Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

LOCKUP: 09/16/2030, 17:32

Mashiro shamefully spoke to the others.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

By the time she said that with an embarrassed smile, Mashiro was back to the same girl she usually was.

It's okay, Ms. Toba... That's the perfect time to cry your eyes out.
Yeah. It was a beautiful sight to see.
...Somewhat jealous.

Mashiro and Yuuri blushed to hear the girls' words.

Watase and Ukita said nothing. Mashiro appeared to be afraid of them, but she seemed to be holding it back. With everyone's feelings in mind, Natsuhiko spoke up.

...Guys, the eight of us have managed to come together thanks to all our hard work, but... -As you all know-, it's still doubtful if we can all get out of here together or not, given our current situation.

Everyone's faces froze at that statement.

...Because of the bomb, right?
Yeah. The bomb Watase set is sleeping in Area Zero.

Watase spoke uncomfortably in response to Natsuhiko.

Furthermore, the bomb's set to explode just one minute after the bulkheads open--

Natsuhiko glanced at Brain Cell's monitor. It displayed the time ''18:19''.

In just under 40 minutes, this facility's gonna be blown sky high...

Thanks to Natsuhiko's untargeted telepathy, not even Mashiro needed to be brought up to speed. Everyone had the same information, and spoke their own opinions.

If we catch Ms. Tachibana and erase her malice, can't we all escape together?
Can't you use BC to call Kazami Tachibana?
It might be difficult. The WX particle energy levels in each area have already dropped down as low as 1 mSv.
When did they get that low?
Just now, I guess. Looks like it's been dropping around 2000 mSv an hour for some time.
Hmm... I agree with that assessment. Everyone, look at that.

Ukita pointed at Brain Cell's monitor.

You may have forgotten, but Brain Cell's monitor-- --has indicators for the 'estimated lockdown end time' and 'WX particle energy level in Area N'. Area N's current energy level is '2789 mSv'. And it's decreasing rapidly.

Now that he mentioned it, the monitor indeed displayed that value. But the value began decreasing to 2788 mSv, 2787 mSv, 2786 mSv. Once the value reached 0 mSv, the bulkheads would probably open.

I see. If Area N's energy levels have decreased that much, then it makes sense that the other areas are so low.
...With particle levels this low, area to area communication might be impossible.
Also, the malice has gotten Kazami pretty bad. Even if you were able to get telepathy through to her, I doubt she'd come here...

Their facial expressions became strained.

Then... we've got two routes we can take. Do we find Ms. Tachibana within 40 minutes? Or do we go down to Area Zero and defuse the bomb?
The latter should be safer, so let's go with that. After all, us rescue workers have procedures for disarming bombs.
Huh, you do? I never heard a thing about--
That just means there are a lot of memories you haven't read with Senses Sympathy.

Now that he mentioned it, that was a natural conclusion. It wasn't as if Natsuhiko had read all of Watase's memories.

As rescue workers, we can't have any of that.
Indeed... It would be bad if someone got caught in the blast...

Natsuhiko nodded.

So I think we should follow my mother's directions and hack into Brain Cell to activate the elevator to Area Zero. We need three people to steal root authority. So how about three people stay here in the control room while the others go down to Area Zero?
No, there's no need for everyone to come down. Moribe and I will be fine on our own--
Wait, I'll go too. This is my problem, too.
Then I'll go too.
Huh, you too, Salyu?
Modern bombs usually come with digital protection. I can use Alice to negate that protection easily. I'm confident I can do it faster than the rescue squad.
I see... Sounds hopeful.

Everyone nodded.

Then Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and I will do the hacking.
I'll stay up here in case Ms. Tachibana appears.
Okay... that sounds good.

All eight people exchanged glances.

Okay, then let's begin!
Yeah!

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

Everyone mobilized at once. --First, Natsuhiko's group connected Alice Number 2 to Brain Cell. The authentication screen appeared on the three control terminals. Alice Number 2's monitor displayed a manual which they referenced to confirm the security nullification process.

They took a can of medical grade liquid nitrogen from the infirmary. Along the way, Salyu retrieved Alice Number 1 from the girl's restroom.

All right... we're all set on our end.

Mr. Tenkawa, we're good to go! Steal root authority!
Okay, let's do this! Yuuri! Mashiro!
Yes!
Bring it on!

And then the kids simultaneously operated the terminals. --Brain Cell's monitor changed completely to display a list of all the installations in the facility.

(We've only got one chance! We have to finish everything within 30 seconds!)

They scrolled through the gigantic menu screen and chose the security settings for Area N and Area Zero. Then they negated the security clearances for both areas so that the elevator could be activated freely.

Okay! That should do it!
I'll go check!

Ena dashed out of the control room. Eventually, an alert came up on Brain Cell's screen.

The alerts continued.

As soon as that screen appeared, Alice Number 2's monitor suddenly shut down.

Alice No. 2: Kyuu...
Agh!

Yuuri panicked and tried touching Alice Number 2. But no matter how much she touched her or shook her, Alice Number 2 didn't move.

D-did she break?
Looks like it...

If Watase's team hadn't gotten the news in time, then they were totally out of options. As that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Ena returned.

Ms. Ena, how'd it go!?
It worked! Captain Kasasagi's group was able to go down!
W... we did it!

Yuuri cheered. Natsuhiko took a deep breath and pumped his fist.

Now then, how about we leave the bomb to Salyu's group... and we go search for Ms. Tachibana?
We can't, Ms. Toba. Not with those injuries of yours. You just finished up a blood transfusion, remember? Just walking around this facility is dangerous enough on its own.
But...

Once Mashiro said that, a certain idea struck Natsuhiko.

...Wait, perhaps we don't need to walk around to look for her.
Huh?
I just thought of a way to call Ms. Tachibana here.

Natsuhiko smiled as he came up with the answer.

We'll have to take a chance on if she'll come or not... but in any case, let's move to Area 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Time trick: 09/16/2030, 17:36

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

The Senior Fellows that Watase had brought down with him on his last trip there were lying dead by the elevators. Watase had resigned himself to their deaths, and everyone else knew about their fates due to Natsuhiko's BC usage on them all earlier, so none of them were surprised, but--

(... I'm sorry.)

Watase still felt deep regret about the whole thing. Jun put her hands together in prayer for the two lost souls, then looked around.

I can't believe there's a place like this under LABO...
The deepest basement area... the heart of LABO.

Ukita looked away from the bodies and muttered to himself.

Salyu said nothing. She just looked at the ceiling with dull eyes.

...I planted the bomb in Subject N's room. Let's go.

And when they got there--

Jun couldn't help raising her voice in shock.

This was Subject N's straightjacket. They restrained her in this thing.
N-no, not that...

Jun looked around. Not at the straightjacket, but at the entire room.

What's wrong, Moribe?
...No, nevermind. Anyway, let's take care of that bomb pronto!
Indeed!

The group ran over to the bomb set in the middle of the room.

Yeah. The detonator to this one is much more complex than the other bombs. It's got a tilt sensor and an optical sensor, so it won't be easy to disarm.
Sheesh, how typical of a terrorist organization...
But we can probably take care of it if we can remove the digital protection.
Understood. First we undo the protection. Now that Alice is connected, we use the liquid nitrogen on it. We can't do anything if we don't disable the sensors first, see.
Got it.

Watase then took the liquid nitrogen can out of his pocket. He was then about to use it on the bomb when--

(...!?)

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He suddenly noticed something.

What's wrong, Captain!? If you don't hurry, the time of the explosion's gonna...
W-well, about that--

Everyone looked at the bomb's timer when he said that. The digital countdown displayed the time remaining until the explosion.

00:39:15, 00:39:14... According to Watase's watch, the current time was ''5:37:47''. It was then that Watase realized-- No-- that he -remembered- it.

H-hey...! The detonation time...! It was set to '6:17 PM', wasn't it!?
Wh-what about it...!?
This doesn't make sense! I made sure to set the bomb so that it went off one minute after the lockdown was lifted! So-- why did the timer in the control room say the lockdown would lift at '6:19 PM'!? That's two minutes short! The bomb'll go off before the lockdown's lifted!!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Everyone gasped. The bomb's timer wasn't off. It was the lockdown timer that was off-- it was now scheduled for just a few minutes later than when Watase and Ukita had first checked it.

Y-yeah, that is strange! When we went to the control room for the first time at the start of the search-- Brain Cell showed that the lockdown would be lifted at '6:16 PM'!
Why...? When was it delayed!?
I-I don't know! Did someone change the lockdown end time!?
No, that's impossible! Brain Cell automatically sets that time based on the BC particle energy level readings in Area N! Normally, it'd be impossible for the lockdown end time to fall behind!
What could cause it, then?
Mmm... well, I suppose it could happen if the amplifier went haywire again and caused the BC particle energy levels to rise once more, or...
...!?

Something about Ukita's explanation clicked in Watase's mind.

O-old man... what'd you just say!?
Huh? Oh, well, if the WX particle amplifier were to go haywire again--
No, before that! How did you say Brain Cell automatically sets the lockdown end time!?
That's... It does that by measuring the BC particle energy readings in Area N and calculating approximately how long it'll take for them to die down to 1 mSv.
...!

Just then, numerous pieces fell into place in Watase's head.

