Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

sugar free jazz posted:

Go Orc bloodline if you're really sure you want to go Tattooed archetype blasting Sorcerer, best bang for your buck on damage. The Efreeti bloodline capstone is actually pretty poo poo, because it only grants Limited Wish once per day. You get a once per day 7th level spell as your capstone, it aint great.

If you're not 100% on Sorcerer, look at an Exploiter archetype Wizard, School Savant archetype Arcanist, and Brown Fur Transmuter archetype Arcanist. Works better with the scholarly angle too I think since they're int based, which is a pretty underrated part of those classes I think. Having boss knowledge skills and spellcraft is always extremely useful to have.

Except I get gimped outside in light. No thanks; I'll take a limited wish and making every spell fire (for a +1 to damage) over being unable to function most of the campaign (with a +2 to damage).

Also I noticed I don't get a familiar with arcanist, which sucks because I'd like to keep my imp familiar. The only other time I had a chance to have any familiar the campaign was ruined by a dumbass player.

This advice is good for a level 1 character that will build their way up in-session, but I'm starting at level 8; why should I worry about a measly 1-3 damage difference? Also we have an empiricist investigator so I don't have to worry about all the Knowledges. Which is good since sorcerers get 2+Int for Skills. (The fighter gets 2+Int as well, WTF?!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Except I get gimped outside in light. No thanks; I'll take a limited wish and making every spell fire (for a +1 to damage) over being unable to function most of the campaign (with a +2 to damage).

Also I noticed I don't get a familiar with arcanist, which sucks because I'd like to keep my imp familiar. The only other time I had a chance to have any familiar the campaign was ruined by a dumbass player.

This advice is good for a level 1 character that will build their way up in-session, but I'm starting at level 8; why should I worry about a measly 1-3 damage difference? Also we have an empiricist investigator so I don't have to worry about all the Knowledges. Which is good since sorcerers get 2+Int for Skills. (The fighter gets 2+Int as well, WTF?!)

You get Light Sensitivity, which means you are Dazzled in sunlight. You get a -1 to attack rolls and sight based perception checks. It's extremely, extremely minor. Dazzled is basically pointless. Each damage die is 3.5 damage on average, increasing it by 1 is over a 25% damage increase on average it matters a lot.

Arcanists can get a familiar as an Arcane Exploit, which you get every other level. Yeah an Empiricist has knowledges covered probably.

Quick Study is the big reason to play an Arcanist though, it's pretty gross. Lets you switch out a spell as a full round action.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 11, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Light sensitivity is a -1 to hit, and it only applies in Bright Light - so not even on a cloudy day outdoors. It's not like you're a vampire.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

sugar free jazz posted:

You get a -1 to attack rolls and sight based perception checks. It's extremely, extremely minor.

1-3 damage may not be much, but a -1 to all attack and sight based checks hurts a lot. Especially if I'm trying to hit with ranged spells. Especially with how I roll. :negative:

All this complicated magical bullshit just reminds me why I play a bard and ignore my spell list.

EDIT: gently caress it, Efreeti may have a "sucky" capstone, but it works with my "+1 to fire" trait the best. Orc would give me a +2 on fire spells and a +1 on the rest of my spells along with light blindness. Plus wish is a bloodline spell, and (possibly?) gets enhanced by Mage's TattooVarisian Tattoo, judging by the text.

quote:

Whenever a tattooed sorcerer gains a bloodline spell, a new tattoo manifests on her body to represent this spell. Her bloodline spells are always enhanced by her Mage’s Tattoo feat, even if they don’t match the school to which her Mage’s Tattoo belongs.

Though I may be wrong on that part.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 11, 2017

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Arcanist gives you the ability to chomp down scrolls to switch a spell out 1-9 more times. Being able to spend a point as a free action to either increase caster level or DC by 1 (2 with an exploit) is super nice, and you can even take a bloodline with an archetype if you want to gimp yourself a little more for flavour.

Arcanist is pretty goddamn miserable to play at low levels, but mid to high it's the most fun arcane class out there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

1-3 damage may not be much, but a -1 to all attack and sight based checks hurts a lot. Especially if I'm trying to hit with ranged spells. Especially with how I roll. :negative:

All this complicated magical bullshit just reminds me why I play a bard and ignore my spell list.

