Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm extremely skeptical of the idea that the islanders would leave hamonic unprotected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Also Vancouver is just dregs. There's nothing there. I picked Meygna in my list because goddamn that team is a wasteland

What is that sound high in the rafters
Murmur of eternal lamentation
Who are those blue clad hosers sucking
Over endless games, stumbling on chipped ice
Ringed by empty seats only
Watch as the city ‘neath the mountains
Sucks and rebuilds and gets blown out by the youthful Oil
Failing twins
Gudbranson Sutter Eriksson
Sbisa Dorsett
Awful

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

a false posted:

i'm extremely skeptical of the idea that the islanders would leave hamonic unprotected

The thought was it would come down to him and de Haan. That's a real tough choice the make. The stat nerds prefer Calvin.

End of the day it goes back to the idea that teams like the Islanders are going to need to make trades.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The thought was it would come down to him and de Haan. That's a real tough choice the make. The stat nerds prefer Calvin.

Given the value Larsson got and the suggested return for Tanev, I think it's safe to say that the Isles will keep Hamonic simply for his trade value. Right shooting, big minute defensive defencemen are worth their weight in gold. De Haan is probably more effective from a possession perspective, but players like him are ultimately easier to come by.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of scoring starts from the defense and I'm not sure I agree with the assessment they will have difficulty there. They just aren't going to have a superstar.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/864549785688133632

No surprise there.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Where's St. Louis sending their guys next year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

checksin posted:

Where's St. Louis sending their guys next year

I'm pretty sure they're sharing with Vegas

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Let go Shovel Knights

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

ThinkTank posted:

I'm pretty sure they're sharing with Vegas

I actually think it's exclusive with Vegas? I don't know at the moment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When did The Blackhawks stop using the Wolves?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When did The Blackhawks stop using the Wolves?

Chicago has used Rockford as long as I can remember. So maybe like 20 years ago? The Wolves were Atlanta's AHL affiliate until the Thrashers relocated, then Vancouver's (because Winnipeg stole theirs), then St. Louis, and now Vegas.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sounds like they're sharing. Here's a very weirdly worded statement from Doug Armstrong:

quote:

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong released the following statement regarding the Blues' American Hockey League (AHL) plans for the 2017-18 season:

"The St. Louis Blues will not renew their primary affiliation with the AHL's Chicago Wolves past the 2016-17 season. We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season."

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/armstrong-statement-on-ahl-affiliation/c-289468858

The Blues also decided to can all of their assistant coaches too for some reason. Guess they're gonna all be Yeo's boys now.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2017

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Seems like the Blues are angling for their own AHL franchise as the 31st AHL franchise. Kansas city or Indianapolis make sense.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I thought it was already confirmed that they were getting an expansion AHL franchise in the immediate future

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jordan7hm posted:

End of the day it goes back to the idea that teams like the Islanders are going to need to make trades.

ThinkTank posted:

Given the value Larsson got and the suggested return for Tanev, I think it's safe to say that the Isles will keep Hamonic simply for his trade value. Right shooting, big minute defensive defencemen are worth their weight in gold. De Haan is probably more effective from a possession perspective, but players like him are ultimately easier to come by.

yeah i've been a big de haan fan for a long time but i'd be shocked if the organization didn't value hamonic more. he's also got the Team Leader intangible which like it or not obviously matters to a team

also it was said after the hall-larsson trade that hall-hamonic was a trade that edmonton would have made (and i recall garth being pretty well lambasted for not having done it especially during the period during which hamonic was asking for a move to western canada) so even though that ship has sailed it seems pretty suspect to let a player with that sort of supposed value walk for free

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chicago has used Rockford as long as I can remember. So maybe like 20 years ago? The Wolves were Atlanta's AHL affiliate until the Thrashers relocated, then Vancouver's (because Winnipeg stole theirs), then St. Louis, and now Vegas.

Hawks have never had the Chicago Wolves as an AHL affiliate. Rockford since 2007 and before that it was the Norfolk Admirals from 2000. Blackhawks might have soured on the Wolves when they pulled more spectators than the Hawks during the dark years and actually won games.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Well maybe if old dead dollar dollar Bill y'all wasn't such a cheap, salty, vindictive twat...

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Emetic Hustler posted:

Hawks have never had the Chicago Wolves as an AHL affiliate. Rockford since 2007 and before that it was the Norfolk Admirals from 2000. Blackhawks might have soured on the Wolves when they pulled more spectators than the Hawks during the dark years and actually won games.

The Wolves were founded in 1994 as an IHL expansion team as part of the league's effort to expand into larger markets. Most of the other cities the IHL expanded to though (Denver, Twin Cities, and Houston) didn't have a nearby NHL team. While normally this would hurt, the Blackhawks we such a garbage organisation that the Wolves were able to successfully market themselves as a cheaper alternative for families that normally couldn't afford to go to a Hawks game. Needless to say, the Wolves and Hawks didn't exactly have a great relationship.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol, i get the annoyance to a certain degree but loving every minor league team in every sport markets itself as the less-expensive alternative to the big leagues, that's not new

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

lol, i get the annoyance to a certain degree but loving every minor league team in every sport markets itself as the less-expensive alternative to the big leagues, that's not new

I should add, the Wolves also broadcast all their games on TV, so for a while they were the highest level hockey on Chicago TV.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the islanders should gently caress off back to long Island so that the rangers can have a minor league team at barclays so i dont have to live near a bunch of islanders bull poo poo

Hartford can have an nhl team back too

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The fact that the Islanders didn't get Bridgeport to move to the Coliseum is fuckin stupidity of the highest order

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Hartford can have an nhl team back too

I know the CT WHALE poo poo failed, but I honestly don't know why anyone is against rebranding the Wolfpack as the new Whalers. Connecticut is mostly Rangers fans anyway I'd assume and I'm sure it would instantly become the #1 selling AHL jersey (especially if the Rangers actually have some good prospects go through the A for a change) and I'd honestly bet they would sell more than like the bottom 1/3 of the league. I feel like that's a license to print money.

