Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jummy posted:

I would also assume that is correct, but I don't know if you could just point to it being the steroid era. My assumption would also be that those numbers are still pretty consistent at this point even with the tighter testing and better methods of figuring out who's doing what. Mostly because of medical advances, better training/recovery techniques, and just knowing what it takes to build and maintain a body used for professional sports.

It actually doesn't appear that the older power hitter trend has kept up: from 1945 to present, the average age of the top 30 guys in ISO was 27. During the height of the steroid era, the average age was almost 30. It has since returned to 27 (I looked at the last 3 full seasons).

Part of that has to do with the great crop of young power hitters in the league right now but aside from David Ortiz/Nelson Cruz/Jose Bautista the "old guy with ISO north of .250" thing has pretty much disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Citizen Tayne posted:

Babe Ruth used performance-enhancing hot dogs and he's in the Hall.

he used performance-enhancing segregation

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

If the Astros win tonight they'll have the same record the Cubs had at this point last season

When does Astros chat begin, when do the Astros posters come out of the woodwork instead of the same four or five of us :colbert:

I have an Altuve jersey that I found in the breakroom, does that count

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Pretty sure I would never have finished my dissertation without performance-enhancing drugs, fortunately I'm at zero risk of being considered for any Hall of Fame-type equivalent.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If PEDs help you so much, how come Bartolo only has one dinger?

Also - please remember that Bud Selig is going into the HOF this Summer. Elected as the earliest opportunity, less than two years after retiring.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

bewbies posted:

It actually doesn't appear that the older power hitter trend has kept up: from 1945 to present, the average age of the top 30 guys in ISO was 27. During the height of the steroid era, the average age was almost 30. It has since returned to 27 (I looked at the last 3 full seasons).

Part of that has to do with the great crop of young power hitters in the league right now but aside from David Ortiz/Nelson Cruz/Jose Bautista the "old guy with ISO north of .250" thing has pretty much disappeared.

Wow, that's pretty interesting and something I'm going to have to take a look at. Thanks bewbies!

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Bud Selig is human garbage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins are dead

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the NL, now I have to hate you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Bud Selig is human garbage.

Selig is easily in the upper tier of commissioners, possibly top two. (Not that it's a terribly high bar to meet, given most of the clowns who held that office.) But really, outside of the failed contraction scheme, the shell game to kill the Expos, the All-Star Game / home field advantage thing and the A-Rod witch hunt, he did a lot of good for the game.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

just play baseball on spreadsheets already its what the fans want

OOTP is pretty great yeah

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Timby posted:

Selig is easily in the upper tier of commissioners, possibly top two. (Not that it's a terribly high bar to meet, given most of the clowns who held that office.) But really, outside of the failed contraction scheme, the shell game to kill the Expos, the All-Star Game / home field advantage thing and the A-Rod witch hunt, he did a lot of good for the game.

Did a lot of good for the game as in allow people to roid up for 15 years and then act like he had no idea, black ball Bonds from the league, and go on a steroid witch hunt? Bud Selig is a garbage human.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

He forced the Astros to play with the roof open in the WS and forced them to play a "home" game in Milwaukee against the Cubs during Hurricane Ike, gently caress him :colbert:

(they got no-hit in said game in front of a huge crowd of Cubs fans)

Inspector_666 posted:

Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the NL, now I have to hate you.

I never wanted them to leave the NL :(

Now I have to watch games that start at like 9 PM in my time zone

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Selig and the owners were absolutely complicit in the steroid era. To the extent that I'm mad at anyone for that it's them.

Well I'm also mad every single Royals player for not juicing enough, how the gently caress do you go through the steroid era and still have Steve loving Balboni's 36 as your franchise single season home run mark?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Intruder posted:

He forced the Astros to play with the roof open in the WS and forced them to play a "home" game in Milwaukee against the Cubs during Hurricane Ike, gently caress him :colbert:

Don't forget it was close to two no-hitters in a row with Lilly taking one into the seventh.

That said, it's still weird not having the Astros in the NL.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Intruder posted:

Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of speculation that balls are juiced this year to increase offense. Thoughts?

