Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can you imagine Duterte with a twitter account? He'd rival Trump for outlandishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MrMojok posted:

Can you imagine Duterte with a twitter account? He'd rival Trump for outlandishness.

This is true, which is why it's super disappointing that the President doesn't even own a cellphone

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Random thought: Can other countries recommend better flags for other countries ala referendums? Because Thailand and Indonesia's flags look like poo poo.

Indonesia could use:

OR

And Thailand could use:

OR

OR

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Those are nice flags but they don't look very good if downscaled

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean European-style flags that are just colored stripes don't look good at any size. So you might as well have a flag that looks good at one size.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Indonesia, aka reverse poland

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MrMojok posted:

goon project: Get Duterte on twitter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello again, thread!

Very recently, The Atlantic published an article by the late Alex Tizon, a Pulitzer-prize-winning Filipino-American journalist.

My Family’s Slave: A Story of Slavery in Modern America

It talks about a woman, Eudocia Tomas Pulido, a "gift" from Tizon's maternal grandfather, who was the family's nanny and domestic helper/caretaker.

I bring this up because I'm seeing a lot of friction on social media, particularly from the woker parts of Twitter that I'm exposed to, of western liberals taking issue with Filipinos for perpetuating "modern slavery", versus Filipinos invoking cultural relativism and the need to understand Filipino culture before passing judgement.

So, if you'd like, I invite you to read the piece, and if you have any questions, maybe I and the other Filipinos in this thread can offer our perspective.

To begin, I'd like to clarify that "lola" translates to "grandmother". It's not anywhere near the equivalent of the racially-charged "mammy" for African-Americans.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hello again, thread!

Very recently, The Atlantic published an article by the late Alex Tizon, a Pulitzer-prize-winning Filipino-American journalist.

My Family’s Slave: A Story of Slavery in Modern America

It talks about a woman, Eudocia Tomas Pulido, a "gift" from Tizon's maternal grandfather, who was the family's nanny and domestic helper/caretaker.

I bring this up because I'm seeing a lot of friction on social media, particularly from the woker parts of Twitter that I'm exposed to, of western liberals taking issue with Filipinos for perpetuating "modern slavery", versus Filipinos invoking cultural relativism and the need to understand Filipino culture before passing judgement.

So, if you'd like, I invite you to read the piece, and if you have any questions, maybe I and the other Filipinos in this thread can offer our perspective.

To begin, I'd like to clarify that "lola" translates to "grandmother". It's not anywhere near the equivalent of the racially-charged "mammy" for African-Americans.

So what do I need to understand about Filipino culture before I can pass judgement on something like this? I always found it kind of off putting that Filipinos seem to always expect someone to clean up after them (for example, just look at a food court at the mall in the Philippines compared to one in the US) and, at times, seem to have no idea how to be independent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ihatepants posted:

So what do I need to understand about Filipino culture before I can pass judgement on something like this? I always found it kind of off putting that Filipinos seem to always expect someone to clean up after them (for example, just look at a food court at the mall in the Philippines compared to one in the US) and, at times, seem to have no idea how to be independent.

It's a form of cultural conditioning. The types who can afford to go to the mall, generally can afford some sort of housekeeper or have some relative or friend with one and imitate their habits of leaving poo poo lying around for someone else to pick up. Not everyone has it, but a good number do. I haven't been to the Philippines in a while so I'm not at all up to date on how Filipino culture is with regards to class, but in my experience, if the family could afford a house, they could generally also afford some sort of live-in maid. How they were treated is basically up to the people who hired them. At best, the person becomes part of the family. Yes, they're still expected to take care of certain things and they're paid for their services in addition to room and board, but it's almost no different from having a family member who really likes to clean and cook. At worst...yeah. It's a sort of relationship that was more common when servants were a more normal part of life for the upper or even upper middle class.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting hot takes from people getting all defensive that the decadent Westerners just don't understand how it works here, and it's pissing me off. Pulido was treated like a slave, plain and simple, but some people are interpreting the criticism as an attack on how their parents/relatives worked their asses off as servants for a pittance to raise their families. Talk about missing the loving point, Christ.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

When I lived in the Philippines people were shocked that I didn't have at least one servant, and in richer places it's usually at least 4 at a time (driver, guard, young maid who cleans/irons/does laundry, older maid who cooks/shops/looks after pets & children). My girlfriend at the time was European and was there as part of diplomatic mission and she was >required< to have servants, as in it was part of the residence placement.

