Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm glad to see you're actually keeping track of the points you get in the Social Stats, because forgetting to do that was a downfall of my run. (Surely I'll rank Knowledge up soon, right? Right? :ohdear:)

Also Baton Pass is the most useful and good thing.

EDIT: Update on the last page! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ah, right; Baton Pass on Ryuji would be a good reason to not IMMEDIATELY jump into the palace.

Also, I was about halfway through the game before I ever thought to give nutrients to the plant. So much opportunity for free Kindness, wasted.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tae Takemi is named after Taro Takemi, one of the most famous doctors in Japan's modern history. Quoting from this article:

quote:

He was the president of the Japan Medical Association (JMA) for 25 years, from 1957 to 1982. Takemi was well-known as “Kenka Taro,” a belligerent Taro. The media in his time liked to take up the issues which he fought against the Japanese government, particularly the Ministry of Health and Welfare. It liked to depict him as a boss of doctors, according to media’s coverage, who were all mad for money. Although Takemi admitted that one-third of doctors were “headmen of greedy selfish village,” he himself claimed to have a vision about Japanese medicine, which was based on his own philosophy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I coulda sworn the "you feel as though your bond will deepen" message has been in since at least vanilla P4 because I remember seeing it and I've only played maybe an hour of P4G. It might've been in P3FES, even!

Also I got bored one day and looked up how long it would take to get from Yongen-Jaya to Shibuya. Yongen isn't actually a real place, but it's based on a neighborhood named Sangen-Jaya. Assuming Yongen is in the same place Sangen is, Maaku's first train ride of the day is only about 4 minutes long; Sangen-Jaya is only one stop away from Shibuya station, according to Google Maps, so either the books you can read are incredibly short, or you're one hell of a speed reader!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Takemi is pretty great.

Now is also about when the game forgets that everyone hates you.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I quite like Dr. Takemi, punk goth and very possibly a quack who probably wouldn't actually poison you, but... She's a character, and a great early source of Guts raising; I'm glad that they've pretty well run with social links that raise your stats, all of them can be raised a little by at least one- but only on a rank up, so its not inexhaustible. Still there are quite a bit more opportunities to raise your stats than previous games, which does make it a little more forgiving. Although, some of you might be wondering by this point if the story is going to do that cut away to Sae demanding to know about x person every time Maaku forms a social link, well... it will. And it gets somewhat trying, in part because it weakens an already tenuous framing device (you told us you didn't have a lot of time, lady, and yet you spend a lot of it trying to find out about possible accomplices which may or may not be real?), and also because it seems like an exercise in futility as Maaku obviously isn't saying poo poo.

That hi-five, though, is endearingly bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Edogawa would be proud.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ChaosArgate posted:

I coulda sworn the "you feel as though your bond will deepen" message has been in since at least vanilla P4 because I remember seeing it and I've only played maybe an hour of P4G. It might've been in P3FES, even!

I believe in vanilla that message would appear after you spent time with someone without ranking up. Starting in P4G it tells you before committing to hanging out with the person.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ah, Tae. Our fourth shadiest connection. One of my favorites, since she appreciates some of the witty lies and wiseass remarks you can make.

Also, it's pretty funny that just about any time there's a scene of physical exertion, at the end everyone is bent over or sitting on the ground, totally exhausted, except for Joker, who's perfectly fine. The only times he gets tired are when he's training by himself. Ryuji may have given Joker the easier exercise to do here, but it's obvious Joker only went along with it to assuage Ryuji's pride and avoid any real effort.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

resurgam40 posted:

Although, some of you might be wondering by this point if the story is going to do that cut away to Sae demanding to know about x person every time Maaku forms a social link, well... it will. And it gets somewhat trying, in part because it weakens an already tenuous framing device (you told us you didn't have a lot of time, lady, and yet you spend a lot of it trying to find out about possible accomplices which may or may not be real?), and also because it seems like an exercise in futility as Maaku obviously isn't saying poo poo.

Yeah, that's one big part of why the framing device is bad. It makes some sense with the doctor, but it gets...stretched, shall we say, in the future. There's a whole lot more to say about it later, but really, Sae interrupting you meeting a friend to very weakly interrogate you, every single time, is just a terrible idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, so Kamoshida also got the track team gotten rid of so he could move in? Christ, I had that happen when I was in high school. I was in our high school string quartet, and we were pretty good! We had a crazy teacher who used to get us paid gigs to get us performance experience for competitions, and we did pretty well. Then she got into a car accident and destroyed her hands, so she had to retire. We'd been doing much better than the school band, so the rear end in a top hat band teacher threw his weight around and blocked us getting funding for a new teacher, leading our quartet to eventually break up.