The auditory hallucination he had heard for six hours. Senses Sympathy. Communicators. BC particle energy levels--

Huh...!?
It wasn't just the WX particle amplifier that was amplifying the BC particle energy levels. It was also Natsuhiko... He was amplifying the energy levels in Area N for six hours. Because he was constantly using BC in Area N that whole time!
Ah...! Aaaaah!
I-I see... so the energy produced by the WX particle amplifier and the energy emitted by Natsuhiko together-- Added up to a slight increase of the overall BC particle energy levels in Area N!
So that means Brain Cell recalculated the lockdown end time--
Yeah.

Watase instinctively held his head.

So the lockdown end time was extended by three minutes, meaning the bomb will go off two minutes before then...!

Everyone's eyes widened at those words.

Th-this is real bad... we need to let the others know!
No, there's no time for that...!
What would telling them even accomplish? It won't do anything to improve the situation.
Y-yeah...!

Despite his words, Watase was feeling intense regret. Though he'd already set the bomb, he figured the nine of them could just wait for the lockdown to lift and escape as soon as that happened. But with the bomb set to go off before the lockdown ended, freeing Kazami from her malice wouldn't matter in the slightest. They would all die in the explosion.

(Goddammit, this can't be happening...! (This never would have happened if we hadn't set the bomb to begin with!)

Just as Watase thought that-- --he heard some noise coming from the ceiling.

What was that!?

He looked up in surprise. When he did, he heard Natsuhiko's voice coming out of a speaker built into the ceiling.

--Ms. Tachibana, can you hear me?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

One thing that I didn't see you pick up on that I'd like to drag back up for no particular reason is that Natsuhiko and Yuuri recently confirmed that Salyu was entirely malice-free.

The same Salyu that did what happened in Binding, back in Route After. She did that entirely without Subject N running interference.

Salyu is loving hardcore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Well yeah, it's obvious she wasn't maliced up from the lack of the consistent and rather noticeable Racoon Eyeshadow that everyone else had.

Meanwhile, a Thing Natsuhiko did wrong: using BC for six hours straight. You're supposed to see a doctor after four!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

TheMcD posted:

One thing that I didn't see you pick up on that I'd like to drag back up for no particular reason is that Natsuhiko and Yuuri recently confirmed that Salyu was entirely malice-free.

The same Salyu that did what happened in Binding, back in Route After. She did that entirely without Subject N running interference.

Salyu is loving hardcore.

That's not even the worst one. What about the bad end where... I forget, either Jun or Kazami was cut entirely in half and ends with Watase getting kicked off a ledge.

I have no idea where it is because this LP is insanely long, but yeah.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 17, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Calling that the final enemy will be Malyu. Failing to cleanse her will result in everyone in the facility dying, followed shortly after by your save game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm just thinking how insanely ridiculous a Salyu with Senses Sympathy would be.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BenRGamer posted:

That's not even the worst one. What about the bad end where... I forget, either Jun or Kazami was cut entirely in half and ends with Watase getting kicked off a ledge.

I have no idea where it is because this LP is insanely long, but yeah.

I have to admit, that doesn't ring a bell. Anybody have an idea where that could be?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

--went to the surveillance room with Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena. Since they had no way of knowing whether or not they could reach Kazami with BC, they decided to call out to her directly. They sent her a message using the PA mic that Watase had repaired.

...I understand why you'd want to kill Watase. And how you're disappointed in him and want to at least protect his honor. Because Watase was once the man you thought he was: someone who put his life on the line to save others.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

...But his mind warped. Sixteen years ago was the Great Arson... He hated the ones who concealed the truth behind it.

Allow me to say just one thing.

You saw just how hard he worked while he had amnesia, didn't you, Ms. Tachibana? He was a good guy at the time. Even though he was incompetent, he was strong-willed, and held no regard for his own life if it meant saving others--

How he used his body as a shield to protect Yuuri from the collapsed ceiling. How he headed to Area N alone to extinguish the fires he thought were there and save everyone.

...I've been watching Watase all this time. He may be a terrorist, but when he lost his memories and returned to the pure essence of Watase... His true nature was that of a 'hero'. Even as he drafted the terrorist plot, he was always working hard to ensure he took no human lives. And when he regained his terrorist memories, he still worked desperately to save everyone. ...So it'd be a waste to kill him, don't you think?

Indeed-- that was what Natsuhiko thought at the time. He didn't want Watase to die. It didn't matter what kind of person Watase was now. The fact that Yuuri was alive was unmistakably thanks to him.

I don't want you to defile your hands either, Ms. Tachibana... Watase's crimes should be judged before the public. And for that to happen, don't we all need to survive and escape as a group? All nine of us, no exceptions...!

By getting out of LABO alive, Watase's crime would not disappear afterwards. And neither would the memory of his day of wrath before his crime. But even so, he should live so he could atone. Even if purgatory awaited him outside, he should live to see the days after.

...And there's one last thing I'd like to tell you, Ms. Tachibana.

She spread BC filled with malice while she was alive...

We want to bring you back to the strict, yet gentle Lieutenant Tachibana. ...So please come to the surveillance room. We'll be waiting for you.

Natsuhiko left that long message and ended the broadcast. When he turned around, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena were waiting for him.

Hikorin...
Natsuhiko, you're being a little too naive, don'tcha think?
But this might help Captain Kasasagi reflect a little, too.

Natsuhiko smiled wryly at those words.

(... Hopefully, that is...)

Natsuhiko prayed that his announcement would resonate in Watase's mind and help give him a change of heart. But that hope was nothing more than hope. There was a more pressing matter at hand for him to take care of.

Now then... all we have to do now is wait for Ms. Tachibana.

The others nodded at those words.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Raven's determination: 09/16/2030, 17:43

Natsuhiko's speech brought renewed determination to Watase and the others' faces as they glared at the bomb.

Boy, we really can't return empty-handed after hearing all that, can we?
Indeed. Now that it has come to this, we must disarm the bomb no matter the cost...!
Time's running out. Let's begin.
Yeah...!

Watase nodded firmly. Now he needed to atone for his sins in all sorts of ways.

(... I swear I won't let anyone die. In the off chance that we can't disarm the bomb... I'll--...!)

Dark thoughts gathered in the corners of Watase's heart. But he pushed them aside for now and used the liquid nitrogen on the bomb.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kazami Tachibana: 09/16/2030, 17:43

Nobody said a word. Silence filled the room.

(Will Ms. Tachibana come...!?)

Natsuhiko and Ena stood closer to the door to protect Yuuri and Mashiro. Ena held her gun behind her back, leaving no holes in her vigilance. Natsuhiko left the gun he got from Ukita slung in his belt.

(Hopefully I won't have to use this thing, though...!)

As soon as Natsuhiko had that thought, the heavy silence was shattered.

...It's been a while, hasn't it, Tenkawa?

Kazami looked at Natsuhiko with dull eyes. She didn't bring Subject N with her. She must've put her down somewhere.

...Thanks for coming.
Something about your announcement piqued my interest. Watase and I have had our minds warped by BC, you say? And you say you can 'bring me back to normal'? What is the meaning of that?
...I'll explain it briefly. First off, Yuuri and I are high level Communicators. Our abilities are 'telepathy', 'empathy', and a third ability, which synchronizes human minds and allows for memory manipulation: Senses Sympathy.
You're saying such an ability exists?
It's an ability that's unknown to the general public. Communicators that can use it are also extremely rare. It's not just us who can use it. 'Subject N'-- --the girl you call 'Nagisa'-- was able to use it too.
She too was a high level Communicator. But as a side effect of the experiments, her mind was contaminated with unimaginable malice. Through BC, that malice propagated to the people who came in contact with her-- They lost mental stability and began attacking others. That's the truth of the incident that happened here.

Kazami silently looked on with doubt and hostility in her eyes.

So what are you suggesting you'll do to me...?
...We'll erase the malice from your mind as well.

Natsuhiko tensely answered.

(She's the last one, so I'll do it carefully... I'll look in every nook and cranny of Ms. Tachibana's mind and erase all of the malice. We don't have much time left, so we can't afford any failures...!)

Each confrontation with her whittled down his mind. There was no guarantee he could withstand another one. But as that thought crossed his mind, he received telepathy from Yuuri.

{If you think you've reached your limit, then I'll go instead--}
{... No, Yuuri. I'm grateful for the sentiment, but let's not. If you get infected with Subject N's malice, then maybe not even I could stop you. It'd be the end of everything at that point.}
{...!}
{We can't let that happen, right? So please continue what you've been doing and take care of covering for me.}
{O... okay.}

Yuuri nodded and grabbed Natsuhiko's hand.

(It'll be okay... We've come so far already...)

Please, don't be frightened. We just want to bring you back to normal.
I see... So you'll do that... regardless of whether I want it or not, won't you?
...Yes.
Because we want to gather everyone and escape together...

Natsuhiko and Yuuri said that as they reached their hands out to Kazami's fore head. Mashiro and Ena gulped as they watched the two of them unite their minds-- And dive into Kazami's memory.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So I'd just like to say something regarding our upcoming trip through Kazami's memories. It is in this segment that the game will reveal what I consider to be the best twist in the game. I consider it to be the best twist because it makes perfect sense and you could have totally figured out it was coming beforehand, but it's not something you'd be thinking about, so you don't see it coming at all. That was the case for me, anyway. But then again, I'm thick and don't see things coming at all as more of a general rule. Still, I haven't seen something approaching it brought up in the thread before, so you might have the same blind spot.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

...I feel like that shouldn't have worked. The whole way malice has been shown to work is N rewriting memories so that the malice-havers hear more antagonistic things from others than were actually said to them (or more generally just hearing what N wants them to remember hearing), but Kazami was allowed to hear that message in full, think about it, then act on it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

...I feel like that shouldn't have worked. The whole way malice has been shown to work is N rewriting memories so that the malice-havers hear more antagonistic things from others than were actually said to them (or more generally just hearing what N wants them to remember hearing), but Kazami was allowed to hear that message in full, think about it, then act on it?

