Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rudager posted:

BWM: Having a hobby.

The end.

Counterpoint: woodworking. The money spent on equipment is offset by the shear number of chairs you can now pack into your house/garage/porch/basement/shed/car/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Why not just buy a massive antec and mod the thing yourself? I mean that looks like maybe $200 of case, tops. For example: antec 1900 red, $269

He could buy a holesaw for $14 at home depot and learn a few things in the process. I'm so happy I got the gently caress out of the case modding scene in 2007, what a cluster gently caress. $639 :captainpop:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Combine these two ideas and make custom woodwork computer cases.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Combine these two ideas and make custom woodwork computer cases.

I had a friend that did this once, made it look like a fancy 70's console thing too, it was very pretty.

To make this more thread-relevant, here's that idea but made very BWM:

http://kotaku.com/this-wooden-box-is-a-gaming-pc-1791091884

If you look closely you'll notice that the motherboard isn't even flush with the back and the sides don't line up quite right :allears:

April
Jul 3, 2006

I posted on FB about stomach problems I've been having, and the fact that I was pissed that the endoscopy I had didn't show anything (I wanted it FIXED dammit) and an online friend I've had for a good decade responded with the following. I have always liked & respected this person, she seemed really level-headed, and actually very smart with managing her money/debt, etc. I honestly didn't realize this particular scam was still making the rounds.....

Oh good grief posted:

If it all tests come out negative, try Mangosteen Juice. I highly recommend Xango, which is a brand I'm a distributor for. I've used it for 15+ years and swear by it!.. It has many healing quality, but one of the quickest and most noticeable is for any kind of stomach issue, gastric, upset, nausea, heartburn, etc . . . I've heard you can find other brands at Costco, or online that are cheaper than the Xango, but I feel Xango works best. It is more expensive, though.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I had a friend that did this once, made it look like a fancy 70's console thing too, it was very pretty.

If you look closely you'll notice that the motherboard isn't even flush with the back and the sides don't line up quite right :allears:

The GPU in the box in the article isn't even connected lol.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How's that graphics card supposed to work? It's not even plugged into the PCIX slot. It's just mounted there, screwed to the box and no riser off the motherboard to it. It's vaporware.

/\ :argh: you mother..friend :glomp:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kotaku, shill of all things Japanese and gadgety posted:

This is the sort of computer system one might expect from Computer Direct Outlet, a company with a CEO named Gary Underwood, a designer named Ty Underwood and a engineer named Dale Woodard. Seriously. These guys were born to make a wooden PC

Or, OR, OR...it could be that they're fake names :aaa:

Wonder if that author will sell all his consoles to buy one and get his wife a taco bell gift card again.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 17, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Zo posted:

amway is a loving juggernaut in japan, way way way bigger than it was in US or Canada as far as I can tell

Among the Japanese or are we talking like American expats or military/contractors?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

April posted:

I posted on FB about stomach problems I've been having, and the fact that I was pissed that the endoscopy I had didn't show anything (I wanted it FIXED dammit) and an online friend I've had for a good decade responded with the following. I have always liked & respected this person, she seemed really level-headed, and actually very smart with managing her money/debt, etc. I honestly didn't realize this particular scam was still making the rounds.....

Holy poo poo, it's 2017 and there are still Mangosteen people out there. What a world we live in.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Or retargeting has gone too far.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

Speaking of $900 PC cases.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A guy I work with had a seizure at work, due to some medical condition that I cant remember. I only live about a block away from him so I've been giving him rides to and from work and it's an entire commute filled with BWM stories but this has been my favorite so far:

About 5 minutes into a drive the other day he lets out an exasperated sigh and says "Well I couldn't get those concert tickets I wanted last week, I ended up having to buy another ferret".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A guy I work with had a seizure at work, due to some medical condition that I cant remember. I only live about a block away from him so I've been giving him rides to and from work and it's an entire commute filled with BWM stories but this has been my favorite so far:

About 5 minutes into a drive the other day he lets out an exasperated sigh and says "Well I couldn't get those concert tickets I wanted last week, I ended up having to buy another ferret".

almost as good as "if it weren't for my horse, i wouldn't have spent that year in college"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I was gonna make a joke about service ferrets, but apparently those are real things?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

almost as good as "if it weren't for my horse, i wouldn't have spent that year in college"
Thanks for reminding me that I will never get closure on this.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

No Butt Stuff posted:

I was gonna make a joke about service ferrets, but apparently those are real things?

