Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

I don't have that option checked, but I think the Presto readers occasionally trigger my Apple Pay thing

I'm 100% sure Apple Pay NFC only activates on home button double-press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm 100% sure Apple Pay NFC only activates on home button double-press

if it's near an active reader offering a transaction it's either automatic or it activates when you rest your finger on the button, not sure which comes first when I use it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

if it's near an active reader offering a transaction it's either automatic or it activates when you rest your finger on the button, not sure which comes first when I use it

it needs your fingerprint to unlock the card data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

Why in the world are they on a boat

mar-a-lago is on a public waterway and boats aren't out of the ordinary there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it needs your fingerprint to unlock the card data

well yeah but does it prompt you to do that or wait for you to start

either way, no double press needed

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

spankmeister posted:

CC company done hosed up. My bank disables new cards until you activate them over phone using a code in the letter

my newest credit card had a label saying it must be activated by performing a chip+pin transaction first

didn't test if that was actually necessary, but that would be sensible.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Instant Grat posted:

you can get a droid app to just read the cards w/ the phone's nfc reader. doesn't get you the cvv2, but you don't need that to buy a 40-gallon tub of lube on amazon

Munkeymon posted:

how are you passing NFC data to Amazon in this scenario?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i mean i installed an nfc reader app and put it on my own card and the reader instantly went "yup here's your full card number, name, and expiration date", so :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i thought the cvv2 was required for all customer not present transactions?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Amazon doesn't use it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
also inb4 "lol you let an app scan your card" it was like a year ago and i haven't seen any charges to African Warlords Inc

i turned on airplane mode before doing it and deleted the app afterwards

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Instant Grat posted:

Amazon doesn't use it.

Where are you that amazon don't require a cv2 ?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Instant Grat posted:

i mean i installed an nfc reader app and put it on my own card and the reader instantly went "yup here's your full card number, name, and expiration date", so :shrug:

was it your actual card number? i thought nfc used a temporary number per transaction

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Instant Grat posted:

Amazon doesn't use it.

they sure require me to enter one when I change anything about card or delivery information and iirc told me correctly when I mis-entered it but I could be wrong

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Perplx posted:

was it your actual card number? i thought nfc used a temporary number per transaction

It was

Munkeymon posted:

they sure require me to enter one when I change anything about card or delivery information and iirc told me correctly when I mis-entered it but I could be wrong

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Amazon-not-require-a-security-CVV-code-for-credit-card-transactions

https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/g8z9t/why_amazon_doesnt_ask_for_the_cvvcvc_when_i_give/

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/21168/how-does-amazon-bill-me-without-the-cvc-cvv-cvv2

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm going to assume without reading any of those that companies can do literally anything they want with credit card transactions as long as they're willing to pay the penalties and Amazon is big enough that removing transaction flow barriers is worth the risk.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
close. higher rates without a cv2. although ive always had to enter one with a new card or they notice something different (ip address changes or something, i dunno).

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

necrotic posted:

close. higher rates without a cv2. although ive always had to enter one with a new card or they notice something different (ip address changes or something, i dunno).

Yep same, always need cv2 with new card or large purchase.

Payment processors like sage pay let you disable cv2 and postcode checking but most banks have punitive rates on moto transactions without cv2 now , maybe op's bank are retarded and haven't done this.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

ok yeah testing it at home now

iphone 6s+ will wake from sleep and ask for a fingerprint if i put an nfc reader on it, but the reader won't see anything without a fingerprint

watch doesn't even want to be read by my android but it also requires you to have passcode or iphone authed to show a card

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

watch doesn't even want to be read by my android but it also requires you to have passcode or iphone authed to show a card

ok found a working app (android quality smh) and it won't make the watch prompt when held in a way that it can read the watch

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
wouldn't surprise me to learn that amazon are simply big enough to negotiate special deals with cc processors and banks that let them get away with not requiring a cvv

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

necrotic posted:

probably their internal checks and unusual account activity detection is good enough to negotiate the same rate for transaction without a cv2.

they definitely check the billing address each transaction. I've had a small routine order fail because I changed my billing address with my card provider in anticipation of a move but I hadn't updated it on amazon in time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ok yeah testing it at home now

iphone 6s+ will wake from sleep and ask for a fingerprint if i put an nfc reader on it, but the reader won't see anything without a fingerprint

yeah that's what I was getting at. I can pass by Presto terminals with phone in pocket, then when I take it out its awake and showing the card picture for apple 💰

(thanks for that autocorrect timb)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

redleader posted:

wouldn't surprise me to learn that amazon are simply big enough to negotiate special deals with cc processors and banks that let them get away with not requiring a cvv

pretty sure you have to provide it for your first payment and then once you save the payment deets amazon is storing a special token that's represents your card when being processed by amazon. if its stolen its useless without being able to send thru amazons payment processing system.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i'm 100% certain that amazon has never asked me for the cvv2 for any of the cards i've used, and it's not hard to find loads of people on google saying the same thing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Instant Grat posted:

i'm 100% certain that amazon has never asked me for the cvv2 for any of the cards i've used, and it's not hard to find loads of people on google saying the same thing

I can confirm, I just added a new Mastercard to my Amazon account without entering a CVV2.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can run credit card transactions with as little as a name and a number. Asking for more information is just about mitigating fraud risk. If you follow best practices and ask for everything, your payment provider eats the cost of fraud rather than passing it on to you.

Amazon is confident in their own ability to detect fraudulent purchases in other ways. They're good enough at it that the rate of fraud is low enough that the decreased transaction friction outweighs the cost of fraud. Anyone could do the same if they had the same confidence and ability to eat the losses when an occasional fraudulent transaction gets through.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

You can run credit card transactions with as little as a name and a number. Asking for more information is just about mitigating fraud risk. If you follow best practices and ask for everything, your payment provider eats the cost of fraud rather than passing it on to you.

Amazon is confident in their own ability to detect fraudulent purchases in other ways. They're good enough at it that the rate of fraud is low enough that the decreased transaction friction outweighs the cost of fraud. Anyone could do the same if they had the same confidence and ability to eat the losses when an occasional fraudulent transaction gets through.

can you rephrase that in terms of equations or point me to some paper or something else that does

no seriously i'm not being sarcastic, i'm actually curious about the sort of models people use to compute these things

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

can you rephrase that in terms of equations or point me to some paper or something else that does

no seriously i'm not being sarcastic, i'm actually curious about the sort of models people use to compute these things

or alternately :nws: https://goatkcd.com/1838/ :nws:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that kind of thing is surely a closely guarded trade secret. So I am sure it is sitting on a public google drive document or on pastebin.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:lol: 1836

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Varkk posted:

that kind of thing is surely a closely guarded trade secret. So I am sure it is sitting on a public google drive document or on pastebin.

Nah that's highly technical information

It'll be checked into an engineers public github

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

1808 is pretty good as well.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i like groupon's approach to pci compliance. definitely beats the poo poo out of ours

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3161826

in wannacry news infosec falling over themselves to look at half-assed campaign indicators over detailed shared code https://baesystemsai.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/wanacrypt0r-ransomworm.html

and a nice breakdown of epichero http://blog.infobytesec.com/2017/05/nsa-shadowbrokers-leak-analyzing.html

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

i'm the request for a cup of coffee's worth of bitcoin after giving up on holding you to ransom because you're too poor

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

i'm the request for a cup of coffee's worth of bitcoin after giving up on holding you to ransom because you're too poor

seriously. :psyduck:

what a bastard

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't forget to tip your waitstaff and the people who released your hostage family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Perplx posted:

Android pay and Apple pay do this. The chip has no ability to do this since it's not online

• Locked thread