Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm gonna take a moment to talk about a TV show that explicitly doesn't ignore black people (because it's hosted by one!). I watched last week's episode of United Shades of America, all about black people in Chicago and it was a really heartbreaking look at a community that only seems to get talked about in hushed whispers and sadly shaking heads. as it turns out, when you talk to people in gangs in dangerous neighborhoods in the south side of Chicago and you ask them what should be done, they sound like normal human beings who care about their communities, families, and particularly children, instead of selfish violent monsters who get off from shooting children. And that they don't view all cops as inherently evil people, and would actually appreciate an increased police presence if that didn't bring with it a bunch of unwarranted violence against black people. He wrote a pretty great overview/editorial on CNN.com too:

quote:

This week, Chicago was in the news for a good reason. And that is pretty rare these days. If it's not more reports of street violence, then it's the President threatening the city with ... well, I don't really know what exactly.

Former President Barack Obama -- who should be the No. 1 contender for the next Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" campaign -- announced that he and his wife, Michelle -- aka Beyonce's Beyonce -- were donating $2 million to programs designed to help at-risk youth find summer jobs. (I guess now we have an idea what Obama might have planned for with his $400,000 from Wall Street.) But that wasn't the only reason Chicago was in the news. It was also reported that someone shot and injured two police officers. The second story is unfortunately the kind that America more often thinks about when Chicago comes to mind.

Knowing that more people associate Chicago with street violence than generosity is difficult for me, because despite all my proclamations of being from the Bay Area, I have spent much of my life in Chicago. So I have a deep love and a pretty good understanding of the city. And that's why this week on "United Shades of America With W. Kamau Bell," I felt so compelled to go back and see if I could get the real story about how the reputation of Chicago matches up with the reality.

While I was there, I asked a man named Wild Wild the General, an admitted gang member in the Altgeld Gardens Homes project on the South Side, whether his city is better or worse off than people think it is. He didn't hesitate: "It's worse," he said.

I was shocked. I was prepared for him to say the media had gotten it all wrong about the pervasiveness of gang violence in Chicago. But he and his crew let me know that people outside of the affected neighborhoods really have no idea how bad it is.

In 2016, there were 762 homicides in Chicago -- more than in New York and Los Angeles combined. That is a staggering, heartbreaking number. We're talking people of all ages, races, ethnicities and genders -- the very young to the very old. But I know that violence is not the whole story of Chicago. And I know this because, again, I used to live there.

Our President would have you think violence is the entire story. In various tweets and speeches, he refers to the carnage of Chicago, as if the murder rate has turned the whole city into some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland -- the kind of Old West town that only exists in cowboy movies. It is simply not true. (And worse, his rhetoric does a disservice to other cities struggling with similar problems.)

One thing that people outside Chicago need to understand is that the city is not just one thing. It is one city, but it is huge and sprawling. And historically it has been one of America's most segregated cities.
The size of the city and the nature of how independent the neighborhoods are means that not only do people who live outside Chicago not know what is going on there, Chicagoans often don't know what is going on there. I remember feeling that myself. While I grew up on the South Side in Hyde Park, when I got my own apartment and moved to the North Side, I might as well have needed a passport -- that's how different life was from how it had been on the South Side.

This is especially true when you compare my North Side neighborhood with those that surrounded Hyde Park. Hyde Park is a neighborhood controlled by the University of Chicago, which means it might as well have a dome on top of it. The University of Chicago has its own police force that is there mostly to protect Hyde Park from the surrounding neighborhoods. It is like an elementary school diorama, showing the surrounding areas what a safe neighborhood can look like. And many of the neighborhoods that surround Hyde Park experience that crime and death for which Chicago is known.

To put it bluntly, here's how the map of the city works: The South and West sides are in large part the Chicago of rap music, crime stats, miles of undeveloped land, schools that will inspire the next wave of those 1990s "Dangerous Minds"-type movies, and governmental neglect. The North Side is the Chicago of Cubs games, blues bars safe for white tourists, Bill Murray and the future Not Ready for Primetime Players at Second City, and hot dogs that look like the contents of a refrigerator fell on them. The East Side is Lake Michigan.

And while people outside Chicago seemingly love to talk about the city like it is a foreign land that needs military intervention, the people who live in these neighborhoods aren't interested in being victims. They know what the solutions are and want to see them happen. And. I'm. Including. The. Gang. Members. In. That. Statement. Too.