Man, that guy was a dick. He wasn't doing it so as to insert himself into the school ecosystem and put himself in position to sexually and physically abuse students like Kamoshida, of course. But still, I can definitely say high school teacher politicking can get nasty and petty.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

School teacher politics exist everywhere, in almost every culture, in various forms.

P5 touches a lot of points very realistically, which I like.

GeneX posted:

Takemi is pretty great.

Now is also about when the game forgets that everyone hates you.

The people in school still haven't forgotten, and the library never forgets.

And when you answer correctly in class, everyone is shocked that a punk like you has a brain.

Gossip is the universal hobby that never ends.

Also, the people here hop on the latest bandwagon they find, which now is Kamoshida treating you like trash.

The game doesn't actually ever let you forget you have a 'criminal record' which is why I'm sad the blow to Mr. I'll SUE!! doesn't give him brain damage. The world will be a better place without people like him and Pervoshida.

Speaking of free actions, sometimes the tv has quiz shows. If you answer correctly the first time, you gain knowledge.

The TV can always be checked, it's also in the bottom floor in Leblanc.

It's actually really interesting, fact wise.

For example, eating at a restaurant without having money is fraud. Giving a machine fake money isn't fraud, it's theft.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm sad you didnt make a "games over" joke when Takemi said gameover. Pompous Male Customer is my favorite NPC and he deserves a social link. If you do the training on a holiday, you get double gains, so 2 servings of 5 on your first try, but only 1 protein bonus.

Today I grinded out the first bad end, and learned that you ca n dream up Guts and presumably other stats. It made me chuckle.

Takemi is great, shes my favorite so far..

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Pretty sure double training on days off lets you take protein before each session.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
I anxiously await shadier and shadier medicines until the doc is just giving us enormous bags of meth in the name of science.

Also I assume Morganna saying "do you want to redecorate" is just the cat knocking stuff onto the floor and having you pick them up.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

I anxiously await shadier and shadier medicines until the doc is just giving us enormous bags of meth in the name of science.

Persona 6 follows exchange student Wataru Waito on a crazy international journey to build a drug empire

C. Everett Koop posted:

Also I assume Morganna saying "do you want to redecorate" is just the cat knocking stuff onto the floor and having you pick them up.

More proof that Morgana isn't a real cat: a real cat wouldn't pose it as a question :colbert:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
It's posed as a question in the same way my dad asking me "do I want to mow the lawn " was posed as a question.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Baton Pass is probably the single most important thing added in P5 Battle-wise. But we'll see it next update most likely. SADLY, new party members need a minimum rank 2 in their confidant to gain Baton Pass, so it also adds president to hanging out with them to Rank 2 minimum at least. But yea, Baton Pass is a good. Also I never even bothered to check the plant in the room after clearing the junk away until after the first palace...I think...but yea, it's a bunch of Kindness I missed (And probably would have maxed out on by my point in the story if I had started feeding it nutrients earlier)

Kemix fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 16, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Why does Sojiro have all that super-dense reading in his attic? I guess it's possible he got it from somebody, but I like to imagine (per my theory) that it's from his prior life as a Shady Individual. Uh, a highly erudite Shady Individual, apparently.

Also, 'be a more interesting person and maybe the ladies will be more interested in you' is unusually solid advice, as these games (or, y'know, teenagers) go. I'm genuinely kind of surprised to see it from a random NPC; their dating-life chat is usually hilariously dumb if I'm remembering P3 and P4 correctly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you eat enough raw wasabi and spoiled milk, a drunk teeny bopper will rest her head in your lap.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The other thing about Kamoshida is that, like Mishima said, the Principal knows and I'm sure some other people knew too about the things he was doing, yet they're doing nothing about him. This tells you enough about the Principal that he is pretty bad.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Its quite obvious he's bad he's been a Spider-Man villain for years

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MythosDragon posted:

I'm sad you didnt make a "games over" joke when Takemi said gameover.

I considered something along the lines of

but I thought it kind of hackneyed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Carados posted:

Its quite obvious he's bad he's been a Spider-Man villain for years

Which Arcana is the Peter Parker confidant?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which Arcana is the Peter Parker confidant?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well that's uncanny.

