Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
ETC completely shits all over Alarak no matter how high his numbers are because every single of his ability except for Lightning is cancellable lmao. Pulled him in? Too bad, he's got Powerslide, Face Melt AND Encore.

e: good ETC, I should add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Kai Tave posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Shield Wall Varian is pretty much bullshit.

that's a hot take, pal

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, "Stun on Charge" was the only reason to ever not go "Parry makes you immune to all damage" because the best defense is making sure the other guy dies first, and being able to point-click stun an enemy made locking down squishy targets for a kill way too goddamn easy, especially after they buffed the poo poo out of Taunt to make it viable compared to his other level 10 options.

They just need to remove the parry invulnerability talent and replace it with a different parry talent. That's the only way the two choices will be equally viable.

Make Parry give you armour or block AAs in an AoE or something.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

whats tyreal like these days? I haven't seen him in a game yet

He badly needs a revamp that makes him do something notable outside of his two ults, his level 16 Holy Ground talent needs to be baked into El'druin's Might by default, and he needs his talent choices trimmed to 3 per tier. He's definitely the worst-feeling warrior in the game right now.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 17, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poultron posted:

that's a hot take, pal

Believe it or not but I haven't actually played against a ton of Varians in my time playing HotS, or maybe I've just played against lovely ones as befits my level. I'm willing to accept that more crowd control would probably have helped matters in the last game I played against one where I'm fairly sure he died maybe once, so I can't claim that it was entirely down to just the character itself being dumb.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D.Va owns. I think her best talent for tier 1 is the one that halves the cooldown on boosters whenever you're out of combat. It's indispensible for getting around the map and if you feel as if you're going to be dived you can hit it pre-emptively and it'll be back up again in 5 seconds. 4 is variable but I just take mech charge most of the time because the other ones aren't as useful. At level 7 I take the talent that makes D-Matrix slow enemies and this is great for hunting down heroes. They almost never get away. Bunny Hop at 10. 13 has some variety so against a Tracer/Lunara you'll want Ablative Armor and then Emergency Shields in normal circumstances. The 20% health one isn't bad either since at 16 I always get GG, WP which I think kind of defines her kit. 20 doesn't have any especially useful options but you can put out some scary damage with the Bunny Hop evolution. Anyway, in conclusion D.Va owns as usual.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Dual life bar hero with crazy mobility, hmm :effort:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
From what I've seen pubbing, D.Va in meka mode fills the same role as she does in Overwatch. Be a big obnoxious jumpjetty rear end in a top hat that's in the way, and then half the red team splits off to chase after you so the other half dies to the rest of your team.

Or I'm just playing with dumb pubbies.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a dva yesterday that was really putting the hurt on me with boosters to the point where i was scared of her.

But then again i was probius, and it doesn't take much to put the fear of god in a probius

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
She also gets loving DESTROYED by a good Artanis, which I'd imagine is a bit tragic for her because she just wanted a photo with him :(

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I'm still kind of salty that they literally crippled Lucio

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

Insert name here posted:

I bought the Dva heroic bundle for the Goliath skins

She does not shout "Goliath Online" when you call one in from pilot mode 0/10 would not buy again

I think she says it at the start of the game, though?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poultron posted:

I'm still kind of salty that they literally crippled Lucio

The Lucio nerf was loving bizarre, for sure. I'm confused why they didn't just nerf the amped healing value, or the scaling on his baseline heal, or any number of talents that make him better at healing, rather than cutting out 33% of his base healing. :confused:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Look at this team.

We're going to do passably unless the enemy team has any significant burst before level 16.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
New Alarak is real fun and feels way better than the old one. Sadism actually feels like a real part of his kit now instead of some kind of janky mechanic tacked on to lower your damage. Finishing your Q and W quests by hitting 3 people right as soon as you get them feels so good and lets you just absolutely bully everyone.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Lucio nerf was loving bizarre, for sure. I'm confused why they didn't just nerf the amped healing value, or the scaling on his baseline heal, or any number of talents that make him better at healing, rather than cutting out 33% of his base healing. :confused:

He definitely needed some downward adjustment, but nerfing the only reason he was ever picked up was probably a mistake

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lordfrikk posted:

Dual life bar hero with crazy mobility, hmm :effort:

Dual? Pffft.