...I'll say that there's a reason it went down that way and leave it at that. It's not a plot hole, it's a mystery to be solved.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

TheMcD posted:

I have to admit, that doesn't ring a bell. Anybody have an idea where that could be?

Found it.

Falling Down.

Edit: Rereading it, it was probably the explosion that did all the damage to the people, but Salyu was definitely the one that kicked him--none of the others had kicking/brawling like that as their MO, they all mostly just used guns or improvised weapons.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 17, 2017

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Subject N's room is totally a recreation of Nagisa's room which is why Jun was shocked to see it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I mean. If you wanted to try and go full-out N on N sending your puppet right at the guy would be a good time to do it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TheMcD posted:

...I'll say that there's a reason it went down that way and leave it at that. It's not a plot hole, it's a mystery to be solved.
My guess is that N outright mind-dumped her gestalt (or at least a significant portion of it) into Tachibana. She'd certainly go willingly if that were the case, as it would present a colossal trap for Natsuhiko when he used Senses Sympathy.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

NGDBSS posted:

My guess is that N outright mind-dumped her gestalt (or at least a significant portion of it) into Tachibana. She'd certainly go willingly if that were the case, as it would present a colossal trap for Natsuhiko when he used Senses Sympathy.

This being anime what with the contrived coincidences and such, I'm placing my bets on that N-ified Nagisa infecting her sister somehow restoring some kind of identity leading to something altogether different for this one is what I'm thinking, as Tachibana was running around carrying her, calling her by name.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 18, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Concerto du vent: Concerto for wind: 03/30/2021, 10:51

A memory of when Kazami was 19 years old...

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Kazami spoke to the girl next to her as they stood in the midst of that warm breeze.

Nice weather, isn't it, Nagisa?
Sure is, Sis.

The one who answered was Kazami's sister, ''Nagisa''. Today was Kazami's day off, so she went to the park for the first time in ages. She could hear the sounds of children playing in the distance.

Hey wait, you sneak attacked me! One more time from the start!
Heheh, still gonna lose no matter what you do.
What was that--!?

--It appeared a boy and a girl were playing hip sumo. She'd seen the boy before. He was probably one of the kids who lived around this neighborhood.

Oh look, those kids are about your age. Why don't you go play with them?
N-no... that game looks kinda hard...
Oh, that's fine. It'd be better for you to not play any rough games anyway. Then why don't we just take a nice little walk?
Yeah!

Kazami took her beaming sister by the hand and broke out into a walk. --Nagisa had been born with a frail body. She didn't have any chronic diseases or anything like that, but she had weak cardiopulmonary function, and she was prone to catching colds and such. That was why they hadn't visited the park in a while.

(I guess she inherited too much from Mother and Father...)

The sisters didn't have any parents. They both passed away from cancer-- their mother five years ago, and their father three. Kazami currently worked at a flower shop to support Nagisa. But as they had no family aside from each other, their sisterly bonds were very strong.

You'll be starting elementary school soon, huh?
Yeah. You think I can make lots of friends?
Of course. In that school, definitely.
You're right. Eheehee, I'm so excited for it.

Seeing Nagisa's smile filled Kazami with joy. Nagisa had only been 3 years old when their father had passed away. It had not been easy for the then-16-year-old Kazami to raise her sister by herself. But it had by no means been a painful experience. For Nagisa was a very kind girl. Her smile always greeted Kazami when she came home from work. It was nigh-therapeutic for Kazami to see such consideration from her sister despite her young age. Nagisa was the most precious treasure that Kazami's parents had left behind for her. Though she was her younger sister, it felt the other way around at the same time. And so Kazami had properly raised her sister until the time had come for her to enter elementary school. Nagisa meant everything to her.

...By the way, looks like spring's finally started for real now.
Yeah, it's so nice and warm out. Why don't we just rest and enjoy the sun, Sis?
Now that's a good idea.

Kazami and Nagisa laid down in the grass.

Mmm, it feels so nice too.

The spring sunlight shone upon the sisters. Kazami thought to herself as she lay engulfed in the warm light.

(... It's already been three years since I started supporting Nagisa, huh... Maybe it was thanks to this city that we were able to make it so far.)

It had already been seven years since Rokumei City had been made a government designated top secret city. The city's social services had considerably bloomed in that time, allowing Kazami and Nagisa to reap their benefits. The city had profited immensely from its many science and technology industries (centered around nuclear power and BC)-- and that wealth provided for the sisters.

(I should be grateful for that... even though I have virtually no aptitude.)

Kazami also had BC aptitude, but very little of it-- she was only ''Rank D''. Those at that level could hardly call themselves Communicators-- it pretty much took all their effort to have even the slightest hope of using telepathy. Kazami couldn't even use telepathy, so she'd never attended Rokumei Academy. --But there were more important things to worry about. When she was 12, the city had been swept by a horrible disaster. ''The Great Rokumei City Arson''-- an attack committed by an extremist group who hated Communicators. The Tachibana family had fortunately been unaffected by the incident, but the facts surrounding it were enough to frighten Kazami. So to be careful, she had instructed both herself and her sister to not talk about BC very much.

(But, well, I guess that will have to end soon... For Nagisa, at the very least...)

Drowsiness started catching up to her as she idly thought about that.

(Oh... oh no. Nagisa will get bored if I fall asleep...)

But she had a hard time staving off the exhaustion that came with having worked hard day after day.

...Oh, Sis? Are you asleep...?

Nagisa's voice also sounded like it was very far away.

(I'm sleepy... no, I mustn't sleep... but I'm sleepy...)

Despite her struggle to stay awake, Kazami dozed off.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Kazami had a sad dream. It was about Nagisa going away somewhere.

(Nagisa! Wait, don't go! Don't go! You'll never be able to come back if you do!)

She tried to scream aloud, but her voice wouldn't obey her. In spite of that, Nagisa quietly turned around--

Kazami then woke up.

H-huh...!? Where's Nagisa!?

Kazami was astonished. She wondered if her dream had become reality for a moment--

Next to her was a local girl named ''Jun''. It appeared that Nagisa had come across her and the two of them had started playing while Kazami was asleep.

(Oh no, how could I have been so careless!?)

Kazami frantically stood up and ran on over to them.

J-Jun! I'm so sorry you had to watch over Nagisa for me!
Oh, Kazami. Nah, it's cool, I was having fun too.
You were sleeping like a log, Sis, so I didn't wanna wake you up...
I can't believe I dozed off like that... It must be because it's so nice and warm today...

Nagisa and Jun laughed at Kazami's embarrassed reaction.

...Oh my, it looks like it's already past noon now. Why don't we go home and I'll fix you up some lunch?
Yeah! I'm starving!

Kazami then took Nagisa and Jun hand in hand and started heading back to her residence. She believed that this simple peace would last forever...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Requiem: 04/07/2021, 15:11

Kazami hurried on home after getting off of work.

Tomorrow was Nagisa's first day of elementary school. So Kazami wanted to have a fun day with her sister before then and make sure she was ready for tomorrow.

(I'd like to take the day off tomorrow so we can celebrate her first day. Oh, it'd be nice to invite Jun over too while I'm at it...)

The moment that thought crossed her mind-- A fire truck's sirens screeched as it sped past Kazami.

(...? Did something happen...?)

She suddenly felt uneasy. Kazami looked towards the skies above her destination, and then noticed it-- --A line of smoke rising from the direction of the apartment complex where she and Nagisa lived.

Huh...!?

Kazami instinctively broke into a dash. She felt like she could hear Nagisa calling for help. And the sight that awaited her was--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

--the partially collapsed apartment complex engulfed in a wall of smoke.

Aah, aaah, aaaaaah... This can't be! No! What is this...!?

She couldn't believe her eyes. Firefighters ran around while onlookers gathered around and started making a ruckus.

Onlooker 1: Oh my God! What the hell happened here!?
Onlooker 2: It was a gas explosion! Boy, I feel sorry for anyone still in there...

Just as they said, the third floor-- the one where the Tachibanas lived-- was collapsing.

Aah, aaah... Nagisa, Nagisa...!

Kazami staggered towards the apartment complex.

Debris fell from the ceiling with each step she took. Ignoring it, Kazami headed straight for the staircase leading to the third floor,

???: Hey, what are you doing!?

only to be stopped by a voice from downstairs.

!?

Wh-who are you...?
I'm a rescue worker. I'm here to rescue those trapped here. Do you have family here?
Y-yes, my little sister! Please save her! She's in Room 303--!
We were actually heading there ourselves just now. Don't worry, I swear we'll save your sister! But it's dangerous for you here, so please wait outside.
O... okay!

She felt she could trust the man from the calm voice he spoke with. She reluctantly nodded and headed out of the apartment complex.

He also brought out Jun, who had also been in the apartment and got caught in the explosion as well. The two girls were taken to the hospital in an ambulance, with Kazami not far behind.