You'll meet some of these folks Sunday. There are people such as Diane Latiker who runs Kids Off the Block, which helps youths spend their time productively after school; Kofi Ademola from Black Lives Matter Chicago; and Pastor Jolinda Wade. In addition to being NBA star Dwyane Wade's mom, Jolinda Wade has a harrowing and inspirational story of drug abuse and gang-banging before she turned her life over to the church and then to her community. I also talk to Grammy Award-winning producer Malik Yusef, who talks openly about how caught up he was in the gang life, and he also talks the same way about how hard he is working to use his success to help people in his community. He introduced me to a few of the rappers who made it out and still feel the pull of their communities (in good ways and bad).

To a person, all of them know what could fix their neighborhoods. In one way or another, they said they need reinvestment from the business community. They need the city to provide better schools. (Public radio station WBEZ points out how drastically librarian positions are being cut from Chicago's public schools. And here I always thought having a school library was one of the foundational principles of a school. ) They need a criminal justice system that is there to support and not occupy their neighborhoods. Basically, the people of the South and West sides need to be treated like the North Side.

I spoke to some North Side residents on this trip, and I asked them about the South and West sides of town. And it was like I was asking them about the South Side of Aleppo. These people on the North can certainly do a better job of connecting with the other parts of the city. But if North Siders won't connect with them and the government won't do it, then it seems like it is incumbent on others to step up. In addition to the people I mentioned, recently Chance the Rapper donated $1 million to the Chicago public school system. When I heard that figure, I thought I had misread it. I hadn't. He's got it like that. That figure was matched by the Chicago Bulls.

Chicago is a world-class city filled with amazing people with big ideas. It shouldn't need outside help -- its local government needs to step up to be as amazing as its people. I know Chicago has the resources. All over the North Side and downtown buildings are going up. Change is constantly in the air. But meanwhile the South and West sides are much the same, if not worse. The people of Chicago deserve better. They know they deserve better. The question is: Is anybody listening to them?

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, during my time living in Chicago, I spent all of my four years living on the North Side (very very north side, Rogers Park), and never found a reason to go further south than Chinatown (though I did spend some time in Waukegan, a suburb about 45 minutes to the north with it's own set of problems). I'm planning on going back to Chicago eventually because I really, deeply love living in the city, but I know that when I go back I want to do something more than just defending the city when people disparage it, which happens a lot where I live in Iowa (even in the more liberal college town I grew up in). Chicago could easily be one of the greatest cities in the world, but we need to make sure that all parts of the city have the resources they need so that the people living there can succeed.

the episode also points out the super-bummer that is Jeff Sessions completely blowing off the report about how loving awful CPD is because apparently "people disparaging police officers" is a much bigger issue than "black people keep getting shot by police officers". And seriously, gently caress CPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I mean, Chicago sort of already is a great global city - plenty of rankings put it up there with major global capitals. The issue is that this glosses over the fact that two huge areas of the city are basically ignored. I'm not sure there's an easy fix for that, given that municipal government is basically non-existent in those areas, they're insanely segregated, they are legitimately dangerous, and they're policed by a department whose employees were tapped as torture experts in Guantanamo. Also the city is in a huge amount of debt and is incredibly into privatizing everything.

Totally agreed that people have to step up to make a change, but realistically so does the government (which I guess also requires people to act ofc). I think living there definitely disabuses you of trumps characterization, but it also ends up showing all these other really deep rooted issues.

Im also a former north side resident as well, but also spent a decent amount of time on the south side for work and was involved with some community programs to improve education outcomes and public libraries there. Often these initiatives would work, but without government funding or the infrastructure around them to let people succeed it feels a bit like a drop in a leaky bucket. I guess what I'm saying is that this was sort of discouraging knowing that these programs wouldn't get the support to be done broadly even if they got great results.

(Also the North side was pretty intense culture shock - it's just SO homogenous)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Came here to post some stuff that was brought to my attention.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/lolas-story/524490/
This article posted in The Atlantic by a Pulitzer prize-winning author (post death) has stirred up quite a bit of discussion.

It was a bit of a hard read for me so do take your time with it. I'm still working through my feelings about it. Right now, I'm just so furious at the author and his family.

https://twitter.com/hautepop/status/864550142451617792
Stumbled across a good thread about it which contains several linked responses to it here.

Because of this thread I was introduced to this talented woman and I love her music.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/11/527911058/rhiannon-giddens-speaks-for-the-silenced

I need a bit of time to process this and it might not even be my place to speak so... I may or may not be back.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jenner posted:

This article posted in The Atlantic by a Pulitzer prize-winning author (post death) has stirred up quite a bit of discussion.

It was a bit of a hard read for me so do take your time with it. I'm still working through my feelings about it. Right now, I'm just so furious at the author and his family.

Stumbled across a good thread about it which contains several linked responses to it here.

Because of this thread I was introduced to this talented woman and I love her music.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/11/527911058/rhiannon-giddens-speaks-for-the-silenced

I need a bit of time to process this and it might not even be my place to speak so... I may or may not be back.

