Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Anidav posted:

Q: Would an ALP that didn't pander to Inner Sydney racists be electable?

Lol at this coming from someone living in QLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Guardian and Insiders have both talked about it (Cassidy asked him about it directly) but since then Dutton's been hiding in his 2GB safe space with Ray "Hug a Lib" Hadley.
We were hoping for a question time assault.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

We were hoping for a question time assault.

Freudian Slip posted:

Lol at this coming from the ALP

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The ALP are probably angry they didn't think of it themselves.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

Yes, but if they attack the LNP on refugees, they will upset the Howard battlers and swing voters. *beep boop* the best decision is to implicitly endorse it so you'll keep the support from the base and get the xenophobe/bigot vote. Nothing bad will come from this.

I feel this is still a free kick for the ALP, because there's a pretty massive delta between "Stop the boats" and "actually torturing refugees"- not just people seeking asylum, but people who have been granted genuine refugee status. It's not a distinction that is so complicated that most 'middle Australians' wouldn't understand it, if it were presented to them correctly. The distinction between stopping "queue jumpers" as the Stop the Boats crowd put it, and knowingly, willingly and overtly punishing people who have been deemed to be genuine refugees is pretty massive.

We knew they were doing it, but it was always a case of someone's word VS the governments, and they've always been able to hide behind manufactured opsec bullshit - this is undeniable proof that they've been behaving in an openly malicious manner towards these people.

I think suggesting that the bulk of the much desired swing vote (i.e. people who could bring themselves to vote for the LNP, but might not) can't appreciate that distinction is disingenuous and cynical, even for this crowd.

(incidentally, is probably going to give Julian Burnside's ICC case a fuckload of ammo, even if it doesn't achieve much other than further our international embarrassment).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

I bought two avocados to make guacamole. Where does that place me on the entitled millennial scale?

Homeless.

Also don't expect any outrage over torturing refugees. Australia has already shown that a majority of citizens are totally ok with this.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Don Dongington posted:

I feel this is still a free kick for the ALP, because there's a pretty massive delta between "Stop the boats" and "actually torturing refugees"- not just people seeking asylum, but people who have been granted genuine refugee status. It's not a distinction that is so complicated that most 'middle Australians' wouldn't understand it, if it were presented to them correctly. The distinction between stopping "queue jumpers" as the Stop the Boats crowd put it, and knowingly, willingly and overtly punishing people who have been deemed to be genuine refugees is pretty massive.

We knew they were doing it, but it was always a case of someone's word VS the governments, and they've always been able to hide behind manufactured opsec bullshit - this is undeniable proof that they've been behaving in an openly malicious manner towards these people.

I think suggesting that the bulk of the much desired swing vote (i.e. people who could bring themselves to vote for the LNP, but might not) can't appreciate that distinction is disingenuous and cynical, even for this crowd.

(incidentally, is probably going to give Julian Burnside's ICC case a fuckload of ammo, even if it doesn't achieve much other than further our international embarrassment).

You're falling into the trap of thinking people wanted the boats stopped rather than it all being an excuse to bang drums about making GBS threads on brown people. Stopping the boats was never the goal - hurting the 'other' was.

---------------------------

Have some loving charts by that chart guy that was a blogger but sold out to the MSM when the MSM outed his secret identity or some bullshit.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
:bravo: Adelaide

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

You're falling into the trap of thinking people wanted the boats stopped rather than it all being an excuse to bang drums about making GBS threads on brown people. Stopping the boats was never the goal - hurting the 'other' was.

---------------------------

Have some loving charts by that chart guy that was a blogger but sold out to the MSM when the MSM outed his secret identity or some bullshit.

I'm the miraculous wage growth rebound because of [CRC error file not found].

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bogan King posted:

It was also (under Howard) a way of distracting people from record levels of normal immigration.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

As a serial killer this will make my life very difficult.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You can absolutely win an election without campaigning on cruelty to asylum seekers if you're competent and courageous enough to craft a palatable alternative narrative.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Start a campaign to deport anybody who came to Australia by boat and all of their family members, even if they were born on Australian soil. Watch as the Australian public gleefully votes to evict themselves from their own country.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Strike's back on for tomorrow! Enjoy the peak hour carparks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Why did they replace that sign? There was nothing wrong with the old one.

