Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

kzin602 posted:

Is this at your work? Did you try uninstalling all the Russian ddos repeaters off the management's personal laptops?

(speaking from horrible personal experience)

Nope, at home. I work from home selling Japanese rock music online. Thinking of just sucking it up and buying the crazy good Asus modem/router and telling Comcast where they can stick their equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Valicious posted:

I live in Albuquerque, NM, and it looks like I went from 59ms to 53-57ms avg ping. Yeehaw....
I have advanced setup turned on, and the nodes set to US West (Los Angeles - Vivid) → US West (Fremont, CA - KLAYER). Does that mean it's going from me to LA to Fremont to game?
What does RTT std. mean?
Why am I getting practically zero ping decrease? I'm on comcast business btw and connecting via wifi.

"RTT std" is your standard deviation of your round-trip time (ping). It just means you're going to have that much variance in your ping.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Wow how much were you getting to the old server? I wouldn't have expected my route from Charleston would be that much better, I'm at 80 via Chicago

I never checked previously. Don't think I really could now beyond just finding some random business in Montreal to ping or something.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Valicious posted:

hahAHAHa...Sorry, you just called my connection *great*
Comcast is a piece of poo poo, and their business service is even worse. We've had no end of issues, and our connection goes out multiple times every day. We are IP banned from PSN and craigslist of all places. We fixed this by replacing the modem/router, then the connection went out three days later, and we were blocked again. Support literally said "I think there's a setting somewhere to change your IP, try and find it" then hung up.

you're probably ip banned from online services because your machine is infected with malware using your internet to amplify denial-of-service attacks or spam people

and i don't think mudfish is gonna save you when your internet connection is literally not working at all

e: to be slightly helpful, see if your ip address is currently on the spamhaus block-on-sight list

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mudfish, and all its competitors, work by providing an alternative routing between you and the FFXIV servers.

This means that Mudfish will help if your connection to the servers are passing through a saturated hop (the old beaver-chewed Level 3 line in Montreal), or through a large number of hops (since a private network with known egress points can sometimes route traffic more efficiently than the greater internet). Mudfish will not help you if your connection to your own ISP is spotty, or if your connection to the FFXIV servers is relatively optimal.

e: by "optimal" i mean "faster than any alternative paths"; if you're in antarctica your "optimal" routing might still be like 500ms or whatever and mudfish won't save you

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

you're probably ip banned from online services because your machine is infected with malware using your internet to amplify denial-of-service attacks or spam people

and i don't think mudfish is gonna save you when your internet connection is literally not working at all

e: to be slightly helpful, see if your ip address is currently on the spamhaus block-on-sight list

We've run antivirus scans and malware removals on every computer on the network, all clean.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do you have any IoT devices? Webcams, smart appliances, internet-connected thermostats, home automation, that loving refrigerator that tweets you when you're low on milk? Is your wifi secure enough that your neighbor's kids can't get into it and mess around? IPs generally don't end up on the block lists for no reason whatsoever.

If you're on a Comcast business line, you should be able to clone a different MAC address on top of your router or modem (you may need your own modem to do this), which should assign you a different IP address when you reconnect to DHCP. If that new IP starts getting IP blocked from places, it's definitely malware.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

Do you have any IoT devices? Webcams, smart appliances, internet-connected thermostats, home automation, that loving refrigerator that tweets you when you're low on milk? Is your wifi secure enough that your neighbor's kids can't get into it and mess around? IPs generally don't end up on the block lists for no reason whatsoever.

If you're on a Comcast business line, you should be able to clone a different MAC address on top of your router or modem (you may need your own modem to do this), which should assign you a different IP address when you reconnect to DHCP. If that new IP starts getting IP blocked from places, it's definitely malware.

It switched to a random IP when we had problems a few months ago when comcast gave us a new modem. It was fine for a while. Then comcast got an outtage, reset the modem, and we started being blocked again.

We can't clone a MAC address unless we get our own modem/router, and holy god a good one is expensive

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
That's rough. You may or may not get good results by just unplugging your modem for a day or so and hope for Comcast to invalidate your DHCP lease. My ISP will also just do that for me if I ask, and I would expect Comcast's business support to do that, but lol comcast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A good cable modem is like $100. That's less than you're paying for a Comcast business plan for a month.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's kinda crazy how much better Arcanist plays at higher levels. Went i to floor 50+ POTD and was really surprised how much more easily it is to flow between your abilities when you're able to Energy Syphon more than once every 60 seconds.

Although i am a bit disappointed that it seems like you don't get more in terms of more spells than you do jist get rank 2 in everything.

Does Bio 1 and 2 count as different spells and thus more dots on the enemy? Because it seems like it stays on for a lesser amount of time than Bio 1?

Just counting the days until i can be a Scholar though, healing with an added pet benefit sounds like fun.

Griz
May 21, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

A good cable modem is like $100. That's less than you're paying for a Comcast business plan for a month.

if Comcast business has the same modem rental fee as residential, even a brand new expensive modem will pay for itself in under a year.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's kinda crazy how much better Arcanist plays at higher levels. Went i to floor 50+ POTD and was really surprised how much more easily it is to flow between your abilities when you're able to Energy Syphon more than once every 60 seconds.

