Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to the best animated show of the 2010s...

The Premise

The eighth season of Archer is all a dream, with everyone in the cast taking on different roles as a part of this extended metaphor. Specifically, the dream is in the 1940s and it feels like a pulpy noir film. How did we get to this point? Well…

Yeah, Archer took three to the back and he’s in a coma. How it all plays it out is anyone’s guess. Here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7vWxapK9o

When does it come back?

Archer: Dreamland hits television and FX’s streaming service on April 5. There’s been a channel change, as it goes from FX to FXX, so check your provider to make sure you can watch.

Notes

The first seven seasons of Archer are all available on Netflix, but if you’re here in the Season 8 thread then you’ve probably watched the whole show front and back.

Season 8 is the first of the final three seasons, where series creator Adam Reed seeks to explore a different vignette for each season. Since the production values of the show have gone up exponentially, the show is limited to 8 episodes per season. Hopefully this makes for tighter storylines that are still hilarious.

An interactive AR app, Archer P.I., developed in part by a goon who works on the show is available on the App Store and Google Play. There’s a 500 dollar prepaid card on the line, so there’s incentive to complete the game!

Character List

This is season 8 of the show, so you already know who the major players are, they’re just in different roles. I’ll be adding images as we get more footage of the team in Dreamland, so for now there’s just some character descriptions.

Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin)

A war hero turned private investigator, Archer seeks to discover who murdered his partner, Woodhouse. In the real world, he’s been in a coma for three months because he got lit up by a crazed Hollywood actress, proving he is not invincible as he once thought.

Lana Kane (Aisha Tyler)

The singer at the nightclub Dreamland. You have to wonder if there’s going to be some involvement with her and the larger plot, after all she’s just a singer. In the real world, her and Archer have an octoroon bastard named Abbiejean, but their parenting philosophy is post-label, they think.

Detective Sergeant Poovey (Amber Nash)

A crooked cop that works with Figgis. Appears to have a run in with Archer as he investigates the murder of his partner. In the real world, probably Archer’s best friend and a somewhat demi-god with her vast knowledge and proficiency. Apparently, it was all learned at a dairy farm.

Cyril Figgis (Chris Parnell)

Another crooked cop, probably has a vendetta against Archer. Or maybe since its a dream, Figgis bends to Archer’s whims like a baby. In the real world, Cyril Figgis is an account turned lawyer turned licensed private investigator. He starts the Figgis Agency in Season 7, and lords it everyone like it means something. Hates the Archers, because well who wouldn’t?

Ray Gilette (Adam Reed)

A trumpet player at Dreamland, maybe a narc for the police? In the real world, poor ol’ Ray has been through some poo poo. He’s still a pilot and a bomb expert, but he’s been paralyzed (twice!), turned into a cyborg, and then lost a hand to a plant. The hand is black. Poor ol’ Ray indeed.

Algernop Krieger (Lucky Yates)

The bartender at Dreamland. Also deals heroin on the side. This is probably the characterization closest to his real world counterpart. In the real world, Krieger is a man of questionable ethics and even more questionable science. In Season 7, he makes robot replicants of the main cast, because god knows why. Leads to some trickery where the gang thought Archer used a decoy to get shot, but the real Archer is actually the one in the pool.

Cheryl van der Tunt (Judy Greer)

A rich heiress, with an insane person lurking underneath. Another characterization close to the mark. In the real world, Cheryl/Carol Tunt is a billionaire with a glue and arson addiction. Scatterbrained, but occasionally cuts right to the heart of a matter without realizing it. Consistently one of the funnier characters, in my opinion.

Malory Archer (Jessica Walter)

Archer’s mother, but in Dreamland, a mafia boss. Not too much different from her real world counterpart, where she uses her decades of experience to leverage information out of people and is just downright scary when she wants to be. From time to time, she uses her experience to get herself out of a jam. In Season 7, she gets herself out of an underground bunker well before she runs out of oxygen and gets herself home. Deep down, loves her son, as she was devastated when he was shot dead.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Given this is Archer's mind, bets on Krieger being an actual nazi in this reality?

Edit: \/ 1940s if I remember right so yes.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Mokinokaro posted:

Given this is Archer's mind, bets on Krieger being an actual nazi in this reality?

Would there even be Nazis in... what year is this anyway?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Please note that this very bad cartoon now has music composed by the wonderful J.G. Thirlwell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh drat this happens tonight, don't it?

Time flies faster as you get older I think.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's happening and I'm drinking in proper Archer fashion.

E; and I love the style of the new opening, but not the retro theme song

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

huh, Woodhouse was born in the 1890s, giving the first solid sign of a date for the show

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That new opening was pretty awesome.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

there was no reason for Archer to be a dick to that dog :saddowns:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That conversation with Mallory was brilliant.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Lana 😍

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Does anywhere have these streaming relatively soon to when they air? I watched the latest always sunny season on the fx website but that same website is on season 2 of Archer

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

blech. I want frisky dingo insanity not a half-rate mystery drama...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

Does anywhere have these streaming relatively soon to when they air? I watched the latest always sunny season on the fx website but that same website is on season 2 of Archer

It shows up for me on fxnetworks.com. You typically have to wait until next day to be able to watch it on demand, I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Carlosologist posted:

huh, Woodhouse was born in the 1890s, giving the first solid sign of a date for the show

A while ago, they escaped from something in mid to late 60s F1 cars.

