Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hakkesshu posted:

It was a good episode but I can't stand it when they do scenes that tell you nothing outside of "HEY REMEMBER LYDIA AND GUS' OLD PLACE???"

Like I think this show is straight up better than Breaking Bad so it's just sad to see those scenes, especially following last week's episode which was phenomenal and had basically none of that stuff outside of Huell, but that wasn't treated like anything special.

I at least thought that if they were going to introduce Lydia it would be to explain how her and a Germany business got involved with Gus but it turns out they already are. Which is fine, but kind of skips over some interesting prequel fodder if they insist on including it.

Basically, for how great he is, this show would be miles better without Mike and the Breaking Bad guest hour he's inclusion has lead to. Jimmy is easily the most compelling character in the Breaking Bad universe for me, so whenever we halt his story to focus on the drug trade its dumb as gently caress. Especially because, taken as a stand alone show, it really makes no sense to be doing so. If you had no idea this show was related to Breaking Bad then whats the thematic and emotional point of spending time with Gus etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's not a wink at the BB audience if you haven't seen it and don't know that it should be. Unless they never show Lydia or expand on the laundry ever again, that's just normal TV. Ooh I wonder what he's buying, oooh who is she, find out next week!

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I dunno... the lingering pullout shot of the Los Pollos Hermanos sign and the very deliberate camera position to reveal Lydia are clearly nods to the audience.

In fact, if you'd never seen (or finished, given how late Lydia made an appearance) Breaking Bad you'd surely wonder who the hell this brunette woman who just appears and is gone again in the blink of an eye is. The resonance is external to the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, as much as I love Huell, there was a bit of a lingering shot of him, very 'winky to the camera', right after he bumped into Chuck. Almost like they could have freeze-framed, zoomed in, and put some sort of coloured text on the screen. Except I don't think they would have needed to freeze-frame, since it was that long of a shot.

I didn't mind it, but it happened.

I am totally fine with this prequel/spin-off to arguably one of the best shows ever made to have references (that make sense) to that show. How did all of this stuff get put in place? Here's how.

Saul becomes a major criminal lawyer. Of course, we're going to see details of one of the biggest criminals in the city. I have faith that it'll all tie in together. And yet, even if it doesn't, I'm still totally fine with seeing more Gus related stuff, because Gus-related = Mike-related = Saul-related.

I do love the hell out of the Chuck side of things, though. (EDIT: And Nacho, can't forget Nacho. Really looking forward to more details on him. Why isn't he around in BB? Maybe Gus took him out? He's with the Salamancas, of course.)

I just love this show and want to see at least 2 more seasons.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That shot with Huell was communicating was that he wasn't just some random guy that Chuck bumped into, but likely the man that Jimmy had hired at the episode's beginning and foreshadowed the scam that made up that episode's climax.

It is also "Here's some Breaking Bad fanservice" if you recognize the actor, but the shot and Huell's inclusion served a purpose naturally in the story beyond just being that.

EDIT: To put it another way, if the character they had used HADN'T been Huell, the formal choices still would have made sense in that scene with Chuck in the hallway.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 17, 2017

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Raxivace posted:

That shot with Huell was communicating was that he wasn't just some random guy that Chuck bumped into, but likely the man that Jimmy had hired at the episode's beginning and foreshadowed the scam that made up that episode's climax.
Cmon man.. do you think they would show the audience someone bumping into Chuck if it didn't have some greater significance than was immediately obvious? I know the show takes it time with things, but it doesn't show stuff that is actually completely irrelevant.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Durzel posted:

Cmon man.. do you think they would show the audience someone bumping into Chuck if it didn't have some greater significance than was immediately obvious? I know the show takes it time with things, but it doesn't show stuff that is actually completely irrelevant.
I think they wanted it to be very clear, even to people that didn't watch Breaking Bad or just don't remember who Huell is, that this wasn't some irrelevant encounter.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I think they wanted it to be very clear, even to people that didn't watch Breaking Bad or just don't remember who Huell is, that this wasn't some irrelevant encounter.
Yeah.. just realised I misread your original post. :( You were right in the first place.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

S'all good, man.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

Lydia is the goat BB character

This is from several pages ago but have you ever seen her do any interviews? She's neurotic, annoying, crazy, and I would want to stuff her in a locker when she's Lydia. But Laura Fraser is bae :3:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hasn't this show always been billed as a Breaking Bad prequel from the start, not the Saul Goodman Power Hour?

