Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wasn't there an old twilight zone or amazing stories where a kid wishes for all the money in the world and gets it and the world falls apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

poo poo I'd live just about anywhere for 100000 figgies

and with 4 or 5 roomates you could in nyc!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

and with 4 or 5 roomates you could in nyc!!!

he could buy the entire planet

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the joke is nyc real estate is v. expensive even for a literal zillionaire

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

another fun joke: what is this the local?!?!?

you can use that whenever something is going slowly

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

power botton posted:

The local what?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Doom Mathematic posted:

The local what?

it's a union joke

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

power botton posted:

it doesn't work if you're actually on the local

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

RISCy Business posted:

it's a union joke

p sure it's a train joke so trains have claimed another thread :rip:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

p sure it's a train joke so trains have claimed another thread :rip:

oh, i'm not the kind of person who likes trains

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
knowing an offer is coming and having to wait is really annoying

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Management posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

otoh knowing an offer is coming while working a job you're ready to quit is total zen

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

otoh knowing an offer is coming while working a job you're ready to quit is total zen

yeah it's loving amazing totally reworked my work-life balance during those two months (three?)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

then you get the offer and you're all 'do I tell them after the daily standup? 🤔🤔🤔 maybe wait until the director talks about how he thinks this project just might make it. lol yeah that'll be good'

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

then you get the offer and you're all 'do I tell them after the daily standup? 🤔🤔🤔 maybe wait until the director talks about how he thinks this project just might make it. lol yeah that'll be good'

after you tell the team, they realize that the director could actually be right this time

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here is my secret to project planning as a small team tech lead: never give or accept an estimate any lower than the time it would take for you to just do the entire thing yourself

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm already imagining how and when I'm giving notice. so stoked to be outta here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

giving notice owns

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

giving notice owns

It really does

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

here is my secret to project planning as a small team tech lead: never give or accept an estimate any lower than the time it would take for you to just do the entire thing yourself

profound business practice

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
i think I've may have costanza'd my way to a better job.

currently team lead at dysfunctional large enterprise. lately I've spent at least one morning per week sitting in the parking lot holding back tears (it's amazing how far you can lie to yourself that all will work out).

a few weeks back we had a really good presentation from a aquihired VP on a future product. i asked a lot of aggressive in depth questions about a lot of stuff he didn't think about. yesterday, he called me in and told me he likes the cut of my jib and that he's starting the project as a 6 months skunk works get-it-done and he wants me onboard.

gonna keep on costanin', sent a mail to my boss "hey boss, I don't want to be team lead anymore. let's meet and talk about why and what I want to do instead"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Bloody posted:

giving notice owns

im p pumped for it, especially since im the only one who works on backend and custom processes for our support software. when I leave all these poor bastards are going to have to learn them a code or :rip:

lol at using the excuse "im not a programmer :shrug:" for a sandbox product that's literally 20% gui, 40% sql, and 40% java. you've earned this you fuckers

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

sometimes I even fantasize about quitting jobs I like

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

AWWNAW posted:

sometimes I even fantasize about quitting jobs I like

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gave notice two weeks ago, followed by meetings with manager, manager's manager and manager's manager's manager in quick succession, all "trying to understand" why I'm leaving

How could it have been a surprise you motherfuckers, the company does literally nothing to keep non-management people happy and committed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

giving notice owns
was it you that accidentally forwarded your acceptance letter to currentjob because that owned harder than anything

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Double Bill posted:

Gave notice two weeks ago, followed by meetings with manager, manager's manager and manager's manager's manager in quick succession, all "trying to understand" why I'm leaving

How could it have been a surprise you motherfuckers, the company does literally nothing to keep non-management people happy and committed

"🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 mmmnope I got nothing"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

lol at using the excuse "im not a programmer :shrug:" for a sandbox product that's literally 20% gui, 40% sql, and 40% java. you've earned this you fuckers

lmao do you work with me.

also constantly hiring people with 0 scripting experience and being surprised when they don't work out time and time again.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

was it you that accidentally forwarded your acceptance letter to currentjob because that owned harder than anything

I'm still 15% that they didn't do that on accident

it's still awesome

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

after you tell the team, they realize that the director could actually be right this time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
You are approved for an offer! Are you available [7 hours from now] for a call?

nggggghhh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

yep. it loving owned so hard lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the best part is im still actual friends with my former coworkers so they text me about how they've added literally five whole people to the project to replace just me. if they'd just paid me 5x instead i woulda stayed!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Double Bill posted:

we strung you along for four months before telling you there was no money for raises this year. what? youre leaving? dear god why?!?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive given notice twice, always a good time

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 19, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Progressive JPEG posted:

:drat:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Double Bill posted:

maybe i just get off on being withholding, but ime the best part is saying "oh no, nothing you could have done differently, just a great opportunity i couldn't pass up!" with a smug grin

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

handed in notice at old job about 4 weeks after i got promoted to senior dev and given a whole 6% pay rise for it

boss offered me a 40% increase to stay lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

maybe i just get off on being withholding, but ime the best part is saying "oh no, nothing you could have done differently, just a great opportunity i couldn't pass up!" with a smug grin
:same:

• Locked thread