Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tfw u listening to ur music library and some arranged yoko shimomura track you're not too familiar with comes on and you're like "this title is in latin... this is from kingdom hearts isn't it, nomura only lets the purest of dead languages touch his projects"

and it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll sacrifice all the indie puzzle games in exchange for yearly picross and laytons

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

It's a bit odd to try to rebut an article that includes stuff like

with "but my switch saves".

Are you trying to say that my not addressing these old revelations that I'm essentially supporting them?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bloodychill posted:

Limbo puzzles were good and Swapper puzzles were good. I really like the small indie puzzle game renaissance.

Eh, Limbo's puzzles relied too much on making you die first before you even noticed then. I thought Inside handled puzzles much better.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Making sure this didn't get lost on the last page

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

I'll sacrifice all the indie puzzle games in exchange for yearly picross and laytons

After paying through 6 Picross games, I very much disagree. They're fun but I've gotten to the point where they're time-fillers like doing the latest cross-word. Not bad at all but nothing like the "ah hah" moments I get from figuring out a puzzle in an indie puzzler.

In any case, these are two things that can very much co-exist as they don't step on each others' toes.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Eh, Limbo's puzzles relied too much on making you die first before you even noticed then. I thought Inside handled puzzles much better.

That's true but on the other hand dying wasn't a big deal at all. I haven't gotten to Inside yet so I can't comment on it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would love an infinite supply of picross or picross-related puzzles to play on subway commutes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

bloodychill posted:

Are you trying to say that my not addressing these old revelations that I'm essentially supporting them?

You're supporting them if you try to shift criticism away from the company committing them with lame whataboutism.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

I would love an infinite supply of picross or picross-related puzzles to play on subway commutes.

I've got good news, if you have a smart phone with a touch screen

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

Do a search for "Picross" and "nonogram" on the App Store or Play Store on your phone, there are a couple dozen apps dedicated to it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ometeotl posted:

You're supporting them if you try to shift criticism away from the company committing them with lame whataboutism.

I was addressing the anti-consumer aspect of the article, which seemed to be its main point, and pointing out they are far from the only company around that engages in those kinds of activities. Using Nintendo is a good route because they are viewed as sacred cow despite the fact that they engage in anti-consumer activity as a matter of course. As Lurdiak brought up, they killed the rental industry in Japan. This is not a whataboutism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

For me it was more that there were actual physics that could screw you over even when you knew what you were trying to do, so my experience was often "die -> figure out what to do -> okay the box bounced weird -> try again -> die -> try again -> succeed"

Which I didn't care for at all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's not crunch time, it's Mario Time

I'm-a gonna win.

quote:

In those days, Miyamoto would come to us at 11 PM, after he finished all of his board-member work, and say, “It’s Mario time.” At that point, we’d start a planning meeting that would run until 2 AM. At that point, Miyamoto would go home, leaving us with the words, “You should return home soon, for your health.” Over the next two or three hours, we’d write the game design documents and summarize the instructions for our artists and programmers.

It was the craziest crunch time that I’ve ever experienced in my development career. But if the God of Games was working so much, could we give up? Miyamoto had incredible stamina.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That is literally the definition of whataboutism. The article is about Valve specifically, pretending that the writer or people reading and agreeing with it are only looking to yell at Valve and thinks others are guilt free is ludicrous. "What about Nintendo or Sony or whatever" is whataboutism because the article is not a look at bad consumer issues in game companies, it's about Valve.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah tons of people are just defaulting to "but other companies are bad too" and dismissing the entire article and I don't really understand it. I guess because Steam is so ubiquitous that having to think about if it's a company that shouldn't be supported for moral reasons is just a huge hassle.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Snak posted:

For me it was more that there were actual physics that could screw you over even when you knew what you were trying to do, so my experience was often "die -> figure out what to do -> okay the box bounced weird -> try again -> die -> try again -> succeed"

Which I didn't care for at all.

Yeah, Inside had a few 'gotcha' moments (very minor spoiler for the opening sequence) like running from the guard and tripping on a branch, but you could always see what you missed as soon as you died, so it wasn't as frustrating as Limbo was.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah tons of people are just defaulting to "but other companies are bad too" and dismissing the entire article and I don't really understand it. I guess because Steam is so ubiquitous that having to think about if it's a company that shouldn't be supported for moral reasons is just a huge hassle.

Lots of points brought up in the article aren't specific to valve, like "a corporation which employs precision-engineered psychological tools to trick people into giving them money in exchange for goods they don't legally own and may never actually use" is just using sales to sell you digital goods. The points that are, like the workshop stuff, are of course valid. If you need an article to tell you that anycorp is not your friend then well you probably need to take a good hard look at that one sonic picture or maybe I'm underestimating how many people take the gaben memes seriously. Also the article is insanely poorly written and reads like whatever the opposite of a fanboy is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ometeotl posted:

That is literally the definition of whataboutism. The article is about Valve specifically, pretending that the writer or people reading and agreeing with it are only looking to yell at Valve and thinks others are guilt free is ludicrous. "What about Nintendo or Sony or whatever" is whataboutism because the article is not a look at bad consumer issues in game companies, it's about Valve.

