Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

I had a dream last night about how dominating a defense with Embiid/RoCo/Jackson would be. I woke up so excited

Exactly

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Can Jackson shoot nba 3s yo.

IF he cant uh. . .it will be a problem.

Jackson has the tools and frame to be both an effective scorer and defender at the NBA level. He is big and quick. I don't really see a better option for the team at 3. Monk basically will never be an effective defender in the NBA and Fox is a walking bust destined to be drafted by the kings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jackson has the tools and frame to be both an effective scorer and defender at the NBA level. He is big and quick. I don't really see a better option for the team at 3. Monk basically will never be an effective defender in the NBA and Fox is a walking bust destined to be drafted by the kings.

I notice you didn't directly answer my question lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you think Jackson can shoot threes soon take him at 3 i agree.

But if he can't shoot 3s trade down or do something else. IMHO.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/864653965488685056

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/paulpierce34/status/864646029961863169

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Jeanie Buss playing chess out here

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah that gets me right here (hovers around heart, chest area)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

If you think Jackson can shoot threes soon take him at 3 i agree.

But if he can't shoot 3s trade down or do something else. IMHO.

Yeah, I think he will be able to shoot open 3s fine. He's not some elite perimeter threat. Probably like a .350-.360 guy.

e: When did Paul Pierce learn how to use emoji?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 17, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That would be good enough combined with the rest of the total package as you mention.

Sounds good if he can hit 36%.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Like any reasonable NYC basketball fan I thought the bow at MSG center court was great entertainment, but this is super hosed up this whole draft is hosed trash my teams will never be good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

That would be good enough combined with the rest of the total package as you mention.

Sounds good if he can hit 36%.

Monk is extremely good at what he does, I just think he is far too limited physically to make it in the NBA as a defender. I was a lot higher on him until I realized his winspan is 6'3". Short with T-rex arms is a dangerous combination.

It just makes sense to me to take the guy who can eventually do a lot of things well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could stash monk on the other teams pg. but it limits switching yeah.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Actually after thinking about it can we just trade our pick for Butler instead please

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Perimeter defense isn't as huge of a deal if you have someone like Embiid back there. Monk just has to learn how to funnel guys in that scenario

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Like any reasonable NYC basketball fan I thought the bow at MSG center court was great entertainment, but this is super hosed up this whole draft is hosed trash my teams will never be good

If he were the Celtics general manager sitting with the top pick, Walt Frazier said he would take Lonzo Ball over Markelle Fultz.

“Ball reminds me of [Jason] Kidd,’’ Frazier said. “The way he passes the ball, defense, quickness. [Fultz] I saw as well. I wasn’t that impressed. Some of the games I saw, he had a poor game.’’

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I will laugh so hard when the Lakers pass on Ball.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
According to the vertical the celtics won the first pick ping pong drawing 3 times before the lakers combo came up

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/864845906973257729

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

I blame the entire team from the brass to the bottom for unnecessarily winning like 7 games towards the end of the season

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You can find shooters in free agency, you can't find a Josh Jackson in free agency

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Jackson is a nearly instant double double threat plus defense. The only question is his shot and I believe it will work.

If I had to choose between having JJ or Wiggins come back for a sophomore season I'd choose JJ.

But I'd choose Embiid over both.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

You can find shooters in free agency, you can't find a Josh Jackson in free agency

I think this is a very salient point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh I did forget one thing.

Josh Jackson has another negative that I haven't been mentioning. His free throw shooting is a travesty.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jaylen Brown is gonna be a drat good defender

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think he will be too, however bear in mind in with stats he matched up disproportionately against second unit guys this year.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think he will be too, however bear in mind in with stats he matched up disproportionately against second unit guys this year.

