Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paxman posted:

I think the right have got the message that they can't carry on as they were. Regardless of whether or not Corbyn's policies really are that different, the narrative is different now and much more popular. The old way was to pretend to be nice Tories while quietly doing left-wing things and while that worked for a bit it ended up alienating too many people.

I hope though that when it's time to choose a new leader, some of Corbyn's supporters will also be willing to admit that some things have to change, even if they only admit it in private. You need a leader who stands because they actually want to do the job, they need to have some idea how to unite the party (just saying 'well it's not my fault the PLP are poo poo' doesn't solve the problem even if it's true), they need to have some idea how to communicate their message and appoint people to help them who understand the media. The fact that the media are bad makes this more important, not less.

Given that the role of the Labour leader is largely to lead Labour MPs in Parliament, some thought has to go in to who might be capable of doing that. Electing someone the MPs have no confidence in and just wishing the MPs were different might seem like a reasonable position but it will never work if your goal is to convince people your party should be in government.

It's also a mistake to imagine that people who are unhappy with Corbyn are unhappy because they don't like policies such as borrowing to invest in infrastructure, putting money into the NHS, nationalising railways and other stuff that was in the manifesto earlier this week. They're unhappy because they think he's not very good at leading and that helps the Tories.

I'm actually pretty hopeful that Labour politicians will have a good think about what's been going wrong - which they didn't after 2010 or 2015 - and good candidates for the Labour leadership emerge after the general election. And maybe everyone will be able to believe they've been vindicated, because I'm hoping whoever ends up winning will be someone who portrays themselve as more or less continuing Corbyn's policies.

Having lurked in this thread off and on, it seems most of the posters are honestly open to an alternative to Corbyn but the issue is that the other choices have all been more or less the same (right) centrists. It would be great is a more politically astute version of Corbyn appeared but the question is are you willing to return to New Labour and completely capitulate?

Also, Labour has been slowly recovering in the polls, and while they are down since 2015...the margin is certainly slimming and I think the entire narrative of Corbyn "killing" Labour has become long in the tooth. Labour is going to lose, there is no doubt, but honestly it has much more due to the Conservatives uniting Leave voters under their banner than anything else.

Granted, if thats the case then not only is Britain screwed, Labour's best chance is to be an aggressive and vocal opposition and you are not going to get that from new Labour beyond the issue of Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paxman posted:

It's also a mistake to imagine that people who are unhappy with Corbyn are unhappy because they don't like policies such as borrowing to invest in infrastructure, putting money into the NHS, nationalising railways and other stuff that was in the manifesto earlier this week. They're unhappy because they think he's not very good at leading and that helps the Tories.

Insert Blair-wouldn't-want-left-wing-Labour-to -win.txt here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ardennes posted:

Having lurked in this thread off and on, it seems most of the posters are honestly open to an alternative to Corbyn but the issue is that the other choices have all been more or less the same (right) centrists. It would be great is a more politically astute version of Corbyn appeared but the question is are you willing to return to New Labour and completely capitulate?

Also, Labour has been slowly recovering in the polls, and while they are down since 2015...the margin is certainly slimming and I think the entire narrative of Corbyn "killing" Labour has become long in the tooth. Labour is going to lose, there is no doubt, but honestly it has much more due to the Conservatives uniting Leave voters under their banner than anything else.

Granted, if thats the case then not only is Britain screwed, Labour's best chance is to be an aggressive and vocal opposition and you are not going to get that from new Labour beyond the issue of Brexit.

This is where I'm at, pretty much, yeah.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

Unironically agree. Skinner is cool.
quoting this for when Brexit causes more harm to the working classes than any other government policy of the 21st century so far.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Better make sure that the Labour Left is eviscerated in Parliament to make sure it's a success for the working class then.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Any new Labour leader will need to free of too much associations with the right wing of the party, otherwise the membership are just not going to trust anything they say. Plus members will be very careful in voting in anyone who might take power away from the membership. First things first though, the change on the number of nominations to get on the ballot has to get pushed through the NEC.

Emily Thornberry looks like she might be the best "unity" candidate at the minute, she's pretty trusted by the left but appeals to the right on things like Trident.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

Better make sure that the Labour Left is eviscerated in Parliament to make sure it's a success for the working class then.
there can be no successful Brexit. he should've voted against it in the first place.

it's not about eviscerating the Labour Left. he could've retired and Barking Labour stood a left-wing pre-European candidate years ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Lib Dem manifesto is out http://www.libdems.org.uk/manifesto

Unsurprising focus is on Brexit - "fighting a hard Brexit" and promising a referendum on the negotiation results.

The main other point of note is a 1% increase on income tax (across all bands), with the proceeds ringfenced for health spending. Also will reverse cuts to Corp. tax.

Few other snippets:
- £100bn investment in infrastructure
- Lower voting age to 16
- Will bring the two worst performing rail franchises under a Gov-run company
- Will end bulk data collection, and won't oppose private encryption
- End imprisonment for personal possession drug offenses
- Suspend arms sales to Saudi
- Commit to 2% defence spend and 0.7% aid spend
- End to Continuous At Sea Deterrence
- Mandate TV leaders' debates in future elections (lol)

EDIT: Oh and completely missed they'll legalise and regulate (not decriminalise, but full-on legalise) weed.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 17, 2017

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
lol they’re too chickenshit to outright nullify the referendum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

there can be no successful Brexit. he should've voted against it in the first place.

it's not about eviscerating the Labour Left. he could've retired and Barking Labour stood a left-wing pre-European candidate years ago.
Labour could have done a lot of things years ago. They could have replaced the MP for Sedgefield with a left-winger. With things currently as they are I'd rather a Parliament with Skinner than without him.