No hit rolls needed for fireball.

+1 damage per damage die for blasting is a big damage boost. Especially if you get something like spell specialization to boost your caster level. At lvl8 a normal 8d6 fireball deals 28 average damage, with orc (or draconic) bloodline the average damage is 36.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 11, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"It's going to be super high level and epic and high fantasy and awesome. So everyone needs to be a wizard."

This loving hobby.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

"It's going to be super high level and epic and high fantasy and awesome. So everyone needs to be a wizard."

This loving hobby.

But non-spellcasters can't do amazing things! That would be unrealistic, and because Hercules was actually a demigod that means that martial classes can't get to do anything that Hercules could do!

That last part is an argument I've actually seen on the comments for the SoM drafts.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Which is hilarious because before the DnD novels any stories about spellcasters tended to have them weaker than what shows up in DnD, and thus Pathfinder, while anything with warrior types tended to have them way more powerful than even the most powerful martial.

Of course they talk about how Hercules and a number of other legendary heroes were part god or whatnot, but when you did actually get a powerful spellcaster, and most of them STILL wouldn't compare to a DnD/Pathfinder spellcaster, they were half demon or maybe even half god. So yeah.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

To be fair, if you're in a group that don't use third-party content, making everyone play a spellcaster is kind of a decent way to improve game balance by bringing the floor up.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

I'm honestly not sure why you posted "I never played this before, advice please." And then proceed to argue with roughly the same advice everyone gives you. It looks like you didn't fully understand the ability, it's not +1-+3 damage to a spell. It's +1-+3 damage per dice roll on spell, effectively almost doubling your damage on D6 (although upon double checking it's only +2 total with both the bloodlines, for some reason I though Orc gave +2).

1st Stage Midboss posted:

To be fair, if you're in a group that don't use third-party content, making everyone play a spellcaster is kind of a decent way to improve game balance by bringing the floor up.

Or just increase the HP/Saves of the enemy to make the tactic of "Blow your save or suck load every combat" no longer valid, with some sort of negative consequence if the wizard demands the party rests after each encounter.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SweetBro posted:

I'm honestly not sure why you posted "I never played this before, advice please." And then proceed to argue with roughly the same advice everyone gives you.

Because funny enough, I had written about how I had looked at Orc before but didn't want to go the route that all the guides say of "go crossblooded Orc/Dragon, it's super OP" when in reality it's hot garbage. I deleted it for reasons unknown and am now regretting it. Also because I kept researching while you guys gave advice.

It's why I discussed Efreeti over Orc since it's bloodline spells worked better with my build. I get three major fire spells with my bloodline that get boosted with my Mage's Tattoo in addition to also getting limited wish as an once-per-day and wish as a bloodline spell. Orc gets also me three fire spells, but they're more spread apart and I get other more situational spells that don't really work with the character idea. You also ignore the fact that I need the spells to be [fire] to get my racial +1 damage. What's the point of it if I'm going to be casting a lot more non-fire spells?

And if I was looking to be a DPS machine I'd play a rouge or some poo poo.

SweetBro posted:

some sort of negative consequence if the wizard demands the party rests after each encounter.

I get it, you hate spellcasters. I do too. This is the first time I've played a pure spellcaster. I usually play bards or rangers and willingly ignore their spell lists except for minor spells like cure light wounds and poo poo. But the GM this time is usually our go-to mage when we play so I wanted to fill that spot in. I came up with the idea of playing someone like Chandra from MtG. I was going to play a pyrokineticist but wild talents aren't spells so my +1 to [fire] spells was worthless.

I'm just trying to salvage this build idea of launching fire non-stop and Orc ain't cutting it. I did appreciate everyone's advice; it did get me to look at the hybrid classes since the playtest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Because funny enough, I had written about how I had looked at Orc before but didn't want to go the route that all the guides say of "go crossblooded Orc/Dragon, it's super OP" when in reality it's hot garbage. I deleted it for reasons unknown and am now regretting it. Also because I kept researching while you guys gave advice.

Draconic/ orc crossblooded blasting sorcerer would deal like 2x the damage your sorcerer will do

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

And if I was looking to be a DPS machine I'd play a rouge or some poo poo.

uh

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Andrast posted:

Draconic/ orc crossblooded blasting sorcerer would deal like 2x the damage your sorcerer will do

That's cool, but again not worth losing one spell slot per level. Or getting light sensitivity when I already have darkvision without it.

