Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah he was a dick.

But he fixed it so happy ending.

Not a dick, just oblivious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

therobit posted:

Not a dick, just oblivious.

Fair.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's one of those rare stories where everyone involved has a fair point: it's important to her because she's openly revealing her identity in a way that's really scary and vulnerable, and it's not a big deal to him because he won't love her less either way but it's still frustrating for her because he didn't recognize that it was a pretty big deal for her even if it wasn't for him but in the end it all worked out because everyone in the situation acted with the best intentions at every step.

In short, it's a heartwarming poo poo that has no place in this thread where we take comfort in the social maladjustment of others. :argh:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Me [21F] with my boyfriend [22 M] of 3 years, he doesnt see me in the long run of his life anymore if I dont get a bachelors degree by the time im 25. any advice?

quote:

u/mipololo
I've been in a relationship with this guy for past 3years. During this time i've been on and off with my schooling and what i want to be. I cant decide and it seems like a lot of pressure :/ . im not very wealthy so i cant throw money at things and havent been but recently me and my boyfriend were discussing the future and his tone changed when my schooling was brought up. He says he can't marry me if i dont have a decent education and he also says he doesnt plan on waiting, since 25 is too old for him. To me this just seems like a break up since it doesnt seem like he's looking at me in the long term anymore. He says he still loves me and he just wants whats best for me and that means finishing up school. it's hurtful cause just some weeks ago we would be talking about our future together and plans and now this switch. He says im someone he wants in his life still but i really feel uncomfortable with how this doesnt seem like a very straight answer. We didn't break up and i dont think he wants to, he still is planning things for the upcoming months with me and him but... idk

I don't really know what me coming here will do. I'm just looking for advice. i feel like i really messed up and a lot of my friends have pursued set careers and some already got jobs and some are close to it and I'm just here. Im not successful or close to it, it seems :( I've been battling depression on and off the past years(i dislike saying this, im not looking for pity in this area) so i think that might have influenced his change of view on me as well. I can be pretty useless at times. im just hurt. I do want to do something with my life, and i get we are young and sure he doesnt have to wait for me i shouldnt expect that since he has his plans but it still just hurts.

tl;dr: i've been on and off with what i want to be(career) and become, and i may not be able to graduate for a while now because of it. Now my bf says he can't wait for me if i dont graduate. says its proof i dont care about our relationship. i guess im just looking for advice on how to deal with this/cope. im pretty hurt right now.

I somewhat sympathise with the boyfriend. You don't really know if something is for you until you actually spend a year or two doing it. Choose something you have an aptitude in that has good employment prospects - it's not hard. Also he presumably wants a partner who earns as well. He's honest.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

I somewhat sympathise with the boyfriend. You don't really know if something is for you until you actually spend a year or two doing it. Choose something you have an aptitude in that has good employment prospects - it's not hard.
The "if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life" attitude is behind most problems like this. Yeah it's nice if you get a job you love, but realistically most people will end up in something that's just kind of okay and do what they love in their free time.

OP's only 21 so her situation's not the end of the world, at least. It'd be a lot more concerning if she was in her late 20s and still waffling about what she wants to be when she grows up.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah he was a dick.

But he fixed it so happy ending.

he wasnt a dick

he was a Cool Dad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fartbox posted:

he wasnt a dick

he was a Cool Dad

I am so sorry

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

We should all strive for that reaction when someone says they're gay

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If he understood after it was explained to him, and they lived happily ever after, that sounds idyllic.

Dad always good in that case. He listened and didn't judge.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Milotic posted:

Me [21F] with my boyfriend [22 M] of 3 years, he doesnt see me in the long run of his life anymore if I dont get a bachelors degree by the time im 25. any advice?

I somewhat sympathise with the boyfriend. You don't really know if something is for you until you actually spend a year or two doing it. Choose something you have an aptitude in that has good employment prospects - it's not hard. Also he presumably wants a partner who earns as well. He's honest.

Man I know someone like that, the person posting the story. Shits thorny, like as a third party observer its not my responsibility to run someones life and obviously comfort is important, if you're stuck doing poo poo you hate forever you're gonna wind up a bitter twisted rear end in a top hat. But if I were in a relationship with them than its me who suffers in the end trying to support an endless stream of expensive (in both time and money) series of essentially hobbies and fleeting interests interspersed by the occasional half-assed part time limp. It'd drive me insane.

Splittings kind've an Occam's razor solution though... the simplest most effective one perhaps but jeeze, three full years for nothing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

I don't think you even really need to add the "somewhat" caveat, 25 is a p reasonable line to draw for "should have at least attempted to start a career", it's not like your prospects get better inherently as you get older, if anything they get worse and worse cause everyone expects you to already have x years of experience in the field by that point.