That said I do prefer the Jimmy stuff. But I'm not going to complain unless Hank/Walt/Jesse/etc start showing up. We know everyone we've so far has been connected, if not directly than through mutual contacts, for a while before BB started. It's pretty reasonable to expect it took Gus six years to go from abandoned facility to legit laundry service to meth superlab underground.

The lingering shot of Huell works fine, if you haven't seen Huell before it makes him stick in your mind for when Jimmy calls him in. You're just thinking "who's this guy, what's his game?" and not "Huell! What's Jimmy's game here?"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TBeats posted:

This is from several pages ago but have you ever seen her do any interviews? She's neurotic, annoying, crazy, and I would want to stuff her in a locker when she's Lydia. But Laura Fraser is bae :3:

The opposite. Laura Fraser is the one with the British accent. (or Scottish, whatever) I don't know why she doesn't force herself to talk like Lydia all the time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

some guy on the bus posted:

The opposite. Laura Fraser is the one with the British accent. (or Scottish, whatever) I don't know why she doesn't force herself to talk like Lydia all the time.

Ummmmm her Scottish accent rules but thank you for your horrible opinion :colbert:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

precision posted:

uhhh how has nobody posted this yet???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiSvpZfHL4

Man I really want some Tex-Mex style fried chicken/curly fries. I don't even know what Pollos Hermanos would taste like but I want them.

Which brings us back to the Fatty Fat Fat diet video :smith:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, as much as I love Huell, there was a bit of a lingering shot of him, very 'winky to the camera', right after he bumped into Chuck. Almost like they could have freeze-framed, zoomed in, and put some sort of coloured text on the screen. Except I don't think they would have needed to freeze-frame, since it was that long of a shot.

I didn't mind it, but it happened.

I still don't think it's egregious because there was the setup for that Saul needed a guy who was good with sleight of hand, and we knew from the vet's response that it'd be a big guy.

Given that, had BB never existed I think they still would've lingered on him so we wonder "oh is that the guy who was going to steal/do something to Chuck?" The way he looked back, it was obvious that he intentionally ran into Chuck. Had he not looked back (the source of the lingering shot), it would just be a random deus ex machina when he showed up in court.

edit: beaten.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't see an issue with it. This show is very clearly meant to be watched after Breaking Bad. These Breaking Bad characters are presented in a way to make it exciting to see them from the other show but also presented in a way that makes sense. If Lydia never shows up in BCS again, that would be kind of lame though. Apparently she flew out from Scotland just to shoot that one scene.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gus is going to tell Mike that they are in legal trouble and Mike will turn and grab the camera and point it at his mouth and slowly say "I know a guy" with heavy reverb and compression effects

When the feedback dies he will then whisper into his hand, and then hurl the message out a window as only Mike can do, with his voice

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Fat Tyrus was my favorite part of this episode. He still tried to use the same menacing stare he had in Breaking Bad, but he's so chubby he couldn't even put his arms down by his sides which kind of ruins the effect. Must have been all that time hanging out at Pollos Hermanos.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope she never does show up again and the Gus thing was so loving cheap!

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hasn't this show always been billed as a Breaking Bad prequel from the start, not the Saul Goodman Power Hour?

That said I do prefer the Jimmy stuff. But I'm not going to complain unless Hank/Walt/Jesse/etc start showing up. We know everyone we've so far has been connected, if not directly than through mutual contacts, for a while before BB started. It's pretty reasonable to expect it took Gus six years to go from abandoned facility to legit laundry service to meth superlab underground.