A medical exam revealed that Nagisa had been struck in the head during the explosion and was suffering from severe blood loss. Kazami spent an entire sleepless day in front of the ICU, praying for the moment she could see Nagisa safe and sound. Then in the middle of the night on April 8-- The doctor in charge of Nagisa's treatment exited the ICU.

Doctor! How's Nagisa!? How's my sister!?

The doctor's expression grew grave at Kazami's cries.

Doctor: It pains me to inform you of this, but...!
--...!

Kazami heard her entire world shatter at that moment. --She didn't remember much of what happened after that. She couldn't accept the fact that she lost Nagisa... The loss even temporarily robbed her of her mental stability.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Nagisa... hey, where are you...? It's almost time to eat... let's go home. You know, home? Back at the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex...

Kazami wandered the city in search of her long gone sister and her long gone home. None of it felt real to her. It was like it had all happened in a dream. The days blurred into one another. Kazami was staying at a temporary home provided by the union that managed her apartment complex. It seemed like someone had tried to visit her on multiple occasions, but even that felt uncertain to her. It was probably a representative from the union coming to apologize to her. She thought she heard a voice apologizing to her over and over again. But none of that mattered to her. She turned away all visitors. All that waited for her after walking through the city every day was a trip back to that temporary home. That was her new life. She didn't work. She barely ate-- All she did day after day was continue to search for what she had lost.

One day, she came across Jun after visiting that park for the first time in a while.

When she asked Jun that, the girl started shouting with tears in her eyes.

That's enough! That's enough, Kazami! You'll never find her no matter how much you look...! 'Cause no matter where you look, Nagisa's already gone!
Wha... what are you talking about...?
Nagisa's dead! She got hit in the head in that explosion back then!

--For a moment, Kazami didn't understand what she'd just heard. But those words pierced through her heart-- And parted the fog that had been clouding her head.

(Ah...)

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

She recalled a memory that had been shut away in her clouded mind. --A small funeral home on the outskirts of town. The chanting of sutras. Jun, who had come despite the lack of many other attendees. The rescue workers who saved Nagisa looking at Kazami with utter guilt and condolences. And Nagisa, resting in her casket-- ...She couldn't tell how many days had passed since then. The events of that day slowly began to fill her mind.

So she's... dead, huh...?

Kazami finally accepted reality. It then hit her again just how valuable what she lost was. --She was finally all alone. She lost her only sister, after ages of the two of them living by themselves. How was she supposed to live now without Nagisa in her life? When Kazami thought that-- Jun suddenly spoke up as if she had come to a decision.

I won't leave you alone. 'Cause I'll be your little sister-- since Nagisa no longer can.
Huh...?
I know I'm nothing like her and that I'm not cute at all... but I'll be your little sister, Sis. So... So that's why...
Jun... you...

It was when she heard those words that Kazami realized something. She wasn't the only one grieving. Jun was also mourning the death of Nagisa. And Kazami had spent the last few weeks only adding to that poor girl's sorrow.

(... I'm not alone... I have Jun with me too. We both share the same sorrow...)

Jun, a stranger of tender years, had treated her with kindness-- The same kindness that Nagisa had possessed. Kazami gently embraced Jun and spoke.

...Thank you.

Her room was probably a total mess. She had gone through each day in a daze not even realizing it.

(I should clean up first once I get back...)

She then walked up to her door with that thought in mind-- But then stopped.

...?

She noticed an envelope sticking out of her mail box. She took it out to find it the sender was ''Rokumei City Fire Department''.

What's this about...?

Kazami gently opened the envelope. In it was a tiny, crumpled up box, and a letter. The letter, written in very rough handwriting, read as such:

Huh? Huh...?

Kazami didn't recognize those names.

'Frequent visits'...? What are they talking about?

Now that she thought about it, she thought she'd felt someone visit her house several times and apologize to her while she'd been living in denial.

(They were... these firefighters? I turned these people away...!?)

Her memories of that time were completely blank.

(And what's this something that Nagisa was holding when they rescued her...!?)

Kazami tried to restrain her confusion and looked at the box in the envelope. It was a small box with a ribbon tied around it. It looked like a gift box. Kazami gently untied the ribbon and opened the box--

...!?

The necklace appeared to be a locket-- one that could house a photograph. There was another small letter enclosed. This letter, written in Nagisa's handwriting, read as such:

...Aaah... Aah, aaah, aaaaaah...

Sobs burst from Kazami's throat the moment she saw the letter. The tears that had never come after Nagisa's death were suddenly all rushing out of her at once.

Aaaaaaaaah! Waaaaaggh!!

Kazami weeped bitterly, not caring if she was attracting others' attention.

Nagisa... Nagisaaaaa!

With each hoarse scream she let out, the words Nagisa had written soaked into her soul more and more. Memories of the days she'd spent with her sister flashed through her brain and disappeared just as quickly. Kazami just stayed there crying for what felt like forever, all while clutching Nagisa's gift. Before long, those tears dried up-- And Kazami made up her mind.

(... I'll live... for both myself, and for Nagisa...)

That was the only thing she could do for her. Kazami's decision filled her heart with hope.

If she'd gotten home sooner that day, she might have been able to save Nagisa. Before she knew it, Kazami became completely obsessed with that idea.

(... Just living for Nagisa's sake isn't enough... There must be something I can use my life for. So that nobody else has to lose someone like I lost Nagisa...!)

It wasn't long before Kazami took that train of thought to its conclusion and decided on her own path in life.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Kazami told Jun of her decision the next time she saw her.

But why? This is so sudden...
No, it isn't. I've thought everything through, and this is the conclusion I reached.
What about your job at the flower shop?
I liked that job... but I'll quit it and join firefighting school.

She didn't have to worry about living expenses for the time being since she had received a great deal of compensation money from the apartment complex management union. But Jun stared at Kazami after a brief silence, then spoke.

Hey, Sis... Uh, is this-- is this about what happened to Nagisa?
That's...
If it is, then I'm against you becoming a firefighter.
Why?
'Cause you're being unbelievably reckless, that's why.
...!

Jun's words did hold a ring of truth to them. Kazami hadn't been able to save Nagisa back then. It was probably presumptuous of her to think that she possibly could have saved her if she'd been there. But despite that-- Kazami wanted to save many lives in the future to atone for that.

I understand your concerns. But the answer's no. I won't change my mind.
Wh-why?
Well, why indeed...?

Kazami smiled gently. All while thinking Nagisa would have supported her if she were there--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Walkuerenritt: Ride of the Valkyries: 04/01/2027, 16:45

Kazami had passed the civil service exam, graduated from firefighting school, and was assigned to the Rokumei City Eastern Fire Station. Since she hadn't had to do any sort of manual labor up until that point, she had to push herself to the limit to become a firefighter. But she overcame her trials and worked with all her might every day. She never hesitated, not even at dispatches where her life was at stake. She had little to lose and bore a huge responsibility. That allowed her to forge an iron will and bravery that bordered on recklessness. --She tempered herself with that iron will of hers.

(I have to get stronger... or I won't be able to save anyone.)

Kazami had learned of her own weakness through the weeks she had spent wandering around in a daze like an empty shell. So to overcome that weakness, she put herself through rigorous training beyond the norm. Her body and mind grew in strength with each strenuous day. Before long, they granted her a level of skill that defied her gender and natural talent. Then four years after she became a firefighter-- Kazami's skills were finally acknowledged, allowing her to enlist in Sirius. Thus came about the birth of the Rokumei City Fire Department's first female rescue worker.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Then one early afternoon, shortly before her transfer was to take place-- Kazami passed by the Central Fire Station and witnessed a man jogging around the grounds.

(That man is a member of Sirius...)

They both worked for the Rokumei City Fire Department. She at least knew his name and face. They had never spoken before because they'd been working in different stations, but that was all about to change. Figuring she should give him a brief greeting, Kazami waited for the man to come on over. It wasn't long before he returned to the fire station's front gate.

Kazami walked up to the man as he took a breath. Though he had a somewhat harsh look on his face and seemed strict-- Kazami had to contain the feelings welling from her heart when she saw his face up Close.

(... We finally meet...!)

She hesitated for a few seconds, then resolved herself and called out to him.

Excuse me!
Hmm?
You are Fire Sergeant Watase Kasasagi, captain of Sirius' Team A, correct?
I am... and you are?
I am Kazami Tachibana, Firefighter. I'm scheduled to enlist in Sirius starting next week, sir.

Watase's eyes widened in what appeared to be surprise and interest when he saw the salute Kazami gave and heard her introduction.

So you're our department's lady rescue worker, huh? I've heard the rumors. The commander did say we had this incredible female firefighter in our midst.
Sir! I am honored to hear that, sir!

Kazami stood straight as she kept up the salute. Her heart was ringing like an alarm bell.

Now now, no need to be so tense. We'll be squadmates starting next week, after all.
But you are my superior.
Well, that's true. Guess you've got a point. Anyway, I look forward to working with you. I'm expecting great things from you.
And I look forward to working under your command, sir.

Watase lightly patted the polite Kazami on the shoulder and headed back towards the station. Kazami watched him walk away and thought to herself:

(... So he really doesn't remember, does he... Well, I suppose it has been six years.)

