Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dutymode posted:

My pet peeve with TT and really most motorcycle-related forums is that any time someone asks a question, it feels like 90% of the answers are people telling them to use the search function.

and as a result, 90% of the search results I get are closed threads asking my question with the response: "Use the search function"

oh hey new page.
Here have a project:
https://goo.gl/photos/TE6fWLRGmuEF3Jiy9

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Quickshifter problem. Adjusted my lever-end clutch cable on the bike, now the QS won't work. Not sure how to adjust to fix it. Came with the bike, my first QS system, don't know poo poo about working on them. Pls halp

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Possibly tightened the cable too much and the clutch is actually partially engaged now?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Taking apart a 1987 Concours with 23k miles on it. So far the main needles were shimmed with four washers each and the air filter was shredded and full of mouse nesting.

Question, though: I'm looking into the intakes and I see the valves are caked in black crud. Should I attempt to clean them, and is it worth removing the head to do so?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Quickshifter problem. Adjusted my lever-end clutch cable on the bike, now the QS won't work. Not sure how to adjust to fix it. Came with the bike, my first QS system, don't know poo poo about working on them. Pls halp

Which way did you adjust it? Might have grounded the QS setup or powered it through the clutch switch. Would be dumb but fits the symptoms. Have you messed with anything else lately? What type of QS is it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Taking apart a 1987 Concours with 23k miles on it. So far the main needles were shimmed with four washers each and the air filter was shredded and full of mouse nesting.

Question, though: I'm looking into the intakes and I see the valves are caked in black crud. Should I attempt to clean them, and is it worth removing the head to do so?

Not at this point. Priorities first, I'm assuming the bike doesn't run/runs like dog balls. Step one is check compression and clearances (free), step two is fix the carbs (cheap) and get it running well enough to ride. After that, dial your carbs in and take it for an Italian tuneup and revisit the valves.

On a bike that old a bunch of crap on the intake valves is fairly normal, there's a good chance the valve seals are rooted but tackle the easy stuff first and you have a good shot at getting a good running bike without serious surgery.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I've never messed with a modern quick shifter so I don't get it, why would it be connected to the clutch at all? I thought it was just the shifter and the ignition/fuel system.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Z3n posted:

Which way did you adjust it? Might have grounded the QS setup or powered it through the clutch switch. Would be dumb but fits the symptoms. Have you messed with anything else lately? What type of QS is it?

Guy at the track had a similar issue, and adjusting the lever made the QS sensor actually touch the motor and kept it from going its full travel. Might be worth checking.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Might be able to determine if the signal is firing from actuating the linkage, if this FT FAQ is applicable:

https://ftecu.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=21

And you could always add force manually to determine if its a problem with the linkage or a problem with the sensor if that is the case.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Not at this point. Priorities first, I'm assuming the bike doesn't run/runs like dog balls.

Uhhh actually somehow it ran pretty okay. It's a mess inside and out, but it performs fine. Took it for a couple hundred mile cruise a few weeks ago. I just finished the carb clean and air filter replacement. Next weekend I'm reinstalling the carbs and airbox, doing a valve adjustment, coolant flush, oil and filter, and brake lines.

Slavvy posted:

there's a good chance the valve seals are rooted

I don't know what rooted means.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's ANZAC slang for hosed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

loving = rooting/buggering
hosed = rooted/buggered

Seems pretty simple to me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've never messed with a modern quick shifter so I don't get it, why would it be connected to the clutch at all? I thought it was just the shifter and the ignition/fuel system.

