Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OTOH I am now conflicted about Lavar Ball

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/864882956237721603

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow weird that Lavar comes across as a jackass in that latest bit of news. So weird.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

We are like, a few flaps of a butterfly's wings away from this year's conference finals being like, a KD-lead Thunder vs. the Rockets.

Cool Buff Man posted:

[metapod voice] KD never led the Thunder.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Chairchucker posted:

Wow weird that Lavar comes across as a jackass in that latest bit of news. So weird.

Wait until the Jackass shoe hits the trade shows!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

https://twitter.com/theDYNAMICS/status/864894711328378880

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh Goddamn it Lavar.

I was rooting for your crazy rear end. NBA is more fun with more personalities

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lol, of all the dumb poo poo he's said this is the dumbest. You stupid motherfucker.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

:stare:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Earlier in this post-season, I think in a game 2, somebody, (maybe Marv or Kenny Albert?) happily cited the team's "impressive" Ortng a single game, the first game of the series and I am still thinking about it trying to come up with a less useful way to use advanced stats.

Thank you for telling me their [(final score) x (number of possessions in the game/number of possessions that are usually in a game)] as if this is useful in any way whatsoever. It provides less information than just telling the final score of the game.

smdhing forever about this

it was during the rockets/spurs game 2 after the rockets had blown the spurs out during game 1

it was hilariously stupid to say, and the fact that the rockets lost the series makes it even better

Bashez posted:

This is a perfect example on how Zaza's is obviously intentional. The most far forward thing on Bertans is his hand. His shoulder is more or less over his foot. He protects Livingston by not making his foot the furthest out part of his body. There's still a chance Livingston comes down on his foot but hey, that's basketball.

It's the complete opposite of what Zaza did, which was intentionally place his feet in such a way that Kawhi has no space to land safely. Bertans has his feet to the side of where Livingston took off. Zaza has his way behind where Kawhi took off.

at this point, i think its better to just leave the issue alone. people have already drawn their conclusions so there's no point in arguing, but before we do, i, of course, have one last thing to say.

i just like the fact that everyone absolutely knows bruce bowen was a dirty player. watching his plays is the very definition of dirty play, right? so what does it look like when bruce bowen undercuts a shooter? why, he lines up his body and then turns his head during the undercut. if he's not looking at the foot, how can we know his intent? how can we know bruce bowen actually is a dirty player? he never looked down at the foot, pointed at it, did the "thumb across the throat" gesture, and then laughed maniacally about it! all he did was stick his foot out there while looking away. therefore both bruce and zaza are obviously innocent because basketball players have no concept of "where a player is in space" and didn't look at the foot while shouting out "i'm a dirty player" in order to clear up intent. …or you can just look at a player's history and the fact that it was zaza is as damning as it would be if it was bruce.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 17, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Maybe its time to stop putting Lavar in front of a Microphone

e: I do wonder if the NBA will step in at some point because he probably may actually cause harm to the league.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe its time to stop putting Lavar in front of a Microphone

e: I do wonder if the NBA will step in at some point because he probably may actually cause harm to the league.

Yeah the NBA will invoke the little known rule, the one that says if your kid plays in the NBA you're legally prohibited from speaking in public

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ammanas posted:

The Warriors won't be an unstoppable juggernaut in like 3 years, there's no way they don't fall into cap hell in no time.

They are going to lose Iggy and Livingston this summer, and Durant and Curry are both going to get designated player super max deals. Next season and the season after they are basically going to be KD, Curry, Draymond, Klay filled out with one taxypayer-MLE guy (about $5m), draft picks and minsal vets. Their depth is going to be really bad unless they hit on what few draft picks they have (no picks at all in 2017, no second rounder in 2018), but maybe it won't matter. Then in summer 2019 Klay will be a free agent and I don't see how they could possibly max him also, so something will give eventually.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 17, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I can understand why someone might root for Lavar in the abstract "fighting against merch deals that make more money off the athlete than the athlete sees" sense, but other than that it's been plainly obvious that he's a loving idiot and not really that entertaining either

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Yeah the NBA will invoke the little known rule, the one that says if your kid plays in the NBA you're legally prohibited from speaking in public

They can ban him from anything resembling an official league event, including games.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

They can ban him from anything resembling an official league event, including games.

They're not going to do this, Ball is great for the NBA. His clickthrough rate is amazing

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

They're not going to do this, Ball is great for the NBA. His clickthrough rate is amazing

"I never disrespect women, but I tell you what; if you act like that? Guess what. Something coming to you"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

tanglewood1420 posted:

They are going to lose Iggy and Livingston this summer, and Durant and Curry are both going to get designated player super max deals. Next season and the season after they are basically going to be KD, Curry, Draymond, Klay filled out with one taxypayer-MLE guy (about $5m), draft picks and minsal vets. Their depth is going to be really bad unless they hit on what few draft picks they have (no picks at all in 2017, no second rounder in 2018), but maybe it won't matter. Then in summer 2019 Klay will be a free agent and I don't see how they could possibly max him also, so something will give eventually.