I'm not sure I like this. If he's in a coma, then what does this have to do with the rest of the show? If Archer wakes up so the end and nothing this season matters, that would be very lame.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only way I can see this working for me is if it leads to some sort of character development for Archer in the end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

The only way I can see this working for me is if it leads to some sort of character development for Archer in the end.

Either that or it turns out everyone is playing themselves like a videogame via some kind of experimental gadget of Krieger's that had a good chance of melting Archer's brain but hey, he was in a coma, what was he using his brain for anyway?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Qmass posted:

blech. I want frisky dingo insanity not a half-rate mystery drama...

Yeah, that didn't pass muster as either a "serious" drama or a comedy cartoon. Here's hoping that it'll pick up once they get the setup out of the way.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It was...ok. I mean, the setup was nice, and the way they handled Woodhouse/his VA dying was actually respectful, but it's just not quite popping yet.

I'll give it a few eps to see if they can find their footing.

Re: nothing matters--that's the point. Right now the series is suffocating under its own continuity. Dreamland allows for a season-long "Elseworlds" arc, then a soft reboot afterwards. Probably will see some Archer char dev; he's basically up his own mental rear end right now so not getting any would be hard to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to guess that the Archer laying in the bed was not the same one floating in the pool.

We'll find out in the last episode that Archer really was the truck driver and the reason he's on the coma is due to an ill maintained Italian sports car giving him carbon monoxide poisoning.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I like how Archer still destroyed Barry's legs.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I hope the whole "(rimshot) / "Stop it!!" routine is a recurring gag. Very Pythonesque. Hilarious.

In the opening, I like that the clock's hands turned into a multi-engine prop plane. I'll have to see if the new music grows on me, but the redone intro animation is great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I hope the whole "(rimshot) / "Stop it!!" routine is a recurring gag. Very Pythonesque. Hilarious.
From the season review it sounds like it will be

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last season's premiere started off slow too, but it ended up having some of the best episodes since Season 3. That is, until it bungled the landing because season-long arcs isn't Archer's strong point. Decent episode all the same.

Carlosologist posted:

I liked the touch of covering up the last two digits of his death year so as to keep it vague.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm not sure that "Woodhouse was born in the 1890s" nails down the date of the show any more than "Woodhouse fought in WWI" already did. We already knew woodhouse was old as balls.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I just wonder how they'd pull that off.

Do people in comas even remember their dreams that vividly?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it would really suck if Archer did not accurately depict the memories of a coma patient.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's different kinds and causes of comas, but most include some form of amnesia if the patient regains consciousness. Doesn't mean he can't remember what's happening, but I doubt he'd remember the details that clearly. I mean, people not in comas don't remember their dreams all that vividly.

In any case, just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Huh. I thought it was excellent. I guess I take my cartoons less seriously than most goons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought it was fine.

I'm a sucker for sexy double bass heavy covers of Fever that always seem to end up in TV shows though.

I don't think they've ever gotten away with twat before though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Man the show just looks incredible now. Loving it so far.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

smashpro1 posted:

I like how Archer still destroyed Barry's legs.

I definitely heard some Carl in his screaming as Archer drove away. Sort of a Dave Willis hallmark to have his characters be horribly injured.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If Conway doesn't show up at some point, then they missed a real opportunity to have him be the drummer.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I don't mind the "It's all just a dream" premise because they aren't using it as a lame ending twist, they're using it to tell a story they otherwise couldn't. I'm guessing someone got bitten by the noir bug after all the nods to genre classics they made in the last season.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The animation is still top notch, the scene of Malory and Archer where Malory reads off all of Archer's military accolades was really well done. Lots of character in a 30 second scene.

Also, my favorite gag remains the audible erection. its just too much

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I particularly like how this combines last season's private eye angle and the show's original premise. Mallory's office is like a 1940s version of her ISIS office.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The animation is just wonderful, but for a first episode of a new season, it fell flat for me. I didn't buy into the mystery particularly, and there was no memorable gag moments (Ha!) I'd find myself repeating. I'm willing to give it a lot of leeway because it's Archer, but I'm really hoping the 2nd Episode picks up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All this being a dream sequence makes the stakes kind of... non-existent. I guess he'll have to succeed with this mystery to wake up??

Also not sure how things will work out with the characters. Archer is still his own self but everyone else seems to be noir stereotypes that look and talk like them. I big part of the show was in how the characters interact and shaped by their environment. Would be interesting to see where they go with this.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funny thing is the noir-era technology doesn't even feel out of place for the regular show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do we know for sure the whole season is going to be the in dream sequence?

I enjoyed the episode. I hope Barry gets some new legs.

• Locked thread