Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Really? I admit, I'm half a season behind because of time constraints (sadly the case for most series at the moment, just caught up with this season's Doctor Who this weekend for example), but they surely didn't make Steve Rogers a Nazi in the MCU too? That's the point I meant they wouldn't touch on the MCU, after the (deserved) poo poo they caught in the 616. Making the government a oppressive fascist state - well, that's just getting caught up with reality...

Not Cap himself of course (in fact the show not touching on what the Avengers are doing really stands out in this storyline), but they did make one of the main cast into a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Not Cap himself of course (in fact the show not touching on what the Avengers are doing really stands out in this storyline), but they did make one of the main cast into a nazi.

But that leads to some fantastic acting. Though in general the whole cast is one of the best of basic cable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

It might've been worth it if the show was any good,

Then it was absolutely worth it because the show is the best thing Marvel is putting out right now, on TV or in theaters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no point arguing with the legitimately insane.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm watching a show where a head in a jar is controlling dozens of robot clones, a robot woman used The Matrix to become real, and this;

http://i.imgur.com/6aUzQ4s.gifv

It is the most glorious comic book poo poo and owns so hard.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Said head in a jar also recently specified in dialogue that he is Designed Only for Killing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ojjeorago posted:

Said head in a jar also recently specified in dialogue that he is Designed Only for Killing.

I never thought I'd see MODOK but here we are

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ojjeorago posted:

And in The Framework (aka Matrix), the robot lady was referred to as Madame HYDRA and named herself Ophelia.

The Framework is an alternate world where HYDRA rules and the main characters are all HYDRA agents instead of SHIELD agents, and dead characters are back.

It's all so good and I love it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

There's no point arguing with the legitimately insane.
Hey there's no need to be so mean to the AoS haters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YJt6iQPNA

Dafne Keen's audition with Jackman. Notable for seeing him scream obscenities at a child. This is supposedly mostly improvised, which is impressive since it's one of the best scenes in the whole film

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone recommend the Modesty Blaise film that came out about 10 years ago? I've never seen it that I can recall but it says "Quentin Tarantino presents..." on the cover (I assume it's a movie he helped to get released, like The Protector, rather than one he was substantively involved with) which makes me curious as to what it's like.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Jamesman posted:

Then it was absolutely worth it because the show is the best thing Marvel is putting out right now, on TV or in theaters.

I have nothing against AoS, it looks like it's a lot of fun at least some of the time and I'm all for gratuitous Ghost Rider. But that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say, and there's no way you don't know that.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

haitfais posted:

I have nothing against AoS, it looks like it's a lot of fun at least some of the time and I'm all for gratuitous Ghost Rider. But that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say, and there's no way you don't know that.

Not utterly ridiculous...

I mean, it isn't an opinion I'm certain I share, but I understand where it's coming from.
The films obviously have a spectical about them that the show can't match, but having 80-odd hours to tell its story has its own benefits. The show's villains are very well executed for example, and there's more breathing room for character development. Speaking of the characters, AoS is really the only MCU property tackling the 'diversity issues' some people have with the franchise at large. It's a show that lets women and poc feel included in ways that the movies often don't.

Watching this past story arc in particular I was glued to my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. I found myself feeling genuine concern for the fate of the agents that I haven't felt from one of the movies since... Winter Soldier, maybe.

The other thing is that Agents of Shield is consistent in its quality. The Netflix shows might have higher highs in a given episode but comparing the seasons as a whole I'd argue that only Jessica Jones gives AoS real competition.

It really is a good show and deserves more love than it gets.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

haitfais posted:

Out of all the Marvel shows and movies, I am being completely serious when I say AoS is my favorite. Like Yakmouth said, part of it is that it's a regular TV series so my interest is constantly renewed each week, and the other part is that it's just really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone recommend the Modesty Blaise film that came out about 10 years ago? I've never seen it that I can recall but it says "Quentin Tarantino presents..." on the cover (I assume it's a movie he helped to get released, like The Protector, rather than one he was substantively involved with) which makes me curious as to what it's like.

Quentin's presented a lot of poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Yakmouth posted:

The other thing is that Agents of Shield is consistent in its quality. The Netflix shows might have higher highs in a given episode but comparing the seasons as a whole I'd argue that only Jessica Jones gives AoS real competition.

It really is a good show and deserves more love than it gets.

*Applies only after the first 18 episodes.

(I like AoS a lot and the past season has been especially great, but the stink of the 5 month tease from the first season still colors a lot of people's perception of it and they aren't wrong.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The pre-winter break part of the Hive season (was that last year, or two years ago?) was disjointed and kind of weak too.

I know people think the closet speech that tied it all together redeemed it and posted a whole bunch of holky gently caress and peak TV, but I don't feel the same way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I watched 6 episodes of the first season and after like 3 episodes it was just me forcing myself to watch it, so I gave up

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The first season is uneven and the middle third is pretty dire but it's worth powering through because they bring Bill Paxton on and it gets amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hmmm, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe.... I'm starting to think AOS' bad show radiation is what's killing off these actors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe.... I'm starting to think AOS' bad show radiation is what's killing off these actors.

