Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Discovery bridge is hideous, it looks like the aborted love child of the Sovereign and Defiant. I like the uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Oh good, it's also getting a companion talk show. And I guess two more episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

Oh good, it's also getting a companion talk show. And I guess two more episodes.

Adding to the episode order seems like a pretty clear signal that they've made significant changes to Fuller's original outline.

On the other hand, it could be a sign that CBS has faith in the series. Or they've been running roughshod so much in shooting that they have enough material for more episodes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bridge looks too dark.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Trailer on CBS lovely site. Might be US only.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/LeDfVOm_JkJcYJF9ju2izuFJBnF_qJsG/star-trek-discovery-first-look-trailer/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Getting a serious Enterprise vibe from that bridge pic

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So ... Discovery launches, runs into trouble, Jason Isaacs bites it immediately, Michelle Yeoh and the Shenzhou come to assist, and at the end of the pilot, after hand-holding, Number One takes command.

Edit: Noticed that we saw the Shenzhou but I don't think a bit of Discovery. Wonder if they're redoing it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Star Trek is old enough now that people have expectations regarding it. Where in the creation of the films or of TNG, the show runners could come up with some interesting new set designs or concepts, now, they are pressured to make it look like "Star Trek". It's a bummer. The more something becomes an institution, the less interesting it is allowed to be.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Timby posted:

Edit: Noticed that we saw the Shenzhou but I don't think a bit of Discovery. Wonder if they're redoing it.

I was wondering about that. I guess the one in the clouds is the Shenzhou?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"My people are biologically programmed to sense the coming of death"

the gently caress?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Star Trek is old enough now that people have expectations regarding it. Where in the creation of the films or of TNG, the show runners could come up with some interesting new set designs or concepts, now, they are pressured to make it look like "Star Trek". It's a bummer. The more something becomes an institution, the less interesting it is allowed to be.

Trek was 20 years old when TNG came out and people sure as hell had expectations concerning what Trek was and how they needed to take care to make a show congruent to the idea of Star Trek, not least the people who made the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Evek posted:

I was wondering about that. I guess the one in the clouds is the Shenzhou?

Yeah, I'm almost certain every ship scene is the Shenzhou. Looks just like the John Eaves concept art that's been floating around. I wouldn't be surprised if the Discovery itself is MIA until the Part II or very end of the pilot.

Still hate those Klingon designs, they remind me of the hideous STID designs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm also really, really not feeling James Frain as Sarek.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

skasion posted:

Trek was 20 years old when TNG came out and people sure as hell had expectations concerning what Trek was and how they needed to take care to make a show congruent to the idea of Star Trek, not least the people who made the show.

Yeah but it was 20 years old and pretty much a failed if popular tv show, a cartoon, and a couple of movies that were of mixed regard. Things needed adjusting and the creator were willing to dream big even if they couldn't realize their vision. No one now days is interesting in making Trek set in what is essentially a flying city with Dolphin navigators.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

"My people are biologically programmed to sense the coming of death"

the gently caress?

This was dumb as poo poo. He can biologically predict someone is going to get killed in a Klingon fight or whatever?

Edit: Also, was that baby Spock? If so, why? Move on, make new characters.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Not really sold on the bridge either. Even after all the crap that the new movies are I still really like the Kelvin bridge. Something like that could work.

Hell maybe thats not even the Discovery bridge. You'd think they show off the new ship more prominently.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Official YouTube trailer link; might be region-locked to the US, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hopefully the trailer just has some heavy filtering on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

I'm also really, really not feeling James Frain as Sarek.

He reminds me of Soval from Enterprise.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Soval was cool though. He was down with humans at the end.

And I guess the fungus is going to be this series Spock-like character from how they're showing him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, that trailer is hot loving garbage

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Barry Convex posted:

Official YouTube trailer link; might be region-locked to the US, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Thank you, was about to ask if it was up anywhere else. CBS's lovely flash thing wasn't working on any browser I tried...

Hot takes:

- Agreed that the bridge looks very NX-01.

- That Vulcan kid with the "too human" tongue had better not be Spock.

- I like the big chunky flip communicators; they look a bit like the clear ones from The Cage.

- The "igniter enable" thing during the thruster suit part is a nice little callback to TMP -- that's the exact wording on the control of Spock's suit that sends him shooting forward into the guts of V'ger.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bridge looks like NX-01 meets Ent-E

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
He's like a cat in a nursing home. He hops on the gurney and cuddles the next old person to die whispering discreetly "This one...Not gonna make it"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

This was dumb as poo poo. He can biologically predict someone is going to get killed in a Klingon fight or whatever?

Edit: Also, was that baby Spock? If so, why? Move on, make new characters.