Doesn't sound like her family is very religious.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wait they'll keep Trident but stop using it in the only way that makes it useful?

Jesus christ even this thread managed to come to an agreement that that was the worst of all worlds.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

namesake posted:

Wait they'll keep Trident but stop using it in the only way that makes it useful?

Jesus christ even this thread managed to come to an agreement that that was the worst of all worlds.

Yeah, that immediately stood out to me as particularly dumb- it's a cost cutting measure to only procure three Dreadnoughts rather than 4.

quote:

maintaining the deterrent through measures such as unpredictable and irregular patrolling patterns.

:lol:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

namesake posted:

Trident isn't useful though?

Apart from being a job creation scheme I guess.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

For everyone who thinks replacing Corbyn with literally anyone would improve Labours fortunes, some evidence for you!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-jeremy-corbyn-is-a-bigger-vote-winner-than-tony-blair-general-election-labour-2017-5

More people say they would vote for Labour led by Jeremy Corbyn than if it was led by Tony Blair, Yvette Cooper, Ed Milliband or Sadiq Khan.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ewan posted:

- Will bring the two worst performing rail franchises under a Gov-run company

Why only and exactly two, what is the reasoning behind that? Other than to be somewhere in between Nationalised and Privatised of course.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Well he has managed to get his prospects from "Whitewashed" up to "Around the same as his predecessor" although the snap election has actually helped him in that regard.
Have people forgotten that the government's majority this time was something of a surprise to a lot of people or something?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Theresa May was just over the road from me in Canary Wharf an hour ago, saying the Labour manifesto is "nonsensical". Boy, the Tories sure have limited their vocabulary lately.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's called Coherent Messaging, and it works, even if it is insufficiently ~nuanced~ for the thread.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jabby posted:

For everyone who thinks replacing Corbyn with literally anyone would improve Labours fortunes, some evidence for you!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-jeremy-corbyn-is-a-bigger-vote-winner-than-tony-blair-general-election-labour-2017-5

More people say they would vote for Labour led by Jeremy Corbyn than if it was led by Tony Blair, Yvette Cooper, Ed Milliband or Sadiq Khan.

Yvette Cooper has the biggest potential upside in the form of don't knows though. The incumbent always gets a bit of a boost in terms of name recognition.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

Have people forgotten that the government's majority this time was something of a surprise to a lot of people or something?

We're busy recalibration our definition of electoral success from 'forming a government' to 'not losing by more than 150 seats'.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What if after Brexit the UK joins in a international compact with the US!??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lightning Lord posted:

i loving hope not because it'll end up wtih us adopting their insanely bad standards for things. pizza is a vegetable well ok then :thumbsup:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

What are we calling it?

BRI-TIP?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Given that China has just announced it's going to be pushing a green energy and multi-country distribution platform for a "new world order", I'm not sure that's a dying empire I want to be hitched to.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Trident isn't useful though?

Apart from being a job creation scheme I guess.

Apart from singlehandedly making invasion of the UK impossible? It's the rest of the military that's pointless.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lightning Lord posted:

What if after the inevitable failed Trump impeachment the Queen launches Trident at Mar-a-Lago???

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Noxville posted:

Why only and exactly two, what is the reasoning behind that? Other than to be somewhere in between Nationalised and Privatised of course.
I was lazy and summarised carelessly. What they actually said is they'll specifically bring in the failed franchises of Southern Rail and Govia Thameslink under the control of a Gov-run company.

As a result of severe failings that rise to the level of breach of contract,
establish government-run companies to take over the running of Southern
Rail and Govia Thameslink, with a long-term plan to find more effective and
sustainable ways of managing these franchises involving greater powers for
local government.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from singlehandedly making invasion of the UK impossible? It's the rest of the military that's pointless.

The only country in the world that can even pull off an overseas invasion is the US, and in the case that they decide to conquer Old Blighty I don't think Trident is going to be very helpful.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Party Boat posted:

What if after the inevitable failed Trump impeachment the Queen launches Trident at Mar-a-Lago???

it’s florida so nothing of value was lost

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I hope we don't dynamite the chunnel when there is a near inevitable war with the continent at some time in my life.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tee hee hee

http://strongandstable.party/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait so the lib dems would increase taxes for literally everyone rather than targeting at all? Am I reading that right?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wait so the lib dems would increase taxes for literally everyone rather than targeting at all? Am I reading that right?
We are all sinners

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

They help out with floods now and again. We could have a service branch that does that and not breaking the Geneva Convention.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The only country in the world that can even pull off an overseas invasion is the US, and in the case that they decide to conquer Old Blighty I don't think Trident is going to be very helpful.
Yeah, being dependent on the US for the supply chain and navigation is pretty worrying for something that is supposed to only be used when normalcy is completely destroyed.

Jose posted:

pizza is a vegetable well ok then :thumbsup:
Or if you're in Chicago casserole is a pizza.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

I hope we don't dynamite the chunnel when there is a near inevitable war with the continent at some time in my life.

Send in the SAS boys

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Yep. Regressive taxes, the cornerstone of liberalism.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jose posted:

pizza is a vegetable well ok then :thumbsup:
Pretty sure pizza is a fruit

cos of the tomato sauce, you see

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

1% increase for anyone who earns enough to pay any income tax, currently £11,500 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Pretty sure pizza is a fruit

cos of the tomato sauce, you see
In the US tomatoes are legally a vegetable though.

• Locked thread