My take on it is that woman in the article was a slave pure and simple and that the Philippines' view on class and servants is a hosed up one. Sure it's possible to have essentially benign dictatorship situations (as my girlfriend's servants did), but without any concrete rules in place to ensure equitable treatment it doesn't matter if some of the situations are good, because there's no guarantee that none of them can be bad. And I heard some bad bad stories when I was over there. There's a little twitter storm right now on searches for "my maid ran away" that has some great examples of entitlement.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

People probably need to realise that if you're using the phrase 'ran away' you did not have a healthy or moral relation with your employee.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The author misrepresented his relationship with Pulido at the time of her death (right around the time he pitched and began working on the eventual Atlantic piece), in what sounds like pretty blatant outright lying:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rticle_left_1.1

As far as the larger ramifications, I agree that the slavery on display here is much different from the history & context of chattel slavery in the US, but to claim cultural relativism as a way of deflecting any sort of inter or intra-community discussion is complete bullshit. The idea that "Western" perspectives aren't appropriate is pretty laughable given how this woman spent the majority of her life in the US, and the Atlantic article was explicitly written with a Western audience in mind. Also slavery is slavery, regardless of cultural context.

Some fairly prominent "social justice" folks on twitter have been getting attacked all day by Filipinx & Filipinx-American folks for daring to call out the more problematic aspects of Tizon's story and behavior, specifically how he profited from Pulido's labor in his own house for ~20 years, only compensated her at the near end of her life, centered himself in the Atlantic article rather than the actual victim of his family's crimes, etc (although some have been pushing back against that). https://twitter.com/ubeempress/status/864899380712689664

Of course you could also take the opposite tack like others have and claim that "the slave/master dynamic has evolved" in Filipino culture and therefore the entire story is exempt from any criticism or analysis :wtc:

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Growing up, my family had our share of servants throughout the years. We treated them a lot better than average and paid for one's vocational school as well. But I'd rather not follow in that practice once I have my own family. It feels wrong, even if there are now laws in place to protect them.

The family in the article treated Pulido as a slave, though, and I condemn it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Thing is, you can go back to the ancient world and even more recent recent to find examples of non chattel slavery that brought slaves into the household and even eventually saw them released to lead successful lives.

Is returning to Roman era slavery really something Filipinos want to point to as an amazing evolution of what they're doing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to make it absolutely clear that the story as Tizon presents it absolutely does make out Pulido as a slave. There's no two ways about it, and even bringing her to the United States is something I would consider to be human trafficking.

Yes, there is a cultural tradition in the Philippines for families to employ maids/househelp. There have been efforts to rationalize these into more properly paid working relationships, such as a Domestic Worker Law passed in 2013 that mandates that maids be given minimum wage, government benefits, and guaranteed leave and rest hours, but the actual enforcement may still leave something to be desired.

None of that excuses what was done to Pulido, and especially since in her case, the working relationship was very much worse than that.

I guess the crux of the pushback comes from people feeling insulted that this is being compared to African-American chattel slavery, but after reflecting upon it overnight, I don't really know if that's even a distinction with a difference. I could go on about how "when my family had maids, they always ate what we ate, and we never treated them different, and over time we considered them family", but ultimately the power dynamics are still greatly skewed and exploitative.

I opened this can of worms, and now I feel like I engaged in some embarrassing "heritage not hate"-type handwaving.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess the crux of the pushback comes from people feeling insulted that this is being compared to African-American chattel slavery, but after reflecting upon it overnight, I don't really know if that's even a distinction with a difference. I could go on about how "when my family had maids, they always ate what we ate, and we never treated them different, and over time we considered them family", but ultimately the power dynamics are still greatly skewed and exploitative.

I opened this can of worms, and now I feel like I engaged in some embarrassing "heritage not hate"-type handwaving.