Who can I blame for this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ssmagus posted:

The left.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I think you mean the perfidious left.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ssmagus posted:

Labor's Fault [tm] M'Lud.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

News.com.au posted:

FINDING a park near the popular beaches in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs has become ridiculously hard.
But this Maserati driver came up with a highly unusual solution.
He simply drove his luxury car on to the sand at Camp Cove in Watsons Bay — and unsurprisingly, got stuck.
Unfazed, the motorist jumped out of the sports car and relaxed in the sun until police arrived to question him.
Dressed in floral boardshorts, sunglasses and a cap with a Maserati logo on it, he calmly smoked cigarettes, listened to Bob Marley on the car’s audio system and practised his golf swing.
“What’s the criminal offence?” he asked one of the police officers who came to investigate. “Where’s the sign that says I can’t park here?”
He then added: “Look, I’m a lawyer.”
A spokesperson for NSW Police told news.com.au: “At 10.15am today, police attended Camp Cove beach at Watsons Bay after receiving information a car had been driven on to the beach.
“Police arrived and found a 51-year-old man had driven a Maserati on to the sand.
“The car was towed from the beach and the man was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital.”

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well my NBN connection went off without a hitch.

95/35 on sync ratios, but I doubt I'll ever pull much more than 60 down the pipe given the congestion in the area. Now I've just gotta decide if it's worth saving 20-30 a month by switching to an ISP that does a 50/20 plan or not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

A federal police raid on the eastern suburbs office of property development firm Rommark turned violent on Wednesday when company director Michael Teplitsky allegedly crash tackled a photographer and was handcuffed in front of horrified shoppers.

Australian Federal Police officers raided the company's Double Bay office on Wednesday morning as part of a wider investigation into fraud and money laundering.

Mr Teplitsky, 48, was arrested during the dramatic operation after he allegedly attacked a photographer who was documenting the raid and had to be subdued by six officers.

His new girlfriend, socialite Olivia Korner, allegedly pulled the hair of a Fairfax reporter and screamed at officers outside the mezzanine office, prompting shoppers to flock out of the clothing boutiques downstairs.

However, it's understood the AFP investigation is not aimed at Rommark's multimillionaire directors, Mr Teplitsky and 50-year-old Boris Markovsky, but, rather, someone associated with them or their business.

Fairfax Media does not suggest the pair have any knowledge of, or involvement in, the alleged misconduct.

It's understood Mr Markovsky opened the door to plainclothes police on Wednesday with his morning coffee in hand.

Officers searched the premises late into the evening, sorting through files and reading piles of documents.

While the operation was under way, Mr Teplitsky invited a Fairfax reporter into the office to ask questions. However, police said no one was allowed in.

Mr Teplitsky then said "if that photographer doesn't stop taking my photo in one second I'm going to lose it" and "I don't care if [the police] are here, I will do it".

He then ran over to the photographer and allegedly tackled him to the ground.

About 10 officers ran out of the Rommark premises, with some yelling at Mr Teplitsky to stop resisting arrest.

Mr Teplitsky's sister, Victoria, and Ms Korner tried to intervene to stop the arrest, screaming "he's not resisting" and "get off him".

Another man threatened Fairfax Media outside the building, grabbing a mobile phone and saying "you don't want to mess with us".

It's understood Mr Teplitsky was taken away in handcuffs to calm down and later released without charge.

Police remained tight-lipped on the investigation but confirmed that "a number of search warrants are being conducted in Sydney as part of an ongoing investigation".

"Further details will be provided at an appropriate time," an AFP spokesman said.

Ukrainian-born Mr Teplitsky and his wife, Angela, bought "Aussie" John Symond's Point Piper penthouse for $13.3 million earlier this year.

However, the couple have since initiated divorce proceedings.

Rommark advertises itself as Sydney's "prestigious boutique developers" behind projects including The Gallery at Double Bay and Genoa of Bondi Junction.

Mr Teplitsky's vast portfolio of developments includes the forthcoming 19-storey luxury 8Hotel on Wentworth Avenue in Surry Hills, and the century-old 100 Harris Street building in Pyrmont, occupied by Fairfax Media's real estate site Domain.

This has mob written all over it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/adamcorlett/status/864784637494743040

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Don Dongington posted:

95/35 on sync ratios, but I doubt I'll ever pull much more than 60 down the pipe given the congestion in the area. Now I've just gotta decide if it's worth saving 20-30 a month by switching to an ISP that does a 50/20 plan or not.