The lingering shot of Huell works fine, if you haven't seen Huell before it makes him stick in your mind for when Jimmy calls him in. You're just thinking "who's this guy, what's his game?" and not "Huell! What's Jimmy's game here?"

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I think that shot is heavy handed, on the level of a silent-movie villain twirling his mustache. I don't believe a guy who has just done what Huell has just done is going to stop and look back and smirk and relish his accomplishment. He's going to keep moving straight ahead and make his getaway. Haul rear end out of there. If the director wants us to give us a better shot of his face than what we see up to the "bump-into moment," shoot the whole drat scene differently. Yeah, I know that's easy for me to say here and now, but I think it would have been doable.

Now, maybe there'd be an impulse to look back and make sure the mark isn't checking his pocket, so you know you're successful, but I don't think he'd do that. If the mark looks back at you, it only looks more suspicious if he catches you looking back at him. So just maintain discipline (Huell's an accomplished pro) and keep going.

As for making sure the audience understands something significant has just happened, the action itself gives us that. Bumping into a guy that way is a trope everyone will recognize. In real life, it's more likely than not a meaningless accident, but on TV, it's not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I think that shot is heavy handed, on the level of a silent-movie villain twirling his mustache. I don't believe a guy who has just done what Huell has just done is going to stop and look back and smirk and relish his accomplishment. He's going to keep moving straight ahead and make his getaway. Haul rear end out of there. If the director wants us to give us a better shot of his face than what we see up to the "bump-into moment," shoot the whole drat scene differently. Yeah, I know that's easy for me to say here and now, but I think it would have been doable.

Now, maybe there'd be an impulse to look back and make sure the mark isn't checking his pocket, so you know you're successful, but I don't think he'd do that. If the mark looks back at you, it only looks more suspicious if he catches you looking back at him. So just maintain discipline (Huell's an accomplished pro) and keep going.

As for making sure the audience understands something significant has just happened, the action itself gives us that. Bumping into a guy that way is a trope everyone will recognize. In real life, it's more likely than not a meaningless accident, but on TV, it's not.

As opposed to all of the other realistic criminal mastermind, totally-not-purely-made-for-tv actions that happen in these shows.

It's a fair point but it's not consistent to call out that once instance, imo, and I really doubt the average viewer would see it as anything more than a sign of Chuck being nervous and bumbling into a guy.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As opposed to all of the other realistic criminal mastermind, totally-not-purely-made-for-tv actions that happen in these shows.

Touche! But this is the one currently under discussion, and it did take me out of the moment for that one brief moment. It's a decidedly minor point, though. Overall, I find very little to criticize with the way Vince and his buddies are doing things.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I do love the hell out of the Chuck side of things, though. (EDIT: And Nacho, can't forget Nacho. Really looking forward to more details on him. Why isn't he around in BB? Maybe Gus took him out? He's with the Salamancas, of course.)

I think Nacho will eventually join up with Gus and betray Hector. He's seen how Gus treats his underlings, and just this episode Hector ordered Nacho to put his father in danger and didn't care that he caused a gun to be put to Nacho's head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Konstantin posted:

I think Nacho will eventually join up with Gus and betray Hector. He's seen how Gus treats his underlings, and just this episode Hector ordered Nacho to put his father in danger and didn't care that he caused a gun to be put to Nacho's head.

Hope so, Hector's a loving bastard.

I really wonder what Saul will do to get in trouble with him, though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Justin Credible posted:

Whiskey never tastes great.

bruh.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Going by the podcast, seasons 1&2 were intended to clearly establish the show's own voice, new characters and differentiate it from Breaking Bad. By the sounds of it they feel they succeeded and are now happen to, with the 3rd season, tie things in with Breaking Bad more and more. I think we'll see a lot more of the BB cast stories as Jimmy's story gets darker.

As much as I'd love them to spend time with the lighter elements of seasons 1&2, the overall show is ultimately a kind of tragedy and it makes sense that they set up all the dominoes that eventually fall on Saul(+Mike).

