Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

Trek was 20 years old when TNG came out and people sure as hell had expectations concerning what Trek was and how they needed to take care to make a show congruent to the idea of Star Trek, not least the people who made the show.

Besides, they absolutely want you to have expectations for this, and not for something radically different than what came before. I mean besides the fact that it's a prequel set squarely in the TOS era, the copy speaks for itself:

"Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Now, one of the most iconic and influential global franchises returns to television with Star Trek: Discovery. The CBS All Access Original Series arrives this Fall."

Combine that with the heavy nu-movie aesthetics and obviously they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I don't like the CGI or graphic design much. Really don't like that space shot they had with the sun and asteroids, doesn't feel real at all. One thing Enterprise did a good job of was that space looked like space.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CommaToes posted:

This one works for Canada
Not sure about the other region lockings.

I think it looks like it's a show from this decade. The writing will be whether or not it feels like star trek.

I'll spoil this just in case someone wants to save themselves for Discovery for some reason. I guess we're modifying the klingons again to include cheek and jaw ridges? Also weren't they all smooth and swarthy during this time period?

Hey cool, thanks for the Canadian assist. I think it's funny how the camera views are all slanted now thanks to Abrams Trek.

And only a certain percentage of Klingons got smoothed out, as far as I understand it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Honestly, I'd be way more into a post-Voyager trek.

They could wholesale steal stories from Star Trek Online and I'd be ok with it since it deals with the ramifications from the movies and TV shows rather than just doing a prequel to ignore it.

Also the prequels seem to mess with the ordering of things anyway with having them meet new species we never see again and see others who they shouldn't have encountered yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man this thread is going to be on fire with effectively two Trek series on TV at the same time. The takes are going to be hotter than warp plasma!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

vermin posted:

The lighting kind of bugs me. The bright lights that sort of shift around. It's not a lens flare but it's drat close.

There is some actual (overdone) lens flare in there, but I get what you mean. Like the bridge has bright blue-white lights shining right into everyone's eyes from dark walls:

It looks like it would hurt your eyes if you were actually there. The bridges of the various Enterprises looked a lot more comfortable. Hell, the Orville looks more comfortable:

Brighter overall but I still feel like I'd still be squinting a lot less.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Those uniforms are so close, it's like one is an SNL sketch of the other but I don't know which is the original.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Everything looks completely JJverse. I wish they'd have just set this in another new timeline (assuming they can't use the JJverse because of the Paramount/CBS split) than try to explain this as being right before TOS.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Orville bridge (e: and costumes, and makeup, and tone...) is a parody that hews much closer to the subject's style than the thing from the show in the actual franchise. We're over the rainbow here.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 18, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knormal posted:

Everything looks completely JJverse. I wish they'd have just set this in another new timeline (assuming they can't use the JJverse because of the Paramount/CBS split) than try to explain this as being right before TOS.
It really does...the bridge especially. That's basically the same viewscreen from the JJPrise.

After watching the trailer it looks interesting, but the Klingon redesign is a bizarre choice considering it is in continuity with TOS.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I've been out of the loop of being a Star Trek fan for a while, so continuity issues don't really bother me as long as the aesthetics of the show look good. Loving the new uniforms, thought. I was never a fan of the brightly colored tunics.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 17 "Dramatis Personae"

"Masks, part 2." Next.

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 18 "Duet"

For once I can't categorize this as a rehash. Maybe "Conscience of the King" if I stretch, but this is too good an episode to reach like that. I dont know who the actor for the Cardassian is, but he was fantastic. I vaguely remember enough that these are all familiar, but I usually don't remember where it goes in the end, so this one kept me going. Easily the best one so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really don't know how to feel about the trailer, either of them. If this was say, a Mass Effect TV show, I'd be awesome, or some new IP. But as Trek that's in the main timeline, eeeeehhhhh. It doesn't feel like TNG or DS9, it feels JJtrek. I like JJTrek, all 3 of them (though I admit to being in the minority for into Darkness), but I really wanted to return to that original timeline. The uniforms don't look Star Trek, they look more like Systems Alliance uniforms. The bridge is very industrial looking, which again, doesn't match Enterprise which was going for more of the bridge of a Submarine look, or the TOS bridge which was the 60s idea of a future ship bridge would look like, with all the riot of colours that would entail.