Ben Lindbergh has apparently seen MLB data that says it's not the ball: https://theringer.com/2017-mlb-home-run-rate-is-the-ball-juiced-report-results-6e1dd0233203

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intruder posted:

I never wanted them to leave the NL :(

Now I have to watch games that start at like 9 PM in my time zone

When the Cubs play at Miller Park they are always the home team, even if the Brewers are playing.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spoeank posted:

The San Francisco Giants have won five straight Major League Baseball games, which is 29% of their season-long wins :toot:

(they're losing today because Kershaw has to pitch against the Giants, by law)

LA keeps moving his starts so that he faces the Giants. Which is easy to do when you're manipulating the 10-Day DL to run a 6/7-man rotation, haha.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of the Astros playing with the roof open, I really think they should have told whoever maintains it to create a problem that would prevent the mechanism for opening it from working and then pretend they couldn't figure out what was wrong until after the series ended

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jummy posted:

My issue is that it's just impossible to quantify how they may help so there's no point in speculating.

Melky Cabrera went from batting .255 to .345.:colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Did a lot of good for the game as in allow people to roid up for 15 years and then act like he had no idea, black ball Bonds from the league, and go on a steroid witch hunt? Bud Selig is a garbage human.

Steroids were an issue long before Selig was named even interim commissioner and loving everyone, with the exception of, like, Frank Thomas, turned a blind eye to it -- and drug testing had to be collectively bargained, it's not like he could have unilaterally done something. But he managed to get the union to agree to drug testing for the first time ever (edit: and this was with Donald Fehr leading the union, so it wasn't the toothless MLBPA that we have today), presided over more than two decades of uninterrupted labor peace (something that the NFL, NBA and NHL can't say), oversaw unprecedented revenue growth and international popularity and introduced a lot of new and cool things, like the three divisions, the wild cards, the WBC and interleague play. He definitely hosed up (as I mentioned, the contraction scheme, the Expos / Loria / Henry thing, A-Rod, ASG determining home field, letting the Wilpons keep the Mets despite being even more insolvent than McCourt was with the Dodgers) but you'd have to be blind to not think his tenure was a net positive for the sport.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 17, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Which is easy to do when you're manipulating the 10-Day DL to run a 6/7-man rotation, haha.

Honestly the Dodgers completely and flagrantly abusing the 10-Day DL while smiling coyly over at Manfred is pretty great. If you can do it why not?

It does mean that pretty much every pitcher on their staff not named Kershaw is going to have trouble qualifying though, since it's hard to throw 162 IP in a seven man rotation.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nvm, was asked to drop, dropping

...how bout them 'Stros!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

bewbies posted:

I don't really have any strong feelings either way on the steroid era or bonds in particular but it is really weird how so much of SASMLB seems to think that steroids do not enhance performance in baseball.

I think the problem is the public perception is that steroids alone turn a joe regular minor league player into Mark McGuire, and its simply not true. He might hit an extra 5 or 10 home runs that season thanks to the roids, maybe even 20. But roids alone didnt turn him into a home run beast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Honestly the Dodgers completely and flagrantly abusing the 10-Day DL while smiling coyly over at Manfred is pretty great. If you can do it why not?

Isn't the Dodgers ownership group believed to be part of Manfred's inner circle, along with DeWitt, the Braves, the Wilpons, Angelos and the Rickettses?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

One of the most memorable moments in the history of the sport involved stealing signs, better vacate the Giants victory
but really, vacate the Giants 1951 pennant

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know if anyone cares (you don't) but bewbies and I made an avatar bet this spring and the progress so far is.... not what you'd expect!

The bet is Danny Duffy vs Julio Urias FIP this year. Royals posters made fun of bewbies for agreeing to this b/c Duffy's ERA has consistently outperformed his FIP and Urias is a high strikeout guy who we should expect to do well by FIP. So how's that going thus far?

Danny Duffy - 3.38 ERA - 3.34 FIP
Julio Urias - 3.43 ERA - 4.31 FIP (and a 4.71 K/9 lol)

Baseball!

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

This article made me feel slightly better about the Mariner's problems.... slightly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

3 of the last 4 teams that had the same record or better after 40 games have gone on to win the World Series:
  • 1984 Tigers
  • 1998 Yankees
  • 2001 Mariners
  • 2016 Cubs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Let us forever be the underdogs.

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic that as of this point in the season, this is the best Astros team I've ever seen. There is no real glaring weakness.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kirios posted:

Let us forever be the underdogs.

