Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

odiv posted:

Please don't make fun of corporate speak. You may not enjoy it, but others do.

Theres a lot of dumb poo poo that goes with being in the public sector.....but the fact I don't have to hear corporate nonsense jargon is like the biggest plus.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Card Kingdom wrote about my IRL Momir Vig deck!

I love this thing, it's goofy and fun as hell.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That's awesome!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

The greater problem is that people who actually don't care about getting real valuable stuff also can't get anything. I wanted a lot of lovely Pauper cards and couldn't get anything, because I have points and don't want to send more cards out, but because I haven't sent cards out recently my wants literally don't show up for other people. I am the kind of trader that should be the focus of Pucatrade - I'm willing to send off high dollar EDH poo poo in return for a bunch of jank. I'm what keeps the economy going, and deliberately blocking me from receiving my junk is laughably suicidal.

So yes, Pucatrade is dead. Specifically it's dead due to the actions of the Pucatrade team making a shittier version of their site and then making it even worse.

I got out a bit before the site redesign and the very legible writing was on the wall then but mostly for more constructed staples. I knew it had gotten even worse but that's hilariously bad.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I can attest to this paper momir set being cool and good and hell of a lot of fun to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

If only I had the patience and fortitude.

Bravo.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Pontius Pilate posted:

I got out a bit before the site redesign and the very legible writing was on the wall then but mostly for more constructed staples. I knew it had gotten even worse but that's hilariously bad.

How is the site still going, then? Are people just trading low value cards back and forth while the point-to-dollar conversion slowly deflates to zero?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I didn't think this was legit going to work but I just picked up my deck today at my neighborhood walmart store pickup thing today.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-the-Gathering-2016-Commander-Deck-Japanese/55702537?variantFieldId=actual_color

Breed lethality is still showing in stock for me. It might be regional, but this is without a doubt the easiest to move deck ever printed. Tcgplayer is showing them for 130 bucks right now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I didn't think this was legit going to work but I just picked up my deck today at my neighborhood walmart store pickup thing today.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-the-Gathering-2016-Commander-Deck-Japanese/55702537?variantFieldId=actual_color

Breed lethality is still showing in stock for me. It might be regional, but this is without a doubt the easiest to move deck ever printed. Tcgplayer is showing them for 130 bucks right now.

All the japanese ones on ebay have sold for $55. But still a fun grab/flip. Might not be worth it in the end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I need to know when you're going to be at CK because I need to play with this.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Yeah, I'm interested in giving that a shot, to say the least.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There's a dude at my LGS who pulls out an entire cardboard card box row's worth of cards in random sleeves. It's multiplayer, you have infinite mana but can cast only one spell per turn, and you draw off the top of a shared deck, which is all the cards. It looks goofy and I'm gonna try to get a spot at the table next time they play.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lawnie posted:

There's a dude at my LGS who pulls out an entire cardboard card box row's worth of cards in random sleeves. It's multiplayer, you have infinite mana but can cast only one spell per turn, and you draw off the top of a shared deck, which is all the cards. It looks goofy and I'm gonna try to get a spot at the table next time they play.

Ah yes, Type 4. The only format where Ember Shot is a better card than Lightning Bolt, and cycling Decree of Silence is the only way to force your spell through. I loved Type 4, but Momir is just a bit more fun.

Some Numbers posted:

I need to know when you're going to be at CK because I need to play with this.

I'll be there tonight and tomorrow night, though not for Magic either time. I'm usually there with Momir set up on Mondays before Legacy starts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Lawnie posted:

that's called "Type 4" i think

there's also Battlebox which is a similar shared stack format but instead of the infinite mana thing, each player starts with 10 lands (usually 1 of each basic and 5 etb tapped duals) set aside that they are allowed to play as if they were in their hand.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That's usually called a Stack or Type 4, I believe.

Efb

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

How is Play Design any different than Future Future League? Or did I miss WOTC getting rid of that at some point in the past decade?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I'll be there tonight and tomorrow night, though not for Magic either time. I'm usually there with Momir set up on Mondays before Legacy starts.

Ugggh, I work until 8 on Mondays.

I'm thinking of going to X-Wing night tomorrow though...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

How is Play Design any different than Future Future League? Or did I miss WOTC getting rid of that at some point in the past decade?

It sounds like they're like the FFL but for design instead of development. i.e. They would look at cards and say mechanics and say "hey maybe printing these extremely powerful, colorless artifacts that attack and are immune to sorcery speed removal is bad and we should do something else." or "let's not print another cost reducing mechanic because we've had about 200 broken cards with a cost reduction mechanic and exactly 4 that aren't broken."

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
There are a lot of seattle people in here. I might have to head out to Card Kingdom soon. As a new player I am really interested in the Amonkhet league they have starting Sunday night but it's kind of a far drive (Tacoma area) and it really isn't worth it if there are not a bunch of other people also doing it. I went to a few of my local shops and no one ever showed up during the event times to do it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lawnie posted:

I watched a couple of guys play "Mental Magic" 2 weeks ago. It was probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen beside EDH

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Cactrot posted:

I have been inundated with business / management speak for too long, because this made perfect sense to me :sigh:

Maybe I've been zombified, but I didn't even think this touched on any complex or any obscure business terms. Goals, metrics, evaluations. Those are all basic High School concepts in my mind.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

I watched a couple of guys play "Mental Magic" 2 weeks ago. It was probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen beside EDH

Mental magic is fun

It's been way too long since I've played it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

80s James Hetfield posted:

Mental Magic (aka what the Richard Garfield, PhD card does) fuckin' owns and you are a scrub for not liking it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tainen posted:

There are a lot of seattle people in here. I might have to head out to Card Kingdom soon. As a new player I am really interested in the Amonkhet league they have starting Sunday night but it's kind of a far drive (Tacoma area) and it really isn't worth it if there are not a bunch of other people also doing it. I went to a few of my local shops and no one ever showed up during the event times to do it.