Not to say that you're doomed if you have a few stumbles along the way, but just spinning your wheels and not evening managing to stick to a single degree by then is not a good look unless he's just looking for a dependent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe it's the kick up the rear end she needs.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Today on "what did you think was going to happen?":

I [32f] forced my long-time gf [27f] to come out to her parents, her parents now hate her, and now she's shutting me out

Not that there's many happy endings in this sort of situation, but seriously, what did OP think was going to happen when her GF came out to homophobic parents?

Eh, GF is a dick but speaking from experience if they're not religious they'll get over it. It's not really about moral convictions, but face. As long as one of them gets lots of cash or a posh sounding job things will be fine, straight child with poor husband is worth less than richy rich gaybos in competing with community stakes. They need to have some swirl babies and things will be smoothed out.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

We got in a big fight and I gave her an ultimatum

TIL that lesbians can be abusers, too!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Eh, GF is a dick but speaking from experience if they're not religious they'll get over it. It's not really about moral convictions, but face. As long as one of them gets lots of cash or a posh sounding job things will be fine, straight child with poor husband is worth less than richy rich gaybos in competing with community stakes. They need to have some swirl babies and things will be smoothed out.

I'm pretty sure there's some cultural elements you're overlooking. Also I like how the author glosses over how its literally all her fault and that she essentially ruined her partners family life.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't think you even really need to add the "somewhat" caveat, 25 is a p reasonable line to draw for "should have at least attempted to start a career", it's not like your prospects get better inherently as you get older, if anything they get worse and worse cause everyone expects you to already have x years of experience in the field by that point.

Not to say that you're doomed if you have a few stumbles along the way, but just spinning your wheels and not evening managing to stick to a single degree by then is not a good look unless he's just looking for a dependent.

Pretty much this. There's a whole class of otherwise decent people who make lousy partners because they jump from one thing to another without any kind of long-term plan.

Degree aside, it takes like five or six years to get good at something. The longer you go without putting in that time, the more of a liability it is.

It's not that people expect you to be better at something because you're older, exactly. It's that the things you want to do in your late 20's and early 30's -- kids, investment, social life, and so on -- depend on being able to capitalize on some well-developed skill.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

tactlessbastard posted:

TIL that lesbians can be abusers, too!

lesbian relationships are notorious for abuse, they're more likely to be abusive than any other pattern. part of this is because being gay can isolate you from friend and family support networks as we see.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

My [25M] girlfriend [25F] is travelling Europe solo, wants a Free Pass

quote:

My girlfriend and I are in a happy relationship, it's been probably over a year; there's talk of marriage, kids etc. in our future together. A recent opportunity for her to travel arose, but due to study commitments, I am unable to travel with her. Regardless, I encouraged her to travel without me, to go make memories etc. etc.
Here's the part that gets tricky, she's a very free spirited girl, and while she loves me, she has told me that she doesn't want to feel restricted in her adventures, she wants to enjoy herself and not have to worry about breaking any rules. She told me that she can't promise she won't sleep with other guys in case she makes a strong connection with someone.
She knows that I am very uncomfortable with this yet she still doesn't want to promise her fidelity.
What the hell am I supposed to do here? Do relationships only count if they are in the same area code??

And further, in the comments by OP;

quote:

She said it's only because we are so young, and if we are spending the rest of our lives together then she wants to enjoy what freedom she still could have. She's never had a one night stand, that kinda fling' thing, so i'm guessing she wants to experience what that's all about.
Funny thing is she said she would hate if i hosed another girl while she was away. Go figure?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Parsley posted:

Subverting gender roles, nice.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Parsley posted:

american girls that go to hostels are easy so even if she'd promised fidelity she end up sleeping with people lmao

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I [28M] found out my sister [21F] was in an abusive relationship and did something stupid

quote:

submitted 17 minutes ago by sistersexthrow

My sister moved away from our home town a couple of years ago to University. She lives about 3 hours away from my home town now so even though I get to see her for the holidays and communicate via facebook, we don't see each other often at all compared to in the past. We have not had the best life in our home town, it is a pretty rough area so whilst I still live near there, I also moved too.

My sister has been dating this guy for about a year, I'd met him once, seemed OK, never really thought much about it. She seemed happy, so I was happy. However, the other day I received a message in the "Other" inbox on facebook. It was from my sister's room mate, Emma.

I've never met Emma before, I've heard about her so I was surprised to see this. She basically explained how my sister's boyfriend has been controlling her and has started to hit her now, sending me a photo of her with a massive black eye. She said all her friends here were worried about her as they phoned the police and she lied for him, so the police just left it as a domestic incident and blamed alcohol for rising tensions up.

First thing I do is facetime my sister, I get rejected. Obviously she didn't want me to see this black eye. I told her I had heard about her black eye, she lied and said it was an "accident" but when asked to clarify she couldn't. Emma was also telling me other evidence about how my sister's boyfriend had been abusive to her.