It would have to be in flashback if so. Even if we're going by the new movie timeline where the entire Enterprise crew are twentysomethings, Spock wasn't THAT young ten years before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you look at the key art/poster they unveiled, you can see a tiny version of the Discovery. Looks like it still has the same profile as the original reveal. I'd link the poster, but I'm phoneposting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pretty sure the kid with the human tongue is supposed to be babby Burnham/Raineford/whatever her name is now. They seem to be setting Sarek up as her mentor, which seems like overkill considering Captain Michelle Yeoh is also doing that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Welp we're hosed.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh my God, guys.

This looks really loving good.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Fox is coming out with Orville
CBS is coming out tentatively with Discovery

There should be a third sort of Star Trek series coming out just to round it out

You know how Forbidden Planet was loosely one of the inspirations for Star Trek? And how it's loosely based on The Tempest? What if there was a series based in the Forbidden Planet universe where every major storyline is an adaptation of a Shakespeare play / classical myth / classical novel? Eh? Call it something post-modern like Space Opera

Just put me in the credits

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

remusclaw posted:

Yeah but it was 20 years old and pretty much a failed if popular tv show, a cartoon, and a couple of movies that were of mixed regard. Things needed adjusting and the creator were willing to dream big even if they couldn't realize their vision. No one now days is interesting in making Trek set in what is essentially a flying city with Dolphin navigators.

That's an incredible re-writing of history (and I say that as someone who was old enough to be excited for the start of TNG). Star Trek was huge through the 70s and 80s, the three seasons in constant syndication, tens of millions of dollars thrown at the first attempt at a new series a decade before TNG. As for " a couple movies of mixed regard"... The Motion Picture was a huge cultural phenomenon (even if it had serious flaws), Khan is still regarded by many fans as the best movie, and The Voyage Home was a hit that expanded Trek's appeal well into the mainstream, and remained the most financially successful Trek film for almost a quarter of a century.

I do agree that, these days, they are far more likely to play it safe then Gene did with TNG. But that has more to do with modern studios and less to do with Trek being somehow "failed" in the 80s.

As for that Discovery trailer...the dialogue was awful and the acting was wooden. It really, really looks like a cheap fan production. I like the lead actress, but all that trailer did was make me even more worried about the show.

DentArthurDent fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 17, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't say that this looks good, but I can say that I'm glad Netflix UK is getting it so I can see how not good it turns out to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

skasion posted:

Wow, that trailer is hot loving garbage

This makes me not mind that the trailer is loving region locked. gently caress you CBS.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

This makes me not mind that the trailer is loving region locked. gently caress you CBS.

lol

How do I youtubed?!?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

The lighting kind of bugs me. The bright lights that sort of shift around. It's not a lens flare but it's drat close. I'll also assume there aren't going to be as many dutch angles in the finished product.

But that better not be a Klingon burial. Klingons don't got burials cause they don't care about that stuff :colbert: and give them some hair

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

lol

How do I youtubed?!?

The youtubes been region locked too, ya greenblooded smart rear end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm sure this isn't the reason, but the cynic in me interprets that episode order extension as CBS ensuring one more month of subscriptions for their lovely service.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Steve2911 posted:

I can't say that this looks good, but I can say that I'm glad Netflix UK is getting it so I can see how not good it turns out to be.

The Netflix UK trailer is really weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoV3kc05Nwc

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DentArthurDent posted:

That's an incredible re-writing of history (and I say that as someone who was old enough to be excited for the start of TNG). Star Trek was huge through the 70s and 80s, the three seasons in constant syndication, tens of millions of dollars thrown at the first attempt at a new series a decade before TNG. As for " a couple movies of mixed regard"... The Motion Picture was a huge cultural phenomenon (even if it had serious flaws), Khan is still regarded by many fans as the best movie, and The Voyage Home was a hit that expanded Trek's appeal well into the mainstream, and remained the most financially successful Trek film for almost a quarter of a century.

I do agree that, these days, they are far more likely to play it safe then Gene did with TNG. But that has more to do with modern studios and less to do with Trek being somehow "failed" in the 80s.

As for that Discovery trailer...the dialogue was awful and the acting was wooden. It really, really looks like a cheap fan production. I like the lead actress, but all that trailer did was make me even more worried about the show.

Yeah V was the one released mid TNG, for some reason my head told me IV. No you aren't off. I miss the willingness to do something different within the framework of the property. DS9 did it, but they apparently ran screaming from that afterward, making two shows intended to recapture the past highs rather than reaching for something new. I would argue the Kelvin movies are a similar retreat from interesting into safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
This one works for Canada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xhb-mGU2w

Not sure about the other region lockings.

I think it looks like it's a show from this decade. The writing will be whether or not it feels like star trek.

I'll spoil this just in case someone wants to save themselves for Discovery for some reason. I guess we're modifying the klingons again to include cheek and jaw ridges? Also weren't they all smooth and swarthy during this time period?