Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ex post facho posted:

spicy take: the league should contract by about 16 teams, their talent dispersed, change the first two rounds of the playoffs to best of three elimination, and shorten the season by about ~22 games.

either that, or start a 16 team "A league" and a 16 team "G league" (:rolleye: ), with the G league teams moving up to the A league based on wins and performance from that season.

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences and its killing my interest after watching the last 14 years or so pretty regularly. i'm a nuggets fan and think the league would probably be better off with jokic and gallinari on the lakers, knicks, boston, or houston. they'll never be fortunate enough to get another top-3 pick without intentionally tanking, and no free agents are interested in coming to denver. this is the same story all over the league if you're not a major media market or have the best coach/FO in the league in the spurs. you're also definitely not going to beat the cavs or the warriors 4 times in seven games.

why does the team need multiple nuggets, suns, bucks, hornets, grizzlies, magic, jazz, and bucks organizations? expansion's great and all but when individual talent is so critical to success in the nba it essentially locks 3/4ths of the league out of real competition unless they're incredibly lucky most years (narrator voice: they aren't) or you count on lebron/curry/durant injuring themselves (narrator voice: they won't).

you know the NBA doesn't refund your tickets and repay the advertisers when your team loses right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

ex post facho posted:

spicy take: the league should contract by about 16 teams, their talent dispersed, change the first two rounds of the playoffs to best of three elimination, and shorten the season by about ~22 games.

either that, or start a 16 team "A league" and a 16 team "G league" (:rolleye: ), with the G league teams moving up to the A league based on wins and performance from that season.

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences and its killing my interest after watching the last 14 years or so pretty regularly. i'm a nuggets fan and think the league would probably be better off with jokic and gallinari on the lakers, knicks, boston, or houston. they'll never be fortunate enough to get another top-3 pick without intentionally tanking, and no free agents are interested in coming to denver. this is the same story all over the league if you're not a major media market or have the best coach/FO in the league in the spurs. you're also definitely not going to beat the cavs or the warriors 4 times in seven games.

why does the team need multiple nuggets, suns, bucks, hornets, grizzlies, magic, jazz, and bucks organizations? expansion's great and all but when individual talent is so critical to success in the nba it essentially locks 3/4ths of the league out of real competition unless they're incredibly lucky most years (narrator voice: they aren't) or you count on lebron/curry/durant injuring themselves (narrator voice: they won't).

Here's my hot take: I enjoy watching my team play basketball even if they haven't been very good for a while.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Here's my hot take: I enjoy watching my team play basketball even if they haven't been very good for a while.

the magic make me want to be a fan of another team.

E: being a magic fan is like being in a very boring relationship and looking out and seeing a bunch potential relationships that can be way more fun, but you've put too much time into your current relationship to bail, and you remember the few sparks you've had in the past and you're kind of holding out for the next spark. or death. whichever comes first.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 17, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i mean i definitely enjoy watching nba basketball and the nuggets. but its kind of silly to keep pretending that more than maybe 4 teams have a legitimate shot at making the finals each year

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If you want more parity just remove the caps on player salary but keep team salary caps.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
If you want "parity" you switch to a single elimination playoffs format. Right now the best team usually wins.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ex post facho posted:

i mean i definitely enjoy watching nba basketball and the nuggets. but its kind of silly to keep pretending that more than maybe 4 teams have a legitimate shot at making the finals each year

You're right, only 4 teams play in the conference finals. It's silly to suggest otherwise.

Jokic makes everything more palatable

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

but its kind of silly to keep pretending that more than maybe 4 teams have a legitimate shot at making the finals each year

That wouldn't change in your NBA either. If anything it makes it worse. Basketball is a sport dominated by the best players. Unless you want to get rid of the salary cap, max contracts, and force everyone to be on one year deals than teams that are good are gonna keep staying good for a while.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The League has never been as entertaining as it's been recently.

Pretty much every team has good players to watch. Besides the Nets anyway.

If you want championship parity the NBA isn't the league to watch. It's never had parity. Never ever ever ever.

Like there are ~10-12 organizations who have won a championship in the past 30 years or some poo poo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
We are like, a few flaps of a butterfly's wings away from this year's conference finals being like, a KD-lead Thunder vs. the Rockets.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

If you want championship parity the NBA isn't the league to watch. It's never had parity. Never ever ever ever.

Like there are ~10-12 organizations who have won a championship in the past 30 years or some poo poo.

Well, that's not exactly true. In the 70s the NBA had 8 different champions in 10 years, which is insane.

1980 onward however, there have been only been 11.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
idk, maybe it's just the doldrums of the year when there's not much else happening but as a fan of a small market team the nba feels more futile than ever. the argument for "high entertainment" is fine if you dont care about actual competition, which i do. nba pressers at least show the latest in fashion haute couture.

its fun to imagine a league where the nuggets have enough talent to actually make the finals while jokic is in his prime but I'm pretty sure we're just in for 3-4 more cavs-warriors finals until lebron finally starts breaking down

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, that's not exactly true. In the 70s the NBA had 8 different champions in 10 years, which is insane.

and there were only 17 teams.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 17, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

idk, maybe it's just the doldrums of the year when there's not much else happening but as a fan of a small market team the nba feels more futile than ever.

It's nba, anything can happen. Remember, Cleveland was a fart joke of a franchise until Lebron showed up. Golden State was terrible for years until they got incredibly lucky and drafted Curry, Draymond, Klay, and Harrison barnes with either garbage 2nd rounders or mid lottery picks.

Can you fathom the amount of luck that takes?

The only team that has legit been around forever is San Antonio, who are some kind of souless basketball factory. Other than then the best teams in the league really do shuffle around every 4-5 years or so.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Basketball lacks parity but makes up for it by being the most dynamic and fun sport to watch day-to-day, I'll always take that trade-off

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think evan's probly correct, the only real way to ensure a modicum of parity is single elimination, but that's sort of against the spirit of the nba

a best of three format would be great. i'd think it's a lot more possible for some random low seed to beat a coasting high seed if they only need to win 2 of 3 instead of 4 of 7

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

leftist heap posted:

We are like, a few flaps of a butterfly's wings away from this year's conference finals being like, a KD-lead Thunder vs. the Rockets.

[metapod voice] KD never led the Thunder.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

I know it doesn't seem like it but 1980 was 37 years ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ex post facho posted:

and there were only 17 teams.

The parity in the 70s probably had way more to do with cocaine than the number of teams playing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

70s were like almost 40 years ago old man.

I did forgot about the Trailblazers in 77 though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

I know it doesn't seem like it but 1980 was 37 years ago.

No it wasn't! It was only uh 20 years ago!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paul Zuvella posted:

The 70's was a large aberration due to the ABA essentially splitting the available talent in half.

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's nba, anything can happen. Remember, Cleveland was a fart joke of a franchise until Lebron showed up. Golden State was terrible for years until they got incredibly lucky and drafted Curry, Draymond, Klay, and Harrison barnes with either garbage 2nd rounders or mid lottery picks.

Can you fathom the amount of luck that takes?

The only team that has legit been around forever is San Antonio, who are some kind of souless basketball factory. Other than then the best teams in the league really do shuffle around every 4-5 years or so.
Yeah, people seem to have very short memories. It wasn't that long ago that Miami was supposedly ruining the league, now they're plucky underdogs. There were some people questioning both Curry and Klay's contracts, and Dray was pretty much an afterthought until suddenly they're all super bargains and all-star dudes.

I'd also argue that the Lakers have been around forever despite the last few years but that's a minor quibble.

The NBA is in a great spot now. There's tons of talent, games are in general pretty fun, and even when they're not there's enough nonsense and goofy poo poo around the game to be entertaining. Also Golden State and Cleveland generally play basketball that's extremely fun to watch, which isn't always the case with top teams. The league just seems to have more personality than other sports leagues, which goes a ton towards making everything seem more fun.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When people say the year 2000 I usually think "oh okay so a decade ago" and then I realize how old I am.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

aBagorn posted:

Well, I don't think anyone is saying Convington is a franchise player. But he is one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league and league average from 3pt. On a team with potential superstars that can score (embiid/jackson) and distribute (simmons) he is an invaluable piece

Yes I completely agree with that, I was just saying that passing on Jackson or Tatum because they project as a 3 like Covington (as Dejan was implying) isn't very sensible reasoning to me.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 17, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

The 70s were also when the popularity was low. It didn't pick up again until the Celtics and Lakers dynasties of the 80s and even more during the Bulls dynasty of the 90s.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

hot take: a 55% foul shooter is not an elite scorer

"What is a Shaq?"

-Some moron

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

Spacing valley of the Timberwolves

We need shooting

Am I the only one seeing :troll:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"What is a Shaq?"

-Some moron

Lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"What is a Shaq?"

-Some moron

Wilt Chamberlain was garbage at basketball

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Shorten the regular season to 20 games. Best 28 teams make the playoffs. Playoffs are six months long with every round a best of 9 series.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It speaks to a larger issue in the NBA. In a closeout you won't have full control cause you gotta be contesting a shot as fast as you can as well as adjust at the last moment.

https://streamable.com/k0swu

It happens again up there against Livingston, practically the same as the Zaza/Kawhi incident. If they start calling fouls on all of these there's almost no way to stop fadeaways or lots of 3-pointers. Shooters know they'll get all the space they want. Plus you'll get the inevitable abuse ala Harden. All in all, a hard issue to regulate. Be too lenient, you get injuries but be too harsh and shooters will have a field day and further diminish the impact of non-shooting bigs.

This is a perfect example on how Zaza's is obviously intentional. The most far forward thing on Bertans is his hand. His shoulder is more or less over his foot. He protects Livingston by not making his foot the furthest out part of his body. There's still a chance Livingston comes down on his foot but hey, that's basketball.

It's the complete opposite of what Zaza did, which was intentionally place his feet in such a way that Kawhi has no space to land safely. Bertans has his feet to the side of where Livingston took off. Zaza has his way behind where Kawhi took off.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

the magic make me want to be a fan of another team.

E: being a magic fan is like being in a very boring relationship and looking out and seeing a bunch potential relationships that can be way more fun, but you've put too much time into your current relationship to bail, and you remember the few sparks you've had in the past and you're kind of holding out for the next spark. or death. whichever comes first.

And you can tell she's not even trying anymore. But those memories, man...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dissolve teams, all players are required to drive around the country in dune buggies playing 1-on-1 on improvised courts whenever they cross paths

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

morestuff posted:

Dissolve teams, all players are required to drive around the country in dune buggies playing 1-on-1 on improvised courts whenever they cross paths

In full armor. TWO GO IN, ONE COMES OUT!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

But that's mostly because of the 80s and 90s. If you take the last 20 years, there have 9 different champions and another 7 teams that got to the Finals and never won, which is over half the league. If you take the last 10 years, there have been 7 different champions. Teams are going to be good for multiple years in a row in literally every sport.

Now right now, yeah, maybe we're in the middle of a glorious decade-long Warriors reign of terror, but somehow I suspect it won't actually play out that way as much as I'd like it to.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Pro Tip: The top prize for NBA InPlay tonight is very nice. Same prize if you win playing with the Cavs or the Celtics. Also, you should play InPlay now and forever so I get to keep my job.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

big boi posted:

Pro Tip: The top prize for NBA InPlay tonight is very nice. Same prize if you win playing with the Cavs or the Celtics. Also, you should play InPlay now and forever so I get to keep my job.

It's an app right? Or is there a website?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kibner posted:

The 70s were also when the popularity was low. It didn't pick up again until the Celtics and Lakers dynasties of the 80s and even more during the Bulls dynasty of the 90s.

Top talent was also dispersed over two pro leagues in the 70s and the biggest star in the NBA was a surly, militant black man who didn't like giving interviews

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

big boi posted:

I'll vouch it's a very fun app

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DebCarson/status/864889991855357953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The Warriors won't be an unstoppable juggernaut in like 3 years, there's no way they don't fall into cap hell in no time.

• Locked thread