So, like I said I came from a rough town. Whilst my sister was quiet and not involved in that when she was younger, I was involved. I was well known and people knew not to mess with me a few years ago. However, I turned my life around and got away from all of that. The problem is when I was angry about this, I made a phone call to call in a favour I was owed and sent a guy to my sister's University town to rough this guy up. I wish I didn't, but I was angry. I knew I couldn't do it, it would be too obvious.

So my friend went down, and beat this guy up, warning him to keep away from my sister otherwise it would be much worse next time. He dumped my sister and blocked her not long after that. I thought that was the end of it, obviously I knew my sister needed healing, but my sister realised something was fishy with the timing. She asked me if I had something to do with it, and I said "no comment". I told her I wouldn't be talking about the guy anymore. She goes into a massive tirade about how I'm worse than her ex and an animal. Now she won't talk to me because she's lost the love of her life, in her words.

I honestly don't know how to make it up to her. I wish I didn't react the way I did and get back into my old ways, but at the same time I'm happy that my goal worked, to split them up. I wish my sister would talk to me though.

tl;dr: Sister was in an abusive relationship, which was getting pretty bad. I found out and got a friend to "have a word" with the boyfriend. The boyfriend dumped my sister and now my sister won't talk to me as she figured out what happened. How can I sort this mess out?

"what's a good throwaway username for this situation, I know, sister sex throw"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

The "if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life" attitude is behind most problems like this. Yeah it's nice if you get a job you love, but realistically most people will end up in something that's just kind of okay and do what they love in their free time.

Save extreme examples on either end of the spectrum (something like child protective services, where you either can't deal with the horrors of human depravity, or you feel rewarded for making a difference where you can) whether or not you enjoy your job is 45% your attitude and 45% the people you work with/work for, and 10% what you're actually doing.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

It's a well known rule that if you're abroad you can't cheat on your loved one

The cheating can't stretch tthat far, so it doesnt count

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Save extreme examples on either end of the spectrum (something like child protective services, where you either can't deal with the horrors of human depravity, or you feel rewarded for making a difference where you can) whether or not you enjoy your job is 45% your attitude and 45% the people you work with/work for, and 10% what you're actually doing.

someone's never worked in a call center

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

someone's never worked in a call center

I'd file that under "extreme example."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whorelord posted:

american girls that go to hostels are easy so even if she'd promised fidelity she end up sleeping with people lmao

Yeah, dude didnt really need to wait for the "oh yeah, Im a gently caress every accented man with a vague understanding of english or at least a cute smile" because thats what traveling by hostel means for most american women.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

As a not-american, i am takin notes

i m gonna go visit so many hostels and find your fat ugly american women that i can seduce

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

therobit posted:

Many white liberals in cities live in a bubble and do not understand that anything outside of thier experience exists. It lost them the last two mid term election cycles and caused HRC to lose to the one candidate we all thought could not possibly pull out a win.

Maybe people want to live their lives as they see fit and her girlfriend's parents are horrible idiots?

She didn't out her girlfriend, she gave her a choice. Her parents are the ones being completely unreasonable.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 17, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Maybe people want to live their lives as they see fit and her girlfriend's parents are horrible idiots?

She didn't out her girlfriend, she gave her a choice. Her parents are the ones being completely unreasonable.

It sounds like she gave ger an ultimatum, blindly assuming that there would be no fallout, because she is a moron.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

My first ever experience of an American family was there. Old guy, next a stone and his wife with a camera.

"Make like an Obelisk, Harold".

Shameful. Surely, they meant to say menhir.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

therobit posted:

It sounds like she gave ger an ultimatum, blindly assuming that there would be no fallout, because she is a moron.

Maybe her parents are homophobic idiots, because they are morons.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

therobit posted:

yep

forcing people to come out is extremely lovely

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Of course homophobia is bad, but that doesn't mean it is right to force someone out of the closet.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm pretty sure the girl knows her parents are homophobic idiots that doesn't make the situation any easier for her...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

therobit posted:

Of course homophobia is bad, but that doesn't mean it is right to force someone out of the closet.

I don't think it's an ideal situation either, and it's a lovely thing to do, but if I'm assigning blame here it's going to go more on the bigots in this situation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Never loving out a person against their express wishes or emotionally blackmail them into outing themselves - this is not difficult to understand.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't think it's an ideal situation either, and it's a lovely thing to do, but if I'm assigning blame here it's going to go more on the bigots in this situation.

you can blame both of them, it's okay

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fartbox posted:

As a not-american, i am takin notes

i m gonna go visit so many hostels and find your fat ugly american women that i can seduce

really your main barrier is just the general american stupidity/annoying voices

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Never loving out a person against their express wishes or emotionally blackmail them into outing themselves - this is not difficult to understand.

Yeah, I get it a little more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fartbox posted:

We should all strive for that reaction when someone says they're gay

You see, spamming GBS catchphrases is a strategy to enact positive social change