Kazami smiled wryly. --The name ''Watase Kasasagi'' was well-known even in the Eastern Fire Station. He was known as ''Sirius' Ace'', ''Iron Man'' and ''Rokumei City's King Kong''. But those nicknames didn't matter. For he was a very special rescue worker to Kazami-~

(He's the one... who stopped me in the apartment six years ago and rescued Nagisa...)

He was also the one who'd visited her over and over again in an attempt to deliver the locket Nagisa had entrusted him with. That said, Kazami didn't even remember that part. It appeared Watase had forgotten as well. But Kazami still wore that locket to that day. She'd been hoping to thank him all those years... But a long time had gone by without a single apology from her for sending him away. Bringing it up now would probably just cause Watase to relive his guilt of failing to save Nagisa. But Kazami had always hoped that a day would come where she could thank him.

(Would Nagisa be angry... if I said one of my reasons for enlisting in Sirius was so I could work at the same place as that man?)

Kazami looked to the skies with that thought.

(I met the man who rescued you after all these years. He seems strict, but he really is a nice person. You big sister will be doing her best... so please keep cheering me on.)

All the tension Kazami had been feeling loosened up during her brief conversation with Watase. And at the same time, she started to look forward to her new job a little bit--. But she had no time to entertain such thoughts after joining Sirius. On duty, Watase was harsh and cold, leaving no room at all for sentimentalities. In contrast, Kazami was impulsive and straightfoward: the kind who kept throwing herself into danger on dispatches. The two of them kept clashing over their opinions, meaning Kazami kept losing more and more chances to thank him. Then one day-- She got injured during a dispatch.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Tachibana! You were way too reckless back there! Didn't you hear me tell you to stop!? Didn't I say you were running in too deep!?
...My apologies.

Kazami replied while keeping her dissatisfaction hidden. Their dispatch had been to a fire at a high-rise apartment. Kazami had jumped too eagerly at the call to save lives and got a burn on her face for it. Of course, it wasn't bad enough to leave a scar or anything. So she felt a bit irritated that Watase was giving her a full blown lecture in spite of that.

It's sheer dumb luck that you got away with just a light burn. Be extra careful to ensure you don't screw up like this ever again.
But... did we not receive a report that there was a five-year-old girl trapped in that apartment? Children's actions are unpredictable. So I felt we had to rescue her before she did something unexpect--
Are you saying it's okay to put yourself in danger if it means saving lives? Only a fool thinks that.
...!

Those words sent blood rushing to Kazami's head.

With all due respect, Captain... is it not our job to save lives? I do not believe that what you just said is befitting of a captain of Sirius.
Don't talk like you've got it all figured out! That's what an idiot does!
!!
Listen up, Tachibana. Only an amateur glorifies acts of martyrdom. It's -because- we have a duty to save lives that we can't treat our own lives so lightly. Even if you fail to save one life on the job... you can still save many more lives as long as you're alive. Dying in the line of duty means condemning all those other lives you -could- have saved, right?
...!

Kazami was shocked by those words. She had never thought of it that way. She had been working under the belief that if she were faced with someone in need of rescue, she should save them even at the cost of her own life.

(But... the Captain's absolutely right.)
...Of course, I'm not saying you should abandon lives that can be saved, not at all. But don't mistake recklessness for bravery. You're a capable one, but there's also a somewhat unstable side to you. You're so reckless I can't even bear to watch. Just make sure you correct that aspect of yourself, if nothing else.
Y... yes sir.

Kazami hung her head in shame, embarrassed of her own foolishness. Watase sighed, then patted her on the shoulder.

...Well, but then again, I do get where you're coming from.
Huh...?

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

You must still be haunted by what happened to your sister.

Kazami's eyes widened.

C-Captain, do you mean... you remember me?
Hmm? Yeah... There's no way I could ever forget you... That was the first time I had ever seen a woman look so heartbroken.
...!
I didn't say anything about it because I figured it was something you didn't really want to remember...
N-no, my apologies!

Kazami bowed deeply.

All this time, I've wanted to thank you for what you did back then myself...! Thank you very much for delivering my sister's present!
Nah, don't mention it. You should be thanking Dojima too. He's the one who actually carried her out, you see.
Y-yes sir!

Kazami bowed one more time, causing a wry smile to form on Watase's face.

...But either way, no matter what happened in the past, acting without concern for your own safety is dangerous. Keep that passion of yours in check from now on before you act. Always be calm and collected.
Roger that, sir!
Very good! Then head on over to the infirmary right away and get that burn treated!
Yes, sir! If you'll excuse me, sir!

Kazami turned around and walked off. Though she'd been scolded, her heart felt very clear.

After all, no matter how skilled they were, a rescue worker had to be calm if they wanted to survive that line of work. Once they saw she'd acquired that cool head, Watase and the rest of the team acknowledged Kazami as one of them-- And she became a member of Sirius in both name and spirit.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 18, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

L'alba separa dalla luce l'ombra: Dawn Divides the Light from the Shadows: 09/16/2030, 06:19

Her life as a rescue worker provided a sense of fulfillment. What's more, though at first, she had disagreed with him how work should be handled, Kazami made peace with Watase, and eventually grew a deep-seated respect for him. That said, they did still disagree from time to time on certain matters. This included their attitudes towards work, their readiness... And-- their thoughts on BC. When she asked him about it in a random conversation of theirs, he had this to say on the matter:

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Huh...?

He apparently disliked BC. When she asked why, he answered thusly:

I've felt this way ever since I heard about BC for the first time when I was a kid... But honestly, the whole idea of having your mind read just seems scary to me.

That wasn't unusual for people of Watase's age, but it didn't seem like that was his only reason. Watase had a bad habit of putting a bit of a wall between himself and other people. Perhaps it had something to do with how he'd lost his parents and his sister in the Great Rokumei City Arson. At any rate, Kazami decided to avoid the topic of BC from thereon out.

(It looks like it would be best to hide the fact I have aptitude from him...)

That was the one thing Kazami would never tell Watase.

Hard work gradually filled in the void in her heart left by the loss of her sister. Then one day, Jun, who adored Kazami, said that she was going to follow in her footsteps and aim to become a member of Sirius. Kazami was quite against the idea-- but she eventually caved in when faced with Jun's iron determination to follow through with that dream. And thus Team A's current roster was complete.

Kazami was just approaching the end of her night shift when-- The ear-splitting scream of a dispatch siren screeched through the station. ''Explosions of unknown origin have occurred in the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization.'' And with that ominous report-- The curtain rose on the longest day of Kazami's life.

Countless people are trapped in this lab as we speak! And due to the nature of this facility, this will be no ordinary dispatch. We don't know what will happen here, nor what unforeseen circumstances await us.
(This accident is indeed not ordinary. However--)

She was sure that they'd be able to overcome whatever was thrown their way so long as they had Watase's leadership. He had saved her many a time over the last three and a half years. Kazami had utter confidence in his amazing effeciency, and even saw him as a hero. --And in turn, Kazami had also saved Watase many times. Dojima and Hiyama, her more experienced coworkers, were also very reliable men. The one she was worried about was the newly-enlisted Jun, but Kazami had faith in the strength of her heart.

(We'll just do this like always: we'll save as many people as we can, then make it out of here with everyone in one piece. That's our job...!)

Kazami steeled her determination, then rushed into LABO with her coworkers. --Kazami and Jun searched the surface floors. They were equipped with the minimum gear necessary-- air tanks, a rope, and an engine cutter. But during their search, they lost contact with Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama. She didn't know why, but it appeared that they'd all gone down to the basement. It wasn't long afterwards that both she and Jun discovered there were still survivors in the basement and went down there themselves. But they lost sight of said survivors, and got their protection suits damaged... On top of that, they got trapped in the basement due to the declaration of a ''Case N''.

Automatic PA: In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

By her side was Jun, the girl who had become like another sister to her.

--The two of them then found two Level 2 security cards. They used those to search for an escape route and survivors as they put out the fires in the facility. But they weren't able to find either. And just as they were about to finish searching Areas 2 and 1--

Is that the Captain!?

They found Watase lying in a hallway in Area 1. The three rescue workers then began their long and arduous battle through the facility...

A floral scent suddenly wafted in from somewhere.

(The floral scent...! This is it... the memories after this point were altered! Ms. Tachibana should go back to normal if I just repair them!)
{Hikorin... we're finally at the last one. Good luck.}
(Yeah...!)

Natsuhiko agreed, resuming memory access. His search criterion was-- ''floral-scented memories''.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TheMcD posted:

I didn't say anything about it because I figured it was something you didn't really want to re me mber...

Kerning messed up the OCR here, it seems.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

Kerning messed up the OCR here, it seems.

Yeah, that's another ongoing problem. It's not like all these problems are common, but given how much text this game has for me to OCR, it's inevitable stuff like this slips in.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I don't remember the exact point but I definitely remember breaking out into tears somewhere during Requiem when I read this part originally. :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh, welp. Kazami has aptitude with BC.

Now we're going to find out what happens when another BC user gets Malice Virus'd.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Just marathoned this whole thread over the course of three days.

Does anyone else have a terrible, terrible feeling about the intersection of the melt effect, Salyu, the fact that Subject N SSS'd with Salyu so often that she N-ified, lost her own identity and became a malice bomb, and the fact that Salyu is about to head out through a zone full of WX radiation that would presumably have been tainted by Subject N? (Subject N mentioned 315 melds, Salyu's experiment terminated after 315...)

