Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Vodos posted:

A co-worker (luckily a remote) referred to Levin as a "constitutional scholar". I think I remember him doing something for some republican president but that's certainly not an accurate description, right?

My IRL friend who is a fan does this all the time too. Apparently he has a JD in constitutional law or something? I don't care enough to look it up.

Aha, but also, I managed to get today's headlines in forum post form by raiding the repository for the raw images! And just our luck, Breitbart got rid of that popup and is now readable again!

Conservative Review (small and pathetic but it's Levin's personal rag)

Breitbart

Nattyreview

Fox

Daily Caller

Drudge

And the Pièce De Résistance:

Red State

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Drudge headline is hilariously open to interpretation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zwabu posted:

So has RWM begun finding their talking points on the latest yet?

"Comey should have resigned immediately!" Something like that?

Mostly just pretending that 2009-2016 didn't exist and that we should all adore glorious leader.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:allears:

Are they contractually bound to only get their news from the channel they work for? :ironicat:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hah, their twitter is suspended. I wonder when they're going to get their licenses taken away. I assume Australia has actual hate speech laws, except they don't apply when talking about Natives, obv.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Trump has hosed up really badly. How can you tell? Because Scott Adams isn't defending him. Instead, he's attacking the media. Kind of wish he'd actually addressed the elephant in the room but the fact that even he can't spin it good enough to show how it's actually good for Trump is still kind of amusing.

quote:

I saw this quote on CNN.com today: “The episode is the latest woe for Trump, whose administration is engulfed in a series of scandals linked to Russia.”

A “series of scandals linked to Russia”? Would it be equally accurate to characterize it as a series of stories manufactured by the media, none of which have been confirmed to be a big deal?

Today’s headline news is that an alleged Comey memo indicates President Trump tried to obstruct justice in the Flynn investigation by saying to Comey in a private meeting, “I hope you can let this go.”

Key word = hope

How did the New York Times characterize Trump’s expression of hope?

[image of NYT website with headline "Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him To End Flynn Investigation"]

Do you see Trump asking Comey to end the Flynn investigation in the quote “I hope you can let this go”?

All I see in that sentence is “duh.” Obviously Trump HOPED his friend and advisor Flynn would be okay. Did it need to be said? Was there some confusion on this point with Comey? Did Comey enter the meeting thinking maybe President Trump wanted to see his friend and advisor Flynn get eaten by the system?

I’m no lawyer, but I can’t see any judge or jury in the United States prosecuting someone for expressing a hope that the future turns out well for his friend.

Watch the headlines and pundits today transmogrify “hope” into “asked to end the Flynn investigation.”

That isn’t news.

That is an assassination.

I also think we are seeing with the recent leaks the first phase of Mutually Assured Destruction of our government. The leaks will destroy Trump if they continue. But if that happens, no Democrat and no anti-Trump Republican will ever be able to govern in the future. Payback is guaranteed. The next President to sit in the White House will be leaked to the point of ineffectiveness. And that’s how the Republic dies.

That isn’t necessarily bad news. The Republic form of government doesn’t make sense in the modern world anyway. We already evolved into a form of direct democracy via social media and polling. Our politicians can’t risk going against a big majority – even for noble reasons – because social media will organize to drive that person out of office over the issue. In effect, we are already a direct democracy. The Republic is already history, except in a technical sense.

If you can sit passively while watching the Opposition Media turn “hope” into “asked Comey to end the investigation,” you are part of the slow assassination of President Trump. And you are also part of the slow assassination of the next president, and the next. If Trump goes down from leaks, Mutually Assured Destruction kicks in automatically.

On the plus side, the public has the power and the moral authority to strip the Opposition Media of its power and take control of the government via the weight of public opinion. But that probably won’t happen because of our old friend confirmation bias. Confirmation bias makes the innocent word “hope” look like “Asked him to end the investigation.” Trump’s critics will see it that way. And if they do, your next president might be Elizabeth Warren.

She should last about two years.