They may be a thing that exists, but they are most assuredly not "real."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BraveUlysses posted:

A polo pony scholarship, she had a polo pony scholarship.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

A polo pony scholarship, she had a polo pony scholarship.
Namaste.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

therobit posted:

They may be a thing that exists, but they are most assuredly not "real."

A doctor will write you a note that any animal of any species you want is your emotional support service animal for $250 after a short phone consultation. I don't remember the specifics, but it's come up on the forums before.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

According to him the reason he "HAD TO" buy another ferret is that his first ferret didnt properly bond to him or something. And that he thought since they were social creatures, the current ferret was just stressed being a loner and that if he got another one both ferrets would be in better moods and then they would both bond completely to him. That was his reasoning at least. Like I said the guy was such a swirling vortex of BWM that sometimes I had trouble keeping it all straight.

He also would eat out for lunch every single day. Not somewhere cheap and lovely like McDonalds either. He'd always go to some food trucks that were parked on our street and drop like $10-15. Then he'd go out to eat or order delivery every single night for dinner. I asked him about cooking and he just threw his hands up and said it was impossible for him to do because he didnt have the money for the equipment.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/6bfghf/house_deal_fell_through_is_it_okay_to_put_my_rrsp/ posted:

House deal fell through. Is it okay to put my RRSP funds back? (self.PersonalFinanceCanada)
submitted 1 day ago by Devious-Throwaway

I'm a first-time home buyer using my RRSP in my down payment. Last week I closed on a condo, but the deal fell through at the last minute.
Now I have $25K (already pulled from my RRSP) sitting in my chequing account.
If I cancel the transfer and return the funds to my RRSP:
Am I eligible to withdraw the funds again should I find another property?
Do my returned funds need to go through the 90-day cooldown before I can withdraw them again?
If I keep the funds instead of returning them, will I pay both witholding tax and income tax? To my knowledge no withholding tax has yet been charged on this sum.
Advice would be appreciated.

quote:

[–]RobotCowhand 2 points 1 day ago
Sorry to hear this happened to you. May I ask how you managed to close on property but the deal fell through? I thought once things are closed it's done.

quote:

[–]Devious-Throwaway[S] 1 point 21 hours ago
By "closed" I mean the seller and I had agreed on the terms. The deal was killed by the mortgage insurer, who got nervous when they saw my high credit card balances (a deliberate choice I took in order to maximize down-payment cash on hand). I'll know better for next time.

Pretty low grade BWM, I wonder if he got advice regarding his credit card balances in the past. Oh look:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/60kbty/seeing_a_mortgage_broker_can_i_do_anything_to/ posted:

Seeing a Mortgage Broker; Can I Do Anything to Improve My Outlook? (self.PersonalFinanceCanada)
submitted 1 month ago by Devious-Throwaway
I learned last week I'm getting evicted. I didn't foresee buying a place anytime soon, but now I'm making plans to see a mortgage broker and shop for a basic condo in the $200K price range.
The good:
I've been with the same company nearly nine years and I gross about $90K annually.
I have great credit.
Housing prices are down in my market.
I have a $40K RRSP plus another $1K in a TFSA.
I just received an above-average tax return of nearly $8K.
I'm a first-time home buyer.
The bad:
I owe $12K on a car
I owe $23K across a couple of credit cards. Yes I have a spending problem. Yes I'm stupid.
So here are my questions:
Am I likely to have any trouble securing a mortgage?
Anything I can/should do within the next couple of weeks to improve the optics of my financial situation?
Would I have any debt consolidation options to accompany a mortgage?
What should I do with the ~$10K sitting in my chequing account?
Apply it to my consumer debt?
Keep it to ensure I can clear the 20% down-payment threshold?
Grateful for any advice.

