Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this is a hour+ long commercial for candy crush saga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Danny McBride is a national hero.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hmm yes, the eggplant emoji never gets used...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On a $100 million budget.

Yikes.

Does anyone outside the US give a drat about Power Rangers as a franchise?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Renoistic posted:

Does anyone outside the US give a drat about Power Rangers as a franchise?
Well it started as an American version of a Japanese franchise, but I guess they didn't care too much for how we handled their property :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Power Rangers is pretty well known around the world but I'm kinda doubtful people have any serious kind of nostalgia about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vegetable posted:

Power Rangers is pretty well known around the world but I'm kinda doubtful people have any serious kind of nostalgia about it.
Probably not around the world, but I'll remind you that March saw an entire replay of every episode​ from every season on Twitch and it was crazy popular.

Also, I don't think the Japanese cared that they took their show and cut it up because it symbiotically fed into the TokuSentai scene.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FilthyImp posted:

Probably not around the world, but I'll remind you that March saw an entire replay of every episode​ from every season on Twitch and it was crazy popular.

Crazy popular on Twitch is something like 100-200k viewers, which is a drop in the bucket when your movie requires to sell 50-100 million tickets to be successful. Nerd poo poo and nostalgia are very popular, but sometimes it's easy to overestimate how much if you don't look also outside of the scene (or bubble as it is now called).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The movie is on track for a 100 million dollar opening, we're not talking King Arthur here.

The current King Arthur film had a smaller opening weekend than the lovely 2004 Clive Owen/Keira Knightley King Arthur film and the '04 was a horrible flop that only made $51m domestic off a $120m production budget. So the current film is probably going to make even less but it had an even bigger $175m production budget and the studio could end up with a loss of $150m or more after all is said and done. This was supposed to be the first of a 6 part film franchise but I can't really see that happening now ...

Steven Mnuchin is listed as Executive Producer on the project. If that name somehow sounds familiar it's because he's the current United States Secretary of the Treasury of the Trump administration.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember hearing about the film and going "well I like Guy Ritchie so I'll probably see it" then five seconds later I've forgotten it exists and what was I talking about

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

I know, the Internet is all about stupid exaggeration, but holy poo poo, did the director sleep with your mom or something? It was a okayish movie at best with some nice ideas and a tremendous look and art direction (much stolen from the Anime). It was nowhere near as good as the Anime, and it was unexciting outside of the design, but "worst movie"? Worse than Pixels? It wasn't even the worst big budget movie this year. Or of the weekend it started on.

I was just offended at how boring it was, yes the visuals were a high point and I'm enough of a Johansson fan to have sat through Under the Skin and Lucy come away satisfied but Ghost was so devoid of value it left me pretty angry that I watched it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There were fake rumors of a Brokeback Mountain sequel starring Emma Watson and Margo Robie. My question is why is this not happening anyway.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

There were fake rumors of a Brokeback Mountain sequel starring Emma Watson and Margo Robie. My question is why is this not happening anyway.

:raise: Please don't turn a landmark for gay rights into a fetish thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If they're going to debase it they should make it just a six-film franchise of gay cowboys

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Culminating jn a film that is basically Magnificent 7 except with more buttfucking.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

If they're going to debase it they should make it just a six-film franchise of gay cowboys

You know that the writer was kind of pissed with the audience reaction where she became a gay hero somehow from Wyoming Stories?

I wanted to be remembered for the story of the two drunk cowboys who were driving around with a flaming truck full of hay!

Flaming I mean

Why are you reading into this?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Girls write the best gay lit is what I mean.

Look up slash fic my n-word

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

And tidbits from a supposed leak of the script

quote:

A predator escape pod crashes in Cuba while Boyd Holbrooks character is on a mission

He steals some of the predators tech and FedExes it to his house in Georgia before they both get captured by the CIA who takes him to area 52 where it is revealed that predator refugees have been working with humans since the Cold War

Holbrooks autist son gets the alien tech his dad sent

The predators plan to take over earth as their home world is dying and send a super predator to earth to kill the predator dissidents and get their stuff back from the autist son

Super predator releases army of predators that have 3 legs, four legs, tentacles etc.