That's literally one of the arguments that ex-Confederates (and modern slavery deniers or historical revisionists) use. That other slaveowners might have been bad, but in OUR family OUR slaves were well-treated and happy. Or the argument that people were happier and better taken care of under slavery (I saw someone make the argument today that had Pulido been "freed" that she would've been destitute and worse off than she was with the Tizon's, so therefore she was better off with them).

Basically yeah this entire Atlantic piece has revealed some really gross rhetoric that isn't necessarily inherent to any particular culture.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Putting up American slavery as some sort of special kind of evil reminds me of Republicans making a big to do about whether or not a rape was forcible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I want to make it absolutely clear that the story as Tizon presents it absolutely does make out Pulido as a slave. There's no two ways about it, and even bringing her to the United States is something I would consider to be human trafficking.

Yes, there is a cultural tradition in the Philippines for families to employ maids/househelp. There have been efforts to rationalize these into more properly paid working relationships, such as a Domestic Worker Law passed in 2013 that mandates that maids be given minimum wage, government benefits, and guaranteed leave and rest hours, but the actual enforcement may still leave something to be desired.

None of that excuses what was done to Pulido, and especially since in her case, the working relationship was very much worse than that.

Bolding mine. That's the real crux of the matter, I think. If they could have the leverage to still have food, money and shelter if they felt like conditions weren't good, that'd be one thing, but generally the maids don't really have much ability to operate independently. The difference with chattel slavery and this sort is that the power dynamics are skewed even further. It's just different degrees of the same "rife with abuse potential" relationship.

Law enforcement in everything is fairly lax in the Philippines (drug laws only the exception in all classes but the upper) so that's nothing new. But it's at least some effort.

The other thing is that Filipino pride is really pig headed and dumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Cigarettes are out: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/healt...linkId=37776611

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, at least that helps to offset all the people murdered through his drug war!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why are most Filipino naming standards still Spanish?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Three hundred years of Spanish colonialism, mixed in with most of the upper class from that time being mestizo?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Ytlaya posted:

Well, at least that helps to offset all the people murdered through his drug war!

Duterte is still horrible, but if his public smoking ban holds up, it will make up his extrajudicial killings 100-fold in the form of extended lifespans.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Please enjoy the Duterte quote of the day http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/19/17/duterte-america-will-collapse-one-day

quote:

"[Sometimes the problem with America isn't the president,] it's the State Department, which is really multi-colored. [They stab each other all the time.] That's why America will really collapse one of these days, maybe in 50 to 100 years, because of its multi-racial thing. [Everyone just keeps inserting their own values.]"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Does...does he think that the Phillipines is composed of a single race...?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not that I'm trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, or saying that the Philippine Congress is as "paralyzed" as the American Congress, but it's kind of ... ominous? that he had to do the smoking ban and Freedom of Information as EOs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smoking there's no way he would have got through with all the money PMFTC and Marlboro throws around lobbying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other big news lately is the implementation of the Anti-Distracted Driving Law, which was one of the last pieces of legislation passed by the previous Congress.

A lot of the pushback from motorists seems to come from:

1. the guideline that gadgets behind the windshield is disallowed, and that they should be mounted below the dashboard/console instead. People feel that it's actually more costly in terms of attention to have to look at something below your sightline, than something aligned with your windshield

2. the idea that it's a distraction to have Waze/Google Maps running in your phone in the first place, even if you don't touch/manipulate it

3. corrupt cops enforcing the law inconsistently/incorrect/aggressively, just to pull over more people who are otherwise abiding by the officially released guidelines

There's also the feeling that this law is perhaps too targeted at gadgets specifically, when Filipino drivers tend to have all sorts of other trinkets and decorations on their dashboards and windshields that could also provide to be line-of-sight obstacles, if not also cognitive distractions. Just this afternoon, a government official said that even these things will be included in the ban as well come this Friday, but then that carries with it even more potential for abuse by overzealous traffic cops.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Crossposting

Correction: The city has not been razed, but there are firefights and a hospital has been captured.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Local coverage: http://www.philstar.com/nation/2017/05/23/1702840/troops-maute-group-clash-marawi-city

The Maute Group isn't literally ISIS, if we value such distinctions. They're radicalized, and armed, and dangerous, but they've mostly just taken to flying the ISIS flag but probably aren't directly coordinating with or receiving support from them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PTVph/status/866966544961511424

https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/867022270962647041

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/867024506778304512

Permit me to say that I have zero confidence in the government outlets providing accurate or truthful information

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Local coverage: http://www.philstar.com/nation/2017/05/23/1702840/troops-maute-group-clash-marawi-city

The Maute Group isn't literally ISIS, if we value such distinctions. They're radicalized, and armed, and dangerous, but they've mostly just taken to flying the ISIS flag but probably aren't directly coordinating with or receiving support from them.