I don't mind things being updated for modern tastes and screens, or makeup on aliens evolving, but again, they claimed they were doing classic trek and they delivered JJtrek.

I also wanted to post this earlier, but the Photo Torpedo effect of the ball with the beams of like shooting over every whichway, my favorite Sci-fi effect ever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Having actually finally watched the preview, I am at the least modestly excited. It looks like it could be good and it actually messes with the look of things enough to give me at least a little hope that they will do something interesting with the show. Hope its good.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
The new uniforms instantly reminded me of what Shepard and the other Alliance officers wear in the Mass Effect games.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, same here. I've been making fun of the show's production issues for over a year, but the trailer looks okay. I'll need to see more before I ultimately decide to hop on or off the hype train. I loves me some Star Trek, so i'm going to take a cautiously optimistic stance from here on out.

I'm still not crazy about the ship's design, or the dingy bridge, but it's the first new new Star Trek series in nearly 13 years. I'll give it a chance.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My hot takes:

-Didn't like the shameless aping of the JJverse aesthetic including the title card at the end. It comes across like CBS wants to stick it to Paramount or something.

-Didn't like the look of the Klingons, but I'll give it a chance to grow on me

-Thought the bridge set looked cool

-LOL at the same nerds that whine about how overlit the Enterprise-D bridge was and how good it looked the times we saw it all darkened up are now joining the chorus of "the bridge is too dark!" (It's p. dark, though.)

-Thought the space shots looked cool

-The whole "Before Spock and Kirk" angle gives me bad Enterprise deja-vu, since that was the exact treatment we got when they were teasing that show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLEoGGMz5Y

-I had nothing against the prequel idea originally, but I think I'm starting to change my tune because it's just starting to ring too commercial for me now. There was no reason anything we just saw there couldn't be set post-Voyager or as just a flat reboot.

All that said, what do I know until I watch the drat thing? They all mostly look kind of stupid and ugly at first.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 18, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

"My people are biologically programmed to sense the coming of death"

the gently caress?

And we were just saying Troi had a lame power...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm really hoping those are the rumored ancient sarcophagus Klingons and we'll get proper TOS/TNG Klingons as well. I also forgot we were getting Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It looks way better than I expected. I was honestly thinking it would be fan-film level of quality, but this looks like they spent a lot of money on it. That being said, I don't like it. Maybe the money is part of the problem, the best Star Trek to me always felt clever and resourceful instead of overly produced like an episode of CSI. It was always about the characters and stories, the special effects were the frosting.

While it looks slick, it feels hollow. It's clearly not a disaster on the surface, but I don't think the visuals will make up for all the stupid, eye-rolling poo poo they will cram into it. I think what others have said here is pretty accurate, this would be a fine show if it was called "Destination Nebula" instead of making it a Star Trek show.

Just my two cents, I'm sure there is a big audience for it I'm just not part of it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Goddamit, i really really hate the JJ Trek Klingons. I was going to say this trailer looked fine until their stupid faces showed up.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 18, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

So I've been watching TOS Season 3, which I never bothered to sit through when I originally watched all of TOS because they sounded pretty boring. So far I've been right! I just finished "In the Blink of an Eye", which could've been a pretty decent episode but just fell flat and got stuck on the weird Stockholm Syndrome romance subplot between Kirk and Space Babe #298. The weirdest part, tonally, is that at the end, after a conversation between Kirk and Space Babe about how the hyperspeed aliens are all doomed if they can't keep kidnapping ships and Kirk/the Feds will warn everyone about them, so without the ability to procreate (all the hyperspeed dudes are infertile) they'll naturally die off, Spock uses a magic space potion to put him and Kirk back into normal speed, and the hyperspeed people show up on the view screen, and Kirk's just like, TOO BAD SPACE BABE, and the Enterprise takes off. There's no real attempt to save or help them, it's just like, screw you, you jerks!

