Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are other people getting "lofi chill" anime thumbnail recommendations or is that just because I've been listening to Nier and Persona

I've been getting those and my recent browsing history is like "How The gently caress Do I Do X In MLB The Show 17" and an hbomberguy video.

Baseball is probably the most anime of sports though. Lots of build up, little action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: I never mentioned anything about developers and what the hell do you mean by predatory workshop contributors!? What I was referring to was for creating in-game cosmetics and merchandise for DOTA 2.

Workshop contributors are developers, however minor. In any case, I'm talking about their completely laissez-faire attitude towards ensuring product quality for customers. Because Valve does not curate or audit contributions to the workshop, not everything in there is has historically been on the up-and-up. Think like app/play store conjobs and price-gouging. From what I've read, luckily it is extremely difficult to run malicious code via workshop contributions though so this just comes down to users not buying stupid poo poo.

But yeah, the 75/25 cut is bullshit.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm working on Midir in DS3 right now and the run back is killing my persistence. I swear these Kaathe statues are mocking me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know what this is is all about but that thumbnail is from Wolf Children, a really loving great Mamoru Hosoda movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Nah apparently it happens to everyone for some reason.

This channel and lofi hiphop god drat rule just to let you know

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, the channel is nice background when I don't have something specific to listen to. It's crazy how popular it's gotten though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

Workshop contributors are developers, however minor. In any case, I'm talking about their completely laissez-faire attitude towards ensuring product quality for customers. Because Valve does not curate or audit contributions to the workshop, not everything in there is has historically been on the up-and-up. Think like app/play store conjobs and price-gouging. From what I've read, luckily it is extremely difficult to run malicious code via workshop contributions though so this just comes down to users not buying stupid poo poo.

But yeah, the 75/25 cut is bullshit.

You mean 95/5 cut

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know what this is is all about but that thumbnail is from Wolf Children, a really loving great Mamoru Hosoda movie.

:yeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
got too many games as it is but i watched cjacobs blindstream of THE SURGE and it looks... really fun?

how are you all doing

edit: also i found a new favorite band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2qHxUDt6o

i'm in the video

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time now. Up until now I thought Deadly Premonition was the only game adaptation of Twin Peaks.

Also there's Energizer batteries everywhere. Please tell me that Energizer wasn't the licensing deal that killed the game. You don't need to license battery brands of all things god drat it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I swear i bought alan wake on steam last year because i never played it on xbox and so i was stoked but it's not in my library? did i hallucinate an entire steam transaction? :psyduck:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time now. Up until now I thought Deadly Premonition was the only game adaptation of Twin Peaks.

Also there's Energizer batteries everywhere. Please tell me that Energizer wasn't the licensing deal that killed the game. You don't need to license battery brands of all things god drat it.

the 'courage reactor'

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mak0rz posted:

It's a music rights issue, Why they don't just take out the licensed track instead of memory hole-ing the entire game? :iiam:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Guy Mann posted:

It's a music rights issue, Why they don't just take out the licensed track instead of memory hole-ing the entire game? :iiam:

Then you end up with the current situation Symphony of the Night is in. You can buy SOTN sure, but you can't buy a digital copy that has the OG ending theme anymore. That poo poo is gone.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

At one point it plays the song Coconut and on of the characters sings along. Not exactly something easily expunged.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Then you end up with the current situation Symphony of the Night is in. You can buy SOTN sure, but you can't buy a digital copy that has the OG ending theme anymore. That poo poo is gone.

They took out I am the wind because people hated it.

Pretty sure it's still in the PS1 Classics version on PSN.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lmao are you saying this is a bad thing in this particular case?

Edit: i didn't even know I Am the Wind was a licensed song. I just assume it was killed because people correctly thought it was dumb and out of place

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 18, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

because this way they get a bunch of free advertising and sold a bunch of copies to folks thinking it was their last chance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Its on the version on PSN.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

They took out I am the wind because people hated it.

Pretty sure it's still in the PS1 Classics version on PSN.

People are fools then

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This channel and lofi hiphop god drat rule just to let you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4zqkRHDT4

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

SOTN's I am the Wind was hella corny but it fit the game and ending just fine. It's pretty dumb they changed it in a patch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have no beef with Valve but it would be nice if they made games instead of inserting slot machines into their current titles.

Also Dota.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

the 'courage reactor'

Pikmin is so loving good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mak0rz posted:

It's got licensed music and in particular there's a few scenes where they directly discuss the music that's playing so it'd be hard to just cut those songs from the game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

Pikmin is so loving good

man it really is, i hope that 2D pikmin game ends up being dece

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

man it really is, i hope that 2D pikmin game ends up being dece

it won't :(

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GUI posted:

SOTN's I am the Wind was hella corny but it fit the game and ending just fine. It's pretty dumb they changed it in a patch.

There's been no patch to any version, the thing that bothers me more is that the ending screen on the cliff is garbled in the PSP version.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Valve are practically a monopoly in the PC sense (since all competitors attempts have loving sucked) so unfortunately their practices aren't likely to change.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I mean, Origin. loving Origin

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Origin is fine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're not a monopoly just because other people suck at it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I did say practically

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Origin is pretty ok these days. I haven't had an issue with it in years and it even has responsive customer service.

Even uplay is pretty unobtrusive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i do not enjoy uplay at all and i wish all clients had compact modes :/

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Wait if every Ubisoft game going forward has to have a service then what is BG&E2 going to do? You couldn't microtransaction that game of all games!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Origin is so much better than Steam as a client it's almost embarrassing. I wish Steam ran as well or was so less cluttered or even so nice to look at as Origin is. It's just a shame Valve doesn't have to make Steam function that well because people are gonna use it (in a lot of cases have to) no matter what.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Quest For Glory II posted:

they're not a monopoly just because other people suck at it

Effectively. People are willing to defend their shittiest practices just because they'd rather not deal with the interface of their competitors. Might as well be a monopoly at that point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For another relevant example, see Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Uplay makes me feel bad

• Locked thread