Gee, I don't know why everyone thinks the mafia are such bad guys. All they do is go into people's businesses and say "It sure would be a shame if something happened to this place." They're just expressing sincere concern for that business's well-being! I can't see how any judge or jury would prosecute someone for expressing a desire to see the business stay safe. Why would anyone interpret it as a threat of some sort? Must be confirmation bias!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's hilarious that RWM is jumping to believe Putin giving proof that Trump didn't share top secret Intel with Russia over our allies.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

:laffo: the whole site is him bragging about how he doesn't need "girly" safety equipment, claiming that he forbids his workers from wearing it, and raging at the dude who threw him off a construction site for not wearing it, mostly by claiming that he banged the guy's mom.

Sad and bitter, despite ostensible success, distorted view of masculinity, childish insults, narcissistic claims embellishing successes, weird asides tying everything in to a vague "SJW" conspiracy, unable to let anything go...Yep, that is a /pol/ user right there.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Xibanya posted:

My IRL friend who is a fan does this all the time too. Apparently he has a JD in constitutional law or something? I don't care enough to look it up.

Funny how Obama also has a degree in constitutional law yet for some reason NWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORDNWORD

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

...neoliberal?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's a little close to Poe's law, but the Onion has been lampooning RWM with Patriothole today, which is probably of interest to those frequenting this thread.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Has there been more coverage about Sean Rich that DNC guy that was killed and people are claiming he was the guy who gave the stuff to Wikileaks instead of Russian hackers? Because that seems to have shown up amongst some of my more conspiratorial peers whose distrust of corporate media has turned them into believing anything that claims it's the truth -because- the mainstream media discredited it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neeksy posted:

Has there been more coverage about Sean Rich that DNC guy that was killed and people are claiming he was the guy who gave the stuff to Wikileaks instead of Russian hackers? Because that seems to have shown up amongst some of my more conspiratorial peers whose distrust of corporate media has turned them into believing anything that claims it's the truth -because- the mainstream media discredited it.

no, it's a completely nonsense story that died off last year but somehow magically appeared again across the right wing media sphere earlier this week when trump's scandals started turning from smoke into fire

the best part is how people who are being so blatantly manipulated by fake media will accuse any and everyone of the same. there are tons of people who are just so basic and gullible that you can basically trick them into believing anything you want to tell them if you say it like *bawk bawk* chicken, why are you thinking what the MSM wants you to think? sorry about your brainless peers.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
@passantino: Family of #SethRich demands Fox News retract discredited story, threatens legal action https://t.co/6BmmgtLmFE

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/865009707882135552

I was happy to see this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Trump has hosed up really badly. How can you tell? Because Scott Adams isn't defending him. Instead, he's attacking the media. Kind of wish he'd actually addressed the elephant in the room but the fact that even he can't spin it good enough to show how it's actually good for Trump is still kind of amusing.

Gee, I don't know why everyone thinks the mafia are such bad guys. All they do is go into people's businesses and say "It sure would be a shame if something happened to this place." They're just expressing sincere concern for that business's well-being! I can't see how any judge or jury would prosecute someone for expressing a desire to see the business stay safe. Why would anyone interpret it as a threat of some sort? Must be confirmation bias!

I'm confused, doesn't the Opposition Media deserve mad respect for their superior ability at out-Master-Persuading the Master Persuader himself in the 3-D world of persuasion by persuading pretty much everybody that telling the FBI director you hope he'll drop an investigation then firing him when he doesn't is potentially a real bad thing?

Lester Holt even Master Persuaded the Master into saying he fired Comey because he wouldn't stop investigating Flynn! Genius!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

boner confessor posted:

no, it's a completely nonsense story that died off last year but somehow magically appeared again across the right wing media sphere earlier this week when trump's scandals started turning from smoke into fire

the best part is how people who are being so blatantly manipulated by fake media will accuse any and everyone of the same. there are tons of people who are just so basic and gullible that you can basically trick them into believing anything you want to tell them if you say it like *bawk bawk* chicken, why are you thinking what the MSM wants you to think? sorry about your brainless peers.

The best defense to pulling a shifty trick is to accuse your opponents of doing it. They have to waste energy denying it, and if they turn around and catch you doing it you can make a lot of effective outrage about how they proved it was impossible.

It's actually kinda grifter 101 what RWM has done.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zwabu posted:

So has RWM begun finding their talking points on the latest yet?

"Comey should have resigned immediately!" Something like that?