On the other hand, there's a scene where McCoy and Spock figure out the hyperspeed potion that makes the aliens go fast, and McCoy's like, WE HAVE NO IDEA IF IT WORKS, and Spock just drinks it. Way to be a good scientist, Mr. Spock.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-LOL at the same nerds that whine about how overlit the Enterprise-D bridge was and how good it looked the times we saw it all darkened up are now joining the chorus of "the bridge is too dark!" (It's p. dark, though.)

Oh yeah? Do you have in your hand a list of individuals who would appear to be either card-carrying members or certainly loyal to the Bridge Darkness Party, but who nevertheless are still helping to shape our set aesthetic policy?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm really hoping those are the rumored ancient sarcophagus Klingons and we'll get proper TOS/TNG Klingons as well.

I have a feeling that's what's happening, yeah. Pretty sure I even saw a shot of a literal sarcophagus somewhere in one of those trailers, plus the tomb-like atmosphere of those sets is probably intentional.

I rather like the feel of the production. A Star Trek series produced in 2017 was probably always going to look like this, for better or worse, though I agree with earlier posters that those uniforms are a tad more Mass Effect Systems Alliance than expected. Everything featuring Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Martin-Green together felt great. The writing is what will really count though, and trailers are rarely a good enough indication for that. I'm cautiously optimistic and that's more than I could say about Discovery a day ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Reset Smith posted:

The new uniforms instantly reminded me of what Shepard and the other Alliance officers wear in the Mass Effect games.

Exactly. Take off the star fleet insignia and they'd look like Systems Alliance uniforms. Also if those were the uniforms for official functions or what not they'd be fine, but as regular rear end duty uniforms they're very impractical. I liked how the TOS uniforms were just shirts, practical but still indicated rank and specialty at a glance. I always find it weird when sci-fi militaries have these weird, impractical uniforms, when real world military generally has pretty comfortable and functional uniforms.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The difference in impressions between this thread and Couch Chat is illuminating.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly. Take off the star fleet insignia and they'd look like Systems Alliance uniforms. Also if those were the uniforms for official functions or what not they'd be fine, but as regular rear end duty uniforms they're very impractical. I liked how the TOS uniforms were just shirts, practical but still indicated rank and specialty at a glance. I always find it weird when sci-fi militaries have these weird, impractical uniforms, when real world military generally has pretty comfortable and functional uniforms.

Impractical in rank identification terms, maybe, but I do like how they have actual zippered jackets and flies. No pajamas here, they're the second most practical uniforms after Enterprise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Impractical in rank identification terms, maybe, but I do like how they have actual zippered jackets and flies. No pajamas here, they're the second most practical uniforms after Enterprise.

They don't seem like they'd have a lot of freedom of movement though. I always assumed the TOS pants had zippers though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

They don't seem like they'd have a lot of freedom of movement though. I always assumed the TOS pants had zippers though.

Velcro. The zipper of the future.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McSpanky posted:

The difference in impressions between this thread and Couch Chat is illuminating.

To be fair, the Couch Chat downers are Rhyno, X-O, and a couple others who always have bad opinions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

Velcro. The zipper of the future.

So futuristic it is the only cause of death among American Astronauts in the Apollo Program. Though that was on the ground, but it was in a space ship!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It looks kind of meh to me, but I have free access to the CBS streaming service through my mom, so I'll give it a shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Only true star trek fans can hate star trek right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Too bad all those high production values are going to get hidden by CBS's lovely streaming service.

To add insult to injury, I'm betting it will be in 4k on Netflix in other countries.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The real question is is it going to be philosophical or mindless action adventure

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Looks weird. I'm down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AlmightyBob posted:

The real question is is it going to be philosophical or mindless action adventure

Or the worst of both worlds, amateur philosophy with boring action. That's the Voyager recipe for success.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm kinda amazed at the mentions of Orville looking like Trek, cuz I get way more of a Galaxy Quest vibe from those outfits. Like MacFarlane literally took a screenshot from that movie and told his costume designer "LIKE THIS! :downs:"
At a stretch it looks kinda like Crusade, which is... I'm not sure if that's the right target for your broad audience sci-fi parody.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Galaxy Quest was a parody of Trek though, which by your argument would make Orville still Trek inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Did they explain why they chose another pre-TOS setting? Do they not want to touch the new timeline?