Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BobMorane posted:

... who is also not a delusional crook* nor an homophobic traditionalist catholic. We dodged two bullets last election...

*that we know of !

I would give him some time to mature to his new role. Basically, Macron is what the most cynical posters in this thread predicted, a way to put a "human face" on right-wing policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

He sounds loving insane.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gq posted:

For Macron, the main obstacles in French society are the corporations, intermediary bodies and the political system, whose roles and functions all need to be re-investigated.

Where is he going with this

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

unpacked robinhood posted:

The Workers' Councils will be realized through generalized self-management. Down with the bureaucrats!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The abolition of everything that exists to counterbalance the power of money.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

He is playing 4D échecs in order to weaken France enough to make a single Euro-state an inevitability, silly.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I would give him some time to mature to his new role. Basically, Macron is what the most cynical posters in this thread predicted, a way to put a "human face" on right-wing policies.

"Right wing policies" has a broader meaning than "lovely liberalism" to me. I don't intend to defend that dude, but he is no Fillon, that's all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

*in Alex Jones combined with Macron voice*

"THE ANSWER TO 1793 IS 1717"

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Malaver posted:

Europol drinking game: take a shot every time someone mentions decapitation.

take a shot every time someone makes a ww2 joke about Germany

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

take a shot every time someone makes a ww2 joke about Germany
Rip the Europeans who did this at the time :(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

jBrereton posted:

lmao

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Holy poo poo

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

jBrereton posted:

:stonklol:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Here is Macron's cabinet:

The economy and budget ministers are right-wingers. The labour minister is a former executive at Danone, Dassault and Orange (among others). Can you smell the coming austerity?

Bonus fun fact: there's one black woman. Minister of sports.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What does a Minister of Sports do? Ensure football is on TV on time?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a position in several countries. They are a sort of minister of culture, but specifically for stuff pertaining to athletics. It's hard to pinpoint the responsibilities of that position off the top of my head, but I'd say they do stuff like represent the country on international athletic fora, promote and organise state-sponsored athletics competitions, review and propose legislation that pertains to sports, and so on.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

On this International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, Prime Minister Édouard Philippe named a massive homophobe in charge of the Budget

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lightning Lord posted:

The Minister of Sports has a wide array of responsibilities, from importing talent from the rest of the world (primarily French West Africa) to promoting major sports events like the Tour de France. It might not be an as obviously important position some of the others, but it is vital if France is to remain competitive in this arena, and thus a matter of national pride.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/achrisafis/status/864411836594216960

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Minister of Sports has a wide array of responsibilities, from importing talent from the rest of the world (primarily French West Africa) to promoting major sports events like the Tour de France. It might not be an as obviously important position some of the others, but it is vital if France is to remain competitive in this arena, and thus a matter of national pride.

Interesting that this is a position in the government, it seems like something that would be totally left to private industry in America.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Actually because FIFA likes to force politics away from football(when it suits them ofc), most sports ministries/secretaries in Europe have a hands free approach to the goings of football, usually leaving the national federations and club associations deal with that nonsense. Government and government representatives only step in if things get really out of hand(usually on issues pertaining to violence). This of course is not at all responsible to the rampant corruption and shady business that goes on in European football.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We're now at T-minus 20 years to Frexit.

Lightning Lord posted:

Interesting that this is a position in the government, it seems like something that would be totally left to private industry in America.
America doesn't need the position, its sheer size and wealth ensures its competitiveness on the international stage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Lord posted:

In the US, most of the governmental duties of the French Minister of Sports is instead done through the Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Commerce, and state-level athletics/sports commissions.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

Here is Macron's cabinet:

Sylvie Goulard was one of the few french votes in favor of CETA iirc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/864859094242529280

Pierre Gattaz is loving this poo poo, unsurprisingly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A good news for the people who have wealth and power, they are going to get even more wealth and power.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

And that's Gerard Collomb, really buttmad after the senate cut his allowance because he never showed up.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's a good thing Macron wrapped himself in the EU flag and played the Ode to Joy during his inauguration. When he's finished loving the working class for the next 5 years it will make a great soundtrack for the attack ads Le Pen will run.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I don't think Le Pen or any Le Pen-ite is ever going to win the presidency. What's going to happen is that she'll be a contender and pull the rhetoric on issues like immigration and race to the right, but the French will never become majority fascist or not turn out in sufficient numbers to keep her out. Elections like this one will become the new normal for a while, probably until Le Pen retires/is couped, with things continually getting worse and worse and worse.

If there's one thing you can bet on in Western European politics it's the general hatred for and fear of actual meaningful change.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

R. Mute posted:

I don't think Le Pen or any Le Pen-ite is ever going to win the presidency. What's going to happen is that she'll be a contender and pull the rhetoric on issues like immigration and race to the right, but the French will never become majority fascist or not turn out in sufficient numbers to keep her out. Elections like this one will become the new normal for a while, probably until Le Pen retires/is couped, with things continually getting worse and worse and worse.

If there's one thing you can bet on in Western European politics it's the general hatred for and fear of actual meaningful change.

The "do this or LePen 2022" argument is a very lazy argument used by people who don't want to actually argue their policy proposals but rather go "if you don't support us Nazis will take power". In my opinion its a terrible argument, because Trump was elected in spite or even because of Obamacare and the Obama stimulus.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

The "do this or LePen 2022" argument is a very lazy argument used by people who don't want to actually argue their policy proposals but rather go "if you don't support us Nazis will take power". In my opinion its a terrible argument, because Trump was elected in spite or even because of Obamacare and the Obama stimulus.

Man, where were you 2 weeks ago when Macron was all "vote for me or else Le Pen 2017"?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

"if you don't support us Nazis will take power". In my opinion its a terrible argument
Not surprising that argument wouldn't work on you.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Man, where were you 2 weeks ago when Macron was all "vote for me or else Le Pen 2017"?

Which was true. It's not unrealistic that the French presidency in 2022 will again be decided in the first round, with the winner getting a lay-up against LePen in the second round, even if Macron is about as popular as Hollande.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Bonus fun fact: there's one black woman. Minister of sports.
She is actually an olympic gold medal in fencing, and it's kinda the continuation of the old habit of making gold medal minister of sport. She is also pretty notable in the Nonprofit organization scene.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I have no doubt she's perfectly qualified for the position. It's more that for an unprecedented shake up of French politics, it's awfully white.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

I have no doubt she's perfectly qualified for the position. It's more that for an unprecedented shake up of French politics, it's awfully white.
And male and rightwing. Wait actually 50% of woman, no just rightwing.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Not going to lie, I'm actually genuinely surprised that they didn't get Rama Yade for a token right wing minority woman.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

And male and rightwing. Wait actually 50% of woman, no just rightwing.

It is mostly men who got the more important positions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Except for the ridiculous pose, the whole photo is very Dutch.

Nah, doesn't feature a copious amount of hair gel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
thats a hell of a gov