Just a guess, but maybe so it doesn't cut the ignition when you're doing a normal clutched shift?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The clear visor on my RPHA 11 helmet has crazy amounts of glare at night time from opposing headlights. What can I do to reduce glare and make it safer? I keep it really clean and there arent any scratches, its still less than a week old. The pinlock is not installed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

The clear visor on my RPHA 11 helmet has crazy amounts of glare at night time from opposing headlights. What can I do to reduce glare and make it safer? I keep it really clean and there arent any scratches, its still less than a week old. The pinlock is not installed

You *have* removed the protective film from the visor, haven't you? I know someone who had this exact problem.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You *have* removed the protective film from the visor, haven't you? I know someone who had this exact problem.

yeah it had stuff printed all over and was impossible to miss. There was no film on the inside

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The QS is a run of the mill dynojet. I loosened the cable at the lever and then tightened it, just not as tight as it was previously (was moving the friction zone for comfort). Haven't done anything else to the system.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Trace the harness on the QS and see where it is hooked up.

Also double check all connections, look for visible damage on the harness, and check that the shift rod can move cleanly.

paid2lurk
Mar 29, 2010

Day Man posted:

I had a dying fuel pump that acted that way. Seemed to worn fine until the engine was warmed up, then bug issues with power delivery, and it eventually started dying when it warmed up. Took forever to figure out it was the fuel pump.

So my question from the last page....yeah it was the fuel pump. I would have never thought that a 2011 could look like this. I guess it sat for much longer than I was lead to believe.

:gonk:

Cleaned out the tank and installed the new fuel pump this weekend. Holy poo poo. Sooo much better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

paid2lurk posted:

So my question from the last page....yeah it was the fuel pump. I would have never thought that a 2011 could look like this. I guess it sat for much longer than I was lead to believe.

:gonk:

Cleaned out the tank and installed the new fuel pump this weekend. Holy poo poo. Sooo much better.

:catstare:

You should take the injectors out and have them cleaned.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks re: quickshifter, I'll see if I can find anything this weekend.

Lmao it looks like a smashed ultra decadent brownie

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:wtc: :stonk:

How did that bike even run at all

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beach Bum posted:

:wtc: :stonk:

How did that bike even run at all

:smug: Japanese engineering :smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That pump looks like it pumped a shitload of water for some length of time. I'd definitely look into cleaning the injectors/carb jets and I'd take a good look around inside the tank, too.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
This seems like a dumb question, but are motorcycle tires repairable?

Picked that up last night :( Not even 300mi on the bike, so I don't NEED a new tire if I can get away with a patch.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

robotsinmyhead posted:

This seems like a dumb question, but are motorcycle tires repairable?

Picked that up last night :( Not even 300mi on the bike, so I don't NEED a new tire if I can get away with a patch.

Put 143 more in there and ride on snow and ice (plug it)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

If that's not a tube tire, sure. Repair it the same way you would repair a car tire.

There's a special kind of patch called a mushroom patch that is especially good for motorcycle tires, but it's more expensive than a normal patch.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

EX250 Type R posted:

Put 143 more in there and ride on snow and ice (plug it)

It's a sheet metal screw with a big washered base on it, so it's actually holding air. Kinda wanna do some sparky burnouts while it's still there.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

robotsinmyhead posted:

It's a sheet metal screw with a big washered base on it, so it's actually holding air. Kinda wanna do some sparky burnouts while it's still there.

post video tia

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This morning I went to start my bike for the first time in a month and the battery was mega dead. Indicator lights were barely even lit. I got out the multimeter and the voltage was about 9.5 :negative:

I replaced the battery myself last year and either trickle charged or rode it at least every month thru the winter. Last time I touched it was about a month ago and it started beautifully. What the f.

My question is, whatever the reason for its discharge (I'll check the wiring for current leaks), is a battery all the way down to 9.5V dead dead, or if i charge it is there a chance it's still okay?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Well I signed up for a local KTM Demo days. The only bike they had available when a few of my friends were going was a KTM 1290 SuperDuke.

I'm a little nervous as my current bike is a DL 650.. Anyone else made a big jump like that? I'm a fairly confident rider.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

diapermeat posted:

Well I signed up for a local KTM Demo days. The only bike they had available when a few of my friends were going was a KTM 1290 SuperDuke.

