Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I've been following the steps of the Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide, and I've reached a section that doesn't make any sense. Under the "Merging Cut Content" section, step 10 talks about doing something in FNVEdit which doesn't seem possible. It says:

I can't find anything labeled record 00134094, and drag-and-drop doesn't seem to be an option in FNVEdit. What am I not getting?

It's there. I can't remember where, but it's a thing that can be done because I've done it myself when I did a fnl run last year or so. Just keep looking through the records. The instructions don't point out where it exactly is? I swear it told me right where I needed to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

chitoryu12 posted:

Other than the Someguy series and Autumn Leaves, what are some examples of good mod quests? I'm playing through the complete Someguy series right now but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I've also already done Project Brazil (in its early form where it just has an empty sandbox land after you escape the Vault), Beyond Boulder Dome, Afterschool Special, DEIMOS (which glitched out on me and became unwinnable), and Dog City Denver.

Tales from the burning sands are pretty awesome little mods, and some of my favourites. They lean more towards puzzle/fetch quest than out and out combat, and there's cool stuff in all of them.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's there. I can't remember where, but it's a thing that can be done because I've done it myself when I did a fnl run last year or so. Just keep looking through the records. The instructions don't point out where it exactly is? I swear it told me right where I needed to look.

I hunted it down eventually, I just wasn't looking the right way. Working my way through all the texture optimizations. Once I optimize the textures that it suggests, what order should I put them in in terms of what overwrites what?

-Optimized Vanilla Textures
-Optimized NMC Textures
-Optimized Ojo Bueno Textures
-Various Weapon and Armor textures

seems like the way to organize it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
vanilla, NMC, ojo is what I do.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Seriously, all this setup is killing me.

My understanding is that merging Project Nevada, WMX, WME, and EVE is some kind of special hell. I understand I can use Convergence, but it doesn't support the pre-order weapons, which seems sad.

Is there another way to make them play nice?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've been having a blast modding New Vegas to make it prettier, perform better, and all around be more fun, but now I want to venture into the more esoteric. Are there any fun mods that essentially bolt a game of a different genre onto NV? I'm thinking of Skyrim mods that turn the game into a farming sim, or a city management game, or even a dating sim or w/e. Not that I would prefer the game be that at all times, but I get a kick out of the novelty of those kinds of mods for Skyrim.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Tallgeese posted:

Seriously, all this setup is killing me.

My understanding is that merging Project Nevada, WMX, WME, and EVE is some kind of special hell. I understand I can use Convergence, but it doesn't support the pre-order weapons, which seems sad.

Is there another way to make them play nice?

WMX and WME do pretty much the same thing. I'd stick with WMX and you can just use the existing patches for it.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Xibanya posted:

I've been having a blast modding New Vegas to make it prettier, perform better, and all around be more fun, but now I want to venture into the more esoteric. Are there any fun mods that essentially bolt a game of a different genre onto NV? I'm thinking of Skyrim mods that turn the game into a farming sim, or a city management game, or even a dating sim or w/e. Not that I would prefer the game be that at all times, but I get a kick out of the novelty of those kinds of mods for Skyrim.

I haven't played it so I can't vouch for it, but I know Real Time Settler turns the game into a RTS, you can build your own wasteland city, etc.

There's also Wasteland Defender, same idea I think but less of a conversion and more just integrated into the vanilla game. Go with RTS if you want something more drastically different.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I'm running FNVEdit to generate bash tags for my mods, but when I try to run Apply Script on YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm, it stops and says "'[1' is not a valid integer value." Where do I go to try and find the problem in YUP?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone other than me get little hangs with stuttering radio audio when CASM saves? Sometimes it doesn't do it but it does it often enough to be annoying. The non-radio music never seems to have an issue.

Also speaking of radio/sound, I was kinda thinking about doing my own sound mod. Is it like doing a texture change, where you just replace a vanilla file or is it more complex? Is there a decent guide or something for it?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gyshall posted:

WMX and WME do pretty much the same thing. I'd stick with WMX and you can just use the existing patches for it.

Yeah, I'll do that.

---

Dear Lord, the default faces are absolutely awful.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 14, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gyshall posted:

Well, one is mainly for melee weapons and one is mainly for guns. Where are you seeing that convergence doesnt work for pre-order weapons?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Novel bug I've encountered. Playing Hardcore with JSawyer Ultimate and the recommended mods from its page. Reached You'll Know It When It Happens. After talking to the ranger and advancing to the president's visit I keel over dead of dehydration as soon as the conversation ends. If I turn off Hardcore I survive, but die as soon as I turn it back on. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Bashed all the other mods that I could. Game loads to the NCR Ranger and stops before the menus appear. Music still plays, but everything stops responding. Time to do the ol' deactivate/reactivate mods one-by-one tango. Before I go hunting for the troublemakers, anyone had this sort of issue while setting up F&L that could shed some light onto what the issue might be?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Novel bug I've encountered. Playing Hardcore with JSawyer Ultimate and the recommended mods from its page. Reached You'll Know It When It Happens. After talking to the ranger and advancing to the president's visit I keel over dead of dehydration as soon as the conversation ends. If I turn off Hardcore I survive, but die as soon as I turn it back on. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

How's your dehydration before the visit? IIRC, the game forces a full night of sleep on you for that quest, which obviously raises your dehydration.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How's your dehydration before the visit? IIRC, the game forces a full night of sleep on you for that quest, which obviously raises your dehydration.

