 18 year Limited Reserve, and I gotta admit it was pretty drat smooth.

I imagine that it's almost impossible to draw a parallel between BCS and Iron Fist (!), but like most people I hated Howard initially and now he seems like a decent guy, and it reminds me of how I hated Ward in Iron Fist and he ended up being probably the most likable and relatable character at the end.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
last week was great. This week's episode was kinda flat.

That _was_ Lydia in the car with Gus, right?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ElNarez posted:

He goes into the Don Pratt voice. It's AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhgyXtZQgU

did gilligan come up with better call saul for no reason other than to make this sketch real

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cimber posted:

last week was great. This week's episode was kinda flat.

That _was_ Lydia in the car with Gus, right?

Sure was.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Jesse never shows up since he already looked ridiculously older in the season 1 flashback in season 5B.

Hed just put on weight in the face. He seems to have trimmed down a bit of late so it coulddd work

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Really liked the fact when the commercial aired it was in 4:3 format, a nice subtle touch.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
The real-life scam "Magical Spring Water" infomercials during Better Call Saul are really terrible and feel like they belong in the show. It's bizarre.

This show is so good! The actors are amazing. I didn't know about the insider podcast - thanks thread!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
With Krazy-8 making repeat appearances and Emelio definitely having a future part to play, it would just be bizarre if Jesse didn't show up.

Aaron Paul better start running some marathons and lose that weight.

Here's some advice for Aaron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2oO98C6Nw

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know how well things would work out if BCS and Breaking Bad started overlapping in a significant way. It kinda works out okay with some of the older actors because the difference between 40-50 or 60-70 is smaller than 20-30, appearance wise.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
The country you're in can greatly change prices too. I once saw a bottle of old grandad on the top shelf in a bar in Amsterdam. They wanted 20 euros for one serving.

Bartender seemed annoyed when I told people you can get it for fifteen bucks in Indiana.

This wasn't a touristy bar either so I don't think they were pandering to nostalgic businessmen.

(The EU suits I was with found it hilarious and ended up trying it ironically so maybe it worked after all? 😑)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Wait.. this showed is supposed to be in 2001-2002? What the gently caress? They really are expecting us to suspend a lot of disbelief with character appearances and basically nothing happening between the end of this show(I can't imagine it ends right before BB if it's that far back) and Walter meeting Gus on BB. Could easily see this show wrapping up in a season or two and ending in 2003-2004, so it seems weird to leave out the other like 6-7 years between the shows if that happens, unless we get some massive time skips here.. and not sure how we'd ever get the Walt cameo most people expect if it's that far back.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Akumos posted:

Wait.. this showed is supposed to be in 2001-2002? What the gently caress? They really are expecting us to suspend a lot of disbelief with character appearances and basically nothing happening between the end of this show(I can't imagine it ends right before BB if it's that far back) and Walter meeting Gus on BB. Could easily see this show wrapping up in a season or two and ending in 2003-2004, so it seems weird to leave out the other like 6-7 years between the shows if that happens, unless we get some massive time skips here.. and not sure how we'd ever get the Walt cameo most people expect if it's that far back.

It seems totally plausible to me. Saul, Mike, and Gus had clearly been doing their thing for some time before Walt showed up and hosed up everything.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Akumos posted:

Yeah I don't know. Breaking Bad played fast and loose with its timeline in relation to real events going on around the same time and I sort of expect BCS to be the same way.

I don't understand being obsessed with precise dates/years. It reminds me of the weird Harry Potter superfans who map everything out with specific years even when the books don't really mention years at all and it doesn't matter a single bit precisely when the story takes place

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^^ Yes, exactly.

How about we all stop giving a poo poo about these particulars that don't matter that much and just enjoy the show without being spergs about it? :colbert:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Having a rough idea of the time frame isn't bad. Obsessing over specific dates less so. IIRC BCS is roughly 5 years before the start of Breaking Bad, which played really loose with its specific dates and takes place over all of two years despite being 5 seasons long. So time is more of a polite suggestion than a hard thing from the get go, here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drunken officeparty posted:

It comes in a wooden box. That expensive.

Well duh, wood doesn't grow on trees :rolleyes:

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Why would we need to know what happens during that time? Or perhaps we may find out. WE. DON'T. KNOW. YET.

Enjoy the loving ride.

Goddamn the Spergs in the tv threads annoy the poo poo out of me.

CaveGrinch fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 17, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

goons are bad at watching tv, news at 11

wait there's still news on tv right?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
They sure are. It's completely inconceivable that Gus, Mike, Lydia, etc. we're working normally for years before Walter White showed up.

Apparently they were supposed to have come into being completely formed in 2008.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I definitely can no longer claim "you don't need to have seen breaking bad to enjoy this show", but hell, I'm along for the ride anyway. The first two seasons are some of the best TV I've ever seen. This one is still great, but seems to be leaning harder on "here we are, setting up all the pieces for that show you remember", especially now that Gus basically has his own story arc going as a "new character."