As far as can be said then is that they seem to be ISIS inspired and probably want to be allied, but no official/direct connection?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dameius posted:

As far as can be said then is that they seem to be ISIS inspired and probably want to be allied, but no official/direct connection?

Yes. Mindanao has been a hotbed of insurrectionism since at least the 70s (and on the whole dating back much farther than that), and there's been some connections with groups like the Jemaah Islamiya because of the proximity to Sabah, Indonesia, but no, they're not directly connected to ISIS beyond pledging fealty/allegiance to them and adopting the same flag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It appears that this is the official line from the AFP:

https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/867034063088959488

I'm trying really hard not to editorialize, but I don't know that anyone's going to buy "this was a legit op launched by the military proactively, we have it under control, the rest of it is 'diversionary tactics' by sympathizers" considering they set a college and a prison on fire and took hostages at a hospital.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I just refer you to this thread if you want updates because I don't want to keep just cross-posting:

https://www.reddit.com/live/yz9htbjsixiy

I promise we try our hardest to not be a "we did it reddit Boston bomber" kind of community.

Anyway, the latest news in the last few minutes is that the President has just declared Martial Law in Mindanao for the next 60 days. I should mention that the President is current in Moscow for a trip to meet with Putin.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Duterte will find a way to pin this on the US somehow.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, if W hadn't invaded Iraq...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh boy, where to start? Okay, let's go mild, with Trump's glowing private endorsement of Duterte's war on drugs

quote:

(Trump) I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.
(Duterte) Every generation has a mad man - in our generation is Kim Jung Un - you are dealing with a very delicate problem.
(Trump) Just take care of yourself and we will take care of North Korea.

But more fun is Duterte's speech today, in response to the attacks in Marawi City!

I've only got a news link but I'm trying to find a full transcript, with no luck.

quote:

Duterte Suggests Martial Law Across Philippines, Citing Islamist Threat
By FELIPE VILLAMORMAY 24, 2017

Security officers searching a car at a checkpoint on Tuesday in Iligan, on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao. The island is under military control because of a growing insurgent threat. Credit Ted Aljibe/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte warned on Wednesday that he may declare martial law throughout the Philippines to deal with the threat of Islamist militancy, making the remarks one day after he imposed military rule on a southern island.

Mr. Duterte’s statement came after he cut short a trip to Russia on Tuesday night and announced he was placing the entire southern island of Mindanao under military control because of the growing insurgent threat there. The declaration came after Abu Sayyaf extremists backed by members of another insurgent group burned down buildings in the predominantly Muslim city of Marawi to prevent troops from arresting a top rebel commander.

On Wednesday, he raised the prospect that Islamic State-inspired rebels could gain a foothold in the north of the country. “If I think that the ISIS has already taken foothold also in Luzon, and terrorism is not really far behind, I might declare martial law throughout the country to protect the people,” he said, referring to the country’s largest and most populous island.

“It is our constitutional duty to ensure that every family, every community, all Filipinos, are assured to live in peace and harmony,” he said, while pledging to the public that “there will be no abuses.”

The situation in the south became more tense Wednesday after the Roman Catholic Church said gunmen had taken a priest and several churchgoers hostage in the city of Marawi as fighting raged between government forces and militants.

Mr. Duterte, speaking earlier in a video message released by his communications team, sought to calm public fears, even as he compared his imposition of martial law to that of the strongman Ferdinand Marcos, who subjected the entire country to martial law in the name of fighting communism.

“It would not be any different from what President Marcos did,” Mr. Duterte said in the video. “I’d be harsh.”