I don't want to keep arguing in circles about this so I'm just going to play an Ash-Changeling Tattooed Sorcerer 8 with the Efreeti bloodline for maximum fire damage with minimal gimping. Not to mention the better bloodline spells. And it sounds fun.

I would like some help figuring out my spell list. Does anyone know a decent (and possibly recent) guide for spells? Most of the guides were written 2009 - 2012.

EDIT:

:shrug: Fighter?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

It's why I discussed Efreeti over Orc since it's bloodline spells worked better with my build. I get three major fire spells with my bloodline that get boosted with my Mage's Tattoo in addition to also getting limited wish as an once-per-day and wish as a bloodline spell. Orc gets also me three fire spells, but they're more spread apart and I get other more situational spells that don't really work with the character idea. You also ignore the fact that I need the spells to be [fire] to get my racial +1 damage. What's the point of it if I'm going to be casting a lot more non-fire spells?

And if I was looking to be a DPS machine I'd play a rouge or some poo poo
So blaster is synonymous with DPS machine, at least as I understand it. So naturally when you asked for a blaster people told you how to build one. Also the reason why people were telling you to go Orc/Draconic/Ifrit is because there are almost no ways of gaining a scalable damage increase on spells. Your only real option is meta magic and without Rods the spell slot cost can be pretty intense (and so is the action economy). Meanwhile there's like a million and one ways to getting rid of light sensitivity if it's really bothering you. Even gaining additional spell slots (because remember it's not that you can't cast spells of that level, but rather you're missing a slot) is easier than increasing spell damage.

I get it, you hate spellcasters. I do too.
My comment there wasn't directly aimed at you, but for the record I don't hate spell casters. What I hate is the "9th level caster OP why play anything else" discourse because it ignores the fact that almost all of their points can be easily side-stepped by the DM not being lazy. But honestly I really don't want to get into this again, and I already regret mentioning it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Zen Archer and Vivisectionist Alchemist are the classic real high damage dealers afaik

Blasting spells haven't changed much afaik so any guides from around 2012 would work, same with various forum threads about "post your favorite sorc/wizard spells." Just keep in mind what kind of build you're using when picking spells. Since you're new to casters and playing a Sorcerer see if your GM will let you have some leeway with swapping out spells. Like, instead of being able to retrain a spell every other level you can do it every level, something like that. One of my first characters was a Sorcerer and it really sucks when you make a lot of bad decisions about spells and are just stuck with it.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
How to pick spells as a blaster sorcerer: Each level, select a spell that does damage. Your other spell can be either another damage spell, or a useful self-buff (aim for ones that last 10min/level if not hour/level; you don't want to waste too many rounds buffing when a battle breaks out). Occasionally pick spells that do not-really-damage damage, like Enervation. If you're human, pick bonus spells that fill in any thematic/utility gaps you feel like you have in normal adventuring.

When I did a blaster, I went the metamagic route, got Spell Perfection on fireball, and between Dazing Spell, Empower Spell, Intensified Spell and Persistent Spell, I wrecked poo poo up.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

sugar free jazz posted:

Zen Archer and Vivisectionist Alchemist are the classic real high damage dealers afaik

Blasting spells haven't changed much afaik so any guides from around 2012 would work, same with various forum threads about "post your favorite sorc/wizard spells." Just keep in mind what kind of build you're using when picking spells. Since you're new to casters and playing a Sorcerer see if your GM will let you have some leeway with swapping out spells. Like, instead of being able to retrain a spell every other level you can do it every level, something like that. One of my first characters was a Sorcerer and it really sucks when you make a lot of bad decisions about spells and are just stuck with it.

I think Bloodline Mutations are new, and Blood Havoc is pretty nice for another damage boost.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Can anyone give me a rundown of how the Gunsmoke Mystic works and some possible build ideas? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the thread as the best gun using class so I'm curious. I'm not super familiar with the path of war stuff so it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out all the options.