That Twitter thread linked her obituary, which Tizon was also the primary source on, and it's goddamned nightmarish.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jesus Christ. I've read a lot of hosed up poo poo on these forums but that was far and away the most heartbreaking thing I can remember reading.

EDIT: gently caress that guy's entire family, I mean. That poor woman.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 17, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Goddamn that was loving awful. That poor woman never got a chance to have a normal life, it was always in service of that family.

It also makes me wonder how often this happens. Given the lengths the parents went to hide the very obvious fact that the woman was literally their slave, I imagine they are not the only family to pull this kind of thing :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panfilo posted:

Goddamn that was loving awful. That poor woman never got a chance to have a normal life, it was always in service of that family.

It also makes me wonder how often this happens. Given the lengths the parents went to hide the very obvious fact that the woman was literally their slave, I imagine they are not the only family to pull this kind of thing :(

Anytime you encounter a prostitute or exotic dancer flip a coin. Heads? That person is a slave. It's insanely common. I wonder how much of the reaction to this story in particular is that she was a domestic slave rather than a sex worker. It certainly adds a layer of "closer to home" to it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There definitely is more awareness of human trafficking these days (I'm assuming it's because the public started to become aware white people are affected which is why some of them suddenly started caring, in spite of it going on for a long rear end time) and you're probably right that people's reactions are probably affected differently between a sex worker and a domestic worker.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jenner posted:

Adrian Chen has an interesting collection of responses by Phillipinos to the story here

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Patrick Spens posted:

Adrian Chen has an interesting collection of responses by Phillipinos to the story here

I see some Filipinos are conflicted with this, but you know? gently caress their shame. gently caress their honor. That woman was a slave. This is hosed up.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Patrick Spens posted:

I feel like a lot of these responses don't make sense without knowing what they're responding to, insofar as they keep referencing liberals and cultural posturing, etc.

I lol'd at that one dumb person who asserted that conservatives view other cultures with more nuance than liberals tho.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

I see some Filipinos are conflicted with this, but you know? gently caress their shame. gently caress their honor. That woman was a slave. This is hosed up.

Yeah. Even if it is different in the Philippines or more complicated or whatever, that all went away the moment they moved this woman to the US. Couldn't speak the language, no income, and a dicey immigration situation, what choice did she have but to stay with the people who couldn't even bother to give her an actual loving place to sleep at night.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

there wolf posted:

Yeah. Even if it is different in the Philippines or more complicated or whatever, that all went away the moment they moved this woman to the US. Couldn't speak the language, no income, and a dicey immigration situation, what choice did she have but to stay with the people who couldn't even bother to give her an actual loving place to sleep at night.

Also, if it's different there, then comment on the wrongness of the things that made it different and whether they're enough, rather than saying it's different to brush off having to be introspective. Bringing it back on the thread's main topic, brushing things off like that rather than thinking about the similarities is how white people treat the past (at least as far as white people talking among themselves goes, I bet it's not nearly as polite outside that context).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 18, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

there wolf posted:

Guess what? It's still wrong to do in the Philippines, too. Human rights are human rights.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

stone cold posted:

Guess what? It's still wrong to do in the Philippines, too. Human rights are human rights.

I'd agree in general, but not being Filipino or an expert on their culture I'm not going to tell a bunch of Filipino people that they're absolutely wrong based on my limited knowledge and some tweets. What I can say with absolute conviction is that in the US, Lola was a slave by any definition and so all the people sighing over white westerners judging her treatment by our own cultural standards can shove it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, when people called out the current Filipino president on his own take on the 'War on Drugs', many Filipinos responded with stuff to the effect of, "You don't understand, you're not Filipino" .

So I'm not surprised at the reaction of some Filipino-Americans on twitter. I mean if people can tolerate the Duterte Regime, then the idea of domestic slavery is going to seem like chump change in comparison.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 19, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Also, when people called out the current Filipino president on his own take on the 'War on Drugs', many Filipinos responded with stuff to the effect of, "You don't understand, you're not Filipino" .

So I'm not surprised at the reaction of some Filipino-Americans on twitter. I mean if people can tolerate the Duerte Regime, then the idea of domestic slavery is going to seem like chump change in comparison.

#1 Duterte.

#2 Turning a blind eye to injustices under the auspices of cultural mismatch is a tacit endorsement of it, and every Filipinx American who defends both this and Digong's regime should be ashamed of themselves. Like, the man wants to execute children. Or in other words:

stone cold posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Sheriff David Clarke is now officially assistant secretary of the DHS. I actually think this is an improvement because the DHS has a ton of bureaucracy to keep him from changing/disregarding policy and procedure on a whim like he does in Milwaukee, and federal appointees have much more potent oversight than "hope Scott Walker does a good thing, ever". Maybe people will stop dying in county jail constantly now.