On the other hand, I'm glad Nacho is back in the picture. If Lydia and Gale get more screentime than him by the time this show is over, I'll be at least a bit disappointed (of course that'll be quelled by the raw quality of everything, but I'll still be sad this show is drifting away from being "its own thing" and more into "the new season of Breaking Bad is one big flashback".).

EDIT: Also episode 305 was maybe the best thing the show ever did, so yeah. Seems like it's good when the show focuses on its new characters and stories.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 17, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ditocoaf posted:

I definitely can no longer claim "you don't need to have seen breaking bad to enjoy this show", but hell, I'm along for the ride anyway. The first two seasons are some of the best TV I've ever seen. This one is still great, but seems to be leaning harder on "here we are, setting up all the pieces for that show you remember", especially now that Gus basically has his own story arc going as a "new character."

On the other hand, I'm glad Nacho is back in the picture. If Lydia and Gale get more screentime than him by the time this show is over, I'll be at least a bit disappointed (of course that'll be quelled by the raw quality of everything, but I'll still be sad this show is drifting away from being "its own thing" and more into "the new season of Breaking Bad is one big flashback".).

EDIT: Also episode 305 was maybe the best thing the show ever did, so yeah. Seems like it's good when the show focuses on its new characters and stories.

It's because all the flashback stuff is boring as gently caress. "Here's Gus walking around a location you remember. Will he buy the location? Yes. He tells this character you remember he will buy it. You remember that he bought it."

Gus is such a magnetic presence that it doesn't make for bad TV but it's incredibly unnecessary TV. The idea of giving Gus a storyline rather than just having him in Mike's seems like a pretty big misfire.

And now it looks like Nacho is going to be the one to poison and cripple Hector. Hopefully they get that over with by the seasons end and cut Gus down for next season to refocus the show on people who are actually new and interesting. I want to see more of Kim and Jimmy. I don't really have a hold on their relationship. Are they still sleeping together? Are they dating?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Whiskey never tastes great.

On the other hand, I once had a shot in a plastic dixie cup of Cognac from record producer Jimmy Wonder who said it was 400/bottle in the early 2000's. That poo poo was like liquid butter but not greasy, was the smoothest alcohol I've ever consumed with zero burn. I haven't had much Cognac to compare it to but I think I remember the normal priced poo poo was pretty gross. It's been a long time. But that one shot has been seared into my memory.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Akumos posted:

The check Jimmy got for defending the trio of knuckleheads in S1E1 is dated 5/13/2002.

The closeup of Jimmy's license plate in S3E6 shows that his tags expire in Apr 2003. So all the action in retro-ABQ has taken place in under one lap around the sun so far.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because all the flashback stuff is boring as gently caress. "Here's Gus walking around a location you remember. Will he buy the location? Yes. He tells this character you remember he will buy it. You remember that he bought it."

Gus is such a magnetic presence that it doesn't make for bad TV but it's incredibly unnecessary TV. The idea of giving Gus a storyline rather than just having him in Mike's seems like a pretty big misfire.

And now it looks like Nacho is going to be the one to poison and cripple Hector. Hopefully they get that over with by the seasons end and cut Gus down for next season to refocus the show on people who are actually new and interesting. I want to see more of Kim and Jimmy. I don't really have a hold on their relationship. Are they still sleeping together? Are they dating?
I had it in my head that there was a clear delineation between this show and when BB "started", but with the cameos coming thick and fast, and stuff like Gus/Madrigal apparently buying the laundry place years in advance of Walt even thinking about meth, with Lydia in the picture this early on, it feels like there is going to be an significant overlap with at least the first season of Breaking Bad, or that there feasibly isn't more than 1 more season left in the show.

Right now Nacho is oddly the most compelling story strand exactly because it is a break from what is becoming a bit of a "remember that place/person? here they are again!".

I guess you could make a case that you couldn't really watch BCS totally in isolation because the pacing in the earlier seasons pretty much demanded that the audience was giving it some serious goodwill from BB. It seems a bit strange that over the course of two seasons they've taken their time - arguably excessively at some points - at building unique characters and story strands, and there has been some really powerful stuff that has only been tangentially related to BB, and has stood on its own two feet - for example finding out the genesis of why Mike is the way he is (the brilliant Five-O episode). This season though - we've already had Gus (we knew he was coming, granted), Huell and Lydia.. and in the latter two cases their scenes have been serious fan service-y nods to the audience. it is a bit jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It was a good episode but I can't stand it when they do scenes that tell you nothing outside of "HEY REMEMBER LYDIA AND GUS' OLD PLACE???"

Like I think this show is straight up better than Breaking Bad so it's just sad to see those scenes, especially following last week's episode which was phenomenal and had basically none of that stuff outside of Huell, but that wasn't treated like anything special.

• Locked thread