Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not feeling this season as much...they are clearly more focused on the story but at least so far the story is not at all interesting. I preferred having more stand-alone episodes which could give them more options for comedy, instead of one arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Adam Reed apparently says Ray isn't a main character. I think he's self-conscious about his voice acting. Which is really good and Ray is the best dammit.
He's been voice acting for more than 15 years. I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to be self-conscious but it's definitely unlikely.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

get that OUT of my face posted:

He's been voice acting for more than 15 years. I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to be self-conscious but it's definitely unlikely.

I'm sure I saw him being self-effacing about it in an interview. Eh maybe not.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Finally sat down to watch this season. I think it's great. Just got to Barry's Terminator / Pee Wee's Big Adventure homage.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Gramercy, Halberd!
Archer and Len Trexler try to escape from a rampaging Barry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So many Frisky Dingo references this week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Poor fat Mike.

GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
Wild Prediction for the season finale: Archer will return to Dreamland for a... Freudian encounter with Mother. It may seem appalling, but it'll be quite delightful... like all taboos.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well of course that's who killed Woodhouse. The story wouldn't make sense any other way.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
sHoUlD yOu Be DoInG tHaT

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How long's it been since he slept? I think the speedball he's been doing for the last 3 episodes is going to kill him in the end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he's in a coma. He can pop all the pills he wants.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The 'what are you, hourly?' gag in the latest episode absolutely slayed me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I half wonder if this season will end with another coma and flow into WW2 based Archer.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man Barry really had an ax to grind with Archer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm like 80% sure the season finale is going to end with Archer waking up from the coma, accusing Mallory of killing Woodhouse, and then falling back/getting slapped by Mallory into a coma again.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Really liked the episode, but I envy people who will get to binge watch this season.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I binge watched the first six with my friends, and enjoyed watching the story pick up steam a great deal. Probably wouldn't have been wild about it week-to-week though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think we're going to incept this.

Archer loses it, falls into a coma inside his coma and dreams of the war.

Adam Reed did say that this season reinvigorated his creativity for the series and gave him material for the next two. So that's my bet.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not feeling this season as much...they are clearly more focused on the story but at least so far the story is not at all interesting. I preferred having more stand-alone episodes which could give them more options for comedy, instead of one arc.

While the stand-alone, comedy-focused episodes in the earlier seasons were better, I am at least relieved they are not trying so hard to be funny and failing like they did (in my opinion) in Archer Vice. I am happy to watch a show that's a good blend of action, drama, and comedy. While not being as funny may be more boring, watching a show try to be funny and fail is appalling. Especially from a show that was successfully funny for a long time.

I haven't really seen a lot of it but I bet a show like Venture Bros. is a fair comparison to going from episodic comedy to a light serial drama with especially good comic relief.

Overall though I never really saw anything wrong with the episodic spy comedy formula. To me the real reason the show was getting stale was all the jokes were the safe... a lot of callbacks and running gags but not really a lot of new ones thrown in. All they really need to do to refresh the show was make a rule like "only one callback per episode this season" or something and it would have been fine. But, there is also something to be said for what the creators are interested in and what they will be passionate about making. If they were really tired of the spy show formula then even though there may have been plenty of material left to mine, from their perspective it was no longer worth it, so the show's format had to change if it was to continue as anything other than a soulless shell of its former self.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anybody else thinking the next Adam Reed series will be Krieger spin off? I feel that could work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

swickles posted:

Anybody else thinking the next Adam Reed series will be Krieger spin off? I feel that could work.

I've always wished we had more krieger episodes going back to the start of the series, but I'm not sure if he can carry a whole show as well as Archer can.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Time for the season finale!
Auflösung
At Dreamland, Archer receives a big break in his search for Woodhouse's killer.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
That was a good sendoff for Woodhouse. :)

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
...So are they just gonna stay in 1940s Noir Dreamland next season?

I mean, I liked it overall, but what now? I guess they could dive into the WWII flashbacks?

Problematic Pigeon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 25, 2017

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So they killed off Lana and they're staying in dreamland. Fitting for a noir season I guess. Kind of a dumb ending to me, but I was never really in love with the Dreamland concept. Still a good send off for Mr. Coe. 2 or 3 seasons remain.

No.1 Special fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 25, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Problematic Pigeon posted:

...So are they just gonna stay in 1940s Noir Dreamland next season?

I don't see why they are locked into that. After all, they took like 2 minutes this season to segue into Dreamland, they could take 2 minutes next season to segue out...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love that song they exited on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i think this season will play better when the dvd comes out and you can watch it, basically, as a super-long alternate reality Archer movie. It's only 160 minutes, and the "episodes" don't feel so episodic, even compared to Archer Vice, which was supposed to be a similar single season story. But the tribute to Woodhouse was very lovely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only 8 episodes and nothing really happens? The setting was pretty cool, but it doesn't feel like they accomplished anything.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That's noir for you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Only 8 episodes and nothing really happens? The setting was pretty cool, but it doesn't feel like they accomplished anything.

I mean, he found out who killed Woodhouse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, he found out who killed Woodhouse.

In the lamest way possible. All those episodes and then Barry runs in and says "I did it" and then dies. We don't even have any closure for what is going on in the real world. They really goofed this whole season up, which sucks because they could have made this setting really good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

In the lamest way possible. All those episodes and then Barry runs in and says "I did it" and then dies. We don't even have any closure for what is going on in the real world. They really goofed this whole season up, which sucks because they could have made this setting really good.

We also don't really know who robbed burgled him. If it was a senseless murder as indicated by Barry, then why break into the safe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Saved all those sex slaves too.

I was thinking Archer might have another season in Dreamland (or WWI or whatever) and then wake up and go straight. He dreamed up a whole season where Mallory spent the whole time making him do awful things and then she killed Lana. Maybe he wakes up with the realization that Mallory's scheme have been putting himself and the mother of his child in mortal danger for too long and walks away from it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The graveyard scene was really good, very touching.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I really enjoyed this season. Fun noir tribute, funny, they even dropped the callback-overuse.

By the way, who burgled Archer's apartment?

Cojawfee posted:

We don't even have any closure for what is going on in the real world.

This was never about what is going on in the 'real world', and people trying to analyze it for metaphors were mostly misguided. "Archer is dreaming" is just a frame to let them tell a story with the characters remixed into a different setting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how Lana's gunshot wounds tracked to Archer's in the real world, but him telling Pam no one could ever survive them ever even in parallel dimensions seemed to be pointed back at the real world.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this whole season was a memorial for George Coe, really- an entire story about the unfairness and arbitrariness of death, told through noir, which has always been a genre that dabbles in that kind of existentialism. A lot of the time the mystery isn't really the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

I should have seen Krieger's cyborg dogs making a comeback coming. You don't introduce us to a concept like that and only use it in once scene.

• Locked thread