Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

For Prey I liked how a handful of the missions have rewards like none whatsoever except for the NPC's gratitude (and [double spoiler] the post-credits scene[/ds]). I'm so used to games like Deus Ex: HR where you could exactly predict the reward a quest would give you based on cost of materials/bribes the quest required :nallears:

This is a near-perfect post/avatar combo.

Edit: Crap, new page. Here's on old one I never realized until I broke my New Vegas habit of playing 9 int/ 9 Luck characters: Doc Mitchell has different quips depending on the stats you choose.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 07:32 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I bought Beyond Two Souls yesterday, a game made by Quantic Dream (responsible for Heavy Rain and the upcoming Detroit Become Human). If you're not aware, Beyond Two Souls is basically a game about a girl who has a ghost attached to her which affects her life in various ways - you are able to view the world from the perspective of the ghost at times. At one point I was walking down a street and saw a guy reading a newspaper, I was able to take a look at the inside pages using the ghost view. One of the articles was about the Origami Killer (from Heavy Rain) still being at large, which puts Beyond Two Souls in the same universe as Heavy Rain.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
David Cage references his past work in his games. Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy had an article mentioning his first game, Omikron.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

TheMostFrench posted:

I bought Beyond Two Souls yesterday, a game made by Quantic Dream (responsible for Heavy Rain and the upcoming Detroit Become Human). If you're not aware, Beyond Two Souls is basically a game about a girl who has a ghost attached to her which affects her life in various ways - you are able to view the world from the perspective of the ghost at times. At one point I was walking down a street and saw a guy reading a newspaper, I was able to take a look at the inside pages using the ghost view. One of the articles was about the Origami Killer (from Heavy Rain) still being at large, which puts Beyond Two Souls in the same universe as Heavy Rain.
Wait so does that mean (Heavy Rain spoilers) the Perfect Crime ending is canon, or does BTS take place during Heavy Rain?

edit: thinking back on it, (Heavy Rain spoilers again) the Perfect Crime outcome really felt ballsy as hell back when I first played the game, and it was an impressive shock when I first realized that was a possible outcome. HR had its flaws, but Perfect Crime will always stick with me. Are there any other games that allow for an outcome like that based on tiny choices throughout the game?

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 14:55 on May 15, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grey Fox posted:

Wait so does that mean (Heavy Rain spoilers) the Perfect Crime ending is canon, or does BTS take place during Heavy Rain?

edit: thinking back on it, (Heavy Rain spoilers again) the Perfect Crime outcome really felt ballsy as hell back when I first played the game, and it was an impressive shock when I first realized that was a possible outcome. HR had its flaws, but Perfect Crime will always stick with me. Are there any other games that allow for an outcome like that based on tiny choices throughout the game?

The only remotely comparable game is Until Dawn, which can end with the deaths of all, none, or many combinations of the characters.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
In Shadow Complex, you can leave as soon as you get back to the car. This technically counts as finishing the game. "Plenty of fish in the sea."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Trophy unlocked!

Status Update: Single.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Just gonna mention the obligatory alpha protocol and get it out of the way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Romancing Mina and then telling her in the end game you were just using her to achieve your goal was so loving cold, lol. Like goddamn Thorton.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Overwatch, Using the "Hello" voice command causes your character's left hand to come in from offscreen and give a wave in addition to their voice clip. The character Junkrat has a detonator which he holds in his left hand as long as his mine is deployed. Instead of simply not playing the wave animation while the mine is out, he has a unique animation in which he wiggles three of his fingers, holding the detonator quite loosely in the process. It's very him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ariong posted:

In Overwatch, Using the "Hello" voice command causes your character's left hand to come in from offscreen and give a wave in addition to their voice clip. The character Junkrat has a detonator which he holds in his left hand as long as his mine is deployed. Instead of simply not playing the wave animation while the mine is out, he has a unique animation in which he wiggles three of his fingers, holding the detonator quite loosely in the process. It's very him.