LOL deliberate choice my rear end.

quote:

[–]lemonsalad89 3 points 1 month ago
1) you should have no issues being approved for a 200k property based on your income as along as your credit is good as you say.
2) I will address this later.
3) there is no direct debt consolidation with a mortgage but this is connected to 2) and I will address below.
4) keep it for a 20% down payment. Since affordability shouldn't be a concern even with the credit card debt, you are better off skipping the approx 3k-7.5k in CMHC fees rather than an immediate interest reduction from the CC's.
However, I would recommend you also apply for a line of credit (probably not the best option based on your spending habits) or a loan to pay off the credit card debt. No sense paying 20% interest.

Well that sure worked out for him.

quote:

[–]chaitea97 1 point 1 month ago
I'm curious, where do you live that you can get a condo for 200K
permalinkembed

quote:

[–]Devious-Throwaway[S] 1 point 1 month ago
Believe it or not, Fort McMurray. Lots of folks have left town since the apocalypse, and prices might go even lower with the glut of newly rebuilt homes about to hit the marker.

Carrying lots of consumer debt and living/working in the diverse and healthy Fort Mac oil economy, I can't imagine why lenders aren't beating down his door.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

evobatman posted:

A doctor will write you a note that any animal of any species you want is your emotional support service animal for $250 after a short phone consultation. I don't remember the specifics, but it's come up on the forums before.

Almost correct: emotional support/comfort/anxiety animals do not qualify as service animals under the ADA, which means that technically, they can be forbidden from any business, just like pets. A doctor's letter isn't enough. If you can't tell them what tasks the animal is trained to do for you, you don't have a leg to stand on.

In practice, of course, people either aren't aware of this, or rationally choose not to make a stink, so a letter like that can go a long way. And it will always work on planes: for some reason, DoT/FAA rules say that emotional support animals with a letter from a licensed mental health professional are allowed on flights, period. So if you already have a pet and travel, I guess that could be GWM: just take Fido with you on your lap instead of buying a carrier and paying the luggage fees, or for boarding at a kennel.

I've actually seen someone with dog allergies be told that they'd have to take the next flight, and presumably hope that no one tries the same bullshit then too.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 17, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/OSU/comments/6blyrg/could_i_potentially_learn_to_live_with_student/

reddit posted:

Could I potentially learn to live with student debt?

I recently learned both of my parents have unpaid student loans from way back. But from what they tell me, having good credit isn't as necessary as it sounds. They have bad credit. But they've never had need for good credit. They've never needed to "buy" a house because they rent.
So, practically, I'm wondering what dangers await me if I too take out loans and then spend my life paying a little here and a little there.

reddit posted:

Planning retirement means trying to ballpark when you're gonna die. I'm not interested in that, I'd rather it be a surprise.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Well you can't expect much more than that from OSU.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm torn on whether I should post this here, because normally it would be BWM, but it's "ok" in the sense that they can afford it. But I will since it checks off a lot of the boxes in this thread.

Not only does my mom:
[X] Use and push essential oils on everyone for everyfuckingthing,
[X] she has a horse,
[X] which has cancer, but
[X] she won't send him to the glue factory
[X] despite not being able to ride him anymore (she can basically only feed and brush him),

But she also:
[X] uses essential oils on her horse.

The whole thing is really loving :psyboom:, but my parents are retired and set financially, so I can't really call it BWM, but it would be just about any other time.

Like, it's really hard to talk to her at times, because she turns everything around to essential oils. I mentioned to her that I may have tennis elbow or some kind of tendinitis, which may require surgery. Her suggestion was, of course, essential oils, because there is a "anti-inflammatory" oil. My old man just rolls his eyes whenever she mentions them,.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think we've done a pretty good job of establishing that even if you can comfortably afford said BWM, nonsense like essential oils for your lame horses is still implicitly BWM.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What kind of essential oils are we talking about? There are cheap oils out there like rosemary or peppermint, then there's mysore sandalwood and oud which require taking out a HELOC to buy. (No, not a Horse Equity Line of Credit.)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What makes an oil, essential, anyways?