Do the people who own the Whalers* brand really think the NHL is coming back and they want to hold on to that poo poo just in case? I don't claim to know how it would work, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to make that change and I'm sure it would jazz up a ton of people.

* I know that in the last few years, the NHL has been able to print and sell Whalers merch again, so I can't imagine anyone is against monetizing their poo poo

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 17, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The fact that the Islanders didn't get Bridgeport to move to the Coliseum is fuckin stupidity of the highest order

I know the CT WHALE poo poo failed, but I honestly don't know why anyone is against rebranding the Wolfpack as the new Whalers. Connecticut is mostly Rangers fans anyway I'd assume and I'm sure it would instantly become the #1 selling AHL jersey (especially if the Rangers actually have some good prospects go through the A for a change) and I'd honestly bet they would sell more than like the bottom 1/3 of the league. I feel like that's a license to print money.

Do the people who own the Whalers* brand really think the NHL is coming back and they want to hold on to that poo poo just in case? I don't claim to know how it would work, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to make that change and I'm sure it would jazz up a ton of people.

* I know that in the last few years, the NHL has been able to print and sell Whalers merch again, so I can't imagine anyone is against monetizing their poo poo

The city of Hartford owns the name, IIRC.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'd imagine the Islanders didn't want to buy out of whatever contract that has them playing in Bridgeport. Sidebar: what the gently caress is a sound tiger?

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Hartford is pushing real hard to be the interim home of the Islanders should they decide to get the gently caress out of Brooklyn and move to an un-built stadium. Considering how Nassau isn't big enough for the NHL any more and the other realistic option is sharing MSG for a couple years, they might have a legit shot at it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Schlesische posted:

I'd imagine the Islanders didn't want to buy out of whatever contract that has them playing in Bridgeport. Sidebar: what the gently caress is a sound tiger?

A tiger that is free of defect or flaw, is valid, and solid. Alternatively, a tiger that lives on or near the Long Island Sound, the estuary between long island and connecticut. Alternatively, a tiger made of vicious sound waves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

A tiger that is free of defect or flaw, is valid, and solid. Alternatively, a tiger that lives on or near the Long Island Sound, the estuary between long island and connecticut. Alternatively, a tiger made of vicious sound waves.

Isn't their logo a Tiger with headphones?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's a tiger thrashing out an awesome guitar riff. That is what a Sound Tiger should be.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Infidel Castro posted:

I should add, the Wolves also broadcast all their games on TV, so for a while they were the highest level hockey on Chicago TV.

Also the talent level wasn't really much different!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't their logo a Tiger with headphones?

no

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well it should be

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/869318145202376704

Non-double-posting e: https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/869575692186472448

:getin:

Kilza fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 30, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/five-questions-golden-knights-nhl-235111845.html

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

We have a full forward line!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
AEG has dropped its bid to renovate Key Arena, citing a lacking bidding process on Seattle's part. This leaves only OVG proposing to renovate Key Arena, and of course Chris Hansen's group seeking to build a new arena in SoDo. https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/871488221993095168

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 7, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Look forward to a post announcing a contest in two weeks time.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

shirts and skins posted:

AEG has dropped its bid to renovate Key Arena, citing a lacking bidding process on Seattle's part. This leaves only OVG proposing to renovate Key Arena, and of course Chris Hansen's group seeking to build a new arena in SoDo. https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/871488221993095168

As expected, the Mayor has announced that the Oak View Group headed up by Tim Liewickie has been selected to manage a $564 million renovation of Key Arena. OVG plans to gut the arena (leaving the historic roof), excavate to expand the bowl, and rebuild the structure as a modern NBA/NHL.

The proposal now goes to the Seattle City Council, and since it remodels a city-owned asset it is the odds-on favorite over a new SODO arena to attract an NHL and NBA team.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/arena/oak-view-group-selected-seattle-keyarena-renovation/446404255

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

More empty threats from the Flames to move if they don't get their shiny new stadium; this time from Brian Burke!

https://twitter.com/CTVchrisepp/status/872528026868658177

Seattle Firebirds. Make it happen.

edit: QUEBEC FLAMMES! That'll piss off Calgary even more!

Stiev Awt fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 7, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

More empty threats from the Flames to move if they don't get their shiny new stadium; this time from Brian Burke!

https://twitter.com/CTVchrisepp/status/872528026868658177

Seattle Firebirds. Make it happen.

edit: QUEBEC FLAMMES! That'll piss off Calgary even more!

And they don't even have to change the logo much either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
And since it apparently pours when it rains, the OVG Key Arena renovation apparently just landed a prospective NHL ownership group, led by Jerry Bruckheimer and Celtics minority owner David Bonderman. If the council approves this proposal I expect they'll seek an expansion team asap, although unclear where they'd play until the arena is done. That could be a while, since construction wouldn't even start til late 2018 at the earliest.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/arena/oak-view-group-selected-seattle-keyarena-renovation/446404255?C=N

• Locked thread