Go with Aussie Broadband, they're building their own network. I get consistent 90-95MB speeds since they ditched Optus, before it was unusable at peak times.

http://aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the recession we deserve, but not the one we need right now

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Who did you go with?

So far my NBN experience has been poo poo.
My order was processed 8/5 and my connection actually switched on 15/5 meanwhile there's no sign of the new modem I ordered from the ISP, so I've got no internet and no phone. I didn't get notification that they were switching over until the day after it happened.

I called support and was promised the hardware should arrive today but that was utter crap, the guy didn't even look up tracking information, he just pretended to. It wasn't in his script and he wasn't very good at improvising, he had no details. I would have hoped they'd wait for a delivery confirmation before flicking the switch, but nooo.

Meanwhile my work (school) PC has died, boss is breathing down my neck about wannacrypt patches, downloading patches from Microsoft is blocked until after 4pm and work internet is slow as poo poo even if my PC wasn't dead, and I could really do with not having to download this poo poo on my phone since I can't do it at home like usual. Doesn't seem like anything upstream was patched, education department policy seems to have been "patch things never". So yeah instead of spending money to give us faster than 1mb internet since it was getting bogged down by automatically downloaded updates, they put a blanket block to Microsoft and Apple servers until after school hours. Also the school isn't eligible for an NBN connection upgrade since we never had an ADSL connection that could be upgraded. It's all been extremely frustrating.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I've been on FTTH for about two years. Between connection (I was the first on my node) until about a month or two after the copper was disconnected, the ISP would have to play catch-up with CVC provisioning. This occurred about four times with slowdowns ahoy until provisioning then back to good. Since a couple months after the copper was cut, it's been pretty peachy even in the dreaded school holiday times. i'm pulling around 9.7 megabytes a second on my 100 megabit plan as I type during this peak period.

Due the the fact that you cant over provision CVC back haul for expected demand without going broke, most decent ISPs will lag and catch up until all the nodes are full and subscriber numbers settle down. Hopefully with the new CVC pricing coming in, this will be less hosed and good ISP's can provision a little more to cope with the growth of sign ups and not piss so many people off.

Except for those truly wretched ISP's, like Optus. They seem to be just fuckwits.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stoca Zola posted:

Who did you go with?

I stayed with iinet just to see what my line could do before I decided to move. It's overpriced, I can't top 50mb/sec and they don't offer a 50mbit plan, just the 100/40 for $99. While the prov job went fairly smoothly, apparently that's not the norm.

I'm gonna look at aussibroadband and myrepublic and skymesh and a few others now I know I have a good line and I'm on the network.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Screw you guys with NBN. I still waiting for my area to even start implementing Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) apparently.

(I'm in Thornbury, Victoria btw)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
According to the NBNco website my street is only getting HFC. I assume this is a bad thing in comparison to actual fibre?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Everything is bad compared to actual fibre.

That's kinda why nerds are mad at Malcolm.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Periphery posted:

According to the NBNco website my street is only getting HFC. I assume this is a bad thing in comparison to actual fibre?

its cable, so that poo poo some people had over 10 years ago you now get that (plus the massive slowdowns when everyone is on at once)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I'm getting FTTN, while the assholes 1km up the road from me are getting FTTdp :frog:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Which one of you fucks is Pope?

https://twitter.com/davpope/status/864817627029307393

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bob Katter is giving Chanel poo poo for their designer boomerang. Apparently this is a thing that is happening.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/864788710822260736

:discourse:

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Aussie property flippers is so gross

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I didn't think Pope could be more amazing, but here we are.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Old people.txt

https://twitter.com/larissawaters/status/864711112914161668

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Pwnstar posted:

Start a campaign to deport anybody who came to Australia by boat and all of their family members, even if they were born on Australian soil. Watch as the Australian public gleefully votes to evict themselves from their own country.

Ooh, do I get to stay because of an early 1900s photograph showing my ancestor making eyes at a stolen girl and everything after that concerning my great-grandparents being suspiciously hushed up, or do I have to do a genetic test?

Hmm, in any case, fossil evidence clearly states that the Aboriginal people are also immigrants, they just illegally immigrated 40-50 thousand years ago. We should probably deport them back to Indonesia, where they came from.

• Locked thread