Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

this game is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

the stuff in chests is randomized i'm pretty sure and usually garbage

Later in the game you can get Somas and stuff so sometimes there's something good in there, but locked chests really aren't worth going out of your way for if it's gonna cost extra days where you could instead hang out with your anime friends.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

brand engager posted:

this game is so good

48 hours!?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Safety is fine if you want to go quick and avoid spoilers

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

brand engager posted:

this game is so good

How did you beat it so goddamn quick

EDIT: Oh maybe it's NG+

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
New game+ doesn't reset the clock.

My newgame + playthrough is now at 168 hours

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i really like the palace 6 music

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's the best palace music imo, though the final dungeon's music is also super good

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

How did you beat it so goddamn quick

EDIT: Oh maybe it's NG+

my clock is hosed up, the real time is at least double what it says there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Harrow posted:

There's one social link that requires each of the stats to be maxed, and a few others have requirements to start them or reach certain points. I'll spoiler out the social links. Rank 5 is maximum for a social stat.
  • Knowledge: Rank 3 required to start Priestess; rank 5 required to max Star.
  • Kindness: Rank 2 required to start Lovers; rank 4 required to start Hermit; rank 5 required to max Heirophant.
  • Guts: Rank 2 required to really start Death; rank 3 required to start Temperance; rank 4 required to start Hanged Man; rank 5 required to max Hanged Man.
  • Charm: Rank 3 required to start Star; rank 5 required to max Priestess.
  • Proficiency: Rank 4 required to max Emperor; rank 5 required to start Empress.
I think that's all of them.

As for ways to increase them, nothing is really missable. Check books out of the library at school and read them (and make sure you always have a book you haven't read because sometimes you get free time to read on the train to school). Other than that, some repeatable things you can do to increase stats are:
  • Knowledge: Studying at the Shibuya diner when it's raining gives you good Knowledge. You'll also get little trickles of Knowledge here and there for answering in-class questions correctly.
  • Kindness: Buy plant nutrients at the flower shop in Shibuya (and, later, Shinjuku) and feed the plant in your room whenever it needs nutrients. Hanging out with the Tower confidant also increases Kindness.
  • Guts: Big Bang Burger Challenge always gives a bunch of Guts, even if you fail. You'll also get a small amount for hanging out with the Death confidant.
  • Charm: Taking a bath at the bathhouse near Leblanc gives a bunch of Charm. You can also get Charm for hanging out with the Devil and Sun confidants.
  • Proficiency: The best repeatable way to increase Proficiency is crafting infiltration tools. You also get some for hanging out with the Hanged Man confidant.

You can always buy back any Persona you've had from the Compendium in the Velvet Room.

This is exactly what I needed thank you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is exactly what I needed thank you

No prob

There's one thing I left off: you need 4 Charm to max Death, but it's worth noting her most useful bonuses are before the stat lock so it's worth leveling her early anyway

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beat Palace 1 last night. This is the first Persona that I've played that makes hard mode fun and interesting. The new combat mechanics like baton pass and being able to negotiate after knocking​ enemies down are awesome. And thank god for real, not randomly generated dungeons. I'm enjoying it. I wasn't impressed with the first boss but all of the minibosses and normal encounters have been great.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I've never played a persona before, I just started the 3rd palace and I can't stop playing

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Beat Palace 1 last night. This is the first Persona that I've played that makes hard mode fun and interesting. The new combat mechanics like baton pass and being able to negotiate after knocking​ enemies down are awesome. And thank god for real, not randomly generated dungeons. I'm enjoying it. I wasn't impressed with the first boss but all of the minibosses and normal encounters have been great.