I'm considering playing one for an upcoming pirate themed game, using gestalt class rules. Not sure what would pair well with it, maybe another maneuver using class?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
For gestalt, keep in mind that you're still limited by action economy - it's generally better to pair a 'this is what I do on my turns in combat' class with a 'this is what I do for utility' class or one that gives passive benefits.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do people decide when to go full caster vs. partial caster? I'm looking at rolling some backup characters for if my current character dies, and I haven't played enough characters to really draw the line. Sorcerers, wizards, and arcanists should probably be full caster unless you're doing a really exotic build. Paladins and rangers don't have the spellpower to back up even a proper partial caster; their spells are more like gravy. Warpriests, inquisitors, hunters, bards, druids, clerics, and oracles are a bit more flexible, though some are more flexible.

Say I was looking at a human Planar Oracle with the Wind revelation and the haunted curse. By making the most of the FCB, by level 6 I could know 9 cantrips, 5-7 1sts, 6 2nds, and 2 3rds, with a large casting pool per day. Would I regret dropping strength and just avoiding direct combat altogether?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 17, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Paladin/ranger spells shouldnt be underestimated imo

I'd just play a halfcaster unless it's going to be a high power game

As far as the oracle goes, do what you want? They can beatstick alright but they can do other stuff if you'd rather.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
BFC, buffs, and debuffs. Oracles don't seem to be well suited for blasting except for a couple of mysteries, and I wouldn't be taking flame unless the druid also died, since his character has A Thing about fire. My reservations with a halfcaster is that right now I've got a whopping 13 strength, making it harder to hit and not doing much when I do. Maybe it's in part because our combats are so short that if I spend the first round or two popping a Divine Favor and a Prayer, we're almost in mop-up mode already.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
don't drop casting if you're already a nine-level caster, especially one whose non-casting gimmicks are as mediocre as the oracle's

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cease to Hope posted:

don't drop casting if you're already a nine-level caster, especially one whose non-casting gimmicks are as mediocre as the oracle's
To be clear I mean the difference between a 7 12 14 12 12 19 stat spread and 14 12 12 10 8 19 or something. Starting with an 18-19 in [casting stat] regardless, just choosing between having enough strength to punch a wall and having weak noodly arms but a bit smarter and wiser.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Elysiume posted:

To be clear I mean the difference between a 7 12 14 12 12 19 stat spread and 14 12 12 10 8 19 or something. Starting with an 18-19 in [casting stat] regardless, just choosing between having enough strength to punch a wall and having weak noodly arms but a bit smarter and wiser.

oh

oracles aren't particularly melee-y unless you go out of your way to make them that way, so sure, drop strength if you want.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

it's a fullcaster, it can be specced towards anything if you try hard enough

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Cease to Hope posted:

oh

oracles aren't particularly melee-y unless you go out of your way to make them that way, so sure, drop strength if you want.

Nihilarian posted:

it's a fullcaster, it can be specced towards anything if you try hard enough

Yeah Oracles can do drat near anything, it's just that they broadly choose what they want to do as they level rather then on the fly at any point in time. Less versatile then a cleric, but typically better at whatever schtick they choose. An oracle specced for melee combat will be far better then a cleric who did likewise (and of course will be LEAGUES better then a fighter).

As for a buffer/debuffer/controller, Wind works perfectly fine. It's more of a debuffer + blaster then buffer, mind you, but it's still fine. The bigger question is regarding Planar Oracle. If it's not for fluff reasons, and the game isn't really about the Outer Planes, I generally wouldn't recommend it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'm playing in a campaign with some experienced players helping a brand new DM to learn the ropes and tonight we stumbled into a fight with 3 of the 5 of us at the session showing up tonight (An illusion wizard , fighter/vigilante and myself, a switch hitting ranger all level 4) rolled initiative with 19 1st level drow warriors, 1 drow cleric boss (unknown level) who immediately summoned a 6th level ghast cleric and 3 ghouls. Then the Ghast immediately shattered my primary weapon.

the new GM took things really easy on us as far as the crowds of drow and we barely survived.

Our reward was a harrow deck of many things.

Any good advice for encounter building and/or scaling for # of players on nights where not everyone can make it?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah Oracles can do drat near anything, it's just that they broadly choose what they want to do as they level rather then on the fly at any point in time. Less versatile then a cleric, but typically better at whatever schtick they choose. An oracle specced for melee combat will be far better then a cleric who did likewise (and of course will be LEAGUES better then a fighter).

