Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How have I never thought of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

learnincurve posted:

Put it's pot in a larger pot and pack your new potting material round it, when you take the pot out again you will have a nice hole you can quickly transfer your plant into :)

:monocle:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

learnincurve posted:

Put it's pot in a larger pot and pack your new potting material round it, when you take the pot out again you will have a nice hole you can quickly transfer your plant into :)

Holy poo poo! You are on to something there.. thank you!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fantastic--thanks! And just in time for my nursery run this Friday. :getin:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Farm day pictures for the hell of it! Bachelor's buttons and vetch flowers are going bonkers. These are all sold to local restaurants.

Bachelor's buttons

Buttons, vetch and a little garden guardian

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hello all. Just bought a new house and need some advice. Our back yard basically makes a "U" around the house. The portion on the eastern side of the house is relatively shady and the drainage is not so good to boot. So we are going to take the grass out of that section. My wife is wanting to just take out the grass and dump a bunch of mulch and essentailly turn it into a giant flowerbed/planting area. My idea was more towards some sort of ground cover with areas of mulch to put in the things she wants to put in. I'd like to be able to walk on said ground cover however. Any suggestions on A) general landscaping in the area described and B) specific plant recommendations, especially ground cover. We live north of Seattle which is zone 8b.

I actually have a lawn question too but I'll save that for a separate post. ;)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Smugworth posted:

How have I never thought of that?

Because it's not a good idea if your plant is potbound. You need to spread those roots out into the new dirt.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have a plant that I ID'ed once and discovered that it liked being rootbound. (I don't remember what it is; it was a gift for my grandfather's funeral in early 1998 and it will. not. die.) But it tilts like a motherfucker and is now pulling all the soil up with it--only slightly, so far. I'm going to pick up a bigger pot for it later this week, but in this case, should I try to shake the roots free or just plop that sucker in?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hirayuki posted:

I have a plant that I ID'ed once and discovered that it liked being rootbound. (I don't remember what it is; it was a gift for my grandfather's funeral in early 1998 and it will. not. die.) But it tilts like a motherfucker and is now pulling all the soil up with it--only slightly, so far. I'm going to pick up a bigger pot for it later this week, but in this case, should I try to shake the roots free or just plop that sucker in?

What's the plant?

Roots for potbound plants are generally scratched loose with your fingers, but if it's extremely potbound, it's not unusual to run a knife, saw, hori hori, etc. down the sizes every inch apart or so. New roots will grow from the cuts, not from the tips which might be buried in the middle of the rootball.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 17, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whatever this is:

Closeup of its leaves:

(There's the remnants of a different plant sticking up in the middle, way dead, that I'd tease out and toss away in the process of repotting.)

Edit: Schefflera?

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 18, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Yep, Schefflera or however you spell it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

vulturesrow posted:

Hello all. Just bought a new house and need some advice. Our back yard basically makes a "U" around the house. The portion on the eastern side of the house is relatively shady and the drainage is not so good to boot. So we are going to take the grass out of that section. My wife is wanting to just take out the grass and dump a bunch of mulch and essentailly turn it into a giant flowerbed/planting area. My idea was more towards some sort of ground cover with areas of mulch to put in the things she wants to put in. I'd like to be able to walk on said ground cover however. Any suggestions on A) general landscaping in the area described and B) specific plant recommendations, especially ground cover. We live north of Seattle which is zone 8b.

You could put down white clover in place of the grass for ground cover. I suggest that mainly because I did that after seeing a previous poster's clover lawn (and I'm obsessed with wildlife gardening :3: ). I live in a very rainy grey country, and it's growing fine for me in places with poor drainage.

You should talk with your wife about what she imagines for the planting areas - is she wanting flowerbeds specifically, shrubbery, the ability to grow vegetables, a mixture? How much maintenance do you/she want to do? Does she want lots of colour for lots of the year? (would need a mix of plants that flower in spring/summer/autumn)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Plantgoons, does this look like the work of aphids to you? We recently started a garden and the plants haven't been doing too well.

Other things like basil and oregano have been doing pretty poorly and I'm at a bit of a loss why. They're all watered and get plenty of sun. I never had too much issue growing them in pots, so I'm not sure what the issue here is.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 19, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aphids don't chew holes in things. They suck plants' delicious juices out.

Our roses have similar holes, and I think it might be rose slugs (not actually a type of slug).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are you in the UK?

Nothing is chuffing growing :argh: so if you are then it's not just you, that random cold snap really messed with their growing cycle and put everything back about a month. I've got bare root roses that are still dormant. Expect everything to start rapidly growing now the weather is more normal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NC m'dude. I do remember seeing a slug inside a seashell the wife had put out for wife reasons. Time for pesticides (or whatever kills slugs) I suppose.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

Are you in the UK?

Nothing is chuffing growing :argh: so if you are then it's not just you, that random cold snap really messed with their growing cycle and put everything back about a month. I've got bare root roses that are still dormant. Expect everything to start rapidly growing now the weather is more normal.

Well I'm in SW UK and my garden is going totally nuts after all the rain. Unfortunately so are all the slugs and snails.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

vulturesrow posted:

Depending on how much walking you intend on doing, you can go for a moss lawn in Seattle. There's some of them that can take quite a beating, plus they do better than grasses in places that have poor drainage. They also have an advantage that they're fairly dense and thus stop weed seeds from being able to germinate, and those seeds that do are easier to differentiate from the moss.

My old neighbor also used to have a mixed rock/moss garden in their planter strip that looked really neat. The people that bought the house were of course terrible and ruined the creation.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a moss and grass lawn, also has some dandelion and daisy in the mix. :D

I'm with your wife on this one vulturesrow, one big bed of flowers and if it's really big a stepping stone path through it.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

What is this stuff spreading out over my lawn?
If it's bad, how do I get rid of it?
I'm referring to the yellow flowers on red-stems with jagged leaves. It's spread out much farther than it was last year. It's almost like some sort of creeper vine or something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alpine Mustache posted:

What is this stuff spreading out over my lawn?
If it's bad, how do I get rid of it?
I'm referring to the yellow flowers on red-stems with jagged leaves. It's spread out much farther than it was last year. It's almost like some sort of creeper vine or something.

where do you live?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is some sort of false strawberry or something similar. They are a creeping ground cover.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It looks to me more like rough cinquefoil, which tends to creep in response to frequent mowing.
It's native to most of North America above the mason dixon line. It's not especially beneficial or harmful, just another wildflower.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, it's almost definitely some sort of Potentilla species (like cinquefoil). They mostly have five leaflets like your plant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rake before you mow or get down on hands and knees and start pulling it up.

E: retracted because others know better

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 21, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, it's almost definitely some sort of Potentilla species (like cinquefoil). They mostly have five leaflets like your plant.

We have a winner.

It's Potentilla reptans/ creeping cinquefoil. the wiki article on Potentilla has that exact plant as it's picture lol.

Edit: It has taproots, might I suggest not raking. Manually digging or covering it with light suppressant membrane are your environmentaly friendly options, the "gently caress it" option is chemicals but be warned, you need the strong stuff that will kill everything else as well.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 21, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just pull the taproot out with your hands silly.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just watch out for its teeth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I got a bunch of seeds off ebay and they've started rolling in this week, most of them are tiny as dust. like wtf. I have 200 blue lobelia seeds and it looks like just a tiny grain of dirt in the corner of a dime baggie. I didn't realize seeds came that small

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lobelias spit out so many tiny seeds. I bought a couple cardinal flowers a few years ago, and now I have more seeds than I know what to do with.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

indigi posted:

I got a bunch of seeds off ebay and they've started rolling in this week, most of them are tiny as dust. like wtf. I have 200 blue lobelia seeds and it looks like just a tiny grain of dirt in the corner of a dime baggie. I didn't realize seeds came that small

Now you might understand Jesus' story about having faith the size of a mustard seed.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I suppose my tastes sadly align with those of an old lady, but how can you not love African violets? They're so pretty and bloom constantly. So many varieties...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's OK. I'm basically an old lady too.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Heads up, it is prime planting season so big box gardening stores are getting a lot of stock which in turn means a lot of items on the clearance racks.
This weekend I rescued lots of perennials from my local Lowe's for ~$30:

- 6 salvia
- 2 different colors of phlox
- 2 coreopsis

All of them were perfectly healthy but a little bedraggled and needed some water + sun. The coreopsis looked absolutely fine, they just weren't blooming so I guess they looked like a boring bucket of foliage. $1/each.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So, I'm pretty terrible at keeping plants, I guess. I've had this bonsai for six months and it has been doing pretty well but recently hit about where the whole thing turned brown. I try to keep it outside for a few days a week on a porch and a few days inside. I water it twice a week and try to not overwater it. I'm not sure what's going on but I would appreciate some advice as I'd hate to lose this plant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Sean posted:

So, I'm pretty terrible at keeping plants, I guess. I've had this bonsai for six months and it has been doing pretty well but recently hit about where the whole thing turned brown. I try to keep it outside for a few days a week on a porch and a few days inside. I water it twice a week and try to not overwater it. I'm not sure what's going on but I would appreciate some advice as I'd hate to lose this plant.

A juniper tree needs to be kept outside all the time except for brief stints inside--like, a couple days every few months, not every other day. Judging by your electrical outlets you're in North America, which means you've just finished depriving this tree of its winter dormancy period, which is probably why it is dying.

There's a bonsai thread, but if that were my tree I'd start by scraping the bark with a fingernail or a blade to see if there's any green underneath.

Get rid of all the rocks on top of the soil. If they're glued down, pry them off. With the rocks on top, you have no way to know if the soil is moist.

I would strongly consider pulling it out, looking at the roots (see if it's rootbound or if it is in fact just a stick chopped off a juniper tree and jammed in a pot), then putting it into a larger non-bonsai pot. Then put it outside and leave it there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

anatomi posted:

I suppose my tastes sadly align with those of an old lady, but how can you not love African violets? They're so pretty and bloom constantly. So many varieties...

I agree. We got one in a basket with some daffodils this past January. I didn't know anything about Aftican violets at the time, so you can see the burnt marks where I got water on the leaves. Since then, however, this plant has done really well, with a whole bunch of new leaves and flowers!

African Violet https://imgur.com/gallery/qB1M0

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pham Nuwen posted:

A juniper tree needs to be kept outside all the time except for brief stints inside--like, a couple days every few months, not every other day. Judging by your electrical outlets you're in North America, which means you've just finished depriving this tree of its winter dormancy period, which is probably why it is dying.

There's a bonsai thread, but if that were my tree I'd start by scraping the bark with a fingernail or a blade to see if there's any green underneath.

Get rid of all the rocks on top of the soil. If they're glued down, pry them off. With the rocks on top, you have no way to know if the soil is moist.

I would strongly consider pulling it out, looking at the roots (see if it's rootbound or if it is in fact just a stick chopped off a juniper tree and jammed in a pot), then putting it into a larger non-bonsai pot. Then put it outside and leave it there.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am in Central Florida which I consider to be very hot and we're having a drought right now so I did my own (dumb, lovely) math that the plant was getting dried out. This came from (what I think is) a good bonsai place so the rocks aren't glued down but I'll try taking a look at the roots. Thank you.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Sean posted:

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am in Central Florida which I consider to be very hot and we're having a drought right now so I did my own (dumb, lovely) math that the plant was getting dried out. This came from (what I think is) a good bonsai place so the rocks aren't glued down but I'll try taking a look at the roots. Thank you.

A lot of mallsai are just juniper branches chopped off and jammed in the ground or poorly grafted which makes them really hard to keep alive but seconded the put it outside advice. Most new people try and keep the bonsai inside and don't realize they aren't meant to be inside and it slowly dies :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Sean posted:

If it came from an actual bonsai store of some sort rather than some kiosk at the mall or the county fair, it's got a pretty good chance of actually being a tree instead of just a branch :) I'd say definitely get rid of the rocks and start monitoring the soil moisture closely. Stick your finger or a wooden chopstick half an inch in the soil; if there's no moisture, water it. I'd water in the evening so it has more time to soak up the water overnight; if you water in the morning, the sun will drive off some of the moisture from the soil before the tree can get at it.

Take this with a grain of salt, of course; I've never had a juniper bonsai beyond a little mallsai thing I got years ago before I read anything about bonsai. Mostly I fool around with ficus, which can actually survive indoors (although now that it's heating up I'm moving the ficus outside for extra sunlight)