I like Bastion's when he's in his turret mode. He waves his little repair tool since he doesn't have hands.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

This whole video is cool but the stuff with rain is pretty goddamn cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiORPfvMx4&t=219s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was in the mood so I'm replaying Viking Battle for Asgard on the 360, a fun little Viking-em-up where you play a warrior who nearly died in a climactic battle for Midgard against the forces of Hel. Freya steps in and makes you her champion. Something I'd forgotten about is that the platforming in the game is actually not bad. The jump is on the Y button so you think it's an underutilised trash move with it's only use being in combat, but when actually platforming the Anemic jump that Skarin does with no contexts becomes a leap to wherever you are trying to jump to, as long as it's not too far away or too high up. He also automatically scrambles up small ledges and if you gently caress up on a narrow walkway, Skarin grabs the edge and you can just pull your self up, or shimmy around the ledge for sneak moves if needed (Skarin shimmy's really quickly). You'll only fall if you want to fall. It is expected to the a pain to do but it's actually kinda of fun.

Also the key scenes are narrated by Brian Blessed which is just fantastic :3:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
In Factorio there are trains. OK a game having trains isn't exactly new and unusual but the game actually has trains damage things if the train hits it going fast enough. This can be a hazard to the player; a fast moving train hurts a lot Of course that's also a danger to the biters.

The little thing is that the game tracks how many things your individual trains have killed. Every now and again I'll be messing around with a train's orders and I'll notice the mouse over window will say something like "Kills: 37." And I'm like "go you, train."

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BioEnchanted posted:

I was in the mood so I'm replaying Viking Battle for Asgard on the 360, a fun little Viking-em-up where you play a warrior who nearly died in a climactic battle for Midgard against the forces of Hel. Freya steps in and makes you her champion. Something I'd forgotten about is that the platforming in the game is actually not bad. The jump is on the Y button so you think it's an underutilised trash move with it's only use being in combat, but when actually platforming the Anemic jump that Skarin does with no contexts becomes a leap to wherever you are trying to jump to, as long as it's not too far away or too high up. He also automatically scrambles up small ledges and if you gently caress up on a narrow walkway, Skarin grabs the edge and you can just pull your self up, or shimmy around the ledge for sneak moves if needed (Skarin shimmy's really quickly). You'll only fall if you want to fall. It is expected to the a pain to do but it's actually kinda of fun.

This game also had achievement points that that ended in odd denominators, so my entire xbox360 life had the last digit ending in a 3 or an 8. Horrible.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

This game also had achievement points that that ended in odd denominators, so my entire xbox360 life had the last digit ending in a 3 or an 8. Horrible.

That's pretty rad, just thinking about the thousands of turbonerds gettin' real mad about it brings a smile to my face. Thank you friend

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rock Band 3 had achievements worth 4 and 6 points, and they were for calibrating your A/V and connecting to rockband.com respectively. It's a pretty smart way to get people to do both, since they're bound to do at least one (most likely calibration).

Now I want to see a game give out 7 points for something like booting up the game and 3 for something ludicrously difficult.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now I want to see a game give out 7 points for something like booting up the game and 3 for something ludicrously difficult.

Double Dragon Neon specifically gave you 1 point for starting the game as a "curse" ("Nyah ha ha! Now finish what you have started!") and 9 points for beating the last boss.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahahah I forgot about Viking* triggering me so loving hard when I first played it. I got about half way into it, DETERMINED to get a full thousand to round out my achievement score then kinda realised I didn't actually care and jibbed it.

I remember loving the combat in Viking but HATING the forced stealth sections. Is it backwards compatible for the Xbone? I kinda wish I'd have seen it through now.

*Maybe? I know it was either that or the Crash Bandicoot game that had weird achievement numbers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In Factorio there are trains. OK a game having trains isn't exactly new and unusual but the game actually has trains damage things if the train hits it going fast enough. This can be a hazard to the player; a fast moving train hurts a lot Of course that's also a danger to the biters.

The little thing is that the game tracks how many things your individual trains have killed. Every now and again I'll be messing around with a train's orders and I'll notice the mouse over window will say something like "Kills: 37." And I'm like "go you, train."

You haven't played the game until your new train ran you over. Because at the point in the game where you should be automating trains you shouldn't have enough armor to not die instantly.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In Factorio you can now load trains with rocket fuel and they will roar around at nearly 300 kph, and it's almost too bad the game doesn't have ragdoll physics because I think it would be like when you get killed by a giant in Skyrim. You'd just get catapulted into another zip code.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

In Factorio you can now load trains with rocket fuel and they will roar around at nearly 300 kph, and it's almost too bad the game doesn't have ragdoll physics because I think it would be like when you get killed by a giant in Skyrim. You'd just get catapulted into another zip code.