As for a buffer/debuffer/controller, Wind works perfectly fine. It's more of a debuffer + blaster then buffer, mind you, but it's still fine. The bigger question is regarding Planar Oracle. If it's not for fluff reasons, and the game isn't really about the Outer Planes, I generally wouldn't recommend it.
Yeah, Planar Oracle would be mostly for fluff reasons. It's not a particularly superpowered campaign, so there'd be some leeway to have a less versatile spell list and a fairly mediocre level 3 revelation. I mostly mentioned that pair because it's in a grey area for me--a Flame Oracle I'd play as a full caster, a Metal Oracle I'd play as a bruiser, but those middle ground ones are harder for me to figure out where to take them.

Pyronic posted:

Our reward was a harrow deck of many things.
yikes

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Good news, everyone! Paizo finally realized that the Lore Warden fighter is too powerful, so it's getting nerfed.

:v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roadie posted:

Good news, everyone! Paizo finally realized that the Lore Warden fighter is too powerful, so it's getting nerfed.

They decided that being able to take all skills as class skills was too powerful.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

What is even the point of a Fighter these days anyways? I hate that class so much it's so insanely boring. No skills or spells so your out of combat usefulness is kinda garbage, and in combat you're a pile of +1 bonuses. Fuckin, yuck man.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Roadie posted:

From what I saw there, most of that book is reprinted material to begin with? Paizo is gonna want to hurry up on STARFINDER if they're legit running out of material to make.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

What is even the point of a Fighter these days anyways? I hate that class so much it's so insanely boring. No skills or spells so your out of combat usefulness is kinda garbage, and in combat you're a pile of +1 bonuses. Fuckin, yuck man.

The Pathfinder version is getting steadily better. Or was, until they nerfed Lore Warden today.

@Cirno: They've been doing that for awhile and were honest that this book was going to reprint a bunch of stuff. Ultimate Wilderness should be largely different, not sure about the Book of the Damned.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

sugar free jazz posted:

I was making a Path of War-archetyped Fighter and was actually surprised by how rad some of the Armor Mastery & Weapon Mastery stuff is - instead of getting a bunch of +1 bonuses from the associated trainings you can grab a few neat abilities, or just use them to take the Armor/Weapon Mastery Feats, which likewise have some rad stuff like using Attacks of Opportunity to cut arrows fired at you/adjacent ally.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ambi posted:

I was making a Path of War-archetyped Fighter and was actually surprised by how rad some of the Armor Mastery & Weapon Mastery stuff is - instead of getting a bunch of +1 bonuses from the associated trainings you can grab a few neat abilities, or just use them to take the Armor/Weapon Mastery Feats, which likewise have some rad stuff like using Attacks of Opportunity to cut arrows fired at you/adjacent ally.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, a lot of them are conceptually rad and then you read the actual mechanics and realize they're not actually made to be as rad as they sound.

Take your own example. Look at the list of things that have to line up for you to use it. You are standing next to an ally, have attacks of opportunity still remaining, and they are attacked by an enemy that uses non-spell ranged attacks with weapons that are not "too big."

Now mosey on down to those mid game - not even end game - threats, and start thinking about how often you're going to be able to actually do that.

Other options include "Devastating attack" wherein you give up most of your damage to apply what will typically be a fairly eh debuff, if the enemy fails their saving throw. Or Retributive Kick, wherein you again give up most of your damage to make an unarmed attack after your first attack fails. Of course, drat near everything that interacts with combat maneuvers is useless because of how broken that entire system is.

"But Cirno, a SECOND feat allows Cut From the Air to work on-"

Why the gently caress do you have to buy a second one just to make the first one work on higher levels?!

None of these are bad, per se, since fighters get them for (sorta) free, it's just too little, too obtuse.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Ambi posted:

The not-so secret sauce is to always take Warrior Spirit (with Duelist's Gloves) and laugh maniacally at limp dick Maguses as your damage per round just sky-rocketed due to being able to turn your +1 weapon into a +5 weapon at level 5. (If it wasn't clear, since Warrior Spirit doesn't put a restriction on what type of enhancement you can select, you can always choose Bane (Whatever you're fighting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Roadie posted:

Like LW/Whateverthatmartialflexarchtype + whip was one of the best CC builds around, but it was also like the only effective martial CC build around.