His spokesman said on Tuesday night that martial law would last only 60 days, but Mr. Duterte said he was prepared to extend it to a year.

His statement came as government forces were trying to quell fighting in Marawi, a city of about 200,000 that has become a hotbed of Islamist militancy.

The National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers in Manila said it was raising “serious concerns on what appears as a sledgehammer, knee-jerk reaction” to the situation on Mindanao.

“The recent incidents in Marawi do not justify the shotgun declaration of martial law,” said Ephraim Cortez, head of the lawyers’ union. “The declaration of martial law should be an option of last resort.”

Resident fleeing from the city of Marawi on Tuesday, where insurgents have set buildings ablaze to prevent the capture of a top rebel commander. Credit Ted Aljibe/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Marcos ruled the country for two decades, much of it under martial law, leading to widespread human rights abuses and extrajudicial killings. He was forced into exile in Hawaii in 1986 after his government was toppled by the so-called People Power Revolution. He died in exile in 1989.

Sporadic violence continued on Wednesday in Marawi, as insurgents burned down the Catholic church where the hostages were abducted and set fire to at least two other buildings. They also hoisted a black Islamic State flag in the area.

Bishop Edwin de la Peña said the gunmen were holding at least six people, including the priest. He said a man who identified himself as one of the gunmen called him and demanded that government troops stop their search for the rebel leader.

“The man on the phone identified himself as one of the leaders of the armed group who confirmed holding hostage” the priest and others, Bishop de la Peña said. He added that the man warned they would harm the hostages if the troops and the police did not pull back.

But as Mr. Duterte was warning about the dangers of Islamist militancy, his own military was playing down the threat from the Islamic State.

Col. Edgard Arevalo, a military spokesman, said the situation in Marawi had “stabilized” with security forces in full control. He said the armed men were “not ISIS” but members of a local terrorist group.

“The news being circulated by these terrorists and their sympathizers are spurious and are meant to spread lies and disinformation,” he said. “It is propaganda to attract foreign terrorists’ support and recognition.”

The military said earlier that it launched the operation against the rebels with the police on Tuesday night in hopes of arresting Isnilon Hapilon, a leader of the Abu Sayyaf group, who was reportedly in the area and had been joined by an additional 100 militants belonging to a group called Maute.

Both groups have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State and vowed to carry out attacks across the Philippines, Asia’s center of Catholicism.

The Maute group was responsible for bombing a night market in Davao City in September, killing 15 people, and trying to bomb the United States Embassy in Manila last year.

Abu Sayyaf has long targeted both locals and foreigners in the region. The group beheaded a German hostage this year and killed two Canadians in 2016.

Thirty-seven members of Maute, including a Malaysian and three Indonesians, were killed last month in clashes, also in the south.

Mr. Hapilon, a senior Abu Sayyaf leader, is considered one of the most radical members of the group. He pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in videos circulated online last year.

And keep in mind that last year, Duterte laughed these guys off:

quote:

The Maute Group has threatened to burn Marawi City if the Armed Forces of the Philippines would not stop its offensive against the bandits, President Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday.

In a speech in Malacañang, Duterte said the Maute Group should neither threaten him nor impose conditions.
"These Maute… It was carried by a Moro ambassador, former, [he said, ‘They'll stop as long as you stop the military operations’,]" Duterte said.
Duterte did not took the message well.
"[I said], ‘No. You do not put any condition.’ [I am the government. Why should I stop]? And then they threatened to go down from the mountains to burn Marawi," Duterte said.
"Go ahead, be my guest. We will wait for you there. [No problem. Why would you burn Marawi?] Those are things that [I say], no [to]. I am the government. Do not place conditions on my shoulder," he added.
The Maute Group, which claimed allegiance to the extremist ISIS, in late November captured several areas in Butig, Lanao Del Sur, including an old municipal hall.
The AFP was able to retake the town's old municipal building on November 30.

And what's really pissing me off is the apologists going "it sucks but who else can we trust to take a hard stance against these guys," as well as my pro-Duterte cheerleader friends who are linking to these announcements, with the remark, "Look what you did, Maute group."

NO. DUTERTE DID THIS YOU IDIOTS.

Lastly, gently caress this poo poo