After a while Holbrooks character and his son end up on the ship where they kill all the predators by detonating an explosive collar they all wear, and because the kid is super smart he works out how to fly the ship and decides to destroy it by crashing it into the ground

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That sounds...phenomenally stupid. But, whatever, synopses usually do and it's probably not true, anyways.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Still using the "autism = super intelligence" trope I see.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Also, I don't think the Japanese cared that they took their show and cut it up because it symbiotically fed into the TokuSentai scene.

IIRC, it gets aired in Japan and gets decent ratings. the movie just stunk, i guess :shrug:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Still using the "autism = super intelligence" trope I see.

Should've done the pro-gamer learns to pilot alien space ship from video game trope

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is a unix system Starfox! I've played Starfox!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Now thats what I call a close encounter!

New King Arthur is a pretty fun romp, check it out if you still have an inner teenager

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No loving way can I believe that script. That has to be fake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Once again, Shana Black and Fred Dekker.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Having you guys ever noticed that you can't tell if a movie is good from a plot synopsis? I wouldn't worry about it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tag yourselves, I'm Three-Legged Predator.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

Crazy popular on Twitch is something like 100-200k viewers, which is a drop in the bucket when your movie requires to sell 50-100 million tickets to be successful. Nerd poo poo and nostalgia are very popular, but sometimes it's easy to overestimate how much if you don't look also outside of the scene (or bubble as it is now called).

It worked so well for Snakes on a Plane and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm the predator dissident that does not respect the old ways and is slain by an old guard predator who looks suspiciously like a notable US politician

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm a Predator whose laser dot sight has 5 dots. That means it's 66% more accurate than the other Predator's shoulder lasers. Eat it, nerds.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

All those different Predators, and no smart hacker Theo from Die Hard Predator? BULLSHIT.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We're gonna make Praedatoria great again!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I hope the corporate higher-up predators are all wearing suits and ties. The usual predator garb we've seen thus far is just their weekend-retreat/hunting-trip/back-to-nature outfits.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

I read "3 legs, four legs, tentacles" as "3 legs, four legs, testicles," so I want to be the three-testicled predator.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You all joke, but seemingly the leak also had the movie doing away with the idea of Predators hunting for sport, apparently they've been using the dna of their kills to genetically enhance themselves and to create a new species of super pred.

And hey, Arnold read the script and didn't like it

quote:

My all-time favorite film of yours is Predator, and Shane Black is now rebooting the franchise with The Predator. Are you involved with it in any way?

They asked me, and I read it, and I didn’t like it — whatever they offered. So I’m not going to do that, no. Except if there’s a chance that they rewrite it, or make it a more significant role. But the way it is now, no, I won’t do that.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/arnold-schwarzenegger-talks-new-movie-aftermath-plus-predator-twins-conan-updates-195430705.html

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Once again, Shana Black and Fred Dekker.

In favor of Fred Dekker: Wrote and directed Monster Squad.

Against Fred Dekker: Wrote and directed RoboCop 3.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

I hope the corporate higher-up predators are all wearing suits and ties. The usual predator garb we've seen thus far is just their weekend-retreat/hunting-trip/back-to-nature outfits.

:agreed:

That's why I made the comment about the Predator homeworld being Predator Office Space, complete with Predator Lumbergh passive-aggressively threatening to derail the weekend hunting trip.

Then when they encounter hostile humans and get out if their element, it turns into Deliverance, except with Predators as Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, Ronny Cox, and Ned Beatty.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is the margin of success for a movie a gross that is double the cost of production and marketing combined? Like a 100 mil picture with 50 mil marketing should break even at 300 mil? This doesn't count the Net because the Net does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is the margin of success for a movie a gross that is double the cost of production and marketing combined? Like a 100 mil picture with 50 mil marketing should break even at 300 mil? This doesn't count the Net because the Net does not exist.

There are countless margins, none with any serious connection to reality. The production budget is only somewhat known, the marketing budget is generally unknown, the cut from theaters can change over time and vary by region, money from merchandising and product placement aren't known, etc. There simply is not a reliable way to judge financial success from the outside for anything but runaway hits and absolute bombs.

• Locked thread