Yeah it's just really encouraging as a rookie, even if it's versus trash players. He's been used a lot to close out games also though - he gets lost sometimes but drat if he isn't insanely athletic. Lebron's gonna roast him in a few hours and I'll probably cry

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is what worries me about Lonzo in the half-court: https://fansided.com/2017/05/04/lonzo-ball-off-dribble-shot-making-translate-nba/

His shooting form when going off-the-dribble prevents him from attempting a good shot when going to his right.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

gently caress it, stick him on LeBron tonight.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

*Lebron scores 50 points and dunks so hard that the lottery undoes itself and the Celtics pick last*

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Paul Zuvella posted:

*Lebron scores 50 points and dunks so hard that the lottery undoes itself and the Celtics pick last*

:negative: no dont

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

This is what worries me about Lonzo in the half-court: https://fansided.com/2017/05/04/lonzo-ball-off-dribble-shot-making-translate-nba/

His shooting form when going off-the-dribble prevents him from attempting a good shot when going to his right.

Slightly off topic, one of my favorite things to do at Summer League is hound a player who can only dribble with one hand or only go in a certain direction. I think I pissed off a bunch of Laker fans when I kept yelling that Russell was going left or that if he went right he would just cross over for a pull-up. They wanted to say something snarky to me so much but couldn't because he kept doing it.

What I'm saying it, everyone should go to Summer League and hound Ball about going right

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At the beginning of your post I thought you were talking about playing in a summer rec league and by the end it made more sense as a goon.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't know that they have much choice because Crowder is a bit too slow and everyone else is too small. And yes he will probably get vaporized but guarding playoff Lebron as a rookie is going to be a great learning experience

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I think we need a defensive SF who can shoot the 3, push LaVine as a 30+-minutes off the bench guy, and let Wiggins play the 2 where he is a lot more dangerous. A stretch 4 is the 2nd biggest need, and Markkanen is a good fit, but I think a lot of people are nervous with him because of the bust factor there. Definitely a risk you take in the mid-late lottery though.

The Cavaliers literally got an all-star with their #1 pick a few years ago and got to the Finals 2(3) times in a row and winning a chip. You absolutely can do that with this pick and there is actually a pretty nice blueprint.

And I thought it was known the Celtics cap space will go to a Kelly Olynyk max contract.

If you're worried about 'Bust Factor' and then you draft Issac, lookout. There's a lot more risk involved in that pick than "best shooter in college."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

If you're worried about 'Bust Factor' and then you draft Issac, lookout. There's a lot more risk involved in that pick than "best shooter in college."

I think there's risk all over at that place in the draft. I like Markkanen though, and you have me leaning back that way if he's there. If Isaac truly becomes Harrison Barnes +2 inches I'm coming back to you.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kiimo posted:

At the beginning of your post I thought you were talking about playing in a summer rec league and by the end it made more sense as a goon.

I'm the gooniest goon that ever gooned at Summer League. Pretty sure the Kings superfan group that travels everywhere to see the team hates me because I kept hounding Vivek about Knightman

Lockback posted:

I think there's risk all over at that place in the draft. I like Markkanen though, and you have me leaning back that way if he's there. If Isaac truly becomes Harrison Barnes +2 inches I'm coming back to you.

Houston's successful (regular season) run showed that a sharp shooting big who can't play defense isn't completely detrimental to the team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not worried about finding shooters. I'm worried about playing non shooters on the floor with Simmons and Embiid. ( and to a lesser extent Saric).

But good brains think he (jj) can shoot well enough where his man won't sag off so take him and sign reddick and Lowry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I do like the potential of Issac a lot, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of risk with him because we are talking about a guy who does some really impressive things that go on highlights, but then kind of sucks the rest of the game. Which actually does sound like Harrison Barnes until this season maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Slightly off topic, one of my favorite things to do at Summer League is hound a player who can only dribble with one hand or only go in a certain direction. I think I pissed off a bunch of Laker fans when I kept yelling that Russell was going left or that if he went right he would just cross over for a pull-up. They wanted to say something snarky to me so much but couldn't because he kept doing it.

What I'm saying it, everyone should go to Summer League and hound Ball about going right

I should be going this summer to visit a friend of mine who just moved out there for a job. Pretty excited!

• Locked thread