It's not like an essential amino acid or vitamin.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's essential in the, like, "having the essence of" sense, not the "non-optional" sense.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Essentially snake oil.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Somewhat relevant: A, D, E and K vitamins are all dissoluble in fat.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's essential in the, like, "having the essence of" sense, not the "non-optional" sense.

Gonna take a wild guess and say most people who use them believe it's the latter and not the former

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay that's not what the word means but I guess retards being retarded.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

Fort McMurray

Ahahahah and now the glut of oil in Texas is expected to gently caress the Canadian oil industry even harder, all the rig pigs are hosed. I shouldn't laugh because I have a bunch of engineer friends from high school dying a slow death up in northern Alberta right now, but really what kind of idiot invests their life in fossil fuels in tyool 2017?

I always wondered why engineers were so bad with life, until I stumbled across this great quote on the forums:

"If you've ever wondered why D&D has separate stats for intelligence and wisdom, just think about how many engineers are libertarians"

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 18, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cowofwar posted:

It's not like an essential amino acid or vitamin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil

quote:

An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils, ethereal oils, aetherolea, or simply as the oil of the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it contains the "essence of" the plant's fragrance—the characteristic fragrance of the plant from which it is derived.[1] The term essential used here does not mean indispensable as with the terms essential amino acid or essential fatty acid which are so called since they are nutritionally required by a given living organism.[2]

Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation, often by using steam. Other processes include expression, solvent extraction, absolute oil extraction, resin tapping, and cold pressing. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and other products, for flavoring food and drink, and for adding scents to incense and household cleaning products.

There are also fragrance oils which are things like that smell like it; for instance, real sandalwood essential oil is very expensive because it literally comes from a tree, but then you've got ebanol which smells like it and is a pretty popular substitute in sandalwood fragrances.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cowofwar posted:

Okay that's not what the word means but I guess retards being retarded.
It's an alternate definition, they aren't that far apart. It's a blurry line even, eg "I got the essentials of the lecture despite also getting a high score in flappy bird."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've actually seen someone with dog allergies be told that they'd have to take the next flight, and presumably hope that no one tries the same bullshit then too.

I've asked to be reseated because I'm super allergic to pets and the woman next to me had a "emotional support pet". I was told the flight was full except for "premium" seats so I could pay to upgrade or they'd put me on the next flight if I wanted, so I just ended up being miserable for six hours.

poo poo sucks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Doc Hawkins posted:

Almost correct: emotional support/comfort/anxiety animals do not qualify as service animals under the ADA, which means that technically, they can be forbidden from any business, just like pets. A doctor's letter isn't enough. If you can't tell them what tasks the animal is trained to do for you, you don't have a leg to stand on.

In practice, of course, people either aren't aware of this, or rationally choose not to make a stink, so a letter like that can go a long way. And it will always work on planes: for some reason, DoT/FAA rules say that emotional support animals with a letter from a licensed mental health professional are allowed on flights, period. So if you already have a pet and travel, I guess that could be GWM: just take Fido with you on your lap instead of buying a carrier and paying the luggage fees, or for boarding at a kennel.

Yes I know that depending on context sometimes they are recognized, but they are almost never legitimate. Those assholes need to cut it out so that people with actual disabilities are taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This makes no loving sense, why is "having to buy" in that sentence. It is like "I can't get what I want, so I will get something else that I don't need but want to meet my addition".

edit: just read this part:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

According to him the reason he "HAD TO" buy another ferret is that his first ferret didnt properly bond to him or something. And that he thought since they were social creatures, the current ferret was just stressed being a loner and that if he got another one both ferrets would be in better moods and then they would both bond completely to him. That was his reasoning at least. Like I said the guy was such a swirling vortex of BWM that sometimes I had trouble keeping it all straight.

He also would eat out for lunch every single day. Not somewhere cheap and lovely like McDonalds either. He'd always go to some food trucks that were parked on our street and drop like $10-15. Then he'd go out to eat or order delivery every single night for dinner. I asked him about cooking and he just threw his hands up and said it was impossible for him to do because he didnt have the money for the equipment.
Ok that's odd logic but whatever.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 18, 2017