As an assistant secretary, how much damage is he even in a position to do on his own? I know there's probably going to be 100x the "race traitor" hot takes now when he says something stupid though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
In case you don't know who David Clarke is, he intentionally murdered people in his jails by letting them die of thirst, and other things.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

doverhog posted:

In case you don't know who David Clarke is, he intentionally murdered people in his jails by letting them die of thirst, and other things.

Among those other things being that he calls BLM a hate group. His wikipedia page is basically a big list of what makes you a terrible person.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Among those other things being that he calls BLM a hate group. His wikipedia page is basically a big list of what makes you a terrible person.

His RNC speech made me physically ill.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
X posting.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/22/rihanna-lupita-nyongo-ava-duvernay-movie/

EW posted:

After dramatic negotiation session at the Cannes Film Festival, Netflix has nabbed a film project pairing Grammy winner Rihanna with Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o, in a concept that began as a Twitter sensation. Ava DuVernay (Selma) will direct, and Issa Rae (Insecure) is in talks to write the screenplay.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

NGL I am super pumped about this project

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Morby posted:

His RNC speech made me physically ill.
Hopefully this speech reverses that

http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2017/05/transcript-of-new-orleans-mayor-landrieus-address-on-confederate-monuments

I assume that the contents of this link are good enough for me to post it without any real comment on it. I want to read your reactions to it. I think it is a Good Thing personally.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2017/05/transcript-of-new-orleans-mayor-landrieus-address-on-confederate-monuments

I assume that the contents of this link are good enough for me to post it without any real comment on it. I want to read your reactions to it. I think it is a Good Thing personally.

This is one of the best speeches I have ever read. Thank you for posting it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

signalnoise posted:

Whoa, I'm getting teary eyed over here. :unsmith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Whoa, I'm getting teary eyed over here. :unsmith:

same, that was a fantastic and incredibly moving speech

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I read that a couple days ago and it's 100% awesome and uplifting

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So this was passed to me last night by a friend, it is an email replying to a craigslist ad seeking to add PoC rappers to form a local political, pro-Black hip-hop group:

There ain't a facepalm big enough for this poo poo.

I've suggested they reply with something along the lines of "We appreciate your interest in the position, and while your skills and qualifications are more than sufficient for this position, we feel at this time that you would not be a good culture fit for our organization, and we will be moving forward with other candidates".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HotCanadianChick posted:

So this was passed to me last night by a friend, it is an email replying to a craigslist ad seeking to add PoC rappers to form a local political, pro-Black hip-hop group:

There ain't a facepalm big enough for this poo poo.

I've suggested they reply with something along the lines of "We appreciate your interest in the position, and while your skills and qualifications are more than sufficient for this position, we feel at this time that you would not be a good culture fit for our organization, and we will be moving forward with other candidates".

Lol. I go to all the meetings and nobody who hangs with black people talks like that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The local rag posted an editorial calling for the removal of our own monument to sore losers. It'll be interesting to see how many places end up following in New Orleans' footsteps with this.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

there wolf posted:

The local rag posted an editorial calling for the removal of our own monument to sore losers. It'll be interesting to see how many places end up following in New Orleans' footsteps with this.

Hope springs eternal that it's "all of them".

I'm loving tired of seeing the lone giant-rear end black truck in Ann Arbor with a confederate flag. We were in the Union, you stupid fucker.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I too also worry about whitepower coalition of musicians not allowing black people.

Wack af

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
*extremely white person voice* Motherfuckers be wack as gently caress, dog.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

I too also worry about whitepower coalition of musicians not allowing black people.

Wack af

It really is the exclusion of black people that's the big concern when it comes to white power music groups...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There sure are some racist Star Trek fans who are unhappy about the cast of the new series. :gonk:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

silvergoose posted:

There sure are some racist Star Trek fans who are unhappy about the cast of the new series. :gonk:

My only problem with it is they buried it on a pay to watch web thing where no one will watch it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

cis autodrag posted:

My only problem with it is they buried it on a pay to watch web thing where no one will watch it.

The good news is I believe netflix said they will release the episode online for people to watch, except in the US...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I don't think they "get" star trek. Though it's impressive how white as hell it's been despite attempting some revolutionary politics in the 60s. I'm pretty sure Captain Kirk calls capitalism "barbaric necessity" at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there any discussion of American Gods on STARZ going on here?

The bits with Anansi, Bilquis, Anubis and Thoth have a lot of material to unpack in them and the actors cast in each of the roles have been loving killing it.

I mean, holy poo poo:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/american-gods-delivers-a-powerful-black-lives-matter-message

• Locked thread