Parts of you would.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BioEnchanted posted:

You miscapitalised BRIAN BLESSED.

He also has a voice role in the upcoming historical RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdx0o8mrAY

"I've done several playstations" :allears:

I feel like "little things in games" is categorigally the wrong thread to talk about BRIAN BLESSED because he's loving immense in just about every conceivable aspect, but I'm just glad he's found his way into video game voice acting. Would be nice to hear him in more games, though.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Nordick posted:

BRIAN BLESSED because he's loving immense in just about every conceivable aspect

What are you talking about the man is a paragon of softly spoken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nordick posted:

You miscapitalised BRIAN BLESSED.

He also has a voice role in the upcoming historical RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdx0o8mrAY

I feel like "little things in games" is categorigally the wrong thread to talk about BRIAN BLESSED because he's loving immense in just about every conceivable aspect, but I'm just glad he's found his way into video game voice acting. Would be nice to hear him in more games, though.

Good lord, I was not prepared for Brian Blessed singing opera :stare::fh:.

Seriously, at the very least watch from 1:31 if you do nothing else.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 15:26 on May 17, 2017

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Brian Blessed wrote an autobiography. There's also an audiobook version... Which he narrated himself.

You know what to do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, at the very least watch from 1:31 if you do nothing else.

He's so loud that the audio keeps clipping :allears:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a game control software called VoiceAttack - Uses voice recognition to trigger macros and keyboard commands. A company called HCS Voicepacks makes specialized response and command packs for Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

One of them is voiced by Brian Blessed. https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/products/vasco

I've got that pack, and it's about as magical as you'd think.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good lord, I was not prepared for Brian Blessed singing opera :stare::fh:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZW3RWBKOuw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nordick posted:

God he's just the best.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__VFxOI99E

His Have I Got News For You hosting spot was...something wonderful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a line in Kingdom Hearts 2 that always makes me laugh a little, where the hooded figure working with Ansem in the intro questions his reasons for not allowing Roxas to leave town and go to another location in the simulation. The line: "Is it that hard to make a beach?"

First of all idiot, YES! In this simulation, it would be a right pain, it's already chugging rendering pure concrete brick and other relatively static textures, glitches are cropping up already. In a beach, all of a sudden you have to render an enormous amount of water, and also realistic sand, both really computationally expensive particle effects. On top of that there are interactions with each other, and other scenic elements like wind. That many clashing effects in a simulation that's already having trouble keeping up? Yeah, nothings going to break the illusion like Roxas stepping off the train and finding he;s moving at a blazing 3 FPS before the computer just bluescreens and straight up kicks him out of the sim entirely.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not only that, in multiplayer each train will kill a kill tally of players, including their names and kill counts, on their info pane :allears:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a line in Kingdom Hearts 2 that always makes me laugh a little, where the hooded figure working with Ansem in the intro questions his reasons for not allowing Roxas to leave town and go to another location in the simulation. The line: "Is it that hard to make a beach?"

First of all idiot, YES! In this simulation, it would be a right pain, it's already chugging rendering pure concrete brick and other relatively static textures, glitches are cropping up already. In a beach, all of a sudden you have to render an enormous amount of water, and also realistic sand, both really computationally expensive particle effects. On top of that there are interactions with each other, and other scenic elements like wind. That many clashing effects in a simulation that's already having trouble keeping up? Yeah, nothings going to break the illusion like Roxas stepping off the train and finding he;s moving at a blazing 3 FPS before the computer just bluescreens and straight up kicks him out of the sim entirely.

I'm glad you're back to playing games which are over a decade old

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

actually I'm watching Fae's streams :shobon:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

lol if you don't regularly play games that are over a decade old

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's BioEnchanted's thing. See his custom title.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Roxas would also be lagging along with the simulation so really it doesn't matter how slowly each frame happens, from his point of view it's going to be happening in real-time. If the real world started moving at 3 FPS you wouldn't notice, because your perception and thinking speed would also be slowed the same amount.

:goonsay:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

codenameFANGIO posted:

I still have Aliens vs Predator and Deus Ex on my machine and they will never leave :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slime posted:

Roxas would also be lagging along with the simulation so really it doesn't matter how slowly each frame happens, from his point of view it's going to be happening in real-time. If the real world started moving at 3 FPS you wouldn't notice, because your perception and thinking speed would also be slowed the same amount.

:goonsay:

Don't you dare go a relativety derail.