Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Taear posted:

The way that DLC ended was amazing though. I liked it better than Trespasser because I felt it built up and up to a good conclusion instead of having a load of random bollocks and then a good conclusion.

I never got to the ending of that particular DLC. Hence my need to go back.

Drifter posted:

Uhhhh....I sure hope you don't mean gameplay-wise, because MEA has far better combat/movement. And if you do replay it, get the mods that speed up your looting poo poo and the one that speeds up the war table timer poo poo.

DA:I's gameplay is ok, but it's mostly the story that I play DA and ME games for.

Part of my issue with open world games like this is that I get bored after around 60 hours no matter what I fill that 60 horus with, but I always feel compelled to go collect all the collectable crap, so I end up burning 60 hours and getting 35% completion. Maybe I should just try mainlining story and stop loving around...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm no Set, takes me a long time to fill 60 horus.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Yes Citadel was better than all of ME1 and 2 because it gave the fans what they wanted: A 3D dating sim with wall to wall fan service references and fanfiction.net romances.

A truly watershed moment for interactive narratives.

The way your clone died was ok though, relatively speaking.

It's been a while since I played Citadel. I remember liking it but found the fanfic tone jarringly different than the rest of the series, and not in a good way. But at least at that point in the series you actually came to like the relatively large cast of characters that made up your crew. The movie night, by contrast, was a bit much.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As someone who once wished more games went open world, I feel a little foolish now that so many have. That said, to me, it seems the more a games open world setup mimics an MMO, the less satisfying it will be. I can pretty happily drag my sorry rear end character through a Bethesda style open world for a long rear end time, but the further back the camera gets and the more quests that ask me to collect a certain number of whatever widgets the less I like the experience.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
CItadel takes place between the moment SHepard kills Marauder Shields and when she dies trying to get beamed up into uhh...Citadel.

It's a fever dream, the mind's last gasp at trying to make sense of it all.

How did Horizon Zero Dawn do the open world gameplay well? Is it similar to Witcher 3? What's different about it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

that's pretty much everything in ME3, to the point where the entire support of the Rachni is worth, like four Jacobs

I mean any military would be lucky to have four Jacobs, the guy knows what he's doing, but I don't think he's quite on the level of a gargantuan swarm of soldier bugs

Most of your crew worth 25 points due to connections or intel. Jacob knows a lot about Cerberus operations, he can keep the Alliance informed how to counter their tactics, Miranda knows where to strike at their finances and power structures, Mordin leads a science team, that kind of thing.

The exception is Grunt, who is worth 75 points on his own, and is still worth 25 points if he's dead.

Grunt is not to be underestimated.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Pick posted:

I'm no Set, takes me a long time to fill 60 horus.

:rimshot:

remusclaw posted:

As someone who once wished more games went open world, I feel a little foolish now that so many have. That said, to me, it seems the more a games open world setup mimics an MMO, the less satisfying it will be. I can pretty happily drag my sorry rear end character through a Bethesda style open world for a long rear end time, but the further back the camera gets and the more quests that ask me to collect a certain number of whatever widgets the less I like the experience.

Yeah widget collecting is horrible garbage and I wish it would die

RDR and GTA4 and 5 I think had a pretty good mix. I still haven't played witcher 3 so I can't directly comment but I know people say it's the best example of how to do open world right

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

that's pretty much everything in ME3, to the point where the entire support of the Rachni is worth, like four Jacobs

I mean any military would be lucky to have four Jacobs, the guy knows what he's doing, but I don't think he's quite on the level of a gargantuan swarm of soldier bugs

a fully decked out normandy, including a hangar full of resources from strip mining planets imported over from ME2, is worth about as much as the entire salarian combined space navy, or like 3 base value alliance fleets or like 4 megadreadnought destiny ascensions or like 12 livid Zaeeds iirc :stare:

the exact values of war assets were def a little wonky in me3

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

a fully decked out normandy, including a hangar full of resources from strip mining planets imported over from ME2, is worth about as much as the entire salarian combined space navy, or like 3 base value alliance fleets or like 4 megadreadnought destiny ascensions or like 12 livid Zaeeds iirc :stare:

These actually seem about right to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
C'mon guys, the whole assets thing is poo poo to begin with, but it's clearly not meant to represent ACTUAL military prowess. It's a loving meta-numbers game for the dumb gamespergs and a very easy way to show people how their missions in game are affecting things - it's like in-game achievements and nothing more.

