Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Wow this month's flying by and I still have tons to get to.

I'm carefully planning the end of the month because May 31st is my birthday and I want to watch From Beyond that day.

Any lesser known Lovecraftian horror I might be able to throw in there to make it a themed marathon? I've seen all the obvious stuff like Gordon's, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Necronomicon etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm carefully planning the end of the month because May 31st is my birthday and I want to watch From Beyond that day.

Any lesser known Lovecraftian horror I might be able to throw in there to make it a themed marathon? I've seen all the obvious stuff like Gordon's, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Necronomicon etc.

There's also the 1965 Monster of Terror aka Die Monster Die based on Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space and the 1970 Dunwich Horror, both directed by Daniel Haller. I haven't seen either of those though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dunwich Horror's been on my radar before yea, probably a good time to check it out. It's available to rent on Amazon.

Gordon also did Dreams in the Witch House for Masters of Horror, that's an option.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Dunwich Horror's been on my radar before yea, probably a good time to check it out. It's available to rent on Amazon.

Gordon also did Dreams in the Witch House for Masters of Horror, that's an option.

I like Dreams In The Witch House, it's mean as hell. Did you see his other episode The Black Cat? Jeffrey Combs playing Poe in what's halfway an awesome adaptation of the story and the ither half an awesome mini-bio of Poe. Also, Carpenter's Cigarette Burns if you haven't seen that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haven't tracked down the Black Cat episode of MoH just because at this point I've seen like 3 different adaptations of that same story, just watched Fulci's a few months ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly can't imagine it being similar to other adaptations since it's heavily about Poe's personal demons and him writing The Black Cat more than it is about The Black Cat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I honestly can't imagine it being similar to other adaptations since it's heavily about Poe's personal demons and him writing The Black Cat more than it is about The Black Cat.

It actually sounds like a loose adaptation of that Poe stage play that Gordon and Combs do.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe! I haven't had a chance to see it, and so haven't read about it so I don't feel bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe! I haven't had a chance to see it, and so haven't read about it so I don't feel bad.

I saw a few clips of the show on youtube and it seems to be primarily Combs in full Poe makeup telling stories about his work while getting more and more wasted as the show goes on, until by the end Poe is just completely slurring every word and his shirt is half hanging out of his pants. I imagine the full experience is pretty hilarious.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I saw a few clips of the show on youtube and it seems to be primarily Combs in full Poe makeup telling stories about his work while getting more and more wasted as the show goes on, until by the end Poe is just completely slurring every word and his shirt is half hanging out of his pants. I imagine the full experience is pretty hilarious.

drat, now I'm sad.

I wish it were easier to see plays like that, that have incredibly limited runs/availability. I got to watch Evil Dead The Musical because the cast filmed an entire performance and I found it online, back when it was planning to only be limited. Then the popularity let it run on for another year or two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

drat, now I'm sad.

I wish it were easier to see plays like that, that have incredibly limited runs/availability. I got to watch Evil Dead The Musical because the cast filmed an entire performance and I found it online, back when it was planning to only be limited. Then the popularity let it run on for another year or two.

Hollismason posted an interesting Q&A with Combs in the horror thread recently where he talks about how difficult it is to get the Poe show(I think its called Nevermore) out on tour. It's a poo poo ton of work to arrange all of it and it sounds like he and his agent basically have to do it all because the show isn't really a moneymaker or anything. Theatres aren't exactly lining up to book them, and Combs lives full time in L.A. so his focus is more on just doing the show there in the theatre where he did it initially.

That was from a Q&A from like 8 years ago too, I think since then the theatre they were using in L.A. closed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hollismason posted an interesting Q&A with Combs in the horror thread recently where he talks about how difficult it is to get the Poe show(I think its called Nevermore) out on tour. It's a poo poo ton of work to arrange all of it and it sounds like he and his agent basically have to do it all because the show isn't really a moneymaker or anything. Theatres aren't exactly lining up to book them, and Combs lives full time in L.A. so his focus is more on just doing the show there in the theatre where he did it initially.