Although i am a bit disappointed that it seems like you don't get more in terms of more spells than you do jist get rank 2 in everything.

Does Bio 1 and 2 count as different spells and thus more dots on the enemy? Because it seems like it stays on for a lesser amount of time than Bio 1?

Just counting the days until i can be a Scholar though, healing with an added pet benefit sounds like fun.

Bio 1/2 are distinct spells that will leave distinct debuffs. Use both at the same time. Bio 1 does more damage per tick in a shorter amount of time, Bio 2 does more damage overall on a longer time scale. A lot of your new skills will be job/class quest related so keep an eye on your trainer.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3037221

We're paying $233/month

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And the cable modem is $77.99

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

And the cable modem is $77.99

Yup, just gotta just save up

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So where is Excalibur located now? I don't know if I should be angry or not since I live in New Mexico

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Kuai posted:

So where is Excalibur located now? I don't know if I should be angry or not since I live in New Mexico

Hello fellow New Mexico goon!
Sacremento, CA is the new location

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Through Reiterpallasch's reasoning, best guess is California. Sacramento, to be specific.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Wow how much were you getting to the old server? I wouldn't have expected my route from Charleston would be that much better, I'm at 80 via Chicago

From Parkersburg I pulled like 45-50 to the old servers and 100 now, but the route is much better, just one intermediate hop between my ISP and NTT, rather than all sorts of Level 3 fuckery.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Someone in my FC seems to think jobs are going to be dropped entirely and just be classes. Is he full of poo poo, or is there a basis to this?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Someone in my FC seems to think jobs are going to be dropped entirely and just be classes. Is he full of poo poo, or is there a basis to this?

AFAIK they want to do this but there are technical reasons why it's difficult (especially because of ACN/SMN/SCH) and they haven't said when or if they're actually going to do it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

vOv posted:

AFAIK they want to do this but there are technical reasons why it's difficult (especially because of ACN/SMN/SCH) and they haven't said when or if they're actually going to do it.

Source?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If they ever did go through with something like that it'd almost certainly be the other way around, with the classes getting the boot and the jobs taking over for 1-70.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

It hasn't been mentioned in a long time but it was talked about before HW came out. I'm too lazy to look for this but I think your friend is the one who should be sourcing things since, well, I have no idea where he pulled that poo poo from.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I changed from midlander girl for the first time (into a catgirl!). Catgirl poses and animations are much cooler.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure they were asked about classes/jobs in the last live letter and said it wouldn't happen until at least the expansion after stormblood, which suggests it's basically on the wish list but not a priority.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The source would be some Yoshida interview somewhere, because its probably not something they are actively working on right now but will probably happen in the future sometime. Classes are dumb and I guess we'll see next week but it sounds like the changes to the cross class system are gonna finally eliminate any mechanical reason for classes to exist.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IIRC the closest they are coming to removing classes is just removing the secondary class requirement for the ARR jobs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

IIRC the closest they are coming to removing classes is just removing the secondary class requirement for the ARR jobs.

IMO they should probably stop there. The system is needlessly convoluted, but they're already simplifying it, and having to rewrite a bunch of quests and remove the flavor associated with classes seems like more trouble than it's worth. Once the secondary class requirement is gone, I don't really see how there's really any problem for new players, and obviously any fix they make to low level content isn't going to be to the great benefit of older players. I personally thought it was pretty awesome when I got my ninja job crystal, in a way that showing up as a level 1 ninja wouldn't have been. Being able to start as a level 1 rogue would be good though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Basically the class/job distinction is entirely a holdover from 1.x. While there's no good reason to keep it around, there's also no pressing reason to get rid of it, other than summoners and scholars having to split their bonus stats, and that's going to be even less of a concern as gear stats continue to increase at a faster rate. It's much more likely that they'll just get rid of bonus stats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently it's something of an issue that they have to store certain things separately for classes and jobs. I dunno how big that actually is though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Shy posted:

I changed from midlander girl for the first time (into a catgirl!). Catgirl poses and animations are much cooler.

Cat poses are the thing I miss most about being a dragonlady, especially the ears.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Catgirl /joy pose is great

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does the base game still come with a month of sub time? For that matter, does Heavensward?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does the base game still come with a month of sub time? For that matter, does Heavensward?

Yes, no.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

base game includes a free month, heavensward doesn't. or if you mean if the base game includes heavensward, it does not, however stormblood will include heavensward when it's released

Shy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 18, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shy posted:

Midlady ones are surprisingly decent except for that run animation, but yeah, catgirl emotes are really good.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently it's something of an issue that they have to store certain things separately for classes and jobs. I dunno how big that actually is though

Pretty much this. You have n number of players with a combined x amount of total jobs and classes. Each class/job equipment is saved individually and because Tanaka, this information is updated to server almost instantaneously. Meaning there's a lot of data being managed back and forth for little payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Can you use the transfer service to transfer from an EU server to a Japanese server?

• Locked thread