Life bar 1: Engage with Meka at full charge. Soak damage, self-destruct
Life bar 2: Pilot auto attack in relative safety because they don't want to enter your SD radius. Take a bit of poke damage, call Meka
Life bar 3: Meka about for a bit, get ejected
Life bar 4: Pilot and hopefully gtfo

Life bar 3 and 4 shouldn't be planned for, but they're there if you need them.

Her problem is that she relies on allies for doing the actual DPS.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I was in a QM game with two goons and 2 pubbies last night where one goon and one pubbie were losing their minds at how "OP" DVa was. Am I missing something? I was actually playing her and she seemed super medicore.

Edit: like I'd literally rather play Chen for a tank

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I was in a QM game with two goons and 2 pubbies last night where one goon and one pubbie were losing their minds at how "OP" DVa was. Am I missing something? I was actually playing her and she seemed super medicore.

She is really frustrating to play against when she keeps boosting ahead and booping you back into the team/blocking off your escape. That's really about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think she's good but not super OP or anything. She more or less duplicates her role from Overwatch, a tanky disruptor who is really frustrating to kill and zones out isolated opponents. She's not a pure tank and shouldn't be played like one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The most fun thing in this game used to be running away as Sonya, waiting for your spear to come off cooldown, and using it to instantly reengage the dipshit chasing you when it does come off cooldown, followed by a seismic slam and whirlwind to finish the job as THEY run away.

Now the most fun thing in this game is boosting behind the enemy team to mini-stun them all and knock them back into your team as they desperately try to get away.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Some people always think the newest Hero is OP because its easier than admitting you're not using to playing against them yet.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
In OW her role is just to be a walking defense matrix and her zoning ability is about nil. Her kit is a lot better suited to Hots and i like it.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

disclaimer - I'm sort of new, and I'm a poo poo player. That being said, I think a lot of people just aren't used to the way d.va plays. I agree her damage isn't huge, and against certain heroes (butcher for example) she definitely gets rolled.

As far as the self destruct, I found an awesome way to use it was for siege damage. Heroes will run out of the range while it charges up, but the way I was using it was similar to how I used it on Overwatch - hitting boosters, then self destruct so it throws the mech back into the enemy area, and does a bunch of siege damage. Since the structures are stationary, well, they don't run out of the range. Then I hit call mech immediately and I'm back in.

I think team fights are definitely where she shines. It's disruptive to go in and push people around and then put defense matrix on them.

She gets pushed around early game, definitely, but once talents are in place late game she does a lot better. Using that bunny hop talent that says "increase damage output if stationary" was huge for siege damage. I was doing some ridiculous damage to the core in a match last night with that talent and it has the plus of people staying out of your way while you're trying to beat up the core.

(Again, just my take, I'm a loving casual or whatever) But I thought she was a lot of fun. I MVP'ed in my first QM with her.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poultron posted:

He definitely needed some downward adjustment, but nerfing the only reason he was ever picked up was probably a mistake

Agreed, they just went about nerfing him in the most bizarre way.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Self destruct does an absolutely terrifying amount of damage if you actually get caught in it, seems like it would be a sick combo with f.ex Void Prison or Leyline Seal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ETC and D.Va are made for each other if you can coordinate Mosh Pit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lol.

I think I was the Ragnaros in this game and we somehow won even though Falstad thought that you had to be in melee range to launch nukes.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Self destruct will kill nearly all the zerg on Braxis Holdout, even a full wave is not intimidating as long as it's up. I wouldn't be surprised if D.Va ends up being first pick unless banned on that map.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lemon-Lime posted:

Agreed, they just went about nerfing him in the most bizarre way.

Blizzard just wanted to adjust how often you see him/visibly cripple the character so people stop complaining. They'll rebalance him later. Or he might still be semi-viable in the two support meta as a tyrande or tassadar role of not really healing, but instead providing utility. In his case mobility during combat.
The same way d.va will get nerfed rather than adjusting how microstuns like her bump gently caress over so many characters or how much she shuts down poke teams. Even if she's just barely balanced or even undertuned, when played decently she feels bad to play against if the d.va player has half a brain.
For the same reasons as Lucio prenerf, and stealth characters who can dive/get a kill and escape. It's frustrating to perceive a misplay and not be able to punish your opponent for it, or not see your own misplay and wind up punished.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

She seems to do pretty well at holding points on Sky Temple as well. You can keep people off the objective for a long time staggering Self-Destruct + Bunny Hop and boosting around. Always seem to end up with top siege damage on that.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That Lucio nerf was too harsh imo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

and he needs his talent choices trimmed to 3 per tier.

loving why? I hate when Blizzard does this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poultron posted:

I mean if he was only picked for one reason that is kind of a separate problem.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving why? I hate when Blizzard does this.

