Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Kinda like the Polderbaan at Amsterdam Schiphol, probably a mile away from anything else:

"And now that we've landed, a short drive through the country..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Madrid Barajas is also pretty poo poo for that. Terminal 4 and 4S are at the complete other end of the airport from 1, 2 and 3, to the point there's actually a metro stop between them, so while you don't have runways that gently caress off into the middle of nowhere, they may as well if you're scheduled to depart or arrive at the wrong terminal.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
It's not as bad as it looks... On the taxiways to it you are allowed to taxi at up to 50 knots.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Inacio posted:

Where there's a will

I considered that option, but those cliffs looked so steep it might make the pillars unpractically tall.

And I'm not sure if that would help with the windshear anyway. From some earlier post I got the impression that a plane needs to be some distance inland from the cliff edge before it can land, so it doesn't matter how much the runway has been extended in that direction. The extension would only help at the stopping end of runway. And stopping a plane on a bridge over a cliff and then trying to turn it around doesn't sound like something I'd want to do as a pilot. But I must admit it would make an amazing video when one of those 737s missjudged the turn and tumbled down the cliff.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tsuru posted:

It's not as bad as it looks... On the taxiways to it you are allowed to taxi at up to 50 knots.

Still a 20 minute taxi from Polderbaan to the terminal. And for some reason we land on that every time I have a tight connection at AMS.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Lambert STL also has a runway to nowhere that nobody uses, 11/29. Turns out taxiing that much costs real money, who knew? but I'm really impressed with building one on top of a highway. Way to go, Atlanta. I think.

STL is kind of a depressing airport since it used to be a hub when TWA existed and McDonnell-Douglas hadn't been bought out by Boeing and used to be pretty busy. Now it's like a third-tier sleepy regional but with the facilities to handle so much more traffic. Everything just seems out of scale.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

but I'm really impressed with building one on top of a highway. Way to go, Atlanta. I think.

Now here's hoping they didn't store a bunch of plastic under it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Now I'm thinking about the fact that Concorde used 2% of its fuel load taxiing to takeoff because it's engines were optimised for high altitude, it'd run out of gas taking off from that schipol runway in the middle of nowhere

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

Lambert STL also has a runway to nowhere that nobody uses, 11/29.

It looks like you'd take off from 11 and land on 29. If that were the case the taxi isn't much longer than taking off from 6

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

It looks like you'd take off from 11 and land on 29. If that were the case the taxi isn't much longer than taking off from 6

Only if you're at the main terminal. It seems like Southwest is like 80% of the airline traffic in/out these days(at least on the eastern half where I work) and I can't picture them wanting anything to do with that runway.

savex
May 28, 2014

Psion posted:

Lambert STL also has a runway to nowhere that nobody uses, 11/29. Turns out taxiing that much costs real money, who knew? but I'm really impressed with building one on top of a highway. Way to go, Atlanta. I think.

Didn't they stopped using that runway because of an order of court? They've build that runway w/o asking the resident impacted by that decision?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonathan Demers posted:

Didn't they stopped using that runway because of an order of court? They've build that runway w/o asking the resident impacted by that decision?

I don't know about that, but they did eminent domain the poo poo out of the neighborhood that used to be there to expand it right before American pulled out.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

fknlo posted:

I don't know about that, but they did eminent domain the poo poo out of the neighborhood that used to be there to expand it right before American pulled out.

It is disappointingly un-apocalyptic, riding around the abandoned street-grid Kind of like the worlds most boring golf course.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
If you think runways over highways, runways built over oceans/bays, or insanely long taxis are exciting you should really get out more

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Does Memphis have one over a highway? The parallel taxiway for 35/36R and Center are on overpasses. May be terminal traffic idk.

What's good in Boston Logan? Flying Aer Lingus tomorrow to CDG, connecting through Dublin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

While it might be true that the A380 is a 'dopey' looking airplane, that wing on it is a thing of beauty.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is what O'Hare has.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.979235,-87.8957121,1152m/data=!3m1!1e3

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looking at Memphis, the Fedex area seems to be really poorly placed if they're landing south. UPS has their poo poo setup right in between the runways. I wonder how much that effects the noticeably quicker turnaround that UPS has over Fedex?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While it might be true that the A380 is a 'dopey' looking airplane, that wing on it is a thing of beauty.

Absolutely, but it looks about 3 sizes too big in that profile

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Looking at Memphis, the Fedex area seems to be really poorly placed if they're landing south. UPS has their poo poo setup right in between the runways. I wonder how much that effects the noticeably quicker turnaround that UPS has over Fedex?