Even with it at 0% the same thing happens.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That's really weird. Did you set the dehydration rate to go faster than normal?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I was able to solve it by using tgm before talking to him. Afterwards my dehydration was at 125% somehow. I drank all my water and turned off god mode and now I seem okay. Oddly it was giving me messages about starvation and sleep deprivation but they were both at 0.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had the same problem with Old World Blues. The time advancement rapidly caused dehydration and death. I haven't had this happen since using Imp's More Complex Needs, though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Bashed all the other mods that I could. Game loads to the NCR Ranger and stops before the menus appear. Music still plays, but everything stops responding. Time to do the ol' deactivate/reactivate mods one-by-one tango. Before I go hunting for the troublemakers, anyone had this sort of issue while setting up F&L that could shed some light onto what the issue might be?

Last time I had that happen was with faulty BSA files. Using TTW?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Make sure you have "allow MO to manage archives" checked on the BSA area in mod Organizer.

Also check mods/bashed patch for errors in xedit

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, one is mainly for melee weapons and one is mainly for guns. Where are you seeing that convergence doesnt work for pre-order weapons?

See Step 2 detailed: Weapon Mods Expanded v1_1_3
WMX-DLC (DLC-Merged option, pre-order patches unsupported)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That sounds to me like that just means pre-order weapons wont have mods. I could be wrong. It's been a while since I played Convergence but I don't recall having any issues with DLCs. Even so, FOOK and probably one of the other mods adds new weapons to the game so its not the hugest loss if you can't use them. I'd say the benefits outweigh the downsides.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Make sure you have "allow MO to manage archives" checked on the BSA area in mod Organizer.

Also check mods/bashed patch for errors in xedit

Gotcha. What should I do if it finds errors? Reinstall the mod?

And no, no TTW.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That sounds to me like that just means pre-order weapons wont have mods. I could be wrong. It's been a while since I played Convergence but I don't recall having any issues with DLCs. Even so, FOOK and probably one of the other mods adds new weapons to the game so its not the hugest loss if you can't use them. I'd say the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Could be "here are patches for it, but we're not going to provide you with tech support if it doesn't work", too. That happens sometimes.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
The culprit was Nevada Skies; they weren't kidding when they said it absolutely has to be at the end of the load order.

Time to take the plunge! Here's to the inevitable game-breaking conflict I discover 50 hours in.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
If you did the full fear and loathing mod list I'd be shocked if you made it that long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My desktop has been unplugged for about a month and it has been several months since I last played New Vegas and I'm afraid that somehow something in my mod list will have broken in that time.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

CFox posted:

If you did the full fear and loathing mod list I'd be shocked if you made it that long.

I'm personally tempted to scrub my install and do it on name alone.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
My personal modding philosophy is less is more. I think I'm down to 20 - 30 mods for my TTW install and it's rock solid and a joy to play. It's easy to get tempted to install the new mod of the week but that always leads to spending more time modding/troubleshooting than actually playing the game. To each his own of course.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Arcsquad12 posted:

My desktop has been unplugged for about a month and it has been several months since I last played New Vegas and I'm afraid that somehow something in my mod list will have broken in that time.

Every fourth Legion member will have pink arms and all sound cues are replaced with the Wild Wasteland chime.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I partially find it more fun to get the mods running together than actually playing at this point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

watho posted:

I partially find it more fun to get the mods running together than actually playing at this point.

It's like a mix of Lego and jenga bricks.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
How up to date are the mod recommendations on the OP? What are some good mods now that I beat the game vanilla, and want to see what's out there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sexual Aluminum posted:

How up to date are the mod recommendations on the OP? What are some good mods now that I beat the game vanilla, and want to see what's out there.

The New Vegas modding scene has slowed down pretty significantly since Fallout 4 was announced, so for the most part it's still good. That said, there are a couple mods that have come out over the past couple years that are worth mentioning:

Loot Menu for FNV: Adds a Fallout 4-esque loot menu to the game. Doesn't always work perfectly, but for the most part it saves a LOT of time while rummaging through containers trying to figure out which one has actual valuables worth keeping.

1st Person Weapon Animation Overhaul: A neat mod that changes a lot of the first-person animations.

The big things to look out for are still on the horizon-The Frontier and Project Brazil. They're both massive quest and worldspace mods that have been worked on for the better part of the last couple years, and both have showcased a lot of really neat work. They're both definitely worth keeping an eye out for when they finally drop.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Still good, I started modding NV a few weeks ago based on OP and pretty much everything was as it should have been.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Also the new TTW update, and I've heard rumors of an updated Project Nevada package as well.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I've heard rumors of an updated Project Nevada package as well.
Any interesting new features in those rumors?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I booted her back up. Played for about ten minutes before the ambient audio of the strip followed me to Nellis and then audio cut out altogether.

Back to the drawing board I guess.
How well does Realistic Wasteland Lighting compare to Nevada skies? I'm only using NSkies because it's weather effects for The Divide are incredible.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, after pruning my modlist, my baseline setup is still 109 plugins. Is there any way I can merge all of my WMX and EVE mods into one happy bundle to cut down on ESPs?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Raygereio posted:

Any interesting new features in those rumors?

For PN, stability and modern scripting (JIP/Lutana)

TTW I'm not sure