It's pretty much "the media is all out to get Trump".

Hannity had a guy on yesterday basically agreeing with this and I was like "the guy's an rear end in a top hat". It was Dennis Kucinich.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/DRUDGE/status/865183390776958976

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

jesus, this week...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's sad but I was thinking this morning how Scott Adams was going to explain how yesterday was a master play by Trump.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kekekela posted:

jesus, this week...

:woop::woop::woop::woop:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

<kisses fingers>

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yet again time accomplishes what the guillotine could not

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
To quote an amazing obituary of Andrew Breitbart,

"bury him deep in the earth, not merely to put greater distance between him and humanity but so that Hell does not have to reach so high to claim him."

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Hell yeah, this feels like something we should start a new thread over or change the thread title for or something.

Might I suggest:

Good for what Ailes ya!

Xibanya posted:

See Master Shake above, also this thinger: https://xibanya.github.io/frontpages for a menu of poo poo talking points.

I am assigned seating with my manager next to me and my micromanager behind me so I'm phone posting and can't make the big images myself without getting in trouble :saddowns: I'm a dev. I deserve better treatment. (We all deserve better treatment.) This is the future conservatives want. :shepicide:

Can you make your tool spit out the comparisons so they're vertical instead of horizontal? It's incredibly hard to read them on a phone.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I switched over to FoxNews, curious how they might be handling it. Their NEWS ALERT is just about Trump tweets, no mention at all of Ailes and I watched for like 20 minutes, bizarre....
e: of course as soon as i post this they switch to Ailes coverage

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Motherfucker I did not expect the incitements to violence to start appearing so quickly and from media outfits targeted at multiple different Clusters*:

In this videos note how transparently thin the outer narratives they are using to cover up their incitements to violence are. This poo poo is going to get innocent people hurt :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzXIVVLMwEQ&t=1615s

This video starts out with a textbook demonstration of a call for a massive compaction cycle, then veers off into some paranoid ramblings, then dives strait into threatening mass violence using such a thin outer narrative that I suspect this almost borders on being illegal incitement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnwLX8JA-jA&t=224s
(Shoutout to Mantis42 for turning me on to this video)

*Infowars is targeted primarily at the Paranoid Cluster. Fox News is targeted primarily at the Economic and Racist Clusters (with more than an occasional coquettish wink to the Religious Cluster).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

<kisses fingers>

:discourse:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kekekela posted:

jesus, this week...

:bisonyes:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ErIog posted:

Can you make your tool spit out the comparisons so they're vertical instead of horizontal? It's incredibly hard to read them on a phone.

What device and browser are you using? It's vertical on my iphone 6 plus (here using Chrome):

I'm doing that with

code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Could you be attempting to browse in some sort of desktop mode? If your browser is telling the site it isn't a mobile device, then it might scale the images as if you were on a desktop, which would result in tiny rows of three images each.

Master Shake posted:

On Wednesday’s Mark Levin show, Ex-FBI director Robert Mueller has been appointed special counsel to investigate the Trump team over Russia allegations and with this the Democrats got what they wanted. Now we will have a prosecutor focused solely on one matter, which is an aberration; that’s not how prosecutors are supposed to function. But yet there will be no such treatment of the Obama administration’s and Hillary Clinton’s numerous scandals. The report leading up to this is an absolute disgrace. There has been no obstruction of justice or impeachable offenses committed. President Donald Trump has done nothing unethical. We will now see relief from political Republicans on Capitol Hill who now believe that this problem is somehow behind them now that Democrats have claimed their political victory. They don’t even endorse what the people support and are happy that there is an investigation. After that, Andy McCarthy, Contributing Editor at NRO, calls in to talk to discuss the goal of the special council; it’s to discern the intention and actions of a foreign power, not to build a case against any one person.

He's literally lying about at least four things here. But Levin's gotta be feeling cornered at this point. He's one of the last holdouts of "nothing to see here!!!" Even Nattyreview, one of whose columnists he had on his show yesterday, is coming around. I hope that Levin's credibility and career is destroyed along with the Trump admin (although by 3.5e rules does that mean I can't pick a new favored enemy? Oh well.)