It really is funny how many of the characters in this look like they're from another series.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I think it was Persona 3, but I seem to remember in one of the older games where if you finished the dungeon early, it would time-skip you to the next one, missing out on a lot of free time. Does that happen here, or do you just get to waltz around waiting for the clock to run down?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The latter. It's usually good to finish as soon as possible to max out hanging-out time with best bro Ryuji and best sis Ann.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RedMagus posted:

I think it was Persona 3, but I seem to remember in one of the older games where if you finished the dungeon early, it would time-skip you to the next one, missing out on a lot of free time. Does that happen here, or do you just get to waltz around waiting for the clock to run down?
You might be thinking of the last dungeon in Persona 4, which skipped ahead to Christmas after clearing it.

None of the dungeons here do that, thankfully.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Haifisch posted:

None of the dungeons here do that, thankfully.

Thank god it didn't. P4G rectified that I believe, giving an extra month of time to max out S-links and all that.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Concerning training, it's probably not worth it unless you have literally nothing to do, which is unlikely to happen in a first playthrough. What happens is you get three or four sessions of 5 HP, then the protagonist gets used to that exercise and only gets 1 HP that day. Then you do a new exercise for 6 HP, only to get 1 HP again once you're used to THAT exercise, and so on.

And if you're thinking, "Great! I'm in NG+ and don't have social stats to grind. Let's just crank that sucker all the way to 999 HP!" then I have unfortunate news. Eventually you stop improving and training becomes basically useless. In the long and short run, it's just an absolute waste of time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:psyduck: Why is it even a feature, then? Unless it was planned to be more important & they just didn't bother taking it out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Haifisch posted:

:psyduck: Why is it even a feature, then? Unless it was planned to be more important & they just didn't bother taking it out.

Perhaps maybe earlier in the game's development Joker had separate stats from his Personas, and could have a base of every stat that his Persona added on?

Then they realized that was dumb and made it what it is now?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Blastinus posted:

Concerning training, it's probably not worth it unless you have literally nothing to do, which is unlikely to happen in a first playthrough. What happens is you get three or four sessions of 5 HP, then the protagonist gets used to that exercise and only gets 1 HP that day. Then you do a new exercise for 6 HP, only to get 1 HP again once you're used to THAT exercise, and so on.

And if you're thinking, "Great! I'm in NG+ and don't have social stats to grind. Let's just crank that sucker all the way to 999 HP!" then I have unfortunate news. Eventually you stop improving and training becomes basically useless. In the long and short run, it's just an absolute waste of time.

eh.....your mileage may vary here.

If you're good at time management, and don't give a squat about certain trophies, it's very possible to start maxing out your social links (I mean confidants) with about a month's worth of days for you to do whatever you want. As such, working out is as good as any other choice really.

Assuming you use protein on every occasion that you work out, you should probably get around 80 bonus hp and a fair amount of bonus sp before you finish training. That can mean the difference between life and death on hard/merciless.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay, so I honestly didn't know death arcana meant all that, but it's interesting.

Although Takemi has some rumors about her that makes 'death' seems to suit her, in the literal sense, since she's you know, the shady clinic doctor.

The actual meaning of the arcana suits her.

In the last game it was an old lady.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's a little list of VA's for the party members we've met thus far:

Maaku: Xander Mobius (Famous roles: Crazy/Master Hand from SSB4, Dagda from SMT4A)
Ryuji: Max Mittleman (Famous roles: Inaho Kaizuka from Aldnoah.Zero, McBurn from The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2)
Morgana: Cassandra Lee (Famous roles: Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Aoi Asahina from Danganronpa)
Ann: Erika Harlacher (Famous roles: Elizabeth Liones from Seven Deadly Sins, Mimori Togo from Yuki Yuna is a Hero)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

Morgana: Cassandra Lee (Famous roles: Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Aoi Asahina from Danganronpa)
:stare: Well that's a hell of a way to avoid being typecast.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Fun fact about the arcana illustrations: they're "perversions" of the actual tarot cards they're based on. So the Chariot has a broken arm and looks like a chump instead of a conqueror, and Death has a grim reaper going to town and beheading a bunch of people instead of the actual tarot motif, where the reaper just passes through on horse as people look in awe.

They're small touches that reinforce the motif of rebellion/insubordination quite well. Not even century-old symbols are spared of mockery.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
They're actually based on the real-world Tarot of Marseilles right down to the Death card going unnamed.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I won that 100k lottery and finished the 2nd arc.