E: I mean, she literally is standing in her bedroom.
E2: oh great, the entire bomb squad (except Salyu) has already been malice-ified in the past. that can't be good.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 19, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: A: 09/16/2030, 09:20

Kazami and the others saved ''Yuuri'', a civilian who got caught up in the accident-- But then Watase said something bizarre just afterwards.

What... do you mean by that?
Well, the thing is... I don't know anything. Not who I am, or even where I am...

Now, Kazami's RAM segment is really simple. We have three scenes with three Senses inputs. The only input we have to make is Kazami's Sense of Watase, and in all three cases, the correct answer is to set it high. So that's what we're going to do.

You've got amnesia...?
...Y-yeah... I guess you -would- call this amnesia..
(That can't be--!)

Kazami was doubtful for a second, but--

Yeah... I know because my head's been hurting like hell for a while now. Maybe I hit it on something. That's probably why I'm feeling so dazed and having trouble remembering things.

P-please hold on a moment, Captain! Did you hurt your head by any chance!?
My head...? Now that you mention it, I did have this really bad headache a few minutes ago...

Fear and relief mixed in Kazami's heart when she heard that.

I knew it...! There's a possibility that you hit your head on something. That's probably why you're feeling so dazed and having trouble remembering things. Then that means your memories should return in time.
I-is that how it works?
Yes. It appears that retrograde amnesia caused by physical trauma goes away fairly quickly on its own without requiring any particular treatment in most cases.
...Then you're saying this is only temporary?
Yes. But if you suffered brain damage by any chance, it's possible that your amnesia could be permanent.
What the hell? That's horrible...! Captain, how bad is your headache? Do you feel like throwing up?
No... my head doesn't hurt at all right now, and my stomach feels fine.

Kazami felt a twinge of relief from those words.

(But though it may be temporary, it doesn't change the fact that he's in a bad spot! I must give him my support!)

Kazami focused her mind on the new, prevalent issue at hand.

But he refused to accept that proposal.

Let me help out with rescuing any other survivors!
Huh? But--
But that doesn't change that I'm still a rescue worker, right? So I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just sat on the sidelines while you're all still hard at work.

Hearing that made Kazami a little happy. For despite his amnesia, Watase still had the heart of a rescue worker.

...Sheesh, some things just never change...

--But one could not survive this line of work with passion alone. So Kazami decided to act more strictly than usual to try and protect Watase, Jun, and Yuuri.

This is no ordinary mission. So if you want to stay with us as a rescue worker, then you must be prepared to accept the responsibilities and duties that come with it.
...!
You will be treated as a new recruit until you regain your memory. I ask that you follow my orders just as Moribe does. I know this is a severe violation of my station, but trust me when I say your life could be in grave danger if you don't do as I say... Please try to understand.
Y... yeah, roger that!

Kazami silently encouraged Watase when she heard that.

(Please don't push yourself...!)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: B: 09/16/2030, 10:11

Without his memories and his skills, Watase was scared half to death, but the group pressed on in spite of that. But what awaited Kazami and the others--

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

That's... that body is...!!
Yeah... that's Dojima.
(...!!)

Kazami felt like she'd just been hit in the head from that statement.

(How can he be dead just like that...!? Why did this happen...!?)

Watase spoke in a hollow voice at that moment.

Wh-what the hell... happened here...!?

N-no, that's not it at all... I'm just not sad. It doesn't feel real to me: it's more like an event that happened in a TV show...

...I don't know. However... It looks like they'd set up a simple makeshift base in this room...

There were two broken AD ampules lying on the floor deeper in.

It appears these are the ones they'd been given at the start...
Do you think... Dojima administered it to those people?
...Yes, maybe. Dojima probably took those two under his protection and tried to come up with an escape plan.
Just like us... But... this doesn't make sense. Why did Dojima have to die...!?
...You mustn't let yourself dwell on this. Judging from the fact that there's no sign of Hiyama's body anywhere, he's probably still alive. We can still save him at the very least...
...Yeah...
Let's go for now... if we remain here much longer... then it'll be difficult even for me.

It took everything Kazami had to console Jun.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: C: 09/16/2030, 11:31

But just one hour later--

Hiyama, not you too...!

--It appeared that Hiyama had burned to death after both his legs had been broken. Kazami and Jun weren't alone: Ena, Ukita, and Yuuri were also all incredibly shaken up by that sight.

...Dying in the line of duty is an unavoidable risk in this line of work.
But Tachibana...
Please don't say anything, Captain. We can save our grief for after we've rescued the survivors and gotten outside. You have to do the same, Moribe...

Once Kazami had said that, Jun was the next to tearfully speak.

But... today was the first time... I've ever lost a coworker on the job... And now... it's happened... again...
I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun choked back a sob. Kazami didn't scold her for calling her ''Sis''. It took everything she had to hold back the tumult of emotions raging in her heart.

(I have to endure it... I have to lead everyone...!)

Tachibana, Moribe... can I have a minute?
Huh?
We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?

The AD's effects will wear off, and we barely have any on us. This may sound harsh... but we have to survive.

Anyway, just rely on me for a while. Especially you, Tachibana-- you've been carrying far too heavy a burden up until now.

Kazami looked at Watase.

(No way, but... I have to...! I'm the leader right now! That's my responsibility! There's no way I can entrust all that to the hands of someone who's lost his memories...!)

But Watase beat Kazami to the punch before she could say anything.

Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain. As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

!!

Kazami shuddered at those words. His voice, the look on his face-- they were that of the usual Watase.

Now let me hear you say it!
Sir! Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir!
E-Ensign Jun Moribe deferring to Captain's command, sir!
Good!

Watase then smiled and patted Kazami on the shoulder.

...And there you have it. Well, that was mainly for formality's sake-- I'm still counting on you both to basically keep things running the way they've been so far.

He was probably saying that in the friendliest voice he could muster in an attempt to relieve their tension. But Kazami was happy about that consideration.

Y-yes... please.

Jun then followed up as if to support Kazami's opinion.

You're right... we can't keep staying down in the dumps forever. The fires are out and we've got a card, so now we can now go all the way to Area 6. We have nothing to fear!
Yeah, that's the spirit!

Watase gave a satisfied smile. Kazami gently touched his shoulder--

...Thank you so much, Captain.

And smiled back.

But thanks to Watase's quick decisions and his well-toned body, Yuuri was saved without a scratch.

(Thank goodness... thank goodness...)

Watase then discovered there was a way to open the door to the cargo lift-- the one potentially good escape route they had. Using the nearby crane, they were successful in opening the cargo lift door. They had yet to find the survivors, but still--

(The six of us here can all escape in one piece, at the very least...)

Kazami was grateful to Watase from the bottom of her heart for that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

V mlhach: In the Mists

(Mmm, that's true... and it's not like the altered memories were all that terrible. But anyway, Ms. Tachibana should go back to her normal self if there are no more problems with her memories...)

He carefully looked through the memories, but it appeared there weren't any more in need of repair.

{... Yes, it looks all right. The memory repair is all done.}
(Yeah. But there's still something we have to take care of first.)

--Erasing the spirit of Subject N that haunted Kazami's brain.

{It looks like Ms. Tachibana's mind has been considerably corroded... Perhaps it's due more to the direct effects of the malice transmitted by N rather than any memory manipulation?}
(I can't think of any other possibilities. Okay then... it's time for the final battle! Let's go!)
{Yes!}

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This can only go impeccably. :munch:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I surely won't be caught off guard this time! Fool me four times... well that just isn't possible!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sleepers Wake: 09/16/2030, 12:15

He'd reached the point where she and the others had entered the cargo lift room and discovered Subject N's body.

(Yes, this is it... this is where that memory is...!)

--Jun, the first to go into the cargo lift room, screamed.

Moribe, what's the matter!?

The rest of the group gasped and ran on in after Jun--

--Everyone just stood absolutely still, overcome with shock. Everyone had been struck speechless by this unforeseen turn of events. It wasn't long before Kazami--

I... I'll run a vitals check on her...

--ran over to the girl with that declaration.

Status all red... Her pupils have dilated...

Kazami laid the girl down and spoke.

Moribe, help me out. I'm going to perform CPR.
R-right.

Jun hurriedly sat down next to the girl. Kazami performed cardiac massage. 15 compressions. Jun performed artificial respiration. 2 rescue breaths. The girl didn't respond.

(This is when Ms. Tachibana was infected by malice... Then shouldn't that girl be showing up any second now!? A remnant of Subject N's spirit must be here!)

Though he thought that-- Subject N still hadn't shown up.

--...-- guys have to take...--

It seemed like Watase was saying something behind her, but she ignored him. She filled her hands with strength as she continued the CPR compressions. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths--

Kazami unconsciously voiced her thoughts into words.

...ie... Nagisa, don't die...!

Jun gasped at that moment.

S-Sis...! This girl isn--... sa...!

But Kazami's thoughts had come to a halt. Jun's voice grew distant and her words carried no meaning.

(Please come back...! This can't be happening, not when we've just now reunited... I don't want this!)

Her thoughts became less and less coherent. But at that moment--

Lieutenant! Stop it already!

!

Jun's voice brought Kazami back to reality.

...Tachibana...

Kazami was astonished when she heard Watase's faint whisper.

(Ah... Did I... just lose my mind for the first time in years...?)