That was from a Q&A from like 8 years ago too, I think since then the theatre they were using in L.A. closed.

Even more of a reason to film a set and put it out there. I know the magic of the theater is just that, but I'd be incredibly happy with a single camera that just has the stage in frame and films the performance. No need for editing, just make sure the sound is good, and that's it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's a few posters in the horror thread to be jealous of as they have seen it and said it was really good.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

... Any lesser known Lovecraftian horror I might be able to throw in there to make it a themed marathon?...

How about Dagon? I didn't know what to expect going in and really enjoyed it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I've seen Dagon, definitely underrated. That's exactly rhe kind of recommendation I'm looking for though.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'm like 90% sure you've already seen Messiah of Evil but if not definitely watch it. It's a little bit of a stretch but you might also give The Corridor (2010) or Yellowbrickroad a shot.

Oh, and The Resurrected (1991)! That's one I hadn't heard of until I watched it for last October's challenge and it's probably my favorite non-Gordon straight adaptation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I recommend Cthulhu from a few years ago. Very interesting and good film. Interesting for a queer perspective on Lovecraft horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm like 90% sure you've already seen Messiah of Evil but if not definitely watch it. It's a little bit of a stretch but you might also give The Corridor (2010) or Yellowbrickroad a shot.

Oh, and The Resurrected (1991)! That's one I hadn't heard of until I watched it for last October's challenge and it's probably my favorite non-Gordon straight adaptation.

You're right, I've seen Messiah of Evil, but not The Resurrected, and yea that looks absolutely perfect. Available on youtube too, and directed by loving Dan O'Bannon. So uhhhh, how have I not heard of this before?

I can't seem to find any info on Cthulhu though, at least not on Amazon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You're right, I've seen Messiah of Evil, but not The Resurrected, and yea that looks absolutely perfect. Available on youtube too, and directed by loving Dan O'Bannon. So uhhhh, how have I not heard of this before?

I can't seem to find any info on Cthulhu though, at least not on Amazon.

Strange I thought it was on Amazon. Its worth tracking down.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

4. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Haven't seen this one since it came out, still a pretty solid horror comedy romp. I appreciate the callbacks to Spaced, like Pegg saying "thanks babe" to his man Nick Frost. Would be even better if Edgar made a full "Don't!" movie, that trailer was hilarious. Astron 6's The Editor is pretty great for that kind of thing too though.

Dennis Hopper's "zombies man... they creep me out" in Land of the Dead is even funnier though, there's another movie I haven't seen again since it came out. I have the blu-ray though, it was kind of charming... why didn't Diamond Dead get made? Sounded amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I swear I watched The Fog as my 12th movie, been too busy to do a decent write-up. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

I'm going to easily pass 13 movies, but I want to make the 13th special, (but not a Friday the 13th, unless I can magically find Jason X in time).

So far I've watched

1. a slasher
2 cannibals
3 werewolf
4. giallo
5. anthology
6. creature feature
7. lesbian vampire
8. Lovecraftian
9. slasher
10. existential horror / surgical/body horror / cannibal / whatever else you want to include for Eyes of My Mother
11. melting body horror / homeless horror
12. ghost/slasher

Any ideas are welcome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe something that would be considered gothic horror? One of the classic Universal films or maybe something from Hammer?

I'm just trying to figure out a new category of horror that you haven't covered yet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man I'm getting behind. Been super busy this week. I'm catching Alien Covenant tonight so that'll probably be my #13.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man I'm getting behind. Been super busy this week. I'm catching Alien Covenant tonight so that'll probably be my #13.

Wtf, Covenant comes out today? I assumed you were talking about a midnight showing but my theatre has one at 7 and 10pm. I think I'm gonna see it too, so far I've managed to stay completely unspoiled, which is basically the complete opposite of what happened with Prometheus. Very hyped.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Wtf, Covenant comes out today? I assumed you were talking about a midnight showing but my theatre has one at 7 and 10pm. I think I'm gonna see it too, so far I've managed to stay completely unspoiled, which is basically the complete opposite of what happened with Prometheus. Very hyped.