I don't think I'm overstating it when I say that both Card Kingdom (Now Mox Boarding House Seattle) and Mox Boarding House Bellevue are the best game stores within five hundred miles, maybe the entire west coast?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foma posted:

Maybe I've been zombified, but I didn't even think this touched on any complex or any obscure business terms. Goals, metrics, evaluations. Those are all basic High School concepts in my mind.
And, much like hich school in general, they don't mean anything. You basically said "the people in R&D should be evaluated on their ability to make good cards".

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

I don't think I'm overstating it when I say that both Card Kingdom (Now Mox Boarding House Seattle) and Mox Boarding House Bellevue are the best game stores within five hundred miles, maybe the entire west coast?

Yeah, we are extremely spoiled. It's seriously the greatest. No dusty old Kenner Star Trek action figures hanging on the wall, no neckbeards crowding the register, no faded posters over the windows, $8,000 wargaming tables and 8 beer taps.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Fyi, these are without the doubt the greatest magic store anywhere. I just don't understand how it could get any better.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Cool. I am going to be in the area Saturday night for a concert. I will stop in and check it out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Fyi, these are without the doubt the greatest magic store anywhere. I just don't understand how it could get any better.

Haven't been to those, but Guardian Games in Portland is absolutely absurd.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I mean its definitely spacious, but lets not kid ourselves here.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShaneB posted:

Having been to both, this is another situation where Portland is playing catch up to it's adult brother.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Guardian made me gape in awe. Chicago has absolutely nothing on that. Not even close.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mental Magic (aka what the Richard Garfield, PhD card does) fuckin' owns and you are a scrub for not liking it.

A friend of mine had an interesting variant where your opponent could ban a choice when you played it. So, for example, in one game on turn 1 my opponent played a land, I banned it from being Library, and then he had to choose something else (I think he went with Strip Mine but I don't remember)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
My 5-0 Zombies deck got posted as one of the 8 5-0 decks. Anyone trying to jump into standard, you can't go wrong with BW zombies.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/competitive-standard-league-2017-05-17#online

The deck is dirt cheap if you already have Gideons or just choose to not play him in the board. The list I had was playing 2 metallic mimc and 2 binding mummy because I had never played the deck before and was curious which was better. Binding mummy no question, I'd go up to 3 and the fourth Liliana's Mastery maindeck. Scrapheap Scrounger is a garbage card and the decks it is good against all play magma spray anyhow, and exiling your own creatures is bad because it makes your colossus smaller. I think you want 3 Gideon in the sideboard, and the fourth transgress.

The deck is mostly about figuring out of you are drawing cards with cryptbreaker or beating down. Game one wasn't bad, especially when you win the roll, but I honestly felt like I was always favored after board.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Ugh. We don't have poo poo in Boston. My LGS is super friendly but it's miniscule and there's no AC in the summer. And pandemonium always smells like fungus and unwashed nerds

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Burn Cascadia to the loving ground.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Do we have any regulars to the mox boarding house? How does the store keep the grognards out? I feel like the place is so nice that I would be terrified that goons would come in and poo poo up the place. Does the staff threaten bannings hourly? Is the income level high enough these garbage human don't get a chance to come out?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Marketing New Brain posted:

My 5-0 Zombies deck got posted as one of the 8 5-0 decks. Anyone trying to jump into standard, you can't go wrong with BW zombies.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/competitive-standard-league-2017-05-17#online

The deck is dirt cheap if you already have Gideons or just choose to not play him in the board. The list I had was playing 2 metallic mimc and 2 binding mummy because I had never played the deck before and was curious which was better. Binding mummy no question, I'd go up to 3 and the fourth Liliana's Mastery maindeck. Scrapheap Scrounger is a garbage card and the decks it is good against all play magma spray anyhow, and exiling your own creatures is bad because it makes your colossus smaller. I think you want 3 Gideon in the sideboard, and the fourth transgress.

The deck is mostly about figuring out of you are drawing cards with cryptbreaker or beating down. Game one wasn't bad, especially when you win the roll, but I honestly felt like I was always favored after board.

Does WB not play Relentless dead?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Does WB not play Relentless dead?

It caps out at 2, its too hard to cast and binding mummy takes some slots up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Sickening posted:

Do we have any regulars to the mox boarding house? How does the store keep the grognards out? I feel like the place is so nice that I would be terrified that goons would come in and poo poo up the place. Does the staff threaten bannings hourly? Is the income level high enough these garbage human don't get a chance to come out?

Can't be the income thing, I know I'm not the only townie dirtbag who plays there.

I think it has to do with the natural lighting and openness of the space; CHUDs prefer cramped sunless zones.