That's nitpicking stuff to the EXTREME. :rolleye:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hard counter posted:

The Normandy is the only ship in the galaxy capable of traveling unseen by the Reapers because of its stealth systems, and has the only crew with experience dealing with Reaper machinations. Yes, it is far more valuable than three frigates.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

like 70 of the normandy's war asset score just comes from the citadel dlc, 35 from a standard re-calibration while in dry dock, 35 from the crew getting some r&r - that alone is equal to one destiny ascension, the greatest dreadnought ever built of a class of ships so destructive its regulated by treaty, and greater than all the major ship upgrades put into it from me2 - either way in one ship we're doubling the entire salarian war contribution to the finale if you didn't sabotage the genophage, and they bring a swarm fleet of nimble spy ships with bleeding edge systems and thanix cannons which are individually loosely comparable to the nimble normandy spy ship

pls don't argue that the numerical war asset system wasn't a little silly, i mean it's kind of funny when you notice that grunt himself contributes more to defeating the reapers than all spooky salarian stg ground forces combined :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

remusclaw posted:

Bethesda games are the ultimate mmog-like open worlds because even if you become leader of the mage's guild or whatever nobody cares at all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I never got to the ending of that particular DLC. Hence my need to go back.

I wonder how long this thread will last considering how dead the Deus Ex one became after the series was canned.

Judging by the incredibly levels of denial by the hardcore fans (the ones who went gaga over the Citadel DLC and place it on a pedestal) I reckon it might have legs for a while yet before it sinks in.
(to be clear I'm mostly pointing and laughing at non SA forums when I say this)

I'm going to pluck a number out of my arse and say... 6 months.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

like 70 of the normandy's war asset score just comes from the citadel dlc, 35 from a standard re-calibration while in dry dock, 35 from the crew getting some r&r - that alone is equal to one destiny ascension, the greatest dreadnought ever built of a class of ships so destructive its regulated by treaty, and greater than all the major ship upgrades put into it from me2 - either way in one ship we're doubling the entire salarian war contribution to the finale if you didn't sabotage the genophage, and they bring a swarm fleet of nimble spy ships with bleeding edge systems and thanix cannons which are individually loosely comparable to the nimble normandy spy ship

pls don't argue that the numerical war asset system wasn't a little silly, i mean it's kind of funny when you notice that grunt himself contributes more to defeating the reapers than all spooky salarian stg ground forces combined :v:

Think about how deadly the Normandy crew is already. Now imagine that all of a sudden they're allowed to eat, sleep, and poo poo.

It's a massive increase because my crew is longer dealing with months worth of sleep deprivation and malnourishment, and can finally stop holding in that poo poo they've been keeping in since Priority: Mars.

You can't tell me that doesn't make a huge difference in productivity

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not just ME3, but a complete trilogy set with all the DLC. (Sans maybe Pinnacle Station, because reputedly the source code is just gone. To no real loss though)

The most interesting thing about Pinnacle Station was that it looked a lot like ME2, with the orange and the darker blacks, luscious skyboxing and I think slightly lower camera angle in conversations. It's a neat little medium between ME1 and ME2. The fact that that's the most interesting thing about it is pretty damning.

Also I just found a box of little toy soldiers I fiddled with to make them Mass Effect-y right, right after ME3 came out and I was caning the multiplayer. I used to be crazy into this franchise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many times did they use the word "conventional" in ME3?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Taear posted:

Bethesda games are the ultimate mmog-like open worlds because even if you become leader of the mage's guild or whatever nobody cares at all.