That's just what Ozymandias wants you to believe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no! Olmos :ohdear:

But for real, on my list of greatest MCU moments, that scene in the diner of Skye revealing she knows Ward's a traitor by berating him and showing her absolute disgust is high up there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lurdiak posted:

Aww, now I'm sad.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched 6 episodes of the first season and after like 3 episodes it was just me forcing myself to watch it, so I gave up

Let me just relay the early episodes to get everyone up to speed. This may be long.

The early episodes are kind of "conflict of the week" business where the agents get called in to check out someone with superpowers or doing dangerous experiments, or collecting items that are alien and too dangerous to be in the wrong hands. There are some underlying connections with most of these missions though, with a company called Centipede doing shady poo poo, an industrialist involving himself with lots of shady poo poo, and a cybernetics company connected to both. Meanwhile, Coulson believes he was clinically dead for a few minutes and saved, and the real story is being hidden from him. Questions get raised as Coulson keeps experiencing strange after-effects of his near-death experience, and Centipede seems eager to learn more about what actually happened to him, so they can use it themselves. Since these are, for the most part, subplots to the aforementioned "conflict of the week," it feels like the show is spinning its wheels and focusing on characters who are just glorified grunts, not very different from any other SHIELD agents, except for being a team assembled by Coulson.

When Captain America: The Winter Soldier revealed that not only was HYDRA still in existence, but had infiltrated SHIELD, HYDRA goes all in and comes out of hiding and sends a message to all their agents. Centipede turns out to be a HYDRA front and people within SHIELD on the show turn out to be HYDRA. Now the underlying plots become the main plots and the driving force for the team to do the poo poo they do. It's a significant enough shift that people consider this the turning point for the show. However, the episodes prior to this build all that up and introduce you to things that pay off later. The impact of this change isn't really felt unless you see where the change comes from. I feel the episodes are good enough to be worth watching, as even if nothing feels significant, you are seeing the team come together and learning about these characters. I look back at the early episodes with fondness, seeing what those seeds have grown into and feeling very satisfied with the payoff.

It may seem like a lot to suggest a person watch a bunch of episodes of a show they genuinely don't like, but I do feel like if someone sticks with the show until that turning point, there's a good chance they will find themselves enjoying the show and not regretting the journey there. Or it could just be the show really isn't for them and they just wasted 17+ hours of their life that they could have used to play Angry Birds on the toilet or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey guys? Did you know that parts of season 1 of Agents of SHIELD are pretty bad?

Did you know that? Guys? Guys did you know?

Hey gu

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Since you jerks aren't going to watch it anyways, in addition to Coulson not being dead, he's also a Ghost Rider now.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ojjeorago posted:

Since you jerks aren't going to watch it anyways, in addition to Coulson not being dead, he's also a Ghost Rider now.

Okay, you've got my attention.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what makes no sense? Ghost Riders gain more power in their cars, but if you Ghost Ride the whip you are explicitly outside of your car.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

Hey guys? Did you know that parts of season 1 of Agents of SHIELD are pretty bad?

Hey gu

They're not though. That's my point. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gavok posted:

Oh no! Olmos :ohdear:

But for real, on my list of greatest MCU moments, that scene in the diner of Skye revealing she knows Ward's a traitor by berating him and showing her absolute disgust is high up there.

It was the look on his face when she called him a Nazi.

It was the most priceless thing in the world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

haitfais posted:

Okay, you've got my attention.

Next year's budget means they won't do anything with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's especially funny that Marvel is all "No Hydra isn't Nazis please buy our books!" while their TV show has their main characters saying "All Hydra are Nazis. And don't you ever (loving) forget it."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Hey gu

You think BvS is good, so your opinion is not remotely trustworthy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is the movie, thread. Take all the AoS stuff to the TV thread if you want to discuss it that much.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You think BvS is good, so your opinion is not remotely trustworthy.
HOW DARE YOU SPREAD THIS BASELESS LIE ABO okay yes I did say something like that once.

I said that I liked it.

Didn't mean it was good. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked it because it was good. I've only seen each version once though. The second version was better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O: You nerds stop talking about a TV show, this is the movie thread!

Goons: BvS was good!

Monkey's paw: *shrivels*

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

X-O: You nerds stop talking about a TV show, this is the movie thread!

Goons: BvS was good!

Monkey's paw: *shrivels*

Quick everyone, rank these three movies.

Man of Steel
Batman v (the "v" stands for "vs") Superman
Suicide Squad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ok, hypothetical here, but say DC/WB decides to pull their heads out of their asses. They decided to make fun of themselves and BvS especially with say, a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie. Who do you cast as Ted, who as Mike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You already ranked them in correct order. Whether you love, hate, or generally have no strong feelings, I think most would come up with that same order.

• Locked thread