E: troubleshooting

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Also here's the state of the media at the moment:

https://twitter.com/xibanya_uspol/status/865326575830564868

I got around prying eyes by making this happen via bash script, then I'm pasting the link via my phone. A victory for the working class! :ussr:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Creep State hahaha

Commence circular firing squad

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: This is A. T. in Dallas. It’s great to have you. I’m glad you waited, sir.
CALLER: Thank you, Rush. Hello.
RUSH: Oh, I’m sorry. It’s a woman. I didn’t know. It says A. T.
CALLER: Oh! (laughing) Yes. (laughing) We have initials to. You know that Comey asserts the authority of the Department of Justice, and there were many other irregularities in how he covered the Clinton server scandal —
RUSH: Mmm-hmm?
CALLER: — enough to get him fired, doesn’t this justify reopening the Clinton investigation and perhaps appointing a special counselor with a broad assignment?

RUSH: See, when this happened yesterday… As I say, I have been somewhat distracted the past two or three days, so I didn’t know this happened until, like, two hours afterward, until I got home. So I saw this, and my initial reaction was… I was muttering obscenities. I was mad about it. I said, “Who the hell caved on our side? What the hell?” I’m going through all these emotions. “They lost the freaking election! Why are we giving them what they want?” I was going through all that. I said, “Okay, what’s this cover?” And I looked at it, and it’s only Trump and Russia! There’s nothing about the Clintons! There’s nothing about their illegal server. There’s nothing about any of their violations.
CALLER: No.
RUSH: “What in the name of Sam Hill are we doing? Why don’t we just commit suicide? Why don’t we just point the gun at ourselves and be done with this?” That was my initial reaction to this. Now, to the extent that it depends on what the investigation turns up. But, no, this counsel is not gonna be looking into any of that. That would be another one. And who do you think —
CALLER: Wouldn’t they be justified in opening another one? I mean, they made the case for her mishandling everything.
RUSH: They’d be more justified in opening that than this one, absolutely right.
CALLER: And whatever they discovered about Trump and Russia would pale by comparison to what we know they’d be finding out about Hillary and all the Clinton bandage.
RUSH: Just the trafficking and classified data alone on that server —
CALLER: Mmm-hmm.

RUSH: — which we’ve already been told she did. The only reason she wasn’t prosecuted was Comey said she didn’t mean to, which is not even part of the statute.
CALLER: He usurped authority. I mean, he didn’t have the authority to even make that call.
RUSH: Why don’t we get a special counsel on that Loretta Lynch letting Slick Willie on the airplane? I mean, the stuff that’s happened here, that the Democrats engage in, and there’s never any call for any investigation much less special or otherwise. I’ll tell you what would happen here, A. T. Let’s say that somehow, some way, a special counsel was appointed to look into Hillary’s illegal email server and trafficking in classified documents. Can you imagine the media’s reaction to that? “This is just sour grapes.
“This is to cover up the obvious crimes Trump has committed!” The media would just… It isn’t gonna happen. It isn’t gonna… It’s ex post facto now. Well, it isn’t, but politically it is. All of this stuff has to have political pretexts. And since there’s nobody in Congress demanding a special counsel for the Clintons, nobody demanding any of that, it’s not gonna happen. So I’m glad you called, A. T. I really appreciate your patience in waiting. This is Joe in Evansville, Indiana. You’re next, and it’s great to have you here, sir.
CALLER: Hi, buddy. How you doing?
RUSH: Just fine.
CALLER: I’ve been listening since 1993. What I called about was Republicans can never learn. Can never learn. They keep thinking, “If we agree with them, they will like us! The media will like us.” I got a news flash for you: They’ll never like you and they don’t respect you. If they were to stand up on the Capitol steps and say, “Trump is our president and we’re gonna make this country great again. You can either join us — and this is an engraved invitation to the Democrats. You can join us in making our country great again or you can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way.” But this distraction with Trump and all these unfounded rumors just like if the Democrats were doing this. That’s what they would say. They would lie, obfuscate, and never give a moment’s credence to these claims. If they had a Democrat in the White House, never give a moment’s notice to ’em. They would just let it slide off the back. The Republicans are trying so hard to get everybody to like ’em, and it’s not ever gonna happen.
RUSH: Well, let me ask you. How much of this in this instance do you think that is a factor?
CALLER: How much what?
RUSH: The Republicans not standing in the way of the special counsel, the Republicans starting to whisper the word “impeachment” —
CALLER: Yup.
RUSH: — the Republicans slowly, softly accepting it. McCain is the Republican ringleader here, and he’s not afraid of the media.
CALLER: And Lindsey Graham. Lindsey Graham’s another one. You know, you can’t stick a microphone in front Lindsey Graham —
RUSH: Right, but they’re not doing it… My point is, they’re not doing it in this instance. I agree with you that, on balance, they’re quivering and cowering in corner against the media, but not in this. They’re not afraid of the media. That’s not why they’re not supporting Trump here. This is establishment versus outsider, Man.