I'm a little nervous as my current bike is a DL 650.. Anyone else made a big jump like that? I'm a fairly confident rider.

surely a eurobike that expensive has a city mode until you get used to it. You are probably fine anyways. 600-1000 isnt as big a deal as people make out unless its like a 600 standard to a 1000 super sport. If its a group ride like most demos you wont be allowed to go fast considering the slowpoke in front of and behind you

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

alnilam posted:

This morning I went to start my bike for the first time in a month and the battery was mega dead. Indicator lights were barely even lit. I got out the multimeter and the voltage was about 9.5 :negative:

I replaced the battery myself last year and either trickle charged or rode it at least every month thru the winter. Last time I touched it was about a month ago and it started beautifully. What the f.

My question is, whatever the reason for its discharge (I'll check the wiring for current leaks), is a battery all the way down to 9.5V dead dead, or if i charge it is there a chance it's still okay?

9v is unrecoverable. I'd say you're probably hosed. I would say that it could be a soft-short (or self short): lead sediment blown off the plates settles in the bottom and eventually conducts enough electricity between the plates to drain the battery.
It's also possible that a couple plates probably became bridged and it quickly discharged itself. Generally the casing of the battery swells in this instance if the battery is not vented (sealed or maintenance free).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Fauxtool posted:

600-1000 isnt as big a deal as people make out unless its like a 600 standard to a 1000 super sport.

That's exactly what this is. The superduke is a 180HP supersport with handlebars.

Pretty sure it has a 'Rain' mode, tho.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

9v is unrecoverable. I'd say you're probably hosed. I would say that it could be a soft-short (or self short): lead sediment blown off the plates settles in the bottom and eventually conducts enough electricity between the plates to drain the battery.
It's also possible that a couple plates probably became bridged and it quickly discharged itself. Generally the casing of the battery swells in this instance if the battery is not vented (sealed or maintenance free).

The battery is traditional, i.e. vented and fillable. I'll check the electrolyte levels this evening, but any chance it's just thirsty?

I wish they made a sealed battery that fit my bike :sigh:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fauxtool posted:

If its a group ride like most demos you wont be allowed to go fast considering the slowpoke in front of and behind you

Depends on who's doing the demo. Last KTM streetbike demo I did, the guy doing the safety briefing said: "Everybody ready?" as his lecture, and people were doing whatever they wanted. At some point, the first half of the group got separated by a red light, and we had to find our way back to the dealer on our own, on these borrowed bikes. It was tons of fun, and I wish that KTM would bring their bike truck back to the midwest this summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

alnilam posted:

The battery is traditional, i.e. vented and fillable. I'll check the electrolyte levels this evening, but any chance it's just thirsty?

If it's thirsty, and putting out 9v. There's a better chance that it's just dead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

alnilam posted:

Is it really old or something? Cause they almost certainly do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is it really old or something? Cause they almost certainly do.

It's a 2007 kawasaki vulcan 500, which they stopped making in 2009 i think, and I've had trouble finding batteries that fit. Even the unsealed Yuasa batt I got wasn't quite right but ended up fitting.

Currently I'm searching by putting my bike model into revzilla, bikebandit, etc. and the only "exact match" that comes up is the unsealed one. Local auto and motorcycle part stores also would only sell me the same one.

Should I try just finding a sealed battery with slightly smaller dimensions and comparable CCA, and then shim it into place so it's snug? I'd like to avoid Li ion if possible but I guess that's another possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kuffs posted:

That's exactly what this is. The superduke is a 180HP supersport with handlebars.

Pretty sure it has a 'Rain' mode, tho.

hoho good luck. I missed that it was a 1290. It definitely has a rain mode that removes 50 or so HP

someone I know wants to buy a ducati monster, probably around 600cc not the huge ones. Are there any specific years or mechanical issues to look out for? How is it for 80/20 city/highway driving?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 17, 2017