Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, what's the last retrogame that you'd expect to get a movie adaptation in 2017?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumQ6XaL6kA

Dang, my guess was Shaq-Fu...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would only trust James Gunn to direct. Slither was 80s camp in a modern setting with amazing special effects. But dude is making that Disney money now.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

It'd better be the hilariously awful TG-CD version.

I'm drownin' in the sea of love over here.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
This reminds me that I never beat the ant missions from Red Alert and I should play those again.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I like that the giant ant roars like a dinosaur

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, what's the last retrogame that you'd expect to get a movie adaptation in 2017?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumQ6XaL6kA

Finally, SimAnt gets the recognition it deserves.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the yellow ant is hungry... FOR BLOOD

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
At some point when I was really young, I developed a habit for mashing the start button in Mario games on NES when I was making a big jump. Where in the gently caress did I get the idea to do that and am I alone on this?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Impromptu "slow" mode that a lot of old 3rd party controllers liked to advertise?

I know Megaman 2 kind of does some gymnastics when you rapidly pause and unpause while in the air, which can make your jumps longer and get you stuck in a part of Bubble Man's stage, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Phantasium posted:

Impromptu "slow" mode that a lot of old 3rd party controllers liked to advertise?

I know Megaman 2 kind of does some gymnastics when you rapidly pause and unpause while in the air, which can make your jumps longer and get you stuck in a part of Bubble Man's stage, though.

We had an NES Advantage and even when I was four I figured out that slow motion was just auto fire pausing and I used to play Life Force like that all the time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey, tell me everyone here didn't fully take advantage of jamming on the pause button in Mega Man 1 to beat the rock monster boss.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Medullah posted:

Hey, tell me everyone here didn't fully take advantage of jamming on the pause button in Mega Man 1 to beat the rock monster boss.

It's the only way i've beaten it and I still count it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Medullah posted:

Also half the bosses in Blaster Master. I think it was literally alternating bosses that were vulnerable to , "throw grenade, pause while grenade is exploding, damage continues to build while paused."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I keep forgetting to post this. Not sure if it interests anyone else.
Nintendo used to own a most of the Seattle Mariners. I went on a tour of Safeco Field and got to see the owner's box, and there's basically a shrine to Hiroshi Yamauchi.
http://imgur.com/a/BQkB9

Also, I just got a Mega Everdrive x5! The first thing I loaded up was Sonic 2XL. I can't wait to play Crusader of Centy. What are the must-play mods and translations?

I tried that demo that was posted recently, but apparently the rom is too big. =(

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Also, I just got a Mega Everdrive x5! The first thing I loaded up was Sonic 2XL. I can't wait to play Crusader of Centy. What are the must-play mods and translations?

I tried that demo that was posted recently, but apparently the rom is too big. =(

IIRC it only works on Mega Everdrive, or X7, as it's branded now. The save function is also quite nice for the modern gamer who might not have the time to play a game start to finish.

If you're looking for various enhancements, Pyron's color patches make many Megadrive games look quite good. I especially like the Streets of Rage 2 one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This specific special build of Sonic Megamix is a must-play on the real hardware.

If you like the cute and cheerful Rainbow Islands then definitely check out the grimdark robotic Genesis version.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RZA Encryption posted:

I Also, I just got a Mega Everdrive x5! The first thing I loaded up was Sonic 2XL. I can't wait to play Crusader of Centy. What are the must-play mods and translations?

King Colossus is a decent action rpg thats pretty easy to just pick up and play. Monster world IV too.

I suck at shooters but love to play, there's some trained thunder force 3/4 roms that are fun to spend 200 lives on to beat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TeaJay posted:

IIRC it only works on Mega Everdrive, or X7, as it's branded now. The save function is also quite nice for the modern gamer who might not have the time to play a game start to finish.

If you're looking for various enhancements, Pyron's color patches make many Megadrive games look quite good. I especially like the Streets of Rage 2 one.
This is a good segue into my Everdrive questions!