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic that as of this point in the season, this is the best Astros team I've ever seen. There is no real glaring weakness.

Mike Fiers and Joe Musgrove a little. Is Keuchel's return to form sustainable?

They are clearly the class of MLB right now though, them or the Nats (whose bullpen is a huge issue right now)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

3 of the last 4 teams that had the same record or better after 40 games have gone on to win the World Series:
  • 1984 Tigers
  • 1998 Yankees
  • 2001 Mariners
  • 2016 Cubs

Oh man, right in my Seatteite heart.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Joe Musgrove is a fine #4, and he's getting better...still very young too.

Sure, Mike Fiers is horrible, but which team has an actual great #5? If they had a great #5, they'd be a #2 or 3.

Dallas isn't going to have a sub 2 ERA for the season, of course, but with the way he's pitching? A ~2.50 ERA and a potential second Cy Young is certainly not out of the realm of expectations. This is 100% a return to form of the 2015 season.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 17, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins are dead

They're just painful to watch now. Tom Koehler and Adam Conley have been sent to the DL, Junichi Tazawa is on the DL, Wei-Yin Chen has elbow ghosts or something, and José Ureña is their ace somehow. It's at the point now where I'm actually looking forward to seeing Jeff Locke for reasons other than his handsomeness. Jeff loving Locke. Please kill me.

When I started liking two teams at the same time, I was wholly unprepared for them to both stress me out at the same time.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kwilty posted:

This article made me feel slightly better about the Mariner's problems.... slightly.

Fear not! Steve Cishek is back!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

I think the problem is the public perception is that steroids alone turn a joe regular minor league player into Mark McGuire, and its simply not true. He might hit an extra 5 or 10 home runs that season thanks to the roids, maybe even 20. But roids alone didnt turn him into a home run beast.

I think I'd characterize it as it let a generation of giant sluggers stay healthy like no previous generation had, so these giant strong guys who are normally pretty injury prone and who tend to flame out in their mid 30s got 5 or 6 extra prime years. In Bonds/McGwires cases they also developed a lot as hitters as they got older, but without the PEDs helping to keep them healthy their bodies might not have kept up with the killer eye. I realize this is a fairly subtle distinction and I would get chased off the stage on any Sports Shouting show.

In any case every time this conversation comes up I think about how much pressure there would've been on everyone in the game to dope...I get pissy when a guy buys a new hockey stick and his shot looks good, or when I lose a sports video game to someone who had a better team than me. I can't imagine what it would've been like to know that liberal PED usage might be the difference between AAA and a regular major league spot, or a 1 year contract vs 4 years, or league minimum salary vs millions. That's probably the thing about the PED witch hunt that bothers me the most - most of us in that spot would've done the same thing.

bawfuls posted:

I don't know if anyone cares (you don't) but bewbies and I made an avatar bet this spring and the progress so far is.... not what you'd expect!

The bet is Danny Duffy vs Julio Urias FIP this year. Royals posters made fun of bewbies for agreeing to this b/c Duffy's ERA has consistently outperformed his FIP and Urias is a high strikeout guy who we should expect to do well by FIP. So how's that going thus far?

Danny Duffy - 3.38 ERA - 3.34 FIP
Julio Urias - 3.43 ERA - 4.31 FIP (and a 4.71 K/9 lol)

Baseball!

I totally forgot about this but yeah Danny Duffy is continuing his Hall of Fame trajectory to no one's surprise.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 17, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

Fear not! Steve Cishek is back!

Eh, 4.5 ERA is clearly not ideal for a reliever, but it could be a sign of bad luck. He could end up being pretty g...

oh...

That's his WHIP.

:stare:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Eh, 4.5 ERA is clearly not ideal for a reliever, but it could be a sign of bad luck. He could end up being pretty g...

oh...

That's his WHIP.

:stare:

he's pitched for 2/3 of an inning and allowed three runners (all of whom scored, which is why his ERA is what it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Intruder posted:

Beltran got off to a hot start but has cooled significantly lately and actually has a negative WAR

Thanks a lot jerk

But seriously, this The Ringer article goes into how this is one of the worst seasons for players over 35 ever and is the worst in wRC+ since 1965

https://theringer.com/mlb-veteran-player-statistical-decline-c431a2690c06

He sucked for us after we got him from NYY and I suspect that he is nearly done.

• Locked thread