Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Safety Factor posted:

Also, does anyone have that mspaint picture of a battlewagon deffrolling a monolith?

With or without vomit marines. This is important.

Your post gave me the idea for this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Now do a Dakkajet flying into the World Trade Center with the caption "A second waaagh has hit the tower."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hihohe posted:

Amazing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just saw this on Facebook. Might be of interest to somebody:

Some Yaboo on Facebook Hey Warhammer 40,000 i got a very deeply troubling question..... i run elysians but have seen them be pulled back from production pending Forge World review..Forge Worldout paratrooper armies like them or scions?
Also can we expect them to retain their flavor and place in 40k??
Many thanks

Warhammer 40,000 Hey Yabbo - indeed, the Elysians are undergoing a range review right now. The guys at Forge World will be writing rules for them in the new edition, as they are current models. What that looks like, or what rules they will have, well we don't know right now.

You might want to chat to Customer Service about the range review and what is staying in the range etc; fire them an email to forgeworld@gwplc.com.

It's very much of interest to me, since Elysians are one of my favorite armies :ohdear:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

That teary-eyed Necron in the bottom left. :allears:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Hihohe posted:

Is the bottom left necron supposed to look upset or impressed? Looks like this guy at the end

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Needs a little more of the "Oh gently caress I am so hosed" look.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So what benefit are Teleport Homers and Locator Beacons going to have now that deep strike-alikes have unerring accuracy?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

None, they won't have rules any more.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Duh, for forging your narrative

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just saw this on Facebook. Might be of interest to somebody:

Some Yaboo on Facebook Hey Warhammer 40,000 i got a very deeply troubling question..... i run elysians but have seen them be pulled back from production pending Forge World review..Forge Worldout paratrooper armies like them or scions?
Also can we expect them to retain their flavor and place in 40k??
Many thanks

Warhammer 40,000 Hey Yabbo - indeed, the Elysians are undergoing a range review right now. The guys at Forge World will be writing rules for them in the new edition, as they are current models. What that looks like, or what rules they will have, well we don't know right now.

You might want to chat to Customer Service about the range review and what is staying in the range etc; fire them an email to forgeworld@gwplc.com.

:rip:

Space Marines
Elysians

May 17 2017

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Strobe posted:

So what benefit are Teleport Homers and Locator Beacons going to have now that deep strike-alikes have unerring accuracy?

In AOS some units can deploy closer than >9".

Examples:
Vanguard-Hunters use an astral compass to deploy within 6" of any table edge but >7" from an enemy.
The Hammerstrike Force battalion lets you deploy units within 6" of one of your own units, and there is no restriction on how close you can deploy to an enemy unit.
Some units (such as Chameleon Skinks) can deploy directly into melee - no charge roll required.
Chameleon Skinks can also leave play and redeploy anywhere else on the next turn.

There are also some counter-deployment units like the Gryph Hound that lets out a warning cry when an enemy sets up within 10", allowing all your units within 2d6" of the hound to shoot at that unit immediately.

I assume these kinds of mechanics - and more - will be applied to certain units and items in 40k. I could see homing beacons do something like "immediately move D3" after deploying from reserves".

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pawl posted:

There are also some counter-deployment units like the Gryph Hound that lets out a warning cry when an enemy sets up within 10", allowing all your units within 2d6" of the hound to shoot at that unit immediately.

TBF that's essentially what Servo Skulls in the =I= list used to do so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept a rule like it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pawl posted:

Some units (such as Chameleon Skinks) can deploy directly into melee - no charge roll required.

This is loving rad and has "lictors" written all over it

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

You know what the means.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pawl posted:

What

Nobody plays the game the way is explicitly designed to be played?

If the rule says "more than 9" " then you can't deploy at 9". It is specifically worded this way to mean you need to roll a minimum of 9 to charge after deploying. Rolling 8+ is a 42% chance while 9+ is a 28% chance, which is a pretty huge difference in success rates - an 8" charge is about 50% more likely to succeed.

This is how it works in AOS and everyone plays it this way. The rules are worded very clearly and it is unambiguous.

Lol

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TheChirurgeon posted:

My mind went to the same places and I got really excited for a second.
...but only for a second.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

In 30 years space marines will run around with radios instead of bolters and ferrus goes on a long walk after fulgrum hugs him after confronting him about his feelings during Istvaan

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lmao if you care about retconning in this or any other format.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Mango Polo posted:

You know what the means.

:v:

So hey, protip for you guys. If you haven't painted in 2 years, don't start up again by painting Thousand Sons. I regret everything.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Sykic posted:

So hey, protip for you guys. If you haven't painted in 2 years, don't start up again by painting Thousand Sons. I regret everything.

