Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is the margin of success for a movie a gross that is double the cost of production and marketing combined? Like a 100 mil picture with 50 mil marketing should break even at 300 mil? This doesn't count the Net because the Net does not exist.

There are a hundred other factors that can factor into that, so it's hard to say for certain. In particular, merchandising. A film that breaks even can still be a success if it pushed enough t-shirts and action figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wasn't there a superman movie that made its budget in merchandising before the movie even premiered?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Wasn't there a superman movie that made its budget in merchandising before the movie even premiered?

probably all of them

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Man of Steel was famously reputedly in the black before it hit theaters, just on the strength of merchandising and product placement.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You all joke, but seemingly the leak also had the movie doing away with the idea of Predators hunting for sport, apparently they've been using the dna of their kills to genetically enhance themselves and to create a new species of super pred.

And hey, Arnold read the script and didn't like it

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/arnold-schwarzenegger-talks-new-movie-aftermath-plus-predator-twins-conan-updates-195430705.html

I trust Shane Black so it's okay but Arnie is a smart dude for movies so it's kinda not optimistic.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gatts posted:

I trust Shane Black so it's okay but Arnie is a smart dude for movies so it's kinda not optimistic.

Counterpoint: Expendables franchise, Sabotage.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Counterpoint: Sabotage is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Counterpoint Terminator Genynsis. The worst studio backed fan film I've seen.

I love the guy, but he's made some goddamn awful repugnant poo poo.

He probably didn't have much to do in the script. I'd assume he would show up for a minute at the end to set up a sequel. Same reason he didn't do Predators. If he's gonna play Dutch again, he's going to play Dutch and not some quick fanboy cameo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

marshmallow creep posted:

Quite a lot of big franchise films make most of their money from merchandise and product placements or at very least enough to cover the cost of the herculean undertaking that is making a blockbuster film.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's the worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm apparently the only person who doesn't like AvP R

it was a terrible movie, so you are not.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just shove a skeleton with a big skull and maybe bits of a flat top in the corner of some shot. Boom, dead Dutch cameo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Counterpoint Terminator Genynsis.

Also good.

Some wild opinions in this thread.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Casimir Radon posted:

Watch more movies. Or develop a keener taste in trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA7s35OnxVo

I will admit that it must really suck to go into Sabotage expecting S.W.A.T. and then getting Super Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCUaH6yPEtw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also good.

Some wild opinions in this thread.

lol this post.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was it common knowledge that in the new Mummy film Russell Crow is playing Dr Hyde in the Nick Fury role of the monster shared universe? because my opinion on how I feel about that is changing by the second.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was it common knowledge that in the new Mummy film Russell Crow is playing Dr Hyde in the Nick Fury role of the monster shared universe? because my opinion on how I feel about that is changing by the second.
Yes. Could really suck, could be alright.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So in this cinematic universe, Nick Fury is also the Hulk?

Also, I saw it on Twitter the other day so I dunno how secret it is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Dr. Jekyll, actually

Lobok posted:

So in this cinematic universe, Nick Fury is also the Hulk?

Also, I saw it on Twitter the other day so I dunno how secret it is.

Universal already dropped footage of Crowe turning into Mr. Hyde a couple days ago to most of the genre/geek media outlets

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

What? It's got Mark Dacascos, Carrie-Anne Moss, Graham Greene, and Tony Todd in it. Sabotage is a great movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What? It's got Mark Dacascos, Carrie-Anne Moss, Graham Greene, and Tony Todd in it. Sabotage is a great movie.

No idea or opinion on this one but let's play "name the incredibly talented people who were involved with a movie that was terrible."

It's happened.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bye bye man

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just started watching GitS against recommendations.

Hey it's Michael Wincott I'd go gay for him.

Movie any good? probably not.

ScarJo pretty and talented? huh she still is.

This movie stinks even though it's very flashy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this is a hour+ long commercial for candy crush saga?

Nope, candy crush is getting a prime time TV show.
In case you haven't seen the ads for it... no, that is not a joke.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

That's not really a counterpoint, it just says that the guy who agreed to be in the Expendables movies thought the new Predator movie script wasn't good enough for him.

Also, the last Terminator was great.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Quote seems more like Arnold thought his part was just a glorified cameo and wanted more.

Also thanks to watching a random video on YouTube they're now recommending me all these awful Alien: Oven Mitt reviews including some morons that have spoilers in the title of their videos.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

syscall girl posted:

No idea or opinion on this one but let's play "name the incredibly talented people who were involved with a movie that was terrible."

It's happened.

It's just that I prefer to believe this is the only movie of that name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117533/

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Greene is a good writer, didn't know he did movies as well!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Quote seems more like Arnold thought his part was just a glorified cameo and wanted more.

Also thanks to watching a random video on YouTube they're now recommending me all these awful Alien: Oven Mitt reviews including some morons that have spoilers in the title of their videos.

Do they answer what the black goo is?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

syscall girl posted:

Hey it's Michael Wincott I'd go gay for him.

I was disappointed Wincott was in this for a mere 3 minutes, most of which he spends hanging from a robogeisha on the wall

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

gently caress you! Don't you scream at me!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It is cool that when they actually do make 80's and 90's style action movies, people hate them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is cool that when they actually do make 80's and 90's style action movies, people hate them.

Sabotage is absolutely 80s/90s as hell. I did not expect how gnarly and gory it was going to be. It was a nice surprise.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

80's and 90's style action movies featuring the best and brightest of the genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzMH6Ehupys

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

wyoming posted:

Nano machines

The same ones the government uses in chemtrails

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Black goo is turnin the frickin frogs gay!!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

wyoming posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Black goo is turnin the frickin frogs gay!!

It's grey goo dumb dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpL5zn1H4UU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

There are countless margins, none with any serious connection to reality. The production budget is only somewhat known, the marketing budget is generally unknown, the cut from theaters can change over time and vary by region, money from merchandising and product placement aren't known, etc. There simply is not a reliable way to judge financial success from the outside for anything but runaway hits and absolute bombs.

My favourite weird Hollywood budget trivia is that Christopher Nolan grew 500 acres of corn for the opening scenes in Interstellar and after shooting he had the crops harvested and sold and actually made a profit on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My favourite weird Hollywood budget trivia is that Christopher Nolan grew 500 acres of corn for the opening scenes in Interstellar and after shooting he had the crops harvested and sold and actually made a profit on them.

Something something Hollywood cutting a profit from corn subsidies. :argh:

• Locked thread