I just got a Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive N8, and Everdrive64 v2, are there some good ROM portals I should trawl through for good fan-made ROMs, etc?

Also I don't know if asking for sites to download vanilla game ROMs is considered :filez: or not in this era of the Virtual Console.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It technically is, but you want "No-Intro" releases to use on Everdrives. You can readily find them via Google. If you just grab any old ROM, it'll probably be unsuitable for actual hardware.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's not entirely true, though some on newer consoles might perform oddly if they were emulator/flash cart patched. NES/Genesis/SNES/N64 stuff should basically just work.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

You probably want the "good" sets. GoodGen, etc.

And then decode names to weed out the crap.

https://64bitorless.wordpress.com/rom-suffix-explanations/

falz fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 18, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I actually had a ton of trouble with Goodgen on my Mega Everdrive. I'd get red screens on every other ROM, which means bad checksum I think. When I got No-Intro, the issues completely vanished. There are many reports of the same on Krikzz's forums

Edit: It probably is a YMMV situation depending on which set you grab from where, but like I said, No-Intro is generally recommended. At least for Genesis.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Vixen 357 is a pretty good Japan-only MD game - it's a sci-fi SRPG by the team that made the classic Langrisser games and it was translated late last year: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2738/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

azurite posted:

I actually had a ton of trouble with Goodgen on my Mega Everdrive. I'd get red screens on every other ROM, which means bad checksum I think. When I got No-Intro, the issues completely vanished. There are many reports of the same on Krikzz's forums

Edit: It probably is a YMMV situation depending on which set you grab from where, but like I said, No-Intro is generally recommended. At least for Genesis.
Awesome, thanks!

Idiot everdrive question: if I'm putting files on the microSD card for my Mega Everdrive, and I got a No-Intro pack that has a ton of .ZIP files in it, do I have to extract each of those ZIP files and put the .MD file on the microSD card or can I just put the .ZIP files themselves?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They need to be unzipped. I wonder how long a 68000 would take to unzip poo poo however. Who has an amiga 500 laying around to answer?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

They need to be unzipped. I wonder how long a 68000 would take to unzip poo poo however. Who has an amiga 500 laying around to answer?

You'd have to feel that nagging pain of guilt every time you ran pkunzip, though, since you couldn't pay for it anymore.

Anyway, I broke out Clockwork Knight for the first time in a long time this evening. I don't know what Sega was thinking with this game. It would have been a weak game on the Genesis. It feels like a mid-tier NES platformer, the kind that you wouldn't mind playing but you're be thinking of better games as you did it. Clockwork Knight doesn't live up to the standards of the platformers Sega had been releasing at the time so the only thing I can think is that this was something they knocked together to see what the Saturn hardware could do.

I assume the sequel is just more of the same. Not that I'm remotely tempted to pay the price for that game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I decided to start doing some Sega emulating after having stuck to doing almost entirely Nintendo stuff for the most part, and since the emulator I'm using(the Kega Fusion) is compatible with pretty much every pre Saturn system Sega made, I figured I should ask for some recommendations for the more obscure systems it covers; the SG-1000/SC-3000 and the Sega Master System

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

Most flashcards leave unzipping or other decompression to their on board processor, which is much faster than the system you put it in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

So I decided to start doing some Sega emulating after having stuck to doing almost entirely Nintendo stuff for the most part, and since the emulator I'm using(the Kega Fusion) is compatible with pretty much every pre Saturn system Sega made, I figured I should ask for some recommendations for the more obscure systems it covers; the SG-1000/SC-3000 and the Sega Master System

Ah, you're not going to find much standout stuff. I will stand by Choplifter, based on Sega's arcade version, and Zillion.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Wonder Boy 3 is pretty rad

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Among SMS games, Golvellius is a pretty neat Zelda imitation that switches between an overhead view and side-scrolling. And I'm not just talking it up because it's by Compile!