Valve doesn't exist in a vacuum so it must be placed in context to its competition. The article also rehashes years old problems that have at least officially been addressed or are in the process of being addressed, which makes it come off as a hatchet job. If this wasn't any more obvious, it paints the anti-cheating software that Steam runs for online games as violating user privacy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Valve recently changing the gifting rules to benefit only them, Valve slashing the payments given to the people who make the content that gets them money to begin with is not "on their way to fixing things". Bringing well known internet personas to their offices to discuss things is such a blatant PR move because there's no promise or guarantee of anything changing for the better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A Witcher Netflix show could be really cool if they just made it monster-of-the-week style. Geralt rides into town, takes on a contract, antics ensue. Then have some kind of over-arching Geralt drama that's season long.

Boom, smash-hit. You're welcome Netflix.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

A Witcher Netflix show could be really cool if they just made it monster-of-the-week style. Geralt rides into town, takes on a contract, antics ensue. Then have some kind of over-arching Geralt drama that's season long.

Boom, smash-hit. You're welcome Netflix.

That sounds really hard to reuse sets and locations for. Better make it season-long plots focusing on court intrigue and conspiracies instead.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:lol: Some of those player animations remind me of that old PSX baseball game where you could create custom pitcher animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ometeotl posted:

Valve recently changing the gifting rules to benefit only them, Valve slashing the payments given to the people who make the content that gets them money to begin with is not "on their way to fixing things". Bringing well known internet personas to their offices to discuss things is such a blatant PR move because there's no promise or guarantee of anything changing for the better.

And from what I heard about workshop contributors a few years ago, it wasn't all that great back then. I'm surprised to hear that it got even worse for them considering that their royalties just got a big slash before a major DOTA 2 tournament, which is normally a huge time for them.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't know jack about computers, but is there a reason why Valve even needs to operate Steam as a client vs as an online store, when GOG doesn't require a client at all? Is it the download management and autoupdating stuff?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Red Bones posted:

I don't know jack about computers, but is there a reason why Valve even needs to operate Steam as a client vs as an online store, when GOG doesn't require a client at all? Is it the download management and autoupdating stuff?

because this way they can serve you ads

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Red Bones posted:

It ensures that the games you buy from their platform can only be played on their platform.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gog also has just recently launched its own form of steam client called gog galaxy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Red Bones posted:

Yeah, plus drm. Gog has an opt in client now that is apparently okay.

an actual dog posted:

because this way they can serve you ads

I mean they could serve you ads in a browser too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Also it was basically just DRM for their games. And then just evolved into whatever the hell it is today.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I buy major label games off of humble store cause I get 10% off as a monthly subscriber, and indie stuff from itch.io because itch.io owns. Usually better prices and it all comes as steam keys anyway.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm extreme amounts of late but I get this too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i loving hate steam, loving dogshit anti-consumer practices

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maybe you need some lofi hip hop in your life

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Fetus posted:

And from what I heard about workshop contributors a few years ago, it wasn't all that great back then. I'm surprised to hear that it got even worse for them considering that their royalties just got a big slash before a major DOTA 2 tournament, which is normally a huge time for them.

This is more to come up with ways to protect their customers from predatory developers and workshop contributors. However, they're in this position because of decisions they themselves made to make money with their shop.

Ometeotl posted:

not "on their way to fixing things"

My comment was in response to the employee harassment issues they have had. They're still engaged in anti-consumer activity.

Red Bones posted:

Download management, updates, anti-piracy software, ads, ecosystem, DRM, etc. Same reason Blizzard does it. It's a way to engage with their customers in the way Sony does with PSN, MS does with the Win10 store/xbox marketplace, and Nintendo with the e-store. Since they don't make games anymore, they're basically a storefront.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 17, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This is more to come up with ways to protect their customers from predatory developers and workshop contributors. However, they're in this position because of decisions they themselves made to make money with their shop.

:psyduck: I never mentioned anything about developers and what the hell do you mean by predatory workshop contributors!? What I was referring to was for creating in-game cosmetics and merchandise for DOTA 2.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

lofi anime chillwave seems like a less annoying recommendation than 'is link DEAD in majoras mask??' or w/e

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just adblocked the whole suggestions side bar on Youtube and basically never have to worry about it unless it's what pops up after a video is done.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Maybe you need some lofi hip hop in your life

i actually didn't know this until i tried it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

lofi anime chillwave seems like a less annoying recommendation than 'is link DEAD in majoras mask??' or w/e

I hate our current clickbait reality where the formula is to take some dumbass statement nobody believes is true and attach a question mark to the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

I hate our current clickbait reality where the formula is to take some dumbass statement nobody believes is true and attach a question mark to the end of it.

to be fair, it's just the bastard child of google ads and the old local tv news cycle

• Locked thread