I didn't realize Merciless mode modifies both xp and gold (0.4x) until I finished up Palace 3 a full 6 or 7 levels below the character I just recruited, essnentially forcing a low level run. Plus every crit/tech/weakness does 3x damage to both enemies and characters alike, meaning if you're ever ambushed you're basically dead. Any baby spell weakness will 1hko my characters. I might have to swap to Hard just to make some money going into the later s.links/compendium completion.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Is there a list of everything that merciless changes? I heard that it only changed exp and yen gain from hard mode but that 3x from weaknesses change sounds interesting.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Safety - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0 - can't switch difficulty if this selected any time
Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

From le reddthumb. Maybe the weakness hits aren't tripled

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Makoto is A2 from Nier

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I didn't realize Merciless mode modifies both xp and gold (0.4x) until I finished up Palace 3 a full 6 or 7 levels below the character I just recruited, essnentially forcing a low level run. Plus every crit/tech/weakness does 3x damage to both enemies and characters alike, meaning if you're ever ambushed you're basically dead. Any baby spell weakness will 1hko my characters. I might have to swap to Hard just to make some money going into the later s.links/compendium completion.

a lot of people had trouble with the palace 2 boss on normal, howd you handle it on merciless

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Lowering experience gained seems like it would do more to increase tediousness rather than challenge? Not that you'd have to make up 100% of the difference in grinding.

Though I also don't know yet first hand how much NG+ gives you a leg up

hubris.height posted:

a lot of people had trouble with the palace 2 boss on normal, howd you handle it on merciless

That was the only point in the game I really felt gated by level/ability.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2017

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Things are a bit trivial with Yoshitsune from my first play thru summoned. You keep the best perks from your max confidant links so I was able to summon him day 1, lol. Things definitely got harder in the third palace so I think it'll still end up being a nice challenge.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i thought you had started ng from scratch, my mistake

merciless is probably a ng+ only proposition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Merciless is doable on NG but I think most people grind a bit to overcome that EXP/money detriment, which kinda defeats the purpose. If you grind enough to stay at the same level you'd be normally, Merciless is easier than Hard, because you're more likely to hit enemy weaknesses than they are to hit yours.

I think I'd like Merciless a lot if bosses could be crit and/or had weaknesses. The idea of doing everything like 7-10 levels lower than normal but getting a big damage boost from technicals, crits, and weakness hits sounds kinda fun

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Merciless mode should just replace the whole game with SMT3: Nocturne Featuring Dante From Devil May Cry

But it's just an emulated PS2 game, not uprezzed or ported in any way. That's the Merciless part.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I really want a hd remaster of Nocturne.
Don't change anything. Just upscale it and add trophies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still holding out hope for a SMT1-4 collection announcement for the 30th anniversary.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sefal posted:

the ps3 version is pretty good, and if you squint you barely notice its not hd

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I do not like that the main character dying is an auto game over.

I understand it, but I do not like it :mad:

In happier news, I am addicted to using all-out attacks to get the awesome stylish victory graphics

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

hubris.height posted:

the ps3 version is pretty good, and if you squint you barely notice its not hd

Ooh I forgot it was on PSN.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Merciless mode should just replace the whole game with SMT3: Nocturne Featuring Dante From Devil May Cry

But it's just an emulated PS2 game, not uprezzed or ported in any way. That's the Merciless part.

oh word?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dromal phrenia posted:

I do not like that the main character dying is an auto game over.

I understand it, but I do not like it :mad:

In happier news, I am addicted to using all-out attacks to get the awesome stylish victory graphics

like a lot of persona mechanics it made more sense in P3 but it's kinda nonsense now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sefal posted:

Switch please so I can run around with it

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i require all future jrpgs to come to switch

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Ryuji is such a good boy

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
gonna get in some more p5 this weekend. hoping to beat palace 3 tomorrow

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the anubis guys in the 4th palace kick my rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tumor looking batty posted:

the anubis guys in the 4th palace kick my rear end

If you have a way to inflict Forget they're pretty susceptible to it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Any kind of status effect helps

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ty...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
other than that they are one of my more feared encounters even on Ng+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Burning is really the only lovely effect, but at least its exclusively coupled with a dmg spell

• Locked thread