Because blizzard is often bad at designing 5 meaningful and balanced choices per tier.
I do agree not every tier should be 'choose 1 of 3 modifiers to the same ability' and it's appropriate for there to sometimes be less or more. I also think that if they see everyone always choosing 1 talent at specific tiers they should look into whether something in the winning talent should be baseline and replace it with a choice. Or if maybe the losers were fun and should be baked in since the optimal choice so outweighs them.

Edit: but ALL real supports are only chosen for 1 reason 'they keep my team alive' anything else is gravy. I think it's hyperbole to say he's Morales without healing now, but as fragile and bad at soaking or soloing as he is Lucio without strong healing is in a weird place, he needs your team to be grouped up to do anything but if the other team groups in response and focuses anyone they win.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 17, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I tried a gunning pilot build for DVa last night for shits and giggles and it's actually kinda hilariously good.

You take the skill shot ult, then the pilot dash and the repel. Keep your mech in reserve and poke with her, then if poo poo gets bad you dash out or repel people into your team. Calling your mech is your escape, and in team fights if they all try to jump on you (they usually do) you call the mech and self destruct immediately to make them all scatter and put them totally out of position while your team picks them apart because they're too busy fleeing the suddenly unexpected self destruct.

Then you can poke and help out again or just call the mech to help clean up with the slowing shield. It's kind hilarious and awesome to literally watch their reaction unfold.

Of course you can't use it more than once a game, but it can be an amazing team fight shifter and then afterward they'll keep the gently caress away from you in pilot mode out of fear. Doubt it'd work in a real match, but holy poo poo it's funny in QM. :allears:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mosh Pit doesn't last quite long enough for Self-Destruct to reliably fire. Thrall's Earthquake, though. :unsmigghh:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wish the safety cooldown for Boosters wasn't one loving second when the whole thing lasts two seconds. I take Nitro a lot and frequently I just want to slam the accelerator and knock a bunch of people back then cancel immediately, but because the cooldown is one second I end up doing one or two spins before I can cancel out of the booster and resume shooting/matrixing.

Half a second is sufficient to stop the people with fat fingers from accidental cancels while giving you more control over the mech's boosters.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

exquisite tea posted:

D.Va owns. I think her best talent for tier 1 is the one that halves the cooldown on boosters whenever you're out of combat. It's indispensible for getting around the map and if you feel as if you're going to be dived you can hit it pre-emptively and it'll be back up again in 5 seconds. 4 is variable but I just take mech charge most of the time because the other ones aren't as useful. At level 7 I take the talent that makes D-Matrix slow enemies and this is great for hunting down heroes. They almost never get away. Bunny Hop at 10. 13 has some variety so against a Tracer/Lunara you'll want Ablative Armor and then Emergency Shields in normal circumstances. The 20% health one isn't bad either since at 16 I always get GG, WP which I think kind of defines her kit. 20 doesn't have any especially useful options but you can put out some scary damage with the Bunny Hop evolution. Anyway, in conclusion D.Va owns as usual.

That's how I build her.

I think the harassing potential of her 3 seconds to comply auto attack isn't fully appreciated. Just still to the mage or support like glue. Sure you'll never kill malf but those heals aren't being put on his team. Chromie can poke you real bad but if you get in range she's as good as dead.
Boosting through people set up really easy body blocks. Do warriors have different sizes? It feels like a few like dva are mechanically wider.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Since I haven't seen anyone do it in an actual match: like in Overwatch you can boost and hit self destruct to send the mech flying, and can even hit Q while it's flying to stop it.

I'm anxiously awaiting footage of a fleeing team getting wasted by a flying mech bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

No one does it, on purpose, because its way worse. Boost ulting is usually straight up in overwatch. And it isn't an instant kill in Los in hots. And it's a lot harder to tell where it's going to land with the hots boost imo