Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

This was great, he just ran in, kept the bad side of his face away from the team for like 3 seconds, and is immediately told where Iris is. I imagine he planned to zoom in and torture them all into giving up Iris or something, and was kinda disappointed he got it so easily.

That reminds me, why did they tell either Barry where Iris was? I thought they had already worked out that they had to keep it from Barry because Savitar would know everything he'd know. Was this just the writers needing to get Savitar to Iris and jamming in the first scene they thought of?

Yes, the writers are not capable of writing themselves out of a paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Show is extremely terrible, but drat if the scenes with Joe singing and Iris's vows didn't get me a little teary.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savitar plot line is still trash, but Snart picking the lint off Barry's costume while telling him the Flash needs to be pure was :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ruddiger posted:

Savitar plot line is still trash, but Snart picking the lint off Barry's costume while telling him the Flash needs to be pure was :allears:

I swear they letMiller write his own lines. Everything he said in that episode was a cut above everything else.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

This was great, he just ran in, kept the bad side of his face away from the team for like 3 seconds, and is immediately told where Iris is. I imagine he planned to zoom in and torture them all into giving up Iris or something, and was kinda disappointed he got it so easily.

That reminds me, why did they tell either Barry where Iris was? I thought they had already worked out that they had to keep it from Barry because Savitar would know everything he'd know. Was this just the writers needing to get Savitar to Iris and jamming in the first scene they thought of?

Hold up. Considering all the illogical poo poo that happens on this show, your major concern is why HR did a dumb thing? It's because he's dumb! The show has clearly been establishing ever since HR showed up that he is a largely useless, overly gregarious moron, and that scene was the payoff.

Anyway. I hope that next episode HR ends up saving the day and that his plan isn't objectively terrible like trying to switch places with Iris while the two (one?) fastest people (person?) alive fight each other.

Edit: Also, how would that solve anything? Savitar has Barry's memories. As soon as Barry finds out that Iris is still alive, no matter how far in the future, Savitar would immediately find out in the present and kill Iris to make sure he still gets to exist.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 17, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

teamcharlie posted:

Hold up. Considering all the illogical poo poo that happens on this show, your major concern is why HR did a dumb thing? It's because he's dumb! The show has clearly been establishing ever since HR showed up that he is a largely useless, overly gregarious moron, and that scene was the payoff.

Hah, my issue is not that HR did something dumb because he's dumb, my read of that scene was that no one seemed to think it was important to hide Iris from Barry himself. Like, if Savitar had put on some makeup and actually pretended to be Barry for ten minutes, everyone in the room would be happy to discuss Iris' whereabouts with him, not just HR -- the musical stinger only happens when you see the burned side of Savitar's face. Except that they've already acknowledged that Savitar knows everything Barry knows, so keeping it secret from him is just as important as keeping it from Savitar.

But as was pointed out, this is just another example of the writers not being able to go five minutes without forgetting the rules they've established.

e: thinking about it, I think that scene would have been better if Savitar hadn't showed up at all to "trick" them. Barry zooms in, HR says "Blah blah, Iris is safely in Earth 2 with Wells", and then everyone gets really grave when they realize oh gently caress, you just told Barry, and now Savitar is almost certainly on his way there.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 17, 2017

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ruddiger posted:

It was weird seeing Barry so ready to kill without giving it a second thought... but then I remembered that this King Shark is from Earth-2, so it immediately made sense.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Krad posted:

It was weird seeing Barry so ready to kill without giving it a second thought... but then I remembered that this King Shark is from Earth-2, so it immediately made sense.

Oh yeah, to be fair to the writers, this part loving killed me.

"It feels like we're in Jaws."
"How's that?"
"They barely show us the shark because they couldn't afford to make it look good."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phenotype posted:

e: thinking about it, I think that scene would have been better if Savitar hadn't showed up at all to "trick" them. Barry zooms in, HR says "Blah blah, Iris is safely in Earth 2 with Wells", and then everyone gets really grave when they realize oh gently caress, you just told Barry, and now Savitar is almost certainly on his way there.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the audience and their need to have things shown to them in the most basic way possible. Plus having Savitar get the information himself was a nice troll move on his part.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Why didn't they just put Iris in the Argus facility that gets rid of metahuman abilities?

I bet Savitar's deus ex machina armor suit would've beaten it, but it would've been cool to see anyway. Now that we know King Shark can regenerate that fight would've been some Mortal Kombat poo poo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Blackchamber posted:

Because the metahuman dampening is extremely selective, for instance it apparently didn't stop King Shark from growing his hand back...

It blocks metahumans, not metasharks. That's just you being specist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like as a thread that really goes in on Barry's constant bad decisions we didn't give enough love to Lyla basically saying "My job is to keep dangerous things out of the wrong hands and you're the wrong hands."

Like, that was Legends' "they're idiots" level.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like as a thread that really goes in on Barry's constant bad decisions we didn't give enough love to Lyla basically saying "My job is to keep dangerous things out of the wrong hands and you're the wrong hands."

Like, that was Legends' "they're idiots" level.

On Arrow they spent an entire episode making her out to be the new Amanda Waller and how absolute power corrupts, it's tearing her family apart, etc. and the moral ambiguity of dealing with the lesser of two evils for the greater good.