They have their issues, but the feel of just wandering around in them is a good one, which is something Bioware hasn't really successfully managed. Bioware normally does actual characters and dialog a lot better than Bethesda, and probably did it again with Andromeda. Where they fail on that front however is in comparison with their own past efforts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drifter posted:

How did Horizon Zero Dawn do the open world gameplay well? Is it similar to Witcher 3? What's different about it?

I think what Horizon Zero Dawn does well in its open world is that it's respectful of the player's time. The setting, main characters, and inciting incident are all laid out within the first couple hours, and from that point you're free to explore or continue the main narrative, kind of in the same way that Fallout: NV forms its critical path. It's well-paced and you never lose sight of what you're doing or where you're supposed to go next. The world itself has a unique and compelling design. Even the little sidequests have a story to them and character interactions with more depth than helpless catface aliens asking you to collect poo poo, although I wouldn't say they're as detailed as TW3. The crafting bloat is kept to a minimum and all the upgrades have materials that are relatively easy to find. It also helps that the main story is just good sci-fi with some nice twists and turns that are all answered in the ~50 hours it takes to 100% the game. I think that Aloy herself is a solid and well-written protagonist that's light years ahead of cringey Ryder.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

As I mentioned a page or two ago, on top of the below, it's a 3rd person adventure game and so hits a lot of the same buttons mechanically as ME, though without the over the top powers aside from hacking Robo-Dinos and watching them go to town on your enemies. Shooting is more deliberate than MEA and so feels like it takes more skill, to me. There are a diverse set of weapons, not so much in 10 different flavours of assault rifle but there's 6 or 7 different classes of weapon that all play fairly uniquely. Plus it's got really amazing graphics, animations and art design. It's a really pretty game and going from it to MEA was like the longest sad trumpet combined with :flaccid: because it showed what modern tech is capable of and MEA just didn't do any of those things

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I think what Horizon Zero Dawn does well in its open world is that it's respectful of the player's time. The setting, main characters, and inciting incident are all laid out within the first couple hours, and from that point you're free to explore or continue the main narrative, kind of in the same way that Fallout: NV forms its critical path. It's well-paced and you never lose sight of what you're doing or where you're supposed to go next. The world itself has a unique and compelling design. Even the little sidequests have a story to them and character interactions with more depth than helpless catface aliens asking you to collect poo poo, although I wouldn't say they're as detailed as TW3. The crafting bloat is kept to a minimum and all the upgrades have materials that are relatively easy to find. It also helps that the main story is just good sci-fi with some nice twists and turns that are all answered in the ~50 hours it takes to 100% the game.

WOnderful. I'm kinda sad that I can't play it.

exquisite tea posted:

light years ahead of cringey Ryder.
Also, canon Ryder is the boy with just a nutsack, no dick. Cringey Ryder is still in a coma dreaming about making weird faces.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Did the patch break life support hp regen + tactical cloak?

Before you could cloak, get a sliver of hp before cloak stops hp regen, then you immediately uncloak to get the remaining 2ish seconds of hp regen.

Now it seems you dont the hp regen from using any tech skill until cloak is off cooldown.

For example. Cloak. Wait to uncloak. Now use Invasion with Cloak on cooldown. No regen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Regarding Ryder's balls, why model only the balls? If the dick area is never supposed to be seen anyway either make him a Ken doll or go all the way with it. These types of half measures just aren't going to cut it in today's games anymore.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
a tasteful from behind between the legs shot capturing a glimpse of sack might be needed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Regarding Ryder's balls, why model only the balls? If the dick area is never supposed to be seen anyway either make him a Ken doll or go all the way with it. These types of half measures just aren't going to cut it in today's games anymore.

You can probably see edges of the genital lump.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Sensual orb.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
DLC plans called for a shot of Ryder's balls and taint but it's part of a loving relationship so it's actually art, but it'll never see the light of day now that EA's pulled the plug on BioWare Montreal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Testicular glob.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lovingly rendered, photorealistic rear end checks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Love pouch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Passion boil.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010