She thought the absolute loss of sanity she'd displayed in those weeks after Nagisa's death would never resurface again, but--

(How careless of me... I have to be calm... Be calm, be calm, be calm... This girl isn't Nagisa. Pull yourself together...)

I did everything within my power... But she's... dead.

She had been trying to act like her normal self. But for some reason, everyone looked at Kazami with what appeared to be fear on their faces.

U-um, Lieutenant Tachibana...?
Er... are you okay?
I apologize for causing you all concern. I'm all right now.

She spoke calmly once again in order to hide the irregularity in her emotions. But gloom swirled around in her heart.

(This girl isn't Nagisa... But there's no mistaking that she's a victim of this accident. Yet another... life... has been lost.)

Kazami was about to leave the room with that thought-- When she suddenly heard a voice behind her.

!?

Kazami turned around in surprise. For a moment, she thought the girl had returned to life--

Like before, there were absolutely no signs of life from the body whatsoever.

...Um, hello?

No one answered her calls.

(... I must be imagining things... I'm not calm at all right now...! I mustn't let my desires twist the facts...)

Kazami finished persuading herself and looked away from the corpse.

(Wh... what is this...!? This is what Ms. Tachibana really experienced!?)

Subject N had survived until this time and manipulated everyone's memories. So if Kazami's memories had been distorted, that meant only her memories of before this point in time would have been altered. However, there was no floral scent in this memory. And the ''spirit of Subject N'' that had shown up in Watase, Ukita, and Jun's minds hadn't made an appearance.

(... What's going on...? Is she in another memory later on...?)

Natsuhiko thus continued to read through Kazami's memories as he pondered on the meaning of that mystery. It was only a little later on that yet another strange event occurred-- It was in a memory of right after Yuuri had vanished.

Watase spoke up beside Kazami, in a voice full of worry.

The AD will only last about another hour. She'll be in big trouble if we don't find her before then.
...Yes...
Though with that said, if Yuuri was hiding a card from us, we can't fully deny the possibility she was hiding some AD on--...

Watase's voice grew distant again.

(Why...? Where would she go off to all by herself in such a dangerous situation...!?) Please be safe...!

Kazami muttered that and went running off. --She then heard the same voice she had noticed earlier.

???: {Or she could end up dead, just like me...}
...!

The voice sounded as though it were echoing inside her head. Kazami gritted her teeth and mentally replied to it.

(... I know... You're an auditory hallucination, aren't you...? It's my guilt at failing to save you that's causing me to hear this voice, isn't it? There's no other way.)
???: {...}

The voice went quiet. Kazami endured her guilt and continued talking in her mind.

(I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I'll make sure you get a proper burial once this is all over... so please don't blame me right now, at the very least...)

--But she couldn't hear the auditory hallucination anymore. That brought Kazami both relief-- --and a slight twinge of loneliness.

(This is strange! What's happening!?)

Yuuri's voice echoed in Natsuhiko's head while he reeled from astonishment.

{Th-this isn't right, Hikorin! Something's wrong!}
(Yeah! What's the deal with the auditory hallucination!? Why is that happening!?)
{Don't tell me that N used telepathy... just like you used telepathy on Captain Kasasagi!?}
(No, that's impossible! I mean, Subject N's already dead... That shouldn't be happening...!)

What's more, there was no floral scent in this memory either. It was an inexplicable phenomenon that was neither memory manipulation nor telepathy-- But Natsuhiko knew fully well what it was.

(Don't tell me that Ms. Tachibana...!)

A new suspicion was born into Natsuhiko's mind. It was only a little bit after that memory-- That yet another bizarre event occurred.

She was keeping an eye on the monitors by herself. She figured that the least she could do while she was recovering there was check the monitors-- But she couldn't muster much effort into it.

(To think that there could be a murderer in this facility even at this very moment...!)

Fear and trepidation began to take root in Kazami's mind. Though this was the first N disaster she'd ever encountered, she figured all she had to do was focus on rescue efforts like always. But the situation had changed far too quickly. She was reminded of what Ena had said when they discovered the cargo lift had been sabotaged. ''This was no ordinary disaster. Someone meant for this to happen.'' Jun had also said there were terrorists hiding in the city. To be honest, a part of her agreed with the both of them-- But she didn't breathe a word of it and adamantly denied the possibility.

(The situation's already harsh. What we have to fear the most here is everyone starting to jump at shadows...! We can't let ourselves fall prey to that. We must work together to get through this. If we don't, we may not survive...)

But if she were to follow Ena and Jun's suspicions to their logical conclusion with the knowledge that only nine people were in the facility, that would lead her to one damning suspicion: ''One of us is the culprit''-- That was exactly why Kazami could not admit to the existence of a killer.

(But in that case... who killed that girl? Why did Ms. Yuuri vanish? Did the real culprit already escape...?)

Her doubts welled up and filled her heart. But Kazami shook her head and denied them.

(No, I mustn't think that! I'm letting myself fall to pieces right now! It's too dangerous to let these thoughts control me--)

Just as Kazami tried again to convince herself-- --a voice called out from behind her.

!?

Kazami turned around in shock--

Eek...!

A gasp emerged out of her mouth. The girl who'd been lying dead by the lift earlier was standing right next to the door.

Y-you're...!

Astonishment stole the words from Kazami's lips. The girl took that moment to speak up.

{... Sorry for startling you like that. But I just couldn't bear to watch you trying to go down the wrong path...}

She had the same voice as the auditory hallucination she'd heard earlier. An unbelievable thought overwhelmed Kazami.

A-are you a ghost...!?
{Something like that, I guess... Not even I'm really sure.}
You're not sure...!? (If she's not a ghost-- then does that make her an illusion!? If that's the case, has my sanity already deteriorated that much...!?)

But what she was looking at didn't seem like an entity as vague as either a ghost or an illusion. The girl continued as Kazami struggled with her confusion.

{Please don't be so scared... I just want to help you.}
Wh-why?
{I don't really know either, but maybe I've taken a liking to you?}
...?
{Anyway, there's something I want to tell you. If you want to survive, you have to doubt everyone around you.}
Doubt? Doubt who?
{Everyone but yourself. Especially... yes, especially Mr. Watase.}
Wh-what are you talking about!?
{Surely you've caught on as well, haven't you...? Some things about his amnesia are just plain unnatural.}
Ah, that's...!
{You see, I've been thinking... maybe this culprit you're all afraid of... Is none other than Mr. Watase?}
Stop! Why would you say that!?

Kazami instinctively shouted in response to that statement.

He's not that kind of person!
{But really think about it. Isn't there a chance he's lying to you all? Why do you think he'd have to lie like that...? Maybe there's something he wants to hide from everyone. Even you.}
I won't believe that... Who in the world are you? Why are you telling me all of this...!?
{... I don't know. I have no memories. I don't remember a thing about myself.}

A lonely expression suddenly appeared on the girl's face.

{... But I feel like I was in some dark place for a very long time. I'm sure it's there that my mind slowly corroded away. All I have is doubt, hatred for others, a desire to kill... and little else.}
No way... But you're talking to me normally right now, aren't you?
{You're right. I wonder why that is...?}
...?
{... Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you. Well, I'll be going now.}

The girl said that, then smiled.

W-wait!

But right when Kazami shouted that... The door opened.

...!

Kazami came back to her senses and looked at the door.

C-Captain... and everyone else too...!
Tachibana... are you by yourself?
That is correct... Why, does it look like someone else is here?

Kazami concealed all emotion and expression on her face and answered calmly. She didn't want to let them know what had just happened. Not by any means.

Natsuhiko was speechless. He could hear Yuuri's hollow voice.

{You don't mean that, just like you... Ms. Tachibana was...}
(Yeah...)

Natsuhiko answered dumbfoundedly.

(Ms. Tachibana was seeing... a phantom Subject N.)

--Just like how Natsuhiko had seen Yuuri's phantom for nine years. Kazami too had been constantly seeing an illusion so lifelike she was convinced it had to be real.

(B-but why was it only Ms. Tachibana that saw a phantom...? I mean, this is nothing like what happened with Watase!)

Subject N's tone and manner of speech here were also clearly different from Kazami's. Much like how Yuuri's phantom hadn't talked like Natsuhiko.

{Come to think of it, her circumstances closely resemble yours in this regard, don't they...? Lieutenant Tachibana lost her sister nine years ago and fell into complete stupefaction-- and her memory was also manipulated on top of that. So maybe it's not all that strange that she started seeing a phantom...?}
(No... I don't think that's enough to explain everything...!)

But he couldn't come up with a clear answer. Natsuhiko read more of Kazami's memory. And the next time the illusion showed up--

--and failed.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Kazami instinctively shook Salyu off with all her might.

!
--Salyu!

(Oh God... what have I done...!?)

Kazami walked up to Watase and Salyu in blank shock.

Captain... is she...?
It's okay, she's just passed out.
I-I see...

Though she was relieved to hear that-- --Kazami thought about Salyu's words once again. ''This man is a terrorist. He attacked us last night and this morning as well. Everything that's happening here is all his fault. Even you should have questioned that idea several times.'' --Those words brought her heart great pain. Her body began to shake in fear.

Tachibana...?

Watase sounded confused. Kazami wrapped her arms around herself to stop her shivers and tried to answer him.

Captain, I...

''I trust you.'' That was what she wanted to say. But at that moment--

--a voice echoed in her head.

