Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

calandryll posted:

Like how many hot dogs are we talking?

Lol if you think Phil Kessel keeps track. Have you sen his face? He looks like a chipmunk swallowed a watermelon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Like how many hot dogs are we talking?

I have 2 at lunch.

I suspect if I transition to a full day of 3 meals of 2 hotdogs I can transcend to a celestial being of pure dangles.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Bootcha posted:

I have 2 at lunch.

I suspect if I transition to a full day of 3 meals of 2 hotdogs I can transcend to a celestial being of pure dangles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am going to reheat a brat for lunch that we grilled the other night.

Will this make me as good as Phil Kessel?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Actual footage of me trying to learn how to do backwards crossovers today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dqUzRhksI

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some rear end in a top hat decided he was going to play lumberjack on me and my stick today with 30 seconds left of a 10-5 game. Luckily it didnt break, good thing I got the Kesler pro returns I guess?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

I am going to reheat a brat for lunch that we grilled the other night.

Will this make me as good as Phil Kessel?

Only if its filled with Cheese.

On the plus side we won our first game of the summer season 7-2. It was a weird one as the other team has a notorious ringer but they seemed to have lost a few guys for the summer session. Of course its also the seeding round so I'm sure as usual everyone on our team will show up, we'll win our first few games, get placed in a higher division and then get absolutely pummeled all season long and finish towards the bottom.

For not having played for 2 months, I was in the zone. I was playing D instead of C but managed something like 6 blocked shots, 3 slapshots from the point, 1 assist, and 5 or 6 takeaways/stripped pucks. I don't usually play D but when I do I really enjoy breaking down the hopes of a rushing forward into our zone. I wasn't even sweating when I got off the ice, only drank 1/4 of my water bottle and wasn't really hurting at all.

I was playing RD and the highlight of my night was when the ringer came through the neutral zone, walked the entire team, deked my LD partner at our blue line and went wide along the boards to curl back in towards the net. I'm a lefty so my stick was across my body towards him and the boards. I was keeping up with his speed going backwards, just trying to control the gap. He was just about to step past me towards the goalie when I transitioned from skating backwards. Instead of spinning into him on the transition and likely getting beat, I spun the opposite direction and in one fluid motion I also swung my stick with my top hand (like a backhand tennis shot) and hit blade to blade knocking the puck into the corner. It felt like something out of the Matrix and my bench started cheering which is rare to hear as a defenseman in your own zone.

Maybe all those years of watching Niklas Lidstrom have finally paid off.

FWIW I ate a BLT sandwich for dinner and drank a lemon lime gatorade in the locker room. I also had to pee the entire game.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 17, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The brat did have cheese in it, will score 20 goals tonight.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Truly the best thing

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Holy poo poo this is amazing.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

My spirit animal has found me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Bootcha posted:

My spirit animal has found me.

I feel like this should be your av

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I'm interested to try this hotdog Kessel diet but unfortunately my rink will be closed for the next month for their annual spring face lift. Usually it is only a 2 week shutdown but this year we are getting new boards! Well, new to us. They bought them from a college, somewhere in MN I think, and we're going to have that seamless glass now, or so I'm told. From what I know about seamless glass is that it has no give at all so yay to an increase in shoulder injuries I guess. It shouldn't be too bad for me since everything I play is no check, but sometimes you still hit the boards pretty hard trying to make a play. Hopefully the high school kids and slightly younger kids that play checking hockey are too light to have the new glass have much of an effect on them.

I've actually never played in a rink with seamless glass before, is there that much of a difference?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm interested to try this hotdog Kessel diet but unfortunately my rink will be closed for the next month for their annual spring face lift. Usually it is only a 2 week shutdown but this year we are getting new boards! Well, new to us. They bought them from a college, somewhere in MN I think, and we're going to have that seamless glass now, or so I'm told. From what I know about seamless glass is that it has no give at all so yay to an increase in shoulder injuries I guess. It shouldn't be too bad for me since everything I play is no check, but sometimes you still hit the boards pretty hard trying to make a play. Hopefully the high school kids and slightly younger kids that play checking hockey are too light to have the new glass have much of an effect on them.

I've actually never played in a rink with seamless glass before, is there that much of a difference?

This was something Savard specifically mentioned as contributing to his head injury. That's ~pro athlete logic~ and not based on any science but hey, it's an anecdote. Most minor hockey is played at rinks that have stanchions but the good ones have the stanchions mounted outside of the glass so they don't impact shootarounds anyways.

In other news I stumbled across my old gear and I'm thinking of playing again. I stopped after having major abdominal surgery and now have a 13-inch vertical scar splitting my abdomen. Aside from the obvious, tell me why playing again is stupid.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This was something Savard specifically mentioned as contributing to his head injury. That's ~pro athlete logic~ and not based on any science but hey, it's an anecdote. Most minor hockey is played at rinks that have stanchions but the good ones have the stanchions mounted outside of the glass so they don't impact shootarounds anyways.