They are so great at creating compelling characters though, I hope in future we'll see other completely new shows with Vince & Peter heading.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Durzel posted:

I dunno... the lingering pullout shot of the Los Pollos Hermanos sign and the very deliberate camera position to reveal Lydia are clearly nods to the audience.

In fact, if you'd never seen (or finished, given how late Lydia made an appearance) Breaking Bad you'd surely wonder who the hell this brunette woman who just appears and is gone again in the blink of an eye is. The resonance is external to the show.

this is angel, not frasier. it's assumed to fully enjoy you have seen bb :colbert:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

Going by the podcast, seasons 1&2 were intended to clearly establish the show's own voice, new characters and differentiate it from Breaking Bad. By the sounds of it they feel they succeeded and are now happen to, with the 3rd season, tie things in with Breaking Bad more and more. I think we'll see a lot more of the BB cast stories as Jimmy's story gets darker.

As much as I'd love them to spend time with the lighter elements of seasons 1&2, the overall show is ultimately a kind of tragedy and it makes sense that they set up all the dominoes that eventually fall on Saul(+Mike).

Does anyone else think this was also a decision to boost ratings and interest in the show? From what I understand, the ratings saw a steep decline a few episodes into the first season, and after a good but meddling second season it's no surprise they would want to pick up the pace and bring Breaking Bad fans back in.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

meddling second season

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha wait. poo poo. What word am I looking for?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Middling?

I disagree though, season 2 was great

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Does anyone else think this was also a decision to boost ratings and interest in the show? From what I understand, the ratings saw a steep decline a few episodes into the first season, and after a good but meddling second season it's no surprise they would want to pick up the pace and bring Breaking Bad fans back in.

WE MADE THIS SHOW AND WE CAN TAKE IT DOWN

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So was the doctor Chuck called the ER doctor from S1 and 2?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

I don't pretend to know what they're thinking, but I would prefer to believe that their pacing is simply storytelling technique. You have to have peaks and valleys, so to speak. And even though I'm fine with letting Mike play with batteries and stake out a chicken joint--my personal opinion is that they didn't overdo it--I'm not going to pretend those sequences aren't among the slower and more methodical things I've seen in a show I like. I surely wouldn't want a series that consists wholly of that kind of thing. Balance it out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poo poo, this really is the season of batteries, isn't it?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

notthegoatseguy posted:

So was the doctor Chuck called the ER doctor from S1 and 2?
Yes.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Jeroen posted:

Someone edited last week's courtroom scene with the Phoenix Wright soundtrack and it's wonderful (yeeeeees)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

This owns

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm upset there aren't episodes this season named "assault" and "battery."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Durzel posted:

Hard to believe this is the same show that spent a full 86 seconds showing us an elderly lady coming down a stairlift.

The pacing recently is just nuts, especially compared to a big chunk of the last season, and it's turned into a who's who of Breaking Bad alumni, almost to the point where it's taking me out of the show slightly. I'm expecting to see Gus next week, then Hank shortly after, and maybe retcon Jesse into a bigger role in Krazy 8's operation.

Ok that's a bit harsh... It's still a very high quality show in its own right. I just hope they don't get tempted to "six degrees of separation" all of the characters into the chronology of BB and let the shoe stand on its own.

I was thinking the other day that all of these "callbacks" would work actually better as foreshadowing, so if someone were to watch Saul -> BB it would be really entertaining.

Vintersorg posted:

I hope she never does show up again and the Gus thing was so loving cheap!

I personally want to know what Lydia did to piss Mike off so loving bad by the time of BB. He had an immediate on-sight hatred of her and she was only spared a bullet because of his soft spots.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I personally want to know what Lydia did to piss Mike off so loving bad by the time of BB. He had an immediate on-sight hatred of her and she was only spared a bullet because of his soft spots.

He was OK with her until she tried to have him killed.

• Locked thread