Oh, and Phantasy Star. The game's grindy and dated, but compare it to anything else from 1988 and you'll see why it landed a cult following.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Master system recommations:
Alex Kidd in Shinobi world
- light hearted platformer with afun twist on the series
Mickey Mouse: Land of Illusion
- another simple platformer, but really polished
Jurassic Park
- the graphics are at times ugly, but there are some interesting concepts going on here. Two alternate endings as well.
Wonderboy - all of them except 4(?)
- lots of fun, reach with their own style. 4 should be played on the MD/Genesis to save frustration
Choplifter
- classic action
Rampage
- a solid home console port
Bonanza Bros
- maybe better on the MD/Genesis
Sonic 1&2
- different to the MD/Genesis versions, but still solid.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 18, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

For some non-obvious Megadrive recommendations:

- Twinkle tale
- Growl
- Ranger X
- Sub-Terrania
- Eliminate down

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Daddys hot grill posted:

Master system recommations:
Alex Kidd in Shinobi world
- light hearted platformer with afun twist on the series
Mickey Mouse: Land of Illusion
- another simple platformer, but really polished
Jurassic Park
- the graphics are at times ugly, but there are some interesting concepts going on here. Two alternate endings as well.
Wonderboy - all of them except 4(?)
- lots of fun, reach with their own style. 4 should be played on the MD/Genesis to save frustration
Choplifter
- classic action
Rampage
- a solid home console port
Bonanza Bros
- maybe better on the MD/Genesis
Sonic 1&2
- different to the MD/Genesis versions, but still solid.

Double Dragon's pretty decent on SMS (Granted, I never played the NES version though).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Fantasy Zone games, especially The Maze.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Double Dragon's pretty decent on SMS (Granted, I never played the NES version though).

Yeah, never played the NES version either. But 2p Double Dragon on the SMS was a blast back in the day. Actually, I think the SMS head some pretty good arcade ports in it's early years (space harrier, outrun,. Hang on), with some tasty platformers coming out later (Disney and co).

Ninja Haiden is pretty looking on the and as well. Not sure how it compares to the NES version though.

Edit:More SMS recs:
Lucky dime caper starring Donald Duck
- another solid Disney platformer. There's another Donald Duck game that might be just as good of not better.
Asterix (the first one is my favourite)
- decent platforming. I might just be a fan of the source material though.
Kenseiden
-samurai action
The ninja
- kind of like commando but you are a ninja

The real deal
Teddy boy
My hero

For shits and giggles
ALF
Tom and Jerry the movie
King's Quest

Final, this is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N0kmU4E7T4

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 18, 2017

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Please play Penguin Land

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

The Fantasy Zone games, especially The Maze.

Joke post?

Per above, Alf is perhaps the worst game on the SMS. Penguin land is indeed good, I can still hear the music in my head after all these years. It's on the SG too under a slightly different name.

There are some SMS recommendations in the op as well.

falz fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 18, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Daddys hot grill posted:

Asterix (the first one is my favourite)
- decent platforming. I might just be a fan of the source material though.

I'm not a fan of Asterix even as someone who reads European comics from time to time, and I think the game is pretty good.

Nobody's mentioned the actual Shinobi yet and I like that version of the game even though it is different from the arcade.

Also, the Master System version of Double Dragon is good because it's the best home port of the game that was contemporaneous with the arcade game. The NES version stunk and didn't even have two player. The 7800 version has those terrible controllers. The 2600 version is best described as a novelty. SMS Double Dragon has got everything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Happy to see Master System recommendations, as I also recently received a Mega everdrive x5 too. Check the European library. Speaking of Double Dragon, Renegade is nice port of the arcade. Master of Darkness is fun Castlevania clone.

Is it possible to use a master system light gun with the mega everdrive? Some people say that master System games on the mega everdrive will not work with the phaser.

BTW was Power Instinct released on America? All the Roms I have found are from the Japanese version. The Genesis library does not seem to have as many fighting games as the SNES.

• Locked thread