I don't think KD qualifies for the vet DPE with GSW.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
what's to stop the warriors from just going over the cap?

doesn't silicon valley already have a hard on for pissing away millions on feel-good investments?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

It's an app right? Or is there a website?

Yep, it's an app. There's a little promo video at http://www.nba.com/inplay

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

I don't think KD qualifies for the vet DPE with GSW.

When he hits 10 years in the league he can get the same 35% of the cap figure. The only thing the DPE does is let a 7 year vet get a contract that is otherwise reserved for a 10 year vet. He will be at that point next year.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

When he hits 10 years in the league he can get the same 35% of the cap figure. The only thing the DPE does is let a 7 year vet get a contract that is otherwise reserved for a 10 year vet. He will be at that point next year.

Right but anyone can offer him that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RaySmuckles posted:

what's to stop the warriors from just going over the cap?

doesn't silicon valley already have a hard on for pissing away millions on feel-good investments?

They can, and they will be able to float around the Tax for a few years, but the repeater tax gets ugly fast, and even Miami cut a still-useful Mike Miller after their 2nd Championship to lessen the load. Even if you are making ridiculous money, at some point most rich people don't like losing tens of millions of dollars a year on vanity projects.

Either way, after next year their ability to get Free Agents is going to crater, and they will be bringing in a revolving door of ring chasers and mediocre talent. The roster turnover alone will make domination more difficult.

I would guess around 2019/2020 they'll start having some real problems, if not before.

leftist heap posted:

Right but anyone can offer him that.

Right, but its still going to be a huge cap hit. It's another 15 million+ JUST for Durant. Unless you think he's going to bolt.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ian Clark/Patrick McCaw are immense drops from Livingston.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
McCaw will be better than Livingston in like a year or two though.

They will push Durant to take the small raise instead of the the super max so they can resign iguodala. Though if Iggy's knees are really busted who knows what will happen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I feel bad for Jaylen Brown because there's not really anything that can prepare you to guard Playoffs Lebron 1-on-1 and he's gonna get abused all night long

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
LaVar Ball does not respect females

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel bad for Jaylen Brown because there's not really anything that can prepare you to guard Playoffs Lebron 1-on-1 and he's gonna get abused all night long

The best defense I've ever seen against playoff Lebron came from Boris Diaw so I don't know what to expect

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

LaVar Ball does not respect females

He ain't a psychic, he don't know what's coming.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Spite posted:

They will push Durant to take the small raise instead of the the super max so they can resign iguodala. Though if Iggy's knees are really busted who knows what will happen.

You think so? Livingston has one of the most reliable 2pt jump shots in the NBA

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

In two years McCaw will be a RFA and if he's as good as or better than, say, 15-16 Livingston someone will wanna sign him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Golden State can probably get away without paying the luxury tax just like Bay Area tech companies get away without paying any taxes at all and just randomly have a few hundred billion dollars in off shore reserves.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Shorten the regular season to 20 games. Best 28 teams make the playoffs. Playoffs are six months long with every round a best of 9 series.

This

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

big boi posted:

Yep, it's an app. There's a little promo video at http://www.nba.com/inplay

Not available in the Canadian iTunes Store. *shrug*

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spite posted:

That is some aggressive projection for a guy with a PER of 8 and couldn't crack very good shooting efficiency despite only having a 11% usage. He averaged 12 points per 100 possessions he was on the floor. You see him becoming that effective of a scorer that quickly?

Spite posted:

I dunno that that will matter. They can probably sign Iggy to a mediocre deal if they get him in with the cap holds instead of the full contracts of Curry and Durant, but with the cap holds they won't have a ton of room to play around with.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Here are some pics of Fidel Castro playing hoops, I don't know how 66th take has not used these yet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be pretty cool to see if a team consisting of Klay, Curry, Durant, Green and then literally 11 other guys on exempt contracts of some sort is a viable team. Assuming that none of those guys ends up elsewhere.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol, Portland are going to be almost 40 million over the cap with their holds (which are almost nothing). I wonder if Olshey comically tugs on his collar and groans every time he looks at it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

leftist heap posted:

It's gonna be pretty cool to see if a team consisting of Klay, Curry, Durant, Green and then literally 11 other guys on exempt contracts of some sort is a viable team. Assuming that none of those guys ends up elsewhere.

I assume it would be a viable team as long as none of the big 4 get injured.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

leftist heap posted:

lol, Portland are going to be almost 40 million over the cap with their holds (which are almost nothing). I wonder if Olshey comically tugs on his collar and groans every time he looks at it.

And they're going to have to extend Nurkic too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

dokmo posted:

Here are some pics of Fidel Castro playing hoops, I don't know how 66th take has not used these yet.

The powerful combo of a Harden-esque beard and a Harden-esque Euro Step.

• Locked thread