On Flash it takes less than two minutes to unequivocally establish her as the most definitive authority on responsible use of extraordinary abilities and resources the show has ever seen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to me that when dealing with Team Arrow Lyla's got to deal with a complicated web of morality and pragmatism from a bunch of people who know a lot about vigilante killing and moral lines.

While when dealing with Team Flash she just has to be the adult in the room and keep the reckless children away from the dangerous toys.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Phenotype posted:

They are idiots, duh. (See also telling Barry about speed force bazooka...)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I still love the actors but the writing is now beyond pants on head stupid for me. And I'll tolerate a lot of bad writing when it comes to shows I watch regularly.

gently caress, I admitted to liking Iron Fist. Iron Fist.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Also since they were hiding Iris on Earth-2, why didn't they at least have her go somewhere else on that planet instead of having her stay in the exact same room where the portal entry was. Have her go somewhere else in that building other than that room, AT LEAST

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I completely agree that strategically they were dumb not to have like Joe take her one place, Wally to another, and Wells to another so that Savitar would have to get through like 4 degrees of secrets to find her... its all kind of a silly thing since unless the plan was to hide her away forever and never see Barry again then all it was was delaying the moment of truth.

Its not like Savitar was a fairy godmother who lost his powers at 12:04.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

While I completely agree that strategically they were dumb not to have like Joe take her one place, Wally to another, and Wells to another so that Savitar would have to get through like 4 degrees of secrets to find her... its all kind of a silly thing since unless the plan was to hide her away forever and never see Barry again then all it was was delaying the moment of truth.

Its not like Savitar was a fairy godmother who lost his powers at 12:04.

But if Savitar didn't kill Iris, then Barry wouldn't create time remnants to try to take him down, so Savitar wouldn't exist. And that would be kind of a neat thing to do, Iris traveling through dimensions, trying to stay one step ahead of Savitar, Savitar racing to catch her to try to kill her before the timeline is changed so much that he stops existing. That would've been a fun episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But like wouldn't they have to keep Iris away from Barry away forever or else Savitar would remember and.... gently caress, I DON'T UNDERSTAND TIME TRAVEL!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Put her on a bus to Patty/Lindatown

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Cool that Savitar keeps an extra old flash costume around. Crawled right out of the speedforce with his suitcase packed, it appears.

Barry's suit is made out of speedforce now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Barry's suit is made out of speedforce now.

That must mean Savitar's armor is made out CALCIFIED SPEEDFORCE!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I got really annoyed that they mixed up how warm-blooded and cold-blooded works. Mind you, I haven't trusted this show on getting rudimentary science since "ultra-violet cold signatures" so...

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So the philosopher's stone is... a speed force kidney stone? Ouch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
"Barry you gotta stop using time travel to solve your problems"

*Barry immediately uses time travel to solve a problem*

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

As soon as Lyla mentioned the speedforce cancelling macguffin Barry should have asked if Iris could camp out in their building for awhile.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well at least they tried to give lip service to the rest of the Arrowverse with Felicity's "can't help lol" text.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One good thing about all this: I am legitimately looking forward to how they're going to resolve this clusterfuck. It's going to be grandiosely moronic and I will probably laugh myself stupid(er).

After that it may be time to rethink my TV priorities.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Chokes McGee posted:

One good thing about all this: I am legitimately looking forward to how they're going to resolve this clusterfuck. It's going to be grandiosely moronic and I will probably laugh myself stupid(er).

After that it may be time to rethink my TV priorities.

Savitar: BARRY! I WILL REVIVE YOUR DEAD FIANCEE IF YOU BEAT ME...IN A RACE!
*Savitar then creates an F-Zero-esque racetrack*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ApeHawk posted:

Savitar: BARRY! I WILL REVIVE YOUR DEAD FIANCEE IF YOU BEAT ME...IN A RACE!
*Savitar then creates an F-Zero-esque racetrack*

NOW BARRY... SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah even assuming this was the cool good present-timeline Barry, telling him where Iris is before the Speedgun is even done was amazingly stupid and may just net HR the Show's Biggest Fuckup Award (Still got nothing on Barry Flashpoint Savitar I Need You To Kill My Mom Allen though).

I'm not yet ready to call this episode terrible cause there's a pretty easy out in that if Barry manages to beat Savitar without going full evil like they've hinted all season, then Savitar will never exist to kill Iris and everything will paradox itself back to the status quo. Or Barry will speedforce himself to stop Savitar and season 4 gets to be the Kid Flash show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

Iron Fist was good.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Dude, you should get that looked at or something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Over time you will come to accept your condition for what is, you might even find peace in living with it. However the same can't be said for your loved ones. :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Iris isn't Iris it's someone else, why else bring up the facial transmogrifier?

anastazius
May 17, 2009
My bet is it's the kooky scientist lady as her and HG are too happy and adorable together. Drama!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's Jesse because otherwise she couldn't even bother to show up when Iris was about to die.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It's gonna be HR somehow cuz he looked at the savitar spike after making a big speech about what his purpose is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Using the face hologram is really just a delaying tactic, right? Unless they mean to immediately spirit Iris away from Barry into meta-witsec forever so Savitar never learns that she didn't actually die and render the deception meaningless, which would also have the effect of making Barry turn into mopey douchelord Barry in the crapsack future and let Savitar happen anyway...

• Locked thread