The girl from earlier was standing right next to Kazami before she even realized it. The girl looked at Watase along with Kazami and spoke.

{That Sannomiya kid's right... There really are terrorists. And Mr. Watase is one himself.}

A thought flashed through Kazami's brain when she heard that.

(Now that I think about it, that BC rejection group has been causing quite a number of incidents recently...! The people who caused the Great Rokumei City Arson all those years ago have committed yet another act of terrorism... But if that's the case, then why would a BC rejection group attack this facility?)

The girl answered that question.

{Hey, there's no nuclear reactor here, right? So if this place isn't a nuclear research facility, what could it be...? There's one more industry that's just as vital as nuclear power to this city... Now what is it again?}

Kazami realized it at that moment.

(Impossible... is this place... A BC research facility!?)

Now that she thought about it, Watase didn't like BC. That was why she had barely ever discussed the topic with him. She never mentioned how how she had aptitude, albeit not much of it-- nor did she mention her sister's case, either.

(So for some reason, Watase's hatred for BC grew worse, he became a terrorist... and attacked this facility!? Then Dojima and Hiyama tried to stop him and were killed by him for it!? Which means those researchers and that girl also got caught up in it all and were...!?)

She didn't want to believe any of it. But if it weren't true, then why had Salyu called Watase a terrorist? Why did Watase have a gun? Why had he lied? --She couldn't come up with a single solid answer.

(Then if he committed any crimes, it was before he lost his memories-- Which means he forgot about his sins due to his amnesia...?)

Those thoughts drove Kazami to look at Watase with fear.

...Taohibana, why... why are you looking at me like that? Wait, you don't believe what Salyu said, do you? It's ridiculous! There's no way in hell I could be a terrorist! I don't care if I have amnesia, I'm -sure- of that! You guys know better than anyone else that I've been a rescue worker for ages, don't you!?

--He was right. He was a strict yet kind man who always kept on fighting to protect people's lives. Watase was supposed to be a true rescue worker who'd taught Kazami how to live her life in a strong manner while her heart was still scarred from Nagisa's death.

(My hero... is a murderer?)

Despite that, Kazami asked Watase one final question.

...Captain, may I ask you just one question?
...What is it?
Captain, why was it that you went down to the basement at 6:42 AM, shortly after this accident occurred?
That's-- I told you guys, that's because Dojima and Hiyama called for me on their radio...
So what you're saying is that your radio could receive transmissions then, correct? But... but you know... I personally tried to reach you on your radio just a few minutes before that...!
...!
Why was it that Dojima and Hiyama's transmission got through to your radio, yet mine did not...? Did you make it... so that my transmissions weren't received for some reason...?
H-hey-- how long have you been thinking that?
Ever since you said you 'got some of your memories back'... when you told us why you went down to the basement. But I didn't say anything... because I trusted you... I figured that time discrepancy was just you remembering the time incorrectly...!

Kazami lowered her eyes and continued in a shaky voice.

I... I tried as hard as I could to trust you. I've trusted you for as long as I can remember.

--But the faith she spoke of-- Was shattered by one sentence from the girl.

{He's the culprit.}
(...!)
{Hey, you're the only one who's realized his true colors, aren't you...? If he is delivered his just deserts here, then his sins will never come to light. Don't you think he should die here as Watase Kasasagi the rescue worker...?}

Those words reached the deepest parts of Kazami's heart.

(You're right... I have to act now to preserve his good name--!)

And in that moment, Kazami's mind--

All that came through after that were fragments of her incoherent thoughts.

You went down the wrong path...

This is the only thing... I can do for you now...

OPEN THE GATE, WATASE!

Anger, sorrow, a desire to kill, and all other sorts of emotions... They formed a fierce whirlpool of malice that Natsuhiko was dumbfoundedly floating in.

(Wha... what should I do!? How can I save Ms. Tachibana!?)

{The fact that Lieutenant Tachibana has been brought to this state means that N's spirit should be here somewhere! It's just that Lieutenant Tachibana has been infected with malice far worse than the others, that's all! You have to find N somehow and erase her!}
(R-right! Then I'll go search through more memo--)

But right when Natsuhiko thought that... Kazami's head--

--was filled with the sound of a woman's echoing voice.

(!?)

It wasn't Subject N's voice. It belonged to none other than the person whose mind Natsuhiko was linked to at this moment--

(Ms. Tachibana!?)
{H... how!?}

Neither of them had ever experienced the target of their Senses Sympathy talking back to them while the process was still underway. But that wasn't all. Even more bizarre phenomena occurred.

(--What!?)

Everything Natsuhiko had seen and heard up until this point in time flashed through his head.

He remembered that phenomenon.

It was those high speed flashbacks he had when Yuuri read his memories this morning right after he arrived at LABO.

(Why are my memories being read--!?)

He had no clue what was happening. Kazami then continued.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

(...!)

That was the same thing Yuuri had said back then. Natsuhiko was assaulted by intense anxiety.

{Tenkawa, you planned to erase this girl, didn't you...!? But that's the same as killing her. Do you have the right to play judge, jury, and executioner like that...? Answer me, Tenkawa!}

A savage malice surged forth with that voice!

(!!)

It suddenly started worming its way into Natsuhiko's mind all at once.

(Aah, aah, aah...)

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!)

--and cut his link to Kazami's mind.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This is going well.

E: It occurs to me that, while Kazami might have walked in here with Aptitude D, there's no reason she couldn't have acquired Aptitude S, as did Natsuhiko, as a result of WX radiation poisoning. Here's hoping that outnumbering her 2:1 will help. Or, given what I mentioned earlier about residual radiation, that we actually do outnumber her 2:1!

Here's also hoping that Salyu remains as incompetent with BC as she did before. The only way an N-ified Salyu could possibly get worse is if she suddenly mutated to Aptitude S. She didn't before, but ...

E2: Given the anime/VN concept of conservation of characters, I find it really surprising that we haven't heard more about that French biologist...

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 19, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, we got so used to fighting fake memories we've got no clue about the real ones.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
McD, I have a question for you that's related to my earlier work on the Enneagram. How well, in your opinion, do each of the characters stick to their type?

Also, for the rest of you: What do you think of the information I provided earlier in the LP? Has it improved your experience?

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

TheMcD posted:

{All I have is doubt, hatred for others, a desire to kill... and little else.}
I should trust this person over my longtime friend and former boyfriend.

I know she's using psychic powers and all that, but it still feels weird that all it took to get Kazami to try and murder Watase was an inconsistency in the story of an amnesiac, some rude conversations, and an evil ghost telling her to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

McD, I have a question for you that's related to my earlier work on the Enneagram. How well, in your opinion, do each of the characters stick to their type?

Well, let's take a look:

- Type 1, the Reformer (Ukita): "[...] conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong [...] crusaders [...] they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic".
Fits for somebody so troubled with what his workplace is doing that he turns to terrorism to combat it.

- Type 2, the Helper (Mashiro): "[...] empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted [...] friendly, generous, and self-sacrificing [...] well-meaning [...] but can slip into doing things for others in order to be needed".
This works pretty well for Mashiro, the one that essentially took on the burden that Miyoko should have taken on simply out of her love for Natsuhiko. She also wins over Salyu by simply being open and sincere with her desire to help.

- Type 3, the Achiever (Ena): "[...] self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic [...] typically have problems with workaholism".
It's not quite as bang-on as with somebody like Ukita, but it still fits.

- Type 4, the Individualist (Salyu): "[...] self-aware, sensitive, and reserved [...] emotionally honest [...] [w]ithholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective [...] problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity".
Once again, this fits pretty well.

- Type 5, the Investigator (Watase): "[...] alert, insightful [...] able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills [...] detached, yet high-strung and intense [...] problems with [...] isolation".
This is a bit more tricky, given that Watase essentially has two personalities: The Captain, the detached, hard-rear end rescue worker that values his own survival highly, and The Amnesiac, the gung-ho, enthusiastic rescue worker that jumps at the opportunity to save people, risking death in the process. Still, there's bits here that fit pretty well.

- Type 6, the Loyalist (Kazami): "[...] committed, security-oriented [...] reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy [...] can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious [...] typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion".
I find that last part to be particularly fitting right now, as we're revisiting Kazami's suspicions about Watase getting the best of her.

- Type 7, the Enthusiast (Natsuhiko): "[...] extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous [...] [p]layful, high-spirited, and practical [...] constantly seek new and exciting experiences [...] have problems with impatience and impulsiveness".
This is kind of interesting, because all of this applies perfectly to young Natsuhiko. However, as a result of the incident at LABO, Natsuhiko has actively rebelled against his old self and as such has become an inversion of his Enneagram type.

- Type 8, the Challenger (Jun): "[...] self-confident, strong, and assertive [...] [p]rotective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive [...] sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating [...] have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable".
Again, this is fairly accurate in describing Jun.

- Type 9, the Peacemaker (Yuuri): "[...] accepting, trusting, and stable [...] optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace [...] want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict [...] tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting".
This is also a good description of Yuuri, who sacrificed her freedom for Natsuhiko's sake without a second thought and has talked herself into believing that being locked up in LABO is perfectly acceptable as long as it prevents problems for others.

Overall, the characters follow their Enneagram types fairly well. Of course, that's almost to be expected, given that they were probably written with these types as a baseline to begin with.

• Locked thread