I think anything related to moving items between trucks at a local shipping node will outweigh an extra few minutes a item spends on an extremely expensive airplane.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Saukkis posted:

I considered that option, but those cliffs looked so steep it might make the pillars unpractically tall.

And I'm not sure if that would help with the windshear anyway. From some earlier post I got the impression that a plane needs to be some distance inland from the cliff edge before it can land, so it doesn't matter how much the runway has been extended in that direction. The extension would only help at the stopping end of runway. And stopping a plane on a bridge over a cliff and then trying to turn it around doesn't sound like something I'd want to do as a pilot. But I must admit it would make an amazing video when one of those 737s missjudged the turn and tumbled down the cliff.

Lufthansa, BA and Virgin pilots having to get carrier quals before being authorized to land there. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KFLL is in on the overpass game, too. That's US1 passing underneath, for anyone on the east coast of the country. Bonus points for putting the bridge directly under the touchdown zone for 28L. :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Discord chat I'm in started arguing about how airships would be the solution for everything cargo transportation and are great and magical

:rolleyes:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The one airport where I'm surprised there isn't an overpass is Gibraltar.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Inacio posted:

Discord chat I'm in started arguing about how airships would be the solution for everything cargo transportation and are great and magical

:rolleyes:

:stoked:

I'm having an impact on the world

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stoked:

I'm having an impact on the world

I have an RP setting you might want to hear about once I get it into a more coherent form.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As long as there isn't a runway overpassing another runway, the "insanity" part of the thread title isn't met.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cat Mattress posted:

As long as there isn't a runway overpassing another runway, the "insanity" part of the thread title isn't met.

You asked?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The King of the Netherlands apparently flies for KLM's "Cityhopper" service to clear his mind. He flies Fokker 70s and is training on 737s because the Fokkers are being retired.

http://news.sky.com/story/dutch-king-reveals-double-life-as-an-airline-pilot-for-klm-10881947

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is good to have hobbies when you don't work, keeps you occupied.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

fknlo posted:

I've been there a few times and the landing is predominately to the north but they'll give 9/27 sometimes if you ask for it. The full length taxi isn't that bad considering they taxi around at close to v1. That's an exaggeration but they definitely don't waste their time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

wolrah posted:

The King of the Netherlands apparently flies for KLM's "Cityhopper" service to clear his mind. He flies Fokker 70s and is training on 737s because the Fokkers are being retired.

http://news.sky.com/story/dutch-king-reveals-double-life-as-an-airline-pilot-for-klm-10881947

His dad would have been flying fighters in the war, this one's an entitled soft millenial if you ask me

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

fknlo posted:

An extra 10 minutes of taxi time doesn't really impact the turnaround when the majority of the time is sorting packages brought in by ~150 aircraft and most aircraft are scheduled to be on the ground for 3-4 hours anyways.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great plane, excellent youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7z499NBVs

savex
May 28, 2014

Enzenx posted:

An extra 10 minutes of taxi time doesn't really impact the turnaround when the majority of the time is sorting packages brought in by ~150 aircraft and most aircraft are scheduled to be on the ground for 3-4 hours anyways.

If I remember correctly, it's in Memphis that the FAA is studying reduced wake turbulence seperation between departure base on the laminar wing profile instead of only weight... That sure help if you can depart 3 heavies instead of 2 every 4 minutes...

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008

Psion posted:

in 1942 I played with a guy who was good enough to roll 90 degrees and get you with the wingtip.

once upon a time, he tried this as I was putting down landmines near a capture point, resulting in - technically speaking - an air-to-air landmine kill as his wing clipped and detonated it while it was in mid-drop. And yes, the killfeed was "psion [landmine] whats_his_name."

loving mefafthiel, i still have "nightmares" about getting bombed out of an AA gun because he would come down from the ceiling directly over the gun in the 1 degree of space the gun couldn't hit.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops -- wrong thread

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2017

savex
May 28, 2014

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/865505753615835137

Hmmmmmmm for a failure to appear warrant or something?

Because Trump said so ...

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Mortabis posted:

The one airport where I'm surprised there isn't an overpass is Gibraltar.

But then I wouldn't have been able to cross driving over that runway off my bucket list.
It's kinda neat to watch them close it off and prepare for a departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

jkr266s posted:

loving mefafthiel, i still have "nightmares" about getting bombed out of an AA gun because he would come down from the ceiling directly over the gun in the 1 degree of space the gun couldn't hit.

ahaha oh yeah, the AA guns turned into traps instead of useful. i'm glad you remembered his name. that guy was an insane plane wizard.

also, hi