Well it officially comes out tomorrow, with "midnight" showings tonight. It's just that theaters have begun changing their definition of midnight to mean 7pm.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Also yeah, I've kept myself unspoiled as well. I've seen the trailer but have avoided anything else. And from the looks of all the black bars in the Alien thread, there are a LOT of spoilers out there. I'm pretty excited for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well it officially comes out tomorrow, with "midnight" showings tonight. It's just that theaters have begun changing their definition of midnight to mean 7pm.

I had idea, last midnight showing I went to was back in the old days when midnight showings were actually midnight(like 5 years ago).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hell, some theaters now show the Friday releases on Wednesday.

Is Promethius considered horror? I haven't watched an alien or zombie movie for the callenge yet

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Hell, some theaters now show the Friday releases on Wednesday.

Is Promethius considered horror? I haven't watched an alien or zombie movie for the callenge yet

I'd say so, its certainly Lovecraftian. Probably the closest thing to At the Mountains of Madness we'll ever get.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guess I'll probably go see Alien Covenant as well for my 13th movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok, so the reason I haven't been posting my movies is because I spent all month player Witcher 3 instead of watching movies. But I'm finally done with that 700 hour game so here I go:

1 - Psycho II

Man, this is a weird movie. A sequel to one of the most famous thrillers of all time released 25 years later? The hook is pretty strong, as it follows Norman Bates as he's released from the mental institution, apparently cured. Pretty soon weird poo poo starts happening and he worries if he's losing his mind. But is he, or is someone messing with him?

This movie's almost 2 hours long and not nearly enough happens in it to justify that running time. And I don't know if it was a deliberate choice by the director or just him being behind the times (he hasn't exactly got a stellar resume) but everyone's performance in the film feels very 1950s, which, combined with the film using a score similar to the original, gets a bit surreal when typical 80s sleaze like gratuitous boobs, doobies and comical cheap gore pops up every now and then. Anthony Perkins is great as the lead, obviously, and you really root for him to not go nuts again, especially when it becomes obvious someone is indeed messing with him.

Ultimately, despite a mostly solid script, the movie's more interesting than good, mostly due to slow and boring editing and a really dull cinematography, the latter problem being especially glaring in a direct sequel to loving Psycho. Still, I'm glad I watched it, and am interested to see part 3.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe something that would be considered gothic horror? One of the classic Universal films or maybe something from Hammer?

I'm just trying to figure out a new category of horror that you haven't covered yet.

Thread reminder: Ken Russel directed a movie about Byron and the Shelleys doing drugs, loving, and trying to out-spook each other. It's even called Gothic.

I'm not gonna tell you it totally lives up to that premise, but you owe it to yourselves to watch it anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Irony.or.Death posted:

Thread reminder: Ken Russel directed a movie about Byron and the Shelleys doing drugs, loving, and trying to out-spook each other. It's even called Gothic.

I'm not gonna tell you it totally lives up to that premise, but you owe it to yourselves to watch it anyway.

That entire movie exists only for the closing shot and I'm kind of ok with that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
20. Dracula's Daughter

A direct sequel to Dracula, the only returning cast member is Edward Van Sloan as Von Helsing. Why they had to all of the sudden change his name from Van to Von Helsing is anyone's guess, probably a rights issue.

Gloria Holden actually ends up filling the shoes of Lugosi quite nicely as Dracula's daughter. She has the aristocratic attitude and manner of speech down perfectly, and the way she's lit always makes her seem ghoulish and unsettling, yet still beautiful. The story isn't as reliably entertaining as the typical Dracula story(they're usually structured fairly closely to Stoker's original), but as with all the horror films Universal produced, its has a brisk pace and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Visually these sequels have all been very nice looking in my opinion, I'm not noticing a major step down in that department from the original. Lots of really nice dynamic lighting and shadow that take make almost every shot interesting to look at in some way. Does anyone know what the overall consensus is on this film versus Son of Dracula? From what I've read the critics were pretty divided on Dracula's Daughter, and I don't know if fans today appreciate it or not. I definitely enjoyed it though as a solid sequel that doesn't overly depend on good will for the original.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:siren: :toxx: averted :siren:

13. Alien: Covenant - Ridley Scott, 2017

I walked away from this with an overall feeling of satisfaction, but the more I ponder it the more its flaws become apparent. But first the good stuff. It does all the things it needs to do as both a Prometheus sequel and an Alien prequel. It successfully extends Prometheus into the echelon of "typical" Alien films, while itself working satisfyingly as such a film. The acting is top notch all around. Fassbender, who's really the heart and soul of these movies, is the obvious highlight, but the rest of the cast is solid all around. I'm a sucker for religious metaphors and this film's rife with them. The themes of creation, the death of god, "serve in heaven or reign in hell", etc. did it for me.

And now the bad stuff. In the original Alien the alien itself is a mostly hidden, mysterious nightmare. It's shown mainly in fleeting glimpses and quick bursts of violence. It's what makes that movie so horrifying and intense. But with Alien Covenant Ridley Scott seems to have taken his approach from Alien Resurrection and turned the aliens into snarling, brightly lit, overly shown CGI blobs. I know it's trite to complain about CGI, but every time an alien appeared the CGI distracted me. I just think 2017 creature effects should look better than this.

But more on point, my complaint is more about Scott's aesthetics than about the quality of the effects. The film looks and feels like every other big Hollywood action spectacle of late. The disorienting, quick-cutting action scenes are the worst offender. But the whole thing feels like it was taken from The Big Book of Hollywood Production Design, everything from the design of the ship down to the clicking sound the proto-aliens make. It's all extremely stale.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? After all it IS a big Hollywood movie. But then again this is the dude who directed Alien and Bladerunner, two of the most mold-breaking science fiction films ever made. I guess I expected a more unique vision.

/ 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

20. Dracula's Daughter

A direct sequel to Dracula, the only returning cast member is Edward Van Sloan as Von Helsing. Why they had to all of the sudden change his name from Van to Von Helsing is anyone's guess, probably a rights issue.

Gloria Holden actually ends up filling the shoes of Lugosi quite nicely as Dracula's daughter. She has the aristocratic attitude and manner of speech down perfectly, and the way she's lit always makes her seem ghoulish and unsettling, yet still beautiful. The story isn't as reliably entertaining as the typical Dracula story(they're usually structured fairly closely to Stoker's original), but as with all the horror films Universal produced, its has a brisk pace and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Visually these sequels have all been very nice looking in my opinion, I'm not noticing a major step down in that department from the original. Lots of really nice dynamic lighting and shadow that take make almost every shot interesting to look at in some way. Does anyone know what the overall consensus is on this film versus Son of Dracula? From what I've read the critics were pretty divided on Dracula's Daughter, and I don't know if fans today appreciate it or not. I definitely enjoyed it though as a solid sequel that doesn't overly depend on good will for the original.

Draculas Daughter is the first lesbian vampire film. It's really one of the first examples if not the first absolutely queer horror film. I enjoy the film tremendously. It's easily one of my top films If early horror. The film itself was also in areas marketed as a lesbian vampire film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

:siren: :toxx: averted :siren:

13. Alien: Covenant - Ridley Scott, 2017

The film looks and feels like every other big Hollywood action spectacle of late.

Can't wait for the "5 more stories" Ridley Scott says he has about this universe.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for the "5 more stories" Ridley Scott says he has about this universe.

HOW? He's almost 80! David Lynch is retiring now at 71!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm more concerned about the universe even having one more story in it. We know every loving thing there is to know about the aliens and even the stupid space jockey. What's there left to tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
6. Christmas Horror Story

Another anthology film, this time with stories around Christmas! Krampus terrorizes an assholish family, Santa takes on zombie elves, a boy is lost while he and his family search for a tree and when he's found, something is off, and three students investigate some mysterious deaths.

They're intertwined, sort of connecting, and William Shatner is a radio DJ who loves Christmas. It was good, fun, and had a really cool twist at the end.

8/10.

• Locked thread