Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qirex posted:

I mean they'll probably still sell "thinkpads" but don't expect more than their consumer models with a matte finish

it's going to be great when the next superfish-like deal happens and whoops, we put the spyware on our "business" machines too. our bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

tbh for firewalls it should be a realtime management thing instead of gpo similar to how youd do it w/ other endpoint management systems.

eh, policy propagates within 15 minutes and no reboot is required so GPO effectively becomes that management console. Change control/versioning functionality would be a big plus though. Grab the log file with splunk and go nuts with it. Not having the firewall logs in with the rest of the event viewer logs is a stupid oversight at this point.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

infernal machines posted:

spf is easy as pie to implement, but the number of providers that either don't support or outright break dkim is loving ridiculous.

and there's still no native dkim support in exchange

well you should never publically route exchange ever. edgeing role is lol in 2017 and you need something, anything in front of it to do DKIM.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
office 365 supports dkim

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

well yes the logical upgrade from exchange would be that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the issue is a lot of smtp gateway providers don't offer dkim

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo: a friend of mine got banned from skype

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's possible?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

that's possible?
apparently yes. microsoft in this case will append message with rather pompous "this has been our final communication on the subject of this account"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently yes. microsoft in this case will append message with rather pompous "this has been our final communication on the subject of this account"

lolol

i am still in communication with someone from bing because they noticed my phone number is phake as heck (it's a real phone damnit) so i can't get bing rewards and win a surface craptop with them

i need that surface m$ i need it because reasons

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Does Skype still allow you to harvest the IP of anyone you call and use that for DDoS or was that resolved? "Pro" gamers are hilarious

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Does Skype still allow you to harvest the IP of anyone you call and use that for DDoS or was that resolved? "Pro" gamers are hilarious
that was fixed a year ago

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was fixed a year ago

"a year ago"

a year ago

a year

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

syscall girl posted:

"a year ago"

a year ago

a year

we were all so innocent then.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why can't windows apps be opened from searching in the start menu

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

they can though?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

they can though?
only for apps that come pre-installed, like xbox. ones that you install later show up in the start menu but searches can't find them

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
sounds like your search is hosed up

on this note, i have creators update on my machine at work & it forgot the priority for poo poo so if i search for "calc" and hit enter it opens up a bing search for calc again

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ah yeah it looks like it's just files and applications from after a certain date. maybe it was after i installed the creators update? idk

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

only for apps that come pre-installed, like xbox. ones that you install later show up in the start menu but searches can't find them

Phoenixan posted:

sounds like your search is hosed up

on this note, i have creators update on my machine at work & it forgot the priority for poo poo so if i search for "calc" and hit enter it opens up a bing search for calc again

your holding it wrong
e. not on creators update so maybe they hosed it up there? idk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
make sure your index service is running and that your indexer settings aren't messed up somehow. you can tell windows to rebuild the index too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It Doesnt Just Work™

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

be keepasss 2

be me typing faster than windows can grok every time i engage with this operations system

be the ten different guys and two women having remorse about how the os doesn't catch your key strokes the way it used

then get ready to admit that the web search done for keepass led you to remember you had episodes of the 100 you needed to re-watch

all is right and good again

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
just show me softcore lovely teevee show please

holy crap you're actively attacking one of your dead gay os's best features?

welp

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
syscall girl you have been posting a little badly even for the pos, are you ok? :ohdear:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao i installed windows 10 and now i have adobe flash again for the first time in 3-4 years

and I cant get rid of it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Pinball Wizard posted:

syscall girl you have been posting a little badly even for the pos, are you ok? :ohdear:

lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lmao i installed windows 10 and now i have adobe flash again for the first time in 3-4 years

and I cant get rid of it
no worries it's attached to edge so if you never open edge you'll be fine

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

sorry i'll shut up

like to think it's just generic posting overmuchly but when the second person points out that i'm doing it it's worrisome

and no i don't feel well thanks for your concern

Aramoro posted:

Are you ok? You're not being very coherent and really over estimating just how good cannons were in the 17th Century.

butt in my defense i often jumble words around for affect

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

syscall girl posted:

sorry i'll shut up

like to think it's just generic posting overmuchly but when the second person points out that i'm doing it it's worrisome

and no i don't feel well thanks for your concern

butt in my defense i often jumble words around for affect

sorry not trying to be an rear end, some of your posts are almost incoherent and I had you down in my head as a Good Poster, I hope you feel better soon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

sorry not trying to be an rear end, some of your posts are almost incoherent and I had you down in my head as a Good Poster, I hope you feel better soon
same

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

aw poo poo that makes 3

thank you for your regard

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

yeah, i have this problem as well.

i can find software i installed a couple of months ago, but i can't find programs that i've installed lately

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

yeah, i have this problem as well.

i can find software i installed a couple of months ago, but i can't find programs that i've installed lately
rebuilding the index did nothing
running the troubleshooter said it fixed permissions settings, but it did nothing
rebuilding the index after the above did nothing
clicked all the checkboxes and now it's indexing everything and it's not finished yet but so far it's done nothing
there's some snack overflow posts about how reinstalling cortana and deleting registry keys might fix it and i'm looking forward to trying those

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

running the troubleshooter said it fixed permissions settings, but it did nothing
clicked all the checkboxes and now it's indexing everything and it's not finished yet but so far it's done nothing
there's some snack overflow posts about how reinstalling cortana and deleting registry keys might fix it and i'm looking forward to trying those

your operating system is a piece of poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

your operating system is a piece of poo poo
:yossame:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*in worksforme wontfix guy voice* ill need to install an app from wineows stor

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if you search bing for "spelikans" you get the definition of "pell mell". this apepars to be because of jules verne.

algorithms are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

i'm glad i mostly use windows 10 at work because i can just shove it onto someone else and they can deal with it

• Locked thread