Care to elaborate?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I assume the insane level of detail on every troop.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Just a combination of no longer having a steady hand and lots of detail, mainly the runes on the guns, gently caress those things. I really shouldn't be spending 8 hours on one terminator but here I am, doing exactly that. Otherwise they're great models but not the best to relearn the hobby on.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Sykic posted:

:v:

Same except a year.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Thousand Sons are the CSM Legion that I would be most interested in getting eventually, so hearing these horror stories keeps me from getting them. Probably for the best, since I'm just now getting up past 1500 points of Blood Angels.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sykic posted:

Just a combination of no longer having a steady hand and lots of detail, mainly the runes on the guns, gently caress those things. I really shouldn't be spending 8 hours on one terminator but here I am, doing exactly that. Otherwise they're great models but not the best to relearn the hobby on.

This is why I'm currently working on a Dark Angels Scout team for SWA that is partly composed of salvage models. Need to get the old hand-eye coordination going again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Subterranean Assault: During deployment, you can set up a Trygon underground instead of placing it on the battlefield. At the same time, you can set up a <HIVE FLEET> Troops unit in the Trygon's tunnel. At the end of any of your Movement phases, set up the Trygon anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" away from any enemy models. If there is another unit in the Trygon's tunnel, set it up at the same time wholly within 3" of the Trygon and more than 9" away from any enemy models. Any models that you cannot place this way are destroyed.

FUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

I loving love Trygons and I hated hated hated how bad the reserves rules were in 7th making them totally wasted.

This is actually GOOD.

Turn 1 movement phase BOOM there's my trygon, bitch! TYRANIDS ARE BACK BAYBEEEEEEEEEE

Seriously Trygons are like my favorite Tyranid model.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 17, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The only CSM I would want is EC because I think noise marines are the raddest loving thing in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strobe posted:

Thousand Sons are the CSM Legion that I would be most interested in getting eventually, so hearing these horror stories keeps me from getting them. Probably for the best, since I'm just now getting up past 1500 points of Blood Angels.

gently caress that Thousand Sons RULE and their new models RULE and I don't know what you could possibly complain about.

I wouldn't want to model ANY other CSMs right now.

Those new Death Guard models look sexy as gently caress though, gonna need to pick up at least one kit of those guys :retrogames:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chutche2 posted:

The only CSM I would want is EC because I think noise marines are the raddest loving thing in the game.

Yeah Noise Marines are just so loving rad. I'm not playing EC or any Slaanesh CSM really but I've got a kit of the finecast noise marines becuase NOISE MARINES, and I just got a fun kit from spellcrow that has some noise marine guitars for old school guitar marine action :)

http://www.spellcrow.com/guitars-with-hands-p-276.html

I'd love to put them together as a SW:A kill team but you can't get loving noise marine weapons in that game :negative: no way am I collecting a whole army of them, I guess I could try to run my whole CSM force as undivided instead of Tzeentch but eh...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So how are alliances going to work in 8th? I'm guessing any Imperial and any Chaos faction army can ally with itself, but.. Xenos?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

They look So Good though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

So how are alliances going to work in 8th? I'm guessing any Imperial and any Chaos faction army can ally with itself, but.. Xenos?

I don't think it'll change much from how it is now. The 3 "Core" books exist solely to break the units up into categories, and Xenos sounded better than "other".

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

goose willis posted:

Open Play: Anything goes. Tyranids and marines fighting together? Sure, whatever.

Matched Play: You need to be Battleforged, which requires picking a faction allegiance based on the keywords in your scrolls.

So you can have a CHAOS or IMPERIUM allegiance force, or be more specific with ADEPTUS ASTARTES or even more specific with something like THOUSAND SONS. Xenos can't ally with each other unless they share keywords.

This means Imperium and Chaos will have the biggest toolkits available, but since there's a lot of synergy buffs in the game it may not be the best idea to bring a mixed force because your bonuses won't effect your whole army. Codexes will also likely feature faction-specific bonuses that reward sticking to your faction.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

We have no idea.

AoS has no Allies. Battleforged rules say

quote:

The most common restriction is that all units in a single Detachment must share a faction keyword

Wording leaves wiggle room for a small number of detachments without Faction keyword, but that's just speculation

We literally know nothing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Only a little while longer til 8th. Just have to hold out for another week and a half at most.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mango sentinel posted:

They look So Good though.

They really do. The temptation to just grab 40 of them and play Veteran of the Psychic Wars on endless loop as they death march across the table spitting AP-2 bolter shots and getting 2+ armor saves against small arms is very, very strong.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, let me get this straight... GW bought someone's conversion and has made a new line of Space Marines out of it? That's crazy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Milky Moor posted:

So, let me get this straight... GW bought someone's conversion and has made a new line of Space Marines out of it? That's crazy.

You're not funny, hth.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

No? A photo of it got leaked and people (myself included) wrote it off as an impressive conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Disclaimer: So I'm gonna do the thing that SRM and Sex Cannon told me explicitly not to do on the badcast, and that is wildly speculate based on the limited information I have available to me now :v:

Wouldn't frag grenades be more effective than a bolter against a T5 target now with the new wounding rolls? They both wound on 5+ but you would get d6 shots instead of 1-2? Did these oft-forgotten weapons suddenly become useful?

• Locked thread