CALLER: I understand that.
RUSH: This is McCain (impression), “You… You want to call me a coward for getting caught, Trump? Right? Right? Well, let’s… Let’s see who’s standing here in a couple years!” That’s what’s going on here.
CALLER: Well, every time I see a Republican on TV saying, “Yes, we need to get to the bottom of this Russia thing,” I’m thinking, “The bottom of what? ” There’s nothing there.
RUSH: Exactly.

CALLER: Why are you saying that?
RUSH: Exactly right.
CALLER: I mean, just couldn’t they just possibly say, “You’ve had a year.” You just got through saying a few minutes ago yourself. “You’ve had a year, and you have no evidence.”
RUSH: Right. Right.
CALLER: “So we’re gonna move on to the people’s business.”
RUSH: They may be currying for the media there, but I think largely it’s they’re trying to stay on good side of donors and media secondarily. In this particular instance, in this Trump instance, this is clearly insider-versus-outsider, establishment-versus-interloper, however you want to describe it. All of this should have been… I know it’s easy to sit here with 20/20 hindsight and Monday morning quarterback and all that. But this was so predictable that all of this was going to happen, so predictable — and the point of that is, if it was predictable, it could have been defensible.
(sigh) I will tell you something, folks, it was February, and I found myself at Mar-a-Lago. I’d been invited over to Mar-a-Lago, and I was talking to some people over there. And I said, “Are you guys surprised by all this outrage?” “Yes, we are.” I said, “You are?” “Yes, we are.” “What were you expecting?” “Well, we were expecting a lot more unity a month after the inauguration.” I said, “Are you kidding me?” “No. We thought after they got it out of their system that there’d be a little bit more…” I was dumbfounded. He was el flabbergasted-o. I probably let the cat out of the bag.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/05/18/the-establishment-gets-their-special-counsel

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Vodos posted:

A co-worker (luckily a remote) referred to Levin as a "constitutional scholar". I think I remember him doing something for some republican president but that's certainly not an accurate description, right?

Levin believes in the constitution so strongly that he thinks we need a convention of states to fix it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Davethulhu posted:

Levin believes in the constitution so strongly that he thinks we need a convention of states to fix it.

My favorite weird tick of his recently is that somebody will call up and be like, "Mark! First time long time! Tell me about your plan for a constitutional convention?" and he'll respond like, "Oh, so you haven't read my book then."

"You should know that 'constitutional convention' is being used to try to convince people to be against the convention of the states due to their not being as erudite and genius as the founding fathers! I have to say to you sir that is just not true!"

He's always berated callers for nothing based on his own misunderstandings, but this is something else. This feels like he's gotten so frustrated with a specific thing somebody did to him outside the context of any media appearances that he feels like he has to bring it up constantly.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Moktaro posted:

Hey, you gotta conform or be cast out.

This is from 2 pages, but I won't allow this Rush (band) reference to go unacknowledged.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
When Dems have a year and have no evidence that Trump did a thing, they should give up.

When Republicans have a year and have no evidence that Obama/Hillary did a thing, it just proves we need to dig deeper.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

drat, just bold that whole Rush exchange.

Right Wing Media: I was muttering obscenities

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kekekela posted:

Creep State hahaha

Commence circular firing squad

Well i mean, if they haven't done anything wrong, what do they care they were spied on? What are they hiding??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One of my coworkers told me that Chuck Schumer wants Huma Abedin prosecuted over Clinton emails. Where the hell did he come up with that?