In other news I stumbled across my old gear and I'm thinking of playing again. I stopped after having major abdominal surgery and now have a 13-inch vertical scar splitting my abdomen. Aside from the obvious, tell me why playing again is stupid.

That makes sense actually. I wasn't even thinking about the head injury factor. I can totally see that contributing to a rise in concussions if the thing your being smashed into/smashing into has hardly any give at all. There has been a pretty decent rise in concussions over the last few years just because people are getting better and better at diagnosing them so at least if there are more concussions detected they won't go unnoticed and fall into the, oh he's fine he just got his bell rung territory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is NHL glass more giving than average_shitty_rink.txt glass? Because when I bump my shoulder into the glass where I skate it barely wiggles and tells me in no uncertain terms if I went into that at speed I would dislocate every joint in my body.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For me its always been more noticeable on the glass, not the boards themselves. Some of the pro rinks have been very flexy and forgiving while others have felt like concrete walls with no give.

Also, pro players are much bigger and travel much faster, and intentionally check eachother really loving hard so those boards are going to show their flexibility 10x more with them than any beer leaguer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my point, how the gently caress is a human body, no matter how flexible, able to take that kind of abuse a dozen times a game 82 times a year?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

NHL glass sounds different when the puck bounces off it at least. I always remembered thinking my clearances must be weak because they sounded different from what I heard on tv, then I got to play in the Nassau Coliseum before the Isles moved out and it had the exact same pong sound. At my local rinks it's more like a hard clack.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

That's my point, how the gently caress is a human body, no matter how flexible, able to take that kind of abuse a dozen times a game 82 times a year?

It's not, hence the injury rate of pro athletes

Why is no one trying to talk me out of playing again

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Loqieu posted:

NHL glass sounds different when the puck bounces off it at least. I always remembered thinking my clearances must be weak because they sounded different from what I heard on tv, then I got to play in the Nassau Coliseum before the Isles moved out and it had the exact same pong sound. At my local rinks it's more like a hard clack.

A more rigid surface will tend to ring while a softer surface will thunk

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why... Why wouldn't you???

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's not, hence the injury rate of pro athletes

I'm not sure you realise how this works.

People come and post here because they enjoy playing hockey. Then we bitch about the subtle nuances that await us in beer league. But we still show up every week because we enjoy playing enough to deal with the annoyances.

If you enjoy it, play. If you don't, don't.

I tried playing soccer again for the first time since high school. gently caress that. I hated it. I ask got back into airsoft/milsim. Fun, but not nearly the same level of enjoyment. Given the opportunity I will still play hockey until I literally can't skate anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every week when I hop into the car at 9pm to drive thirty miles I think how much I hate the drive and decide to not skate with the team next season. Then I BS with the bros in the locker room and we lose the game badly and BS some more and am all "oh yeah now the drive is worth it."

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Loqieu posted:

That could be because the local rinks have plexiglass instead of real glass. I know my rink before the upcoming facelift has had plexiglass since forever. I'm guessing it is a durability thing, an outright cost thing or a little of both. I do know that when we have had panes of plexi break the cleanup is pretty easy since that stuff just cracks and snaps rather than shattering and getting glass everywhere. For whatever reason our rink has a couple panes of real glass laying around that they'll put in temporarily if a plexi pane breaks and it is definitely a notable difference in sound.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I was kind of hoping someone would say "abdominal surgery? You'd be nuts to play when your guts could spill on the ice"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If your surgery was recent, check with your doc. If not, you're healed and your guts should stay put.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I was kind of hoping someone would say "abdominal surgery? You'd be nuts to play when your guts could spill on the ice"

Okay here you go.

If you run into the boards, will you be bisected from the impact?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPd4L7_0uQ&t=117s

This will definitely happen to you.

(NSFW, its from the film not another teen movie and features a dude getting torn in half for comedic effect)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It happened to me in high school. I got better, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure NHL glass has more give than what you average rink uses.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

:magical:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

Every week when I hop into the car at 9pm to drive thirty miles I think how much I hate the drive and decide to not skate with the team next season. Then I BS with the bros in the locker room and we lose the game badly and BS some more and am all "oh yeah now the drive is worth it."

Good lord this is loving beerleague.txt right here. I got the early start tonight (9:00PM) and I'm stoked that I'll get maybe 5 hours of sleep tonight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a bunch of us are playing in the broken bottle division for the colorado pabst pond hockey tournament feb 16-18

if others are going let us know and we'll probably say hi and go back to our palace to drink in the hot tub

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That tournament is awesome. They made that division following the year I went, because our team sucked so bad.

They offered us half off entry for the following year because the DJ made fun of us the whole time and the tournament organizers felt bad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what was your gimmick

5 games is so worth it though

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

what was your gimmick

"Trying our best"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drinking heavily

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played bad last night and I'm mad about it. I don't really care if we win or lose but man nothing makes me madder then when I play badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

prom candy posted:

I played bad last night and I'm mad about it. I don't really care if we win or lose but man nothing makes me madder then when I play badly.

You